Addington Place Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids, MI

Nice Tour

I had a very nice tour of this community. Everyone was very kind, and helpful. I was pleased with the tour they gave us.

Horrible Experience!!

My father was only at this community for a short time before I had removed him from the facility for poor quality of care. There where a couple of great caregivers that where good but that is about all of the good thing i have to say about this place. They really dropped the ball on the medical aspect of his care and my family and I where very disappointed in how they handled things. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

Carrie Koster

I am sorry to hear that your experience at Crystal Springs was not good. Since your father’s stay, we have a new management company and a new executive director. We take resident care very seriously and have also brought in two new physician groups to oversee the resident’s care. We would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you in person about your experience and use your feedback to continue to improve our services.

Really nice!

This community was really nice and the people were great. The staff was very informative and I liked that I got to see the residents out and doing things in the community. Everything was super nice in this community.

Great care

Love this place. Clean, friendly and a homey atmosphere. I can relax because I know my husband is getting quality care! Thank you Crystal Springs!!

Treated Like Family

My mother received excellent care while at Crystal Springs Assisted Living. Of the several facilities we toured, their rooms were more spacious, comfortable, and easily personalized - along with being far less expensive. Staff was professional, caring and compassionate. The staff was quick to listen and respond to the few concerns we had. Food was good quality and lots of fresh varieties for snacking. Worked well with hospice to provide for end of life care - for both my mother and our family. We were treated like family.

Very Clean And Neat

So far everything is going good with the move to Crystal Springs for my mother. She can be a little hard to please at times but I know they are doing a good job over there. It is a very nice and clean place very neat looking I've only had one issue with the staff and that was the fact they missed two of mother's medicine for two months and when I realized the change that was happening with my mother I addressed my concerns with the staff and they quickly corrected everything. My mother loves the food she has no complicates there so that is very nice. For anyone looking into senior living just make sure you keep your eyes open and be aware of you loved needs and know how to communicate them to the staff of the community.

Toured, not the best fit for us

I toured this community while looking into care options for a loved one. Crystal Springs was a nice enough looking place, but I don't think it would have been a good fit for my loved one. When I visited it appeared most of the residents were in the TV room in chairs with blankets napping, and my loved one just isn't at the point where she would want to nap in the middle of the day, she needs somewhere a little more active.

Carrie Koster

Thank you for your observations. Crystal Springs has four different neighborhoods and each neighborhood is designed to meet the unique needs of the residents who live there. In our more independent areas, there are always activities and outings offered and enjoyed. It sounds like your tour may have included our memory care units. We actually celebrate when our dementia residents feel comfortable enough to nap in the living room. It tells us that Crystal Springs has become home to them. We appreciate your feedback.

Medical Needs were not met

The activities were wonderful. Some of the staff was not as trained as my mother needed. She had a lot of medical needs that were not met. She did not adjust well to the facility. Nursing care was not quite what I expected.

Carrie Koster

I am sorry that your experience was not as good as either of us would have liked. We have experienced a lot of change since your experience here. We are under a new management company and have a new Executive Director. We have also started working with two new physician groups so that we can be responsive to the needs of the residents. Thank you so much for this information, we appreciate the feedback.

Memory Care - Peace Harbor

My mother moved to Chrystal Springs Memory Care - Peace Harbor this past summer. My sisters and I toured many facilities, and were impressed with Chrystal Springs because of the activities that are geared to each individual resident. The caregivers are still getting to know my mother, but we are very pleased that she is respected as a person instead of a patient. They work hard to integrate each resident into the activities and social setting - so difficult to do in a more advanced dementia unit. We are very pleased.

Seemed like a nice place!

I visited this community while looking into care options for a loved one. Overall I thought Crystal Springs seemed like a very nice place. I was there for two hours and given a great insight on my mom's condition and the environment was nice.

High Turnover of staff, unattended residents.

This facility does everything they can to get you in the door, but once you're in the special treatment ends. I helped set up her room which was impeccably neat, clean and classy. Now it looks like a tornado hit. Dirty clothes strewn on the floor, stains on the bedspread and her loveseat, throwing things in the wash that I specifically labeled on a sign that it needs to be drycleaned. Nothing is where I put it. She is dressed in mismatched clothing, her toenails were so long that they were growing into her skin even though a podiatrist was there to see patients the day before I noticed this. She has lost her hearing aids numerous times and no one appears to be looking for it. They either don't put them in her ear or they put them in the wrong ear. $3200 and she doesn't get to use them. She was dressed for Easter service in a white sports hoodie that was covered in black stains. She went a week of being listless before someone brought it to our attention and she wound up with a pneumonia and spent 5 days in the hospital. The food is undesirable. They want to bump up our monthly rate because she went from 7 to 8 pills a day! This is ridiculous. Now they are talking about moving her to an area where she would get more care with another increase in cost. It is rare that I see any staff when I walk in, and lastly there is no welcome desk. Anyone can come in and go as they please with no accountability by staff. I am disappointed in the lack & quality of care. She has complained that the aides are too rough with her in getting her out of bed as she has a bad back. She was supposed to be using her walker, but everytime I have come to visit she is always in her wheelchair, and now she is too weak to walk on her own. Her health is declining and I'm sure it is in someway linked to her lack of quality care. There is a great turnover in staff. The ones that have been there a while provide good care but there are too many transient workers.

Carrie Koster

I am sorry to hear that you and your family member had such a poor experience at Crystal Springs. We have undergone a number of changes since 2015. We now have a new management company, new administrator and new staff members. We take pride in offering the residents a clean and comfortable environment in which to live. Our pricing structure has also changed and we no longer have a level of care system for determining monthly rates. We do all inclusive billing which makes it much easier for families to plan ahead. Thank you for giving us this feedback, we appreciate it.

Nice looking place

We toured this when we were looking into senior living options for our loved one. Overall this was a nice place. It was clean and well kept, and the staff all seemed friendly. However, it was not our favorite that we saw, and was more expensive than some of the options we looked at.

A nice place

They work with families going through some hard situations here, and they do a great job. They're very easy to work with, they listen to families and address your concerns. The community itself is pleasant, it's nice looking and they keep it very clean. The staff are all very friendly, and the activities and care they provide are good.

Not Christian

that was really nice but my mom was looking for a Christian community and this was not Christian. I thought it was nice though - clean and friendly.

Wish they had worked

Visited facilities that appeared wonderful, however, they could not accept mom with the medical problems that she had. Wish there had been a way to screen those out ahead of time.

Carrie Koster

I’m sorry too. I am sure we would have enjoyed getting to know your mom. Assisted living communities do have limits of what they can safely provide in terms of medical care and sometimes people’s needs are better served in a nursing home environment. We evaluate everyone who requests admission so that we can make sure we can provide the type of care a resident needs. We are happy that you considered our community and hope you found a location that could meet your mothers needs. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

my reviiew of Crystal Springs Life House

Crystal Springs is the only Assisted Living facility I have found in the W. MI area that has a dementia lockdown area. If you compare their rates with a nursing home facility you will find they are approximately 50% lower! The rooms are like a hotel room and can be made to feel like home by bringing in familiar items. I am happy to have found Crystal Springs though it is 65 miles from my home!

My only objection is that if your loved one is there on the 1st of the month you pay for the whole month. I paid $1,000 entry fee and for 6 weeks; my husband passed away under Hospice care in exactly 4 weeks from his date of entry. Thus, I paid for 2 weeks care that was not used. It seems to me they might consider adjusting according to days or weeks used. I am familiar with other facilities that do make the adjustment.

Carrie Koster

Unfortunately I was not here when your husband passed away. I am so sorry for your loss. I am happy to say that since 2013 we have switched to a daily charge for assisted living and so today, you only pay for the amount of time you are here. Thank you for taking the time to provide this information, we wish you and your family the very best.

Lock Down Memory Care with Great Activities and Food!

The care is more than good. My mother has been better since she's been there. They have a lock down memory care part which my mom needs.

They have varying activites. It's pretty much after breakfast until nighttime. They have different games or outside stuff. They go out to different parks or a green house or something and go around town.

I'm pretty happy with them. They have a chef that makes all the meals. They are very good meal, according to my mom. They try to get people involved with the activities - they don't let people just sit in the room all day which is a plus.

Have toured this facility and have it...

Have toured this facility and have it under consideration. It would meet our needs and I found the manager very helpful.

This to was an okay place. I think Ge...

This to was an okay place. I think Gerry could do well here.

Dumb name, cool property with memory ...

Dumb name, cool property with memory unit, levels of care. Not far from Byron Center.

Crystal Springs offers a magnificent combination of Assisted Living continuum of care options from the independent “Nantucket” themed cottages to supportive and secured Alzheimer’s care.

Through value-alignment with the concept of servant leadership, we provide compassionate care and personalized services so that our community residents experience a sense of stability, fulfillment, and well-being in their lives each and every day.

Please call for a tour of The Cottage of Crystal Springs soon!