First & Main - Wyoming, MI

Action Needed!

Those who can live independently in assisted living at this facility are fortunate. Those who live on the dementia unit (and those from the other 2nd floor who should be on the dementia unit or aren't able to live independently) need action to insure the care and safety they deserve. The investors of this community need to step-up and support management with trained personnel to give these residents the care they desperately need and deserve. Dementia-residents sitting in the dark, watching action movies from 7-10pm without an aide present, is not an appropriate-nighttime activity for alzheimer residents. Workers hanging out in groups of 3-4, during this time , instead of interacting with those who need attention, is not resident-centered care. Aides who do not speak appropriately with dementia residents are not educated in alzheimer-care. Poor smelling hallways and unmade beds is not basic-care. Things are the worst after 4pm & on weekends. Noticing more and more vacant rooms on the third floor. Action needed now!

I like living here very much. The staff are great, I've made lots of friends. They keep me busy with Wii Bowling, Arts and Crafts where we make jewelry that I can wear. Meals are very good which is a great thing since I love to eat.
I really don't need help with everything, but staff are always willing. My suite is spacious and cozy, I am right at home. I enjoy watching Cindy Griffith in the movie theatre with one of my friends and I really enjoy the popcorn. I even have the farmers market once a week to go to right in my own front yard.

David Jackiewicz

Thank you for your kind words, we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us!

I feel safe and comfortable at First and Main, the aides are always around if I need them. My suite is always clean, my laundry gets washed and returned without any issues. I still have my own home, but I choose to live at First and Main because I enjoy living here. When I came, I needed help with everything, but they signed me up for PT and OT and I fully recovered and can take care of myself.

David Jackiewicz

Thank you for sharing these kind words! The team here at First & Main is happy to hear about your positive experience!

Unacceptable

Some days there are good things at this home but basic care is not consistent. I left the 3rd floor today and an elderly visitor complained to me in elevator. She found a friend from church she was visiting, in unacceptable condition, as well as her bathroom, due to incontinence. This was a repeated situation for her friend, that I have also experienced with our loved one. This lady was so distraught, because she has found her this way before and talked to aides about it. These are residents who need specialized care and are not being attended to by sufficient, trained staff on an Alzheimer's unit. When you visit, to check on friends and loved ones, be sure to check their rooms. If they are often in their room alone, bed unmade & without fresh hydration chances are they haven't been cared for very well that day.
Representative, director -of -operations, owner and management, we care enough about the dignity of the elderly, to give this review. This home was chosen at high cost to give exceptional care, not substandard care. These residents deserve better.

David Jackiewicz

Please accept our sincerest apologies for your recent experience in our community and the experience of the resident involved. We strive to ensure the best possible care for our residents at First & Main and think of them no less than our family. Because our family is our priority, we have set our expectations at exceptional. We take any concerns very seriously and appreciate feedback and the chance to improve. After receiving this comment, we immediately implemented a change. The Management Team will now be joining rounds on the entire community as well as re-structing our approach on training and development to ensure the highest quality of care. We have also refined our Concern Form that is available on each floor, allowing resident’s and their loved ones an opportunity to have any concerns addressed immediately. This form allows management staff to follow-up with the respondent after an investigation and implement any improvements. In addition, we always have a Shift Supervisor on duty that any matters can be brought to and addressed on the spot. Please feel free to reach out to us directly next time you are in our community and we look forward to earning back your trust!

Hands untied?

Some signs of improvement of this home for the aged in the past few weeks. More staff visible, working and checking on residents. Beds are being made and hydration stations are cold & filled. Bringing residents out of their rooms to socialize or just be together in the beautiful, numerous sitting areas is still lacking. Doing a review on this site enables real change to occur and we thank this site & others for their service. This is such an important issue because many are afraid or unable to speak themselves. Keep checking this facility especially on weekends and speak truth to the issues so we can hold the owner of this community accountable.

David Jackiewicz

Thank you for taking the time to leave this comment. We encourage residents and family members to share their experiences and we take any feedback seriously.

Best place for my mom!

This is the third place I’ve moved my mother and I could not ask for better staff and better service. My mom is so happy and engaged every day. I love all of the carestaff and the management team works hard to have fun and meet the requests of the residents. It is nice that [name removed] holds meetings for the families. Maybe the negative reviewers should attend one of those meetings instead of putting bad reviews online. I could not be happier and it is so nice to see all of the residents thriving!

David Jackiewicz

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback, we are so glad to hear how happy your mom is! Input like this is how we can keep providing our residents, and their families, what is best for them!

Hands tied.

Really wish it wasn't so, but this care home continues to decline. There is no supervision of employees that are caring for the elderly. The minimum is done for the residents. That is why you see residents with doors shut and care aides sleeping, watching tv, using cell phones, etc. Before putting your loved one in this facility visit often, unannounced and especially on weekends. When you give a review like this, the representative for First & Main asks you to contact the executive director. The executive director says his hands are tied for staffing improvement. This is the 5th ED in 2 & 1/2 years and it is the same story. You really can't blame young, unqualified, undisciplined, underpaid and unsupervised aides. There is only one hope-new ownership that will give the executive director the tools needed to make this assisted living and memory care home the vibrant community it should be!

David Jackiewicz

Thank you for taking the time to share, we are deeply sorry to hear about your frustrations. Please contact our Director of Operations, we would love the opportunity to fix this situation.

SAVE YOURSELF THE FRUSTRATION

Staff is untrained and uneducated. It feels like they grab anyone off the street. Staff call in sick all the time and are not covered so residents go unattended. If there is an issue it is ALWAYS the residents fault and the family must solve the issue as they have NO experience or interest in assisting the elderly. They behave as if they are doing you a favor letting your loved one stay there. You will pay for all the promised services and receive only the fraction they are willing to squeeze out. Oh and I know the response will be call [name removed]-who will say he is looking into it and will never follow up or solve the problem. The care team leadership acts superior and can't be bothered with even the smallest issue because once again if there is an issue it is the families problem not theirs. This place is a disgrace and we are so happy to have saved our loved one from their disaster.

David Jackiewicz

Thank you for taking time to post your review, we would like to apologize for your negative experience. We would appreciate if you could contact our Executive Director, Rex Townsend, at your earliest convenience so that we can get more details and address this issue immediately.

Couldn't ask for better for my mother

I feel really bad that First and Main is getting negative reviews from the same family members. I moved my mom in, and she is one of the first residents that moved in 2+ years ago. While there has been management turnover, it seems to be stabilized. I am very close with a few caregivers who have also been there from the beginning. The management listens to them and they have job satisfaction. The residents always look great. Not many other facilities around can get 50% attendance at almost every activity. I go in every single day to check on my mom. She is full of life and thriving since she moved in there. There are a lot of family members who love it, and I can tell you to be wary of these bad reviews as they are not true to how great First and Main is. Thank you to [Removed] and his team for all that you do for my mom!

Best place to live! Don't listen to the negative [Removed]

My family has lived here many years, and it is sad to see that people are saying what they are saying. The staff hasn't had turnover, there are a lot of people who care there, including the administration. There are some people like [Removed] who complain at everything and just will never be happy in life. These people should try to contact management instead of bashing them and try to open up the lines of communication themselves. It's easy to hide behind a computer screen instead of some of these residents who never have their children come and visit.

Stay clear of this place!

DO NOT put your loved one at this facility! Staff is awful, no one knows what they are doing, good luck even finding a staff member on the floors, they are all sitting in a hidden staff lunch room when they should be out assisting the residents! This place is all looks and No performance, stay away from this place, it is a waste of a lot of money!

David Jackiewicz

Thank you for taking time to post your review. Please contact our Executive Director Rex Townsend so that we can get more details and address this issue immediately.

Very disappointed

There is NO communication! Staff don't know what is going on. All I hear is "I'll check on that" or "I'll ask so and so". NEVER get a straight answer. As far as I know they have had 4-5 directors. Staff turnover is frequent. There are only a couple staff members I trust.
You just never get a straight answer and returned phone calls do not happen!
I have had many conversations with residents that live there and they are not happy.
I also have noticed many more empty rooms in the last 2 months.
As soon as I can my father will be transferred out of there!

No improvement

This facility is quite new & very modern with opportunity for a wonderful place for the elderly. But the sad part is basic care and social activity is compromised. Staff do not show up for work and constantly being replaced. They are not qualified or given proper training. Social life is very sparse and many residents stay in there rooms even when activities are scheduled. Residents & families keep bringing up these issues but management has no interest in resolving issues. Sad to say broken promises continue after 2 years.

Caution!

Looks Good, but appearances can also be a "red flag" . The staff do not know what they are doing, what meds they are giving or what the potential side effects of their actions are. Was told by a previous employee to "get {our family member} out of there as fast as we can".

David Jackiewicz

Thank you for taking time to post your review. Please contact our Executive Director Rex Townsend at [removed] or [removed] so that we can get more details and address this issue immediately.

Great Tour. Everyone was very nice.

David Jackiewicz

Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your visit. Remember to visit our website for more information!

The C- of assisted living centers

The facility looks great and depending on care needs could be a great place. If you have memory care problems or require lots of care I would look elsewhere. Management is on their 4th executive director since opening in 2015. All the staff is a revolving door and the "nursing team" are less than professional (attitude and appearance). The care is adequate but not much better. If your loved one is independent it might be a good fit. If you require an engaging and dynamic team this is not your place. You will be very disappointed in the "executive team" and I suggest questioning them often on care plans and activities for your loved one.

David Jackiewicz

Thank you for taking time to post your review. Please contact our Executive Director Rex Townsend so that we can get more details and address your concerns immediately.

Very clean with great amenities and support, helpful staff and a feeling of home in the rooms. It's situated on the MetroHealth Campus with doctors, dentists, shops, restaurants, and many other businesses within short distance. Lots of activities on the calendar appealing to a wide variety of personalities.

David Jackiewicz

Thank you for taking time to post your review. We appreciate your kind words and invite you to learn more about First & Main on our website!

They have learned much from their first year of opening. They are on their way up in providing the care I want for my parent.
Beautiful facility, energetic staff, making great changes...

David Jackiewicz

Thank you for taking time to post your review. We invite you to learn even more about First & Main on our website!

Beautiful facility, energetic staff, making great changes...

Never again

Mother in law spent 2 months in this facility. We were not pleased what so ever with the staff. If you had any problem you repeatable had to complain to get a response for any kind of help. It was a beautiful building but totally understaffed and know one seemed to care.