This facility was clean, friendly and welcoming. Staff was pleasant and knowledgeable. There is a plethora of activities of many kinds. The residents with whom we interacted seemed very engaged and generally happy. The facility also has relationships with external organizations such as the private school located across the street. These relationships seem to provide even broader opportunities for facility residents to interact with people outside the four walls.

This was a great community with very friendly staff and nice amenities.

Very good, maybe too big, lack of pool and th eprice includes less amenities than Barlett.

Lovely visit and well managed community.

Newer Community

I really liked this community but I didn't think it would have been a good fit for my dad. It's a newer community so I don't think that would have made him feel comfortable. The rooms that we were shown were smaller in size than other communities that we looked at. The staff was nice and helpful

My thoughts

This did not feel like the right community for our loved one. It did not seem as clean as the community we chose. They no longer have managers that live on site or a formal check in policy.

Holiday Retirement

Hello, my name is Katie, I work for Holiday, and I'd like to thank you for reaching out and sharing this feedback with us. We are so happy to hear you have found a community that feels right for you, and appreciate the honest and candid feedback you provided us. Of course, if anything with your current living arrangement changes, please know you are always more than welcome to come back for a visit anytime, now or down the road. Thank you so much! I hope you have a wonderful rest of your day. --Katie

Not a good fit

My sister-in-law felt that Emerald Pond was going to be a good fit for herself but has since decided that she does not like living here. The staff are very friendly and attentive to her needs, her apt is very nice and the meals are nice. My sister-in-law feels that she just does not fit in with the other residents and that it is very depressing here. My sister-in-law is currently in the hospital and most likely not going to return.

Holiday Retirement

Hello, we are so sorry to hear this, but very glad you reached out to share this with us! My name is Katie, I work for Holiday, and I'd like to thank you for your kind words around our friendly and attentive staff, along with your happiness with the apartment and meals. I think if we can speak with you and learn more, we could make something work. Could you give us a call? We can be reached by phone at [removed], or by email anytime at [removed]. We hope to hear from you again soon, and thank you once more for reaching out in the first place and giving us the opportunity to work together on this!

Attentive Staff!

I have no complaints about how things are going for my mother since she has recently made the move into this community. The staff are very friendly and always attentive to her needs as well as making sure she is comfortable in her new living environment. She has had no complaints about the meals and enjoys participating in activities from time to time.

Emerald Pond-wonderful living!

The staff at Emerald Pond has beed wonderful. Everyone has beed so friendly and inviting. My mother was made to feel welcome from the very first visit. The staff there was very accomidating when we were searching and when we were moving in. Always ready to anwswer our questions and concerns. We feel we made the best choice for our mother at Emerald Pond. We hope she has many happy years there.

Not to happy with the staffing. Didn't feel warm and cozy.

What I found

Food was very good, facility is lovely. People are friendly. My only objections are: Room sizes of the cottage we took- are small. Food delivery to the cottage costs $5.00 per delivery.
Other than that seems what I found is fine.

Very nice community!!

i thought this community had a lot of great amenities throughout the building as well maintained. The staff where very friendly and had a lot of great information to give my loved one and I. They made sure to answer any questions we had for them and even offered us a meal to try. The only issue that I had ran into was they where not very budget friendly and they where out of our price range.

A tour for care

We toured this community for the care for my mom. The staff was able to answer the questions I had on the care that is given. I found the community to be clean and nice. They offer a good variety of good meals on the menu. They have activities that are offered. I would recommend families to tour the community for the care of a loved one.

Avoid the pond!

Poor management- multiple on site management turnovers recently. Really not the pond you want your loved one to live!

Holiday Retirement

Hello, my name is Katie, and I'd like to thank you for reaching out and sharing this honest feedback with us. We love what we do, and consider it an absolute honor to get to serve our seniors - so we are especially very sorry to hear we are not meeting your expectations here at Emerald Pond. I'd love the opportunity to hear from you to learn more, and discuss the concerns you have - we want to make sure we are doing everything we can to better serve our residents. If you can, please give our Resident Relations line a call at [removed], write us at [removed], or alternatively, feel free to of course reach out to the community manager at any time - we are here to support you! We really hope to hear from you so we can work together in addressing the concerns you raise about management in your review -- thank you so much!

A place for mom and dad

I toured this community for my parents. We found the staff to be nice and helpful with the questions. We wanted a room that was a little bigger with more in the kitchen area for them. This community is nice and clean. We did like the variety of meals. Families might want a tour to see if this is what they are looking for the rooms being on the small side. Overall nice value.

Happy people!

This community was a long ways away from us, but we loved the community. The staff was great and they showed us around. The residents were out and looked happy. We just decided not to have mom and dad so far from us.

Older looking property and residents did not seem as welcoming as Durham Regent. Units more expensive and comparable studio to Durham Regent cost more. Emerald Pond base model studio very small. Pretty much same amenities.

During our tour, we felt like we were getting a hard sell. There was to much emphasis on selling the community rather than focusing on our loved one.

Holiday Retirement

Hello Anonymous, thank you for reaching out to us. Your opinion plays an integral part in our customer service, and we always appreciate folks taking the time to reach out to share their feedback with us . We are sorry to hear this was your experience -- it's never our intention for folks to feel that way. Thank you for letting us know, though, we appreciate you reaching out and taking the time to let us know.

So Far A Good Experience

It has been an okay experience for me here so far with this community. It is still early in the process, but so far everything is well. It is an excellent looking community. They do a very good job with the cleaning. The staff is pleasant, they are kind. They have many activities offered for the residents. The meals could use some improvements. Overall this is a good community. So far I'am satisfied.

Very nice place!

Emerald Pond is a very nice place, I would definitely recommend it! It's clean, and everyone seems very friendly.

A Place for Mom was the Place for Me!

I had no idea where to start looking for a retirement place for a Vietnam vet that I look after. A Place for Mom worked with me to find him the perfect place within 36 hours and we signed the contract for him moving in within a week!

Rolls down from Corporate Business

Care Services? DO NOT depend on the managers for anything. Even a fake smile or superficial hello. This is a BIG Business, it has not
one thing to do w/personalized care or concern. Corporate promises but no delivery! They ignore all complaints and prices are not the same, for all. Unless waitress staff has changed, there is one that is incredibility rude and impolite. Guess that why the !manager holds her close, he is the same. Not a warm fellow! The food is not half bad. Stingy. Let's see, there are so fabulous folks in kitchen and dining room. Appears LOTS of folks need or are Assisted Living, which isn't fair for them to live there. I see a lack of compassion, lack of connection. The problems start w/the Corp Business Folks and keeps going until pay dirt is hit. Couple of the Staff cause problems. Hasty unfriendly land lords.

poor

the food is awful and, unequivocally, not nutritious. the activity director often makes mistakes and is unreliable. the gym is adequate and the residents friendly. however, most residents should be in assisted living.

Hi,
I'm Katie, I work at Holiday Retirement Home Office. Thank you for your sincere review. I've sent your feedback on food and activities to our Resident Relations department for their investigation. Please know that you're welcome to call them as well at [removed].

Thanks again,
Katie

It was a nice place and I liked it.

We toured here when we were looking. It was a nice place and I liked it. It just wasn't going to be a good fit for my mom. It also wasn't in an ideal location for us.

Not as pet friendly as marketing would suggest

Emerald Pond has a lot to recommend it. There is a nice pond out front, the food is pretty good.... However, on the tour, the sales rep made a point of pets being welcome. Same for the website. After my mother moved in, her impression was that this "welcome" of pets, at least her moderate sized dog, was less than indicated. The contract states that pets may not be in the commons area, they must be in the resident's unit or transiting to or from outside. There is no good area for walking pets, It would be nice if there were a walking path with one or two "poop" baskets and some bags, such as I have seen at many highway rest areas.

Holiday Retirement

Hi Mark - I'm Katie, I work at Holiday Retirement's Home Office. Thank you so much for your feedback, this is very valuable. We're proud of being pet-friendly, so if any of our communities aren't as accommodating toward pets as our residents and their families would like, we at Home Office definitely want to hear about that. I've passed your concerns on to our Resident Relations office for their review. Please know that you're welcome to contact them as well if you have anything else to add at [removed].

Thanks again,

Very Welcoming!

My mother is thriving there with all the people to talk to and the food is excellent! Management really goes above and beyond to make everyone feel good and feel welcomed!

Helpful staff. Toured facility. Impressed.

Very Pleased

Very pleased. Food is excellent. I have only positive things to say about Emerald Pond. Everyone is friendly, It's very clean, The value is great, The care Services are good, and they have a numerous amount of activities. They have Bingo, Bible Studies, Chapels, Sing Alongs, and Exercise such as walking. I rate everything 5 stars. My mother is very pleased living at Emerald Pond. I'm glad she is happy here.

Some problems I see at E Pond.

I like to be around people. So, I've made myself at home here at E P. I feel it is too expensive for what I'm getting, though. I left a beautiful house a block and a half from the ocean which is in great shape to come and spend nearly $4000 a month on a house that is covered with last year's bug parts. The house has a constant line of ants in the kitchen. I've NEVER had ants in my house before !!! The windows are really smeared and dirty on the outside. The toilets run constantly, even though I've repeated for four months that they need repairing. They are wasting money !!! I do need to be here in Durham, because of my poor health. But there may be a facility in the area that can offer me a better value. I don't need health workers. I am independent. But there are MANY people who reside here who are either in the beginning stages of Alzeimer's or dementia. They are not functional independent seniors. So, if you walked in for a visit, you may think that this institution is catering to those with severe aging mental disorders.
Back to my specific problems. I need some repair work here. I'm tired of being ignored. I want the ants out ! I didn't bring them !!! And I saw them the very first day I was here. I try to be patient and polite, BUT my patience is wearing thin.
By the way, I live in a cottage. The other night I got very sick. I had to clean up the floor by myself after an 'accident.' I'm in a wheel chair most of the time and have severe left shoulder problems. I had NO ONE to help me with this job. What should I have done? Well, it took me a long time, but I finally got most of it cleaned up. It could NOT wait until the next day. The managers need to advise residents about what they should do when similar situations arise.
Thanks for reading my review.

Hi,
I'm Katie from Holiday Retirement's Home Office. First, thank you for your sincere review. I'm very sorry to hear that you're having a negative experience at Emerald Pond. I'm particularly interested in helping resolve your maintenance issue. I've sent your review to our Resident Relations department and asked them to escalate it to the Area Maintenance Director in your area.

My sincere apologies for the inconvenience - If you experience any more issues at Emerald Pond, please feel free to contact us here at Home Office directly at [removed].

Thanks,

Looked nice, overall

We visited this community while looking into care options for a loved one. Emerald Pond seemed like a nice place overall, the facility was clean and well kept and the staff members we met were friendly. There were not a lot of residents out and about so it was hard to get a good sense of the social atmosphere or activities. It was also a little on the pricey side.

Mom has been a resident at Emerld Pond for 2 weeks now. And she is extremely happy with her studio apartment, the management , food. She says she wished she had moved there years ago. Everyone is so kind and friendly.

We liked it, it has a pleasant atmosphere.

We have only looked at a couple of places so far. This is one of them. We liked it, it has a pleasant atmosphere. It also felt very safe. It's a nice place.

Great staff, Friendly, Caring!

After talking with \\A Place for Mom, Gina from Emerald Pond contacted me right away! It was late at night and we had ONE day to find a place for Wade. Due to us having to leave for a pre-scheduled vacation, Gina was so helpful in allowing Wade to us e the \\Guest Suite\\ until his studio apt. would be ready. She was AMAZING at coordinating everything for Wade according to OUR schedule. When I visited the place to move him in on Friday, I finally met our \\angel\\ Gina, and the activities director, Bonnie. What a great group of staff you have at Emerald Pond! Everyone treats the seniors as an individual (I know it makes Wade very happy). We could not have picked a better place for my father-in-law - he is so happy and everyone there is so wonderful. It obviously takes a special person to work with this population. Emerald Pond could not have hired any better! Thank you so much!

Attentive and Caring Staff!

After hanging up the phone with \\A Place for Mom (Jody was soooo helpful!), Gina from Emerald Pond contacted me right away! I was so happy since it was late at night and we had ONE day to find a place for Wade. Due to our schedule of having to leave for a pre-scheduled vacation, Gina was so very helpful in allowing Wade to use the \\Guest Suite\\ until his studio apt. would be ready. She was AMAZING at coordinating everything for Wade according to OUR schedule. When I visited the place to move him in on Friday, I finally met our \\angel\\ Gina, and the activities director, Bonnie. What a great group of staff you have at Emerald Pond! Everyone treats the seniors as an individual (I know it makes Wade very happy). We could not have picked a better place for my father-in-law - he is so happy and everyone there is so wonderful. It obviously takes a special person to work with this population. Emerald Pond could not have hired any better! Thank you so much!

Very friendly staff, and excellent care!

We're very pleased with how things have gone at Emerald Pond! It's a nice looking, well kept, clean facility, and the staff have all been very friendly! And the care they provide is excellent, they've got an in-house CNA group that has really made things easier for us. After being here only a few days Mom's mood has really improved, and she wondered why she hadn't considered a place like this before!

two thumbs up

The turn over rate of the management is somewhat excessive, but otherwise mom is happy with the facility. Food is good, people friendly.

Great community, but we nee...

Great community, but we need a place where my mother wouldn't have to move again should she need more care.

Great place except for current head manager.

My parents live in a cottage. It's a nice facility which is well maintained and has many activities the residents appear to enjoy. The food is average, but I gather that's typical of these types of places, since they can't make the food too spicy or exotic due to dietary needs and tastes of this age bracket. Inclusive features are nice, but the facility is on the pricey end. I would have given 4.5 stars but current head manager is not service-oriented and requires the residents to follow his rigid policies instead of flexing around their needs. Co-manager and previous managers have been great, so hopefully this manager will move on to something else better suited to his personality.

Satisfied

Things are going pretty good here. Retirement communities are so expensive, and sometimes, I'm not sure what exactly we're paying for. It is hard for elderly individuals to come up with that much money. They could improve on the food dishes. They could definitely use more variety. Especially since the residents are paying that much to live there - they should be able to eat what they want. The staff was great though! The location was really important to us, and the first meeting with the staff went great, so overall, we're satisfied!

On a waiting list as they c...

On a waiting list as they consider adjustments to their rents.

Melanie has been the most i...

Melanie has been the most in-touch contact. However, getting info on their rates was like pulling teeth. It seems like a wonderful facility but rates beyond my budget.

Where I wanted mom to go

We kind of got messed up on the room we wanted and it's funny because I would say this was the only place I wanted mom to go because of the layout, it was better. Looking down, when you come down Pickett Rd., it looks like a hotel, the room we wanted was overlooking the pond, but the girl rented it out while we were deciding, but it probably wouldn't have made a lick of difference anyways.

Just fine

Everything's fine, I have nothing to compare it to. It's a nice place and everything is just satisfactory as far as I can tell. The activities are fun, the food is excellent, the staff is very friendly, I think for the ones who are there, the care is fine. This one looked exactly like what she wanted so she moved in.

Very pleasant visit. Had lunch with c...

Very pleasant visit. Had lunch with current residents who were very pleased and a an excellent source of information. Sales staff pleasant, but a little pushy to make a decision. The place speaks for itself, no pushing needed.

Had a good tour and one follow-up fro...

Had a good tour and one follow-up from staff. Aunt is not ready to move yet.

Situated on a peaceful 100-acre nature preserve that features ponds, walking trails and abundant wildlife, Emerald Pond is the home you’re looking for in Durham. Our community was ranked the #1 Foodiest Small Town, the #2 Best Green City and the #3 Best City to Live and Retire in. Our local galleries, museums, auditoriums and theaters are some of the best in the state, and you’ll enjoy our proximity to wonderful shopping and excellent healthcare.

Our all-inclusive month-to-month rent covers:
- Three delicious and nutritious chef-prepared meals from scratch
- A variety of enriching activities
- Weekly housekeeping and linen service
- Transportation
- Most utilities

Friends in 300 places

Built with your comfort and safety in mind