Merryvale Assisted Living - Oxford, GA

Dad's home!

My Dad was a resident of Merryvale for nearly two years. It was his home! He loved the other residents and the staff.
During his last few months, his health necessitated that he transfer to a full nursing care facility, but he wanted to return to his home at Merryvale.
The engagement provided by Merryvale was exactly what Dad needed. Every exercise session, bingo afternoon, devotionals, singing - all of these kept him active and prevented him from being lonely or depressed.
Most importantly for Dad, the care ... real, genuine care ... that he received from the staff at Merryvale was superb. Our family took great comfort in knowing that the professionals at Merryvale would do anything for him.

Friendly Tour

I toured this community for my sister, and her needs. My tour went well, everyone was kind. The community looked nice, and well-kept. The staff I came across was friendly. It was a good experience, but it wasn't the one for us.

Very Clean!!

During my tour of this community, the tour guide was very friendly and knowledgeable. The place was very well maintained and had a positive atmosphere. The only downfall was the price, it was out of my budget.

Very pleased overall.

My wife lived in Rose Lane (Memory Care) for approximately 14 months. I personally liked the arrangement of clusters for the residents, with 8 apartments to a cluster and a common area offering seating and a television. Also, each cluster was visible to the central resident assistant work area.

Another positive was the excellent meal preparation and proximity to the central kitchen. High marks go to the chef on staff.

Things were good

She is no longer there, she is at a nursing home rehab facility. She does still have a place at Merryvale. While she was there things were good. We do not have any issues or complaints with the staff or the facility.

Excellent care in all areas. My Dad laughed more the first 3 weeks he was there than he has in years? Everyone there is always smiling and friendly.

Absolutely Wonderful

They have been absolutely wonderful to my loved one. The process of getting him was amazing and I could not ask for better service or care from them. I cannot think of any improvements that they need to make.

A caring and compassionate assisted living home. Great staff.

Our mother spent almost 2 years at Merryvale and we were very pleased by the care and compassion the staff showed her and our family.

I think it is telling that most of the staff remained intact for the 2 years she was there. That tells me that management cares about the staff which means they care about the residents.

Our mother was able to transition from minimal care to full memory care and the transition, while a little traumatic for mother, was done with assistance from the staff. When she made her last move the staff took a picture of her old room and arranged the new room identically to the new room. She never knew she had been moved. Now that is care and compassion.

We highly recommend Merryvale.

Dependable, consistent loving care

My aunt has lived very independently, alone, for the last thrity-five of her 96 years. She had two separate falls that required hospitalization, rehabilitation, and two stays at Merryvale until she was able to return home. She fell a third time in August, 2014, requiring the same follow-up care, except this time her dementia has progressed such that she should not attempt living alone. Based on my/her experience at Merryvale, there was never a moment's doubt in my mind that Merryvale is the best and most caring place she can be. The way Gena and her staff "get to know" each resident; the care and love they provide my aunt -- and me -- feels like family.

Dad called it home.

My father was a resident at Merryvale Assisted living close to four years. He always referred to Merryvale as "home" where he felt close to those who ministered his well-being and secure in their application of his daily routine and medications. My experience of being in the room with Dad day and night the last four days of his life demonstrated to me vividly why he was content there. All of the administration showed care and concern until his last breath. They presented the family with computer photographs they had taken of Dad during the "fun and smiles" he displayed during their fellowship and game time. Though mid-nineties and legally blind from macular degeneration they were very patient with him even during outings with his walker, craft-time and his favorite.....Bingo. Being an ordained minister, my Dad appreciated the spiritual services and made many friends.

WE LOVE MARRYVALE

Our dad, a retired minister, was a guest at Merryvale for about three years. We cannot say enough about the caring staff and the service he received for all those years. At the end, hospice was called in and the cooperation was magnificent. Gena and her staff will welcome your loved one and make them feel just like family; and you will be relieved knowing the kind of care they are receiving. Each day is filled with as many activities as one can enjoy. God bless you, Merryvale!

George Warren
Family member

Nice place, overall

I've had a good amount of experience with this community in the past, although I did not end up selecting it during my current search. It is a very nice, well kept place, and the staff are friendly and professional. They've done a great job in the past, and they are definitely worth a look if you are looking into senior care in the area!

They people at Merryville are very lo...

They people at Merryville are very loving.

I Have lived here for three months. I...

I Have lived here for three months. It is GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Executive Director, Gena McLendon, has organized this place to be like a Ritz Carlton, but a lot cheaper! Everyone and I mean all residents love the care, food, cleanness, activities they have here in Merryvale. I haven't heard a complaint from the employees or the residents the whole time I have been here. Call me at [removed] for a reference.

Angels Among Us

After caring for Mother in our home for almost eight years, it was a MAJOR LIFE TRANSITION for our families when the realization came that we could not provide the 24-hour care that she needed. We had been visiting Merryvale A.L. once a month for a while helping to provide entertainment for the residents, and we also knew residents there, who were very happy with both levels of care. After visiting other “homes”, we moved Mother into Merryvale A.L. in September of 2013. Mother not only had a new home, but we were all blessed as we acquired many new “extended family” members (the Staff and the Residents). They have all become our extended “family”.
In February, 2014, after a broken hip and additional dementia, we were very grateful to have the opportunity to return to our “family” at Merryvale A.L., although it was necessary to move into the Dementia Unit with Hospice Care.
Now we can offer first-hand experience with and support for both units at Merryvale. We cannot say enough good things about the Merryvale staff. We believe God has provided “Angels among us” to care for our loved ones when we cannot.
So, if you are looking for a home for your loved one, Merryvale should be at the top of the list! May God bless you as you make your decision!!

My father in law wasn't sure what to ...

My father in law wasn't sure what to expect, moving from his own place into assisted living. But he is so happy at Merryvale. All the chores of daily life are no longer his burden. He is free to relax and enjoy the activities and social interactions with fellow residents and courteous, professional staff. It is such a relief to know he is safe, healthy and happy in his new home.

Merryvale is the "real deal".

Even though it was her decision, we were concerned about Mom moving into an assisted living facility. We researched a number of facilities and took Mom to several. When she left Merryvale, her comment was, "I think we've found my new home." That led us to a series of interviews with Merryvale management and staff and were very happy about the results. We also asked about Merryvale around the community and heard nothing but positive comments and praise. We moved in Mom in late February, 2014.

It's now mid-April 2014, and we couldn't be happier with the situation. Mom feels very much at home and has definitely become part of the Merryvale "family". We have met a number of the staff and they are all resident-oriented. They recognize that these are individuals and provide exactly the amount of assistance each person requires or requests.

Mom's family now has great peace of mind. She lived alone in a rather remote location for almost four years after Dad passed. Neighbors, friends, and family kept an eye on her, but we still had great concern for her well being . Although Mom just turned 90, she's sharp, in good health, and capable of taking care of herself, for the most part. We know she's now in good hands.

I hardly ever write reviews, but felt compelled to share my opinion that Merryvale is the "real deal." If you are looking for a place that really cares about its residents, whether short-term or long, this is the place.

Extra Level of Care

Gena,

I want to thank you for taking quick action regarding my mother's reaction to the amoxicillin.

I just talked to Betty and Carmichael's just delivered the Benadryl. (7:45PM)

All of the people at MerryVale are so caring and helpful. We appreciate the culture you have created that results in this level of care.

Clean & neat. They follow the rules. ...

Clean & neat. They follow the rules. I love it. great food, nice new dinning room. Room is clean and perfect.