Brookdale Midlothian - Midlothian, VA

Brookdale Midlothian - Midlothian, VA has yet not published prices.

I found this facility to be one of the nicest that I have visited. the distance and the cost are a concern.

Firsthand testimonial

My Mom has been at Brookdale for four months. First respite care, then assisted living then memory care. These rapid living transitions were handled efficiently and well by Brookdale staff. Every facet of care has been conscientious and kind. Staff members are proactive to look for solutions to small problems. They strive to improve my mother's day to day life enjoyment and safety. The new chef makes great food and [Removed] plans fabulous activities and outings. It gives me peace of mind to know that caring people are frequently checking on my Mom in her room and encouraging her to get involved in activities. We're very happy!

PS - this was not my experience a few years ago with my mother-in-law at Brookdale but the all-new staff has transformed the quality of care.

Terrific staff. Beautiful facility and made the room over completely prior to Mom's move in.

Respite Stay

We used the respite service here and it was the best thing we ever did. I didn't have to go to any other communities I fell in love with the placement site on the scene. The staff is super friendly and caring I knew my mom would be in good hands. She was involved with activities while she was there which surprised us. She said, for the most part, the food was good. It was such a positive experience I would recommend them and I would use them again if needed.

Nice Facility, Tour went Well

I enjoyed my tour of this community. This is a nice community with a nice staff. Unfortunately my mother needed more care than they were able to provide. However the staff was very helpful, and gave my tons of information. I didn't feel any pressure on my tour. They were great with their follow up. I do feel this is a nice facility to recommend.

Brookdale Midlothian gets my recommendation!!

The staff at this community are really nice and management is quick to resolve issues.They have recently gotten all new management and they are doing a good job. The food is impressive. They offer a lot of activities and mom has even made suggestions for different activities. The community is very clean.

Changed my mind

I thought this would be a good fit for my father. It was clean and the staff was friendly. Then I did some searching onine for reviews and complaints. Wow. Talk about a nightmare. A local tv station has a collection of stories about the problems here. The Dept of Social Services has many inspection reports with serious violations. Changed my mind. Will not move Dad to this place.

Met with Theo. He was efficient and thorough. We viewed 3 suites, renovated and not. He was ready for us even though we were early. He realized that we are on a fact finding mission and did not want to waste our time. Very considerate and he definitely made the visit informative. It appears that assisted living communities are very willing to provide for independent situations as well so there can be a transition. For the right resident this is definitely as good community.

Stay away from Brookdale

My mother is the resident mentioned in the note below. She was only at Brookdale Midlothian for 11 weeks. They knew she was a fall risk when they admitted her. While at Brookdale, mom fell about 15 times with 5 of them so severe as to require trips to the ER for xrays, CT scans, stitches, lacerations, etc. I have all the bloody photos as proof. One of the EMS drivers told me they make a lot of ER trips from Brookdale Midlothian. An ER doctor at the hospital recommended moving my mom out of Brookdale Midlothian.
Before you put your loved one here, ask questions. Call the Dept of Social Services, call the Long Term Care Ombudsman, call the local hospital (Bon Secours St Francis), call the Chesterfield EMS. Ask all of them about this place. Don't believe the sales pitch. Ask yourself why they are offering incentives/discounts. It's because they cannot fill all the rooms. Maybe it's because of the poor care residents like my mother have received.

Do NOT select this place

Do Not Take your loved ones here

First I wouldn't wish this place on my worst enemy. Let me tell you about their memory care unit. They are very understaffed and the people that do work there, tend to work more than 13 hour days. I know because of what a person told me when my mother was there. The memory care patients are left alone more than 20 mins or more (we are talking 10-12 patients in a common area). We saw that with our own eyes. Our mother fell 3 times in one week. She has been at a rehab place for over 3 weeks and no falls because that place hires enough people to take care of their patients. Patients are left in their own waste for hours. One person's mother was there and fell constantly and they made her bring in 24 hour care for her mother. What is the excuse for this? If you can't have enough staff or aren't qualified to take care of patients with Alzheimer's/Dementia then you shouldn't offer this type of care. The night time staff is just as bad because they will be in a breakroom watching television all night as opposed to oh actually checking on patients. They will sell you a great sell but they do not follow through with what you are told. Save your money and for your own loved one's safety do not bring them to this place.

Clare Bridge

We moved my sister into the Memory Care at Brookdale Midlothian about a month ago. My sister and I have nothing but compliments for the staff here! They have been so welcoming and friendly and my sister enjoys interacting with them! We have also been so pleased with the care she has been receiving.

Don't waste your time or money here

Never put your loved one here. Sales pitch was great and made to sound like a perfect fit. Reality was at the opposite end of the spectrum. They asked for feedback, said they would fix issues, but everything got worse. High turnover, low occupancy rate....ask yourself why. Not enough staff and certainly not enough trained staff. Everyone passes the buck so problems do not get fixed. The tone is set at the top with the executive director who "investigates" but makes no improvements.

welcome home

Super friendly staff and accommodating. Resident here for short-term stay. Food excellent. Activities in transition at the current time. Residents friendly with each other. The facility is small and easy to for the residents to get to know each other and get acquainted with the physical plant.

NO, NO, NO

We moved my mom in and now only 40 days later, we are moving her out to do terrible care services. The tour was great and we were told things that sounded great. Once we got mom moved in, it was like she lived in a different place than the one we toured. We were told that a nurse or CSA would come into her room about every 2 hours to check on her. That hardly ever happened. She forgets what time meals are and we were told not to worry about that as someone would come and get her. One day we found her sitting in her room 45 min after lunch had started because no one came to get her. We asked about these things and then we were told that we could get them only if we paid more. Now at almost $6,000 a month we are still not getting the services so we have to move her again. PLEASE ONLY move someone here if they are VERY healthy.

Peace of mind

With what had been the hardest decision of my life.... It has been one of the best. I feel the presence of love, compassion and care in this community. I have been waiting to exhale and have done so, after the warmest of welcomes my mother received when I brought her home to Brookdale Midlothian.

Great job Brookdale!

My family member moved to Brookdale Midlothian at the beginning of February 2016. We are very pleased with the room, the care and services, and friendly atmosphere. Activities abound including weekly lunches around town, singers performing, book readings, games, exercises. The facility is lovely. Administrators have their eyes and ears open. My family member has been able to embrace a new feeling of "home." Thank you, Brookdale.

A great experience

The decision to finally move my mother from a home to an assisted living facility was a huge stress. After only three months, I realize what a great decision it has been, and the weight of the world has been lifted off me. Her quality of life has improved immensely. She is more social and involved with other people than she has been in the last 20 years. We don't have to worry about her being alone at her home for many of the obvious reasons. I know she is getting her medication and is cared for by the great staff at Brookdale. They have all been great, from the top management down. Responsive, friendly and "on the ball." I am very glad we chose this location, and I would recommend it to others without hesitation.

Resident in Clare Bridge Program

Beautiful facility, so spacious with lots of natural lighting and several different rooms for resident gathering and activities. The care giving staff have all been most friendly and helpful. I love the dignity with which they treat my mother and the safe, coming home feeling she has upon returning after our outings.

Brookdale Midlothian Experience

My father has been a resident of Brookdale Midlothian for a year and a half. We visited and toured other Assisted Living communities but came back to Brookdale Midlothian. The area where the community is located is one of the nicest areas in Midlothian and is convenient to friends and family who live on the other side of town. My father and the family are pleased with the friendly staff and most have gone out of their way to get acquainted with the residents to make them feel at home. The rooms are spacious with large closets and the community has multiple large patios with flowers and plants where we like to go and visit, weather permitting.
Communication is key when you care for a loved one, and
so far most staff have been willing to answer questions and respond to my father's needs.

I am very satisfied.

Mother has been in Clare Bridge memory care for over a year. I was attracted to the spaciousness of the facility- there is plenty of room to walk around, two different sitting areas for visiting and a large enclosed outdoor space. Kendall, the activities director has a fairly ambitious outing program. Recently Mom made her first trip to an art museum (VMFA). I was impressed. The staff has been very helpful and friendly to me.

3 Years Experience with this Facility

My loved one has been in Assisted Living at Brookdale for 3 years.
It is a homey, comfortable facility with many great people - both staff and residents.
There have been some issues with the service and quality of food in the dining room but I feel that these concerns are being addressed. Mamagement has been responsive.
Overall, we are happy with our experience at Brookdale.

Acitivies are top notch!

My mother has lived at Brookdale Midlothian for years now. I must say, she (and I) are happier than ever...there has been a recent positive change that has resulted in all that is GOOD.

I'd like to highlight The Activities Director - she is young, vibrant, full of education, FUN and engaging, and MOST importantly my mother LOVES her. Mother really enjoyed the trip to see The Peanuts Movie. Thank you Emily!

Not a good touring experience

We toured this community while looking into care options for a loved one. The place itself looked nice enough, but we had a disappointing experience with the sales person. She told us she'd get in touch with us after the tour to get us a price, but after a week we hadn't heard from her. I sent her a few emails over the course of a month checking in, but never heard back.

good place

I have no complaints about the facility at all. Haven't had any issues to occur.

Good respite care service, communication could be improved

We used this facility for a brief respite stay for a loved one. I thought they did a good job in terms of the care itself and the service they provided. However, I did have some issues getting things set up with them. It was difficult to get in contact with them, or to get them to return calls, so that is something they could work on.

Seemed like a nice place!

We toured this community while looking into care options for a loved one. Spring Arbor of Salisbury was a very nice looking community, and near the top of our list. The people here were friendly and professional, and the facility itself was clean and well kept. It seemed like a very nice place overall!

Hoping Claire Bridge care will improve.

One month in, our loved one is in the Claire Bridge Memory Care unit. Unfortunately, it has taken constant vigilance to make sure she has had the proper care. The admission process and leaving her for the first time didn't go well. Staff did not help with the process at all. We have to ask lots of questions to facilitate a process that should be routine. There seems to be a disconnect between the sales/management staff and the nursing caregivers. Promises made are not carried out by hands-on staff. We have had many conversations with staff to work out problems. Follow through is a big issue.
Thankfully, our loved one requires little nursing care now, but we worry she might not get all she needs if her hands on needs grow.
The plus is the activities have overall met her needs, but again, it was like pulling teeth to get staff on board. Loved one is very active.
We are trying to help facility to improve their processes so they are better able to handle high functioning residents.

Not what it once was

When we first moved my grandma in 5 years ago we could not have been more thrilled. Everything was wonderful and we trusted the staff. 2 years ago we moved my grandpa in and the staff went above and beyond to ease his transition, however about a year ago the level of care started to decline. Activities would take them out on outings without notifying us so we would come to visit and they'd be gone. [removed] One evening we mentioned to the nurse that we were concerned about my grandpa's ankle being red and swollen, we were concerned about him being unsteady and falling on it, she told us to call back in the morning to speak with the day nurse about it. We had to call multiple times to make multiple appointments in the salon just to get their hair cut once. It is really a shame what this place has become and we removed my grandparents from the facility.

Nice place, overall

So far I'd say that Southerland Place has done an excellent job, I'd give them top marks across the board. The staff are knowledgeable and caring, and they've helped us a lot with some excellent caregiving advice. The facility itself is well kept and clean, and they have a fairly good meal service as well.

So far it has been a good experience....

So far it has been a good experience. The aids and nurses have been very helpful and nice.

Lovely facility. Clean and ...

Lovely facility. Clean and well maintained common areas. Residents seemed happy and comfortable.

Another one we really liked...

Another one we really liked. Again, it may be cost prohibitive.

I visited here and found th...

I visited here and found the staff to be very nice. I met a couple of the residents and they were happy there. I wasn't there long enough and forgot to ask some questions. This cost a little more so I didn't go back.

We are pretty happy with them.

There has been some transition with the staff, a little turnover. It would be nice if they had more people available for the needs of the resident. They make it a very family oriented environment, and are so perosnal and accommodating. It is also a smaller community, it's more like a home. The food is good, and we got to have lunch at one of our first meetings which was more comfortable for her. They have options if there is something they don't like and are always willing to accommodate any special dietary requirements.

I thought it was very nice. I didn't ...

I thought it was very nice. I didn't like their memory care, it was stuck in a back location but their people seemed good, the place was clean. They didn't have a lot of memory care available and no availabilities when we looked.

Management is severely lacking in reg...

Management is severely lacking in regards to ethics, professionalism and integrity. There are virtually no activities and residents are in bed at 6:30 pm.

Had an excellent lunch there. It's a ...

Had an excellent lunch there. It's a beautiful place, and the people were friendly. Residents appeared very subdued however.

thought it was very nice