great but too expensive

Not a great fit for me

I have mixed feeling about this community. Don't get me wrong half of it is me and half is them. All in all the facility is appealing and comfortable. I just can't get into the swing of the set meal times and I'm spending an extra 200.00 for food a month to supplement my meals. The portion size is not adequate. The menu isn't made for a diabetic or someone with high blood pressure. They serve high sodium foods. And I was told point blank they couldn't accommodate my diet needs. They have an activity director but limit the funds for her to really provide daily activities. They also need two elevators it gets so congested. They also claimed to have someone available 24 hours a day and they lock up and go by 7:30. Just not a good fit for me and would recommend people to first tour many communities before making a decision.

very nice place

Nice tour

When we took the tour of Essex House we thought it was a very nice community. The staff and the tour director was friendly while answering our questions. We just didn't get the warm fuzzy feeling as the place we ended up choosing for my father in law. But had we have not looked elsewhere we would have chosen this community.

I really like the place, but I do believe it's understaffed...

It has been a phenomenal experience!

Essex House is a terrific place! I like my apartment, it is not very large but it is just what I need. The staff is fantastic as well as the other residents. everyone has treated me so well. I really like the fact that there are stores and restaurants within walking distance. It has been a very positive experience!

Essex House won over my skeptical mom

My mom moved to Essex House last Saturday. Manager [Removed] went over and above expectations. When TV cable connection did not work, she attempted to try several cable boxsets with no luck. Finally she came up with an antennae and allowed my mom to get some local stations and she was able to watch the Penn State game which she had been looking forward to.
The Essex House is very clean and the folks are very friendly. Even though my mom was reluctant to leave her home of 57 years, she seems to be settling in just fine and her spirits are up. She loves the food and has even gone to see a Christmas singer (who also did a few Sinatra songs). We could not have hoped for a better result!!!

Our need exceeds independent living - contacts were great in providing great info and answering get questions, but we need a place with more assistance/personal care services included as basic services.

A great place!!!!

The staff at Essex House is wonderful. My parents love living there. Since moving in they have attended a concert as well as they play bingo twice a week. I have not yet had the pleasure of trying the food but I am told by them that it is great. The community is kept very clean inside and out. My parents and I would recommend this community hands down.

Love the place, the people are so friendly

Working out marvelously!

Mom has been at Essex for a couple of months now and things are going much better than expected. She's made some friends and loves playing bingo and going to the exercise classes as well as the happy hour the community has for the residents. Mom loves the food and the staff are just amazing. Yes, I'd recommend!

Everything anyone would want or need. Absolutely beautiful.

Essex House - A True Blessing!

After several repeated falls, and finally a broken hip, the family knew it was time for Mom to move to a place where she would not be alone all the time. But how do you convince an independent woman that she should move away from the retirement home that she and Dad built together so many years ago? - You visit Essex House!
The community is elegant, modern, clean, affordable and SAFE. They have thought of everything. They even referred us to a moving company who "did it all" on the day of the the move.
All of her needs are provided in a safe environment while she has the socialization that is so essential. Mom no longer has to worry about being alone. And she is no longer burdened with maintenance on a house, cutting the grass, snow removal, etc. Mom described her new life at Essex House as "excellent".
Essex House is a blessing for Mom, and for our family.

Very friendly residents managers and all associated with this place. I love my apartment. Was greeted by my first name by all as soon as i arrived. I met everyone on my floor around me in about half an hour. I arrived around 5 pm in the evening and my tv was hooked up by early the next morning. The chef went to the pharmacy for me. I think that is above and beyond his job description. Everyone has been so warm helpful and friendly.

Sharon A.

they were great

They were very patient. My dad went back and forth while checking out numerous places, and they were very patient and kind. I have no complaints at all, they have really been great and I would highly recommend Essex House.

One of our top choice

I liked this community. I felt comfort with the management. The people that run the place were friendly. I didn’t give cleanliness a 5 star just because of a feeling I had. The only thing is that it is 20-30 minute away.

Essex House Lemoyne review

Initial impression was more positive than the latter impression. Of major concern was that the facility had been presented as one where a veteran could submit a claim for aid & attendance VA benefits, but as we researched the VA application we found that the criteria had changed and without the facility being listed as assisted living or personal care, the VA would not consider. This was a huge impact and had been one of the criteria we discussed when looking for placement.
After placement, we had to push for an alternate unit, as there was an overwhelming and noxious smell from the carpet after it had been shampooed. We found that the prior occupant was a heavy smoker, which had not been disclosed. The smell was causing daily headaches and permeated clothing etc. The facility did make available an alternate unit, but we had to do all the associated moving of furniture. Overall... wish we had not chosen Essex.

Essex House - a great fit for Grandmom

What a fantastic group of people who run the Essex House. They were prompt in their responses, caring for our situation, and flexible with our needs.

Independent living only. Re...

Independent living only. Residents very social. Nice facility with well appointed residences. Walking distance to shopping. Lots of activities available.

They really worked with us.

They take very good care of my mother there. Her only complaint is the food because she's very, very, very picky. I would say about 75% of the time she's happy with it. They try to accommodate a lot of tastes which they should. There is always an alternative.

She loves her room and the services that they offer. Everything is clean when I go in. They got her in to a room situation as opposed to an apartment and she doesn't cook so that's a good value for her. They worked with us money-wise to get her into a situation that she could afford so she is happy there.

Nice, more independent living. Reside...

Nice, more independent living. Residents were lovely. Rooms and dining were nice and bright. Residents seemed very happy. Little unsure if there is enough support for mom. The employee did mention a visiting health care person and we did meet her.

Have a first floor one bdrm available...

Have a first floor one bdrm available now. On site staff. Very clean and friendly. Transportation and social life.

09/29/11:spoke w/the director.$2000 f...

09/29/11:spoke w/the director.$2000 for studio - 1 bdrm @ $2675;will put name on waiting if need be;private pay community;don't take assets;health care providers come in but not included in rent;only need 30 day notice to leave;2-5% rental inc/yr

Higher priced than expected. no laun...

Higher priced than expected. no laundry included in apartments. Enjoyed lunch with the Director.

Situated on beautiful grounds in a peaceful suburb of Harrisburg, you’ll love the graceful elegance of our facilities and the warmth of our staff. Residents also appreciate the convenience of being nearby shopping, dining, healthcare and wonderful regional entertainment.

Our all-inclusive month-to-month rent covers:
- Three delicious and nutritious chef-prepared meals from scratch
- A variety of enriching activities
- Weekly housekeeping and linen service
- Transportation
- Most utilities

Friends in 300 places

Built with your comfort and safety in mind