Bickford of Champlin - Champlin, MN

to far for me to visit on a regular basis.

Second thoughts

My loved one has been there for 6 months now. At First I thought it was a nice place but now I am totally frustrated. As with any facility I am sure - the laundry is HORRIBLE! Things go missing and other peoples clothes (underwear) included end up in the room and drawers. There isn't enough staff and when you push the buzzer it takes somebody a long time to get there. I asked once if there is a log with times recorded that they are check on and did not get an answer. I had to complain about brown stuff on the walls and handrail in the bathroom that had been there for weeks and should have been cleaned off. My loved one has fallen 3 times now. I am starting to think about moving my loved one out to another facility.

Beware of false advertising

Beware of false advertisement. If it sounds too good to be true...it probably is. This is our personal experience. I have never written a review before but now that we are in a better place and can see the drastic difference in care, felt it was important to offer up some of our experiences. Bottom line, if management is not quality, the care won't be either.
Some of the claims on the Gracewood website include:
Claim 1: Reliable and well trained caregivers are on-site 24/7 to provide supervision and assistance with cares...
Care is very inconsistent. I thought nursing assistants were certified but later was told they are not required to hire trained staff. So, the "well trained staff" are trained by the facility. Staff turn over is very high. Only 1 assistant per shift for assisted living side and 1 assistant for memory care. 1 medication passer. No management overseeing employees on evening or night shift and I rarely saw the RN or House Manager during the day. Call lights can be on for several minutes or longer before someone arrives to room. Unfortunately, the "good" employees leave as they are overworked and underpaid. Imagine, if the 1 aide is assisting a resident on toilet and the med passer is assisting a resident, and then you have another resident who has fallen or is needing help, there is no one there. For some residents, this would be ok however for most, help is needed and that is why they are there and paying extra fees for services which they are not receiving in a timely manner. When we toured the facility, we were told there would always be 2 staff available to assist with cares. This is definitely not what was experienced.
Claim 2: Safety checks every 2 hours (or as needed) to help prevent falls. My loved one reports not being looked in on for several hours at a time and when puts call light on can wait for up to 45 minutes before help arrives.
Claim 3: Our caregivers are scheduled in a way to help promote recognition and reassurance for your loved one... Staff is very limited. I heard from residents that they don't feel very reassured and often feel guilty as they see the limited staff there working so hard. Sometimes I would come for a visit and ring the door bell and no one will come to let me in.
Claim 4: We've got great cooks and our fully equipped kitchens provide home cooked meals along with many healthy snacks available 24/7... We had been disappointed to visit during mealtimes and observe residents having a hard time cutting food, food is not always prepared in a way that is enjoyed by seniors. Staff do not walk around and ask if help is needed, nor do they ask residents if they would like more or something different if they are not eating. One lady came very late to dinner as she had a visitor. She found her food sitting at the table cold for her to eat. Breakfast is continental.
Claim 5: Activities are scheduled throughout the day and we invite our local churches, music groups and child care organizations to join us to provide a multi-generational experience... There are activities (bingo, crafts) but activities are the same each week, nothing new, no off site "fieldtrips", no 1:1 visiting. With this said, activities are probably the best feature of the facility.
The facility is lovely, has a homey feel and rooms are adequate. Cleaning is pretty good however limited. Stains on carpet sometimes that aren't cleaned for several weeks. Dishes after meal times can sit on table for quite a while before someone cleans up.

Unfortunately looks are deceiving sometimes and the nurse who originally met with us when we toured told us everything we wanted to hear. We quickly realized the true scoop and had to leave. We still have friends in the facility and hear it hasn't changed since we left a short time ago. I was told the staff turnover is even worse. Very sad. I ran into an employee who was one of our favorites and she is still working there but looking for another job as morale is so low and there is no managerial support.

I came home and just had to write a review as I hope it can make a difference for families looking for care. It may be a cheaper facility but you also have to take into consideration that it is still a tremendous amount of money and if your loved one is not getting quality care, I don't think it is worth it anyway.

We were at the Champlin Gracewood. I don't know if other locations are better but I would assume that the overall management is the same.

I was very disappointed in the care that my Mother was given. She ended up with a UTI and is now on medication for it.

A nice small homey place to be.

I moved my mom into Gracewood 2 weeks ago. I am very pleased with the staff and the care provided. It is a smaller facility so the residents don't "get lost" as far as care goes. The nurse there is great - she really cares and they all want to make sure the resident is well cared for and made to feel comfortable being there. They are very willing to listen to family and work along side you in the care. The rooms are all one room with a bath but if your loved one has a hard time getting around they are fine rooms. The only thing is there isn't much for activities on the weekends.

Wonderful place. Great staff small home feel setting. Great food and lots of activities. They treat thier residents with such respect and passion.

I like the fact that my mom has a sin...

I like the fact that my mom has a single room to herself. The staff are friendly and helpful, they care about the residents.