Fountaingrove Lodge - Santa Rosa, CA

Beautiful community

Fountaingrove Lodge was a beautiful community. The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable and answered all of our questions. We chose another community that had an opening for us.

A residents viewpoint

Unlike the 2 reviews listed, I actually live here. Yes the "rules" covering dining change... no progress without change. The wait staff are young people ( the pay scale has just been raised to the highest in the area for a retirement community) and they are certainly not grumpy!

Since we moved in July 2016, residents asked us to join them for diner, invited us to join them for breakfast. Everyone has been cordial and and inviting but respect your privacy.

We looked at 6 places in the San Diego area and gave up until we found FGL on the internet. Made the 10 hour drive and fell in love with the place. A golf course behind and Thomas Lake Harris Open Space in front of the building. Ok, the wild turkeys aren't that beautiful but the deer are.

On of my parents has lived here since early this year. I've visited her for a week at a time on three occasions, and usually stay in one of the guest quarters (furnished apartments that have not been leased), which are very nice and convenient. The place is beautifully appointed, concierge staff, housekeeping and grounds maintenance and health care technicians are extremely helpful, knowledgable and accommodating. Things are always quite clean and in order. The residents all look out for one another, and the vast majority are friendly and personable. I sleep better at night knowing that my parent is being cared for here.
Everything about the place is top notch. There could be a bit more creativity behind the planned activities - though there is always something to do or participate in at the lodge (arts, film, fitness, games, outings, etc.). I would like for there to be more interactive activities, helping residents get to know one another, but that's just me. It's very easy for people to feel comfortable here, but more could be done to assist people who are a bit introverted.
Problem area: the dining room administration. The chef and wait staff are great, so when one actually takes time to sit through a meal, the food is wonderful. Residents pay a monthly fee for use of meal "points" in the dining room. My parent has never used all of the points charged to the account each month, and when they're not used there is no refund or roll-over for use the next month. I don't think there is an option to purchase fewer points per month, so that is a bit of a scam. What keeps us from using the dining room? 1. There is no such thing as a "quick" meal in this place. You must make a reservation. Wait to be seated, wait for your order to be taken, wait for food prep, It's perfect if you're in the mood for a fine dining experience, but not a quick lunch. 2. The rules about dining frequently changing. I have yet to find out where they are posted, and my parent's memory is not so great. Each time I visit there has been a different "rule" that we have not followed which makes the dining hall staff grumpy and reluctant to seat us. I don't want to be served food by someone who is grumpy with me, so we eat leftovers, or go out and pay for a meal rather eating here (where the meal has already been paid for). You have to make a reservation for diner. This has to be done by 4:30 PM. If you aren't precisely on time for your reservation - grumpy staff, possibly no seating for you (or you'll have to wait). The phone message when you call the dining hall to make reservations doesn't tell you that reservations must be made by 4:30, and says that the last seating is at 7:45 (it's actually 7:15 PM). When I asked where I could learn the new rules each time I visit, the staff told me that they had instructed my parent on this "a number of times." One would think that in a retirement community they would be more understanding of people with memory problems, and less likely to condescend to them or shame them in front of their grown children.
If Fountaingrove Lodge ever gets the dining hall running smoothly (from the residents' and guests' perspective), it will really be an exceptional place for those who need assisted living without nursing care.

Oakmont Senior Living

Thank you for taking the time to review our community. We are so proud to have such a great team here at Fountaingrove Lodge and are happy to hear that you have had good experiences with them. I would love to meet with you to discuss some of the concerns you mentioned in your review so we can address them and take into consideration any improvements you suggest. I have an open door policy for residents, family, friends and visitors, to express their thoughts or concerns, so please don’t hesitate to contact me anytime. Warm Regards, Brent Thatcher, Regional Executive Director

The deposit Is way Too High...

The deposit Is way Too High and then Monthly rent is more than I pay now Plus it is way up in Santa Rosa - I Like where I Live-

Experience FGL, the nations first active independent LGBT retirement community offering five-star services and ammenities with a continum of care in the heart of Santa Rosa, Sonoma County's wine country. You will find an invitiing, supportive and active resort lifestyle, located on 10 acres of exceptional natural beauty, where you can live, relax and enjoy a community of friends.

Entrance Fees ranging from 189,500k - 925,500k with Repayment Options and a monthly fee for services provided.

Indoor Amenities:
Bistro, Library, Art Studio, Activity & Card Room, Computer & Business & Fitness Center, Salon and Day Spa, Wood Shop, Wine Cave/Cellar, Private Dining, Formal Dining & Community Room, Cocktail Lounge, Movie Theatre, Great Hall

Outdoor Amenities:
Swimming Pool,Orchard,Bocce Court,Pet Park,Lanai Dining,Resident Gardens, Adjacent to golf, tennis, hiking trails and park
In the Main Building:

Services included in monthly fee:

All utilities except telephone and premium cable channels, weekly house keeping, Once a year deep cleaning, Concierge service, Maintenance of residence, public areas, buildings and grounds. Safety and security systems, Professional staffing 24 hours a day, Fitness program, Lodge-sponsored activities, Scheduled chauffeured transportation within ten miles, Continental breakfast and meal credits for lunches, dinners or guest meals, Educational, social, and recreational programs, 24-hour emergency call system, Valet service, Limited tray service during illnesses
Services included at additional Charge:

Dry cleaning & personal laundry, Pet care, Guest suite, Additional resident meals, Guest meals & catering, Chauffeured town car transportation, Meals delivered to your home, Grocery shopping