Elmcroft of West Knoxville - Knoxville, TN

The number one thing that stood out to me during my tour was how happy the residents were. That spoke volumes to me!

I recommend Elmcroft of West Knoxville as a "Must Visit" facility. This is yet another facility that has a majority of tenured staff.(this is something very important) The entire management staff has over 10 years of service here and most of the Care Staff has around or over 10 years of service as well. They have 24/7 nursing staff on-site. (this is also very important) They have pendants and pull cords for emergency's and they input all meds and health issues directly after visiting residents on the wall mounted computer kiosks located in every hallway.

Improvements Needed

My Mom is presently living at Elmcroft in West Knoxville. She has lost 40 pounds because the food is so bad. The aids are also the kitchen staff and they don’t know what they are doing. I have eaten there twice and after went to Chick-fil-A.

They have lost a lot of my Mom’s laundry so I do her laundry every week.

After one of her falls when Mom pushed her alert she sat and sat. Then she crawled to her phone and called me and I called the desk. Only then did she get help.

She will continue to live there and hopefully whoever reads this review will make changes. Prove it Elmcroft.

Stay away

When you first arrive, Everyone is nice. Then once you move In, it takes forever to get help. It seems as though they are short staffed constantly. The food is horrible. The kitchen help doesn’t know what they are doing. This has been an ongoing problem for years and doesn’t get corrected. It is horrible!!

Looked very nice. Was clean and well kept. Everyone was friendly. We are just beginning our search, so have little other comparisons at this time.

Strong program!

My loved one's stay is going very well! The staff are sure to take great care of my loved one, and the housekeeping staff are sure to keep the facility well maintained. They have an ample dining room and great meals. The facility also holds many residents and has several activities, which is great for my loved one because she is very social. We find that, overall, Elmcroft has very strong programs, which help my loved one significantly.

Megan Strothman

Thank you for your positive review! We are so glad to hear that your experiences have been pleasant. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and we want to let you know that we love having your loved one here.

A very nice place!

During my search for a good place for my friend, I toured Elmcroft of West Knoxville. A young lady took me around the kitchen area, hallways, in common areas and everything seemed pretty clean. Everyone was friendly and helpful, but it was not what we were looking for.

Megan Strothman

Thank you for your feedback! We are glad you enjoyed your tour and had a positive experience with us. We are sad to hear you went a different direction.

Mom's care and comfort

The care at this community is very nice and caring. They have alot of options on the meals. I like knowing that this community is clean and safe for her. I like knowing the that she is involved with the activities that are offer and is participating with the other residents. I would recommend this community for the care and value for other loved ones .

Megan Strothman

Thank you for the kind review! There is no greater honor than to be trusted with a very special member of your family.

Happy daughter

The Staff at Elmcroft have been exceptional with transitioning my mom into Memory Care.

Compasionate care

My family searched at length for a place that would assist us in keeping Mom & Dad together for as long as possible. The challenge was that Dad was mentally and physically sound for a man of 94 and Mom has Alzheimer's. The management and staff at Elmcroft worked diligently to accommodate their needs and did so with kindness and compassion. Because of their flexibility and attentiveness Mom and Dad were able to remain together in a fun and caring environment until Dad's passing this past January 6th. Mom is now in Heartland Village, the memory care facility, where she continues to enjoy her time in activities with other residents and attention and affection from the staff. The team at Elmcroft was a blessing to our family during a very difficult time of transition and for that we are grateful.

Keep looking- pass this one up

These people appear compassionate when they want to sell you a living space. However, when things didn't work out with my dad, they decided 3 days (!) after the incident to transfer him to a senior mental health unit at their convenience with no regard for his welfare. He had forgotten all about the incidence as nothing had been changed in his routine since, so was totally confused & disoriented when they decided to move him at 8 at night with no explanation.
Also, my dad's meds that we brought to Elmcroft for them to dispense were NOT returned to us when they abruptly discharged my dad- we asked for a letter stating they had thrown away these meds so that we could get some more from insurance but were told no. They could have called us to come & get them when they discharged my dad. Another example of arrogance and incompetency !
The last straw was asking to see medical records- we were refused on 2 occasions.
I have filed complaints with the state board in charge of this facility.
This place showed me why senior living industry as a whole is frequently under the microscope of legislators.
In closing, I must say that the worst meal I ever had was in the dining room of this facility. It gagged me.
Keep looking....

Megan Strothman

Rhonda, we are so sorry to hear this. We take these matters very seriously. We encourage you to call our Ethics Hotline at [removed]. With that said, we do have new management in place and we are more confident than ever that we will continue to enrich the lives of the residents. Again, we do apologize for your negative experience.

I was not impressed

This community felt like a nursing home atmosphere and there was a smell of urine in some places. It did not feel like an inviting place. There was not a lot of nice scenery around the community.

Megan Strothman

We're troubled to hear you feel this way. We take great pride in being a home-like community with a team that is committed to providing the highest level of care and service to our residents and families. We hope you will call our community directly to discuss your concerns in more detail - [removed].

Really liked the facility. We had a meeting with them and toured the facility. We really like Elmcroft. We asked them to be up front with us about taking mother. We did not want to have to move her twice. They did an assessment on mom in two days. They are not about to accommodate mom's physical limitations. My sister and I really liked Elmcroft facility and staff.

At Great Place for Parents late in Life

Always concerned about the people who live at the home with everyday needs. They involve the family and ask our opinions which are great. Keep up with what is going on with each person. Activities are great and exercising the people who living at the home with their minds and bodies. We always feel like they are concerned for our needs as much as our mothers needs.

very comfortable

I was very comfortable having mom at Elmcroft of West Knoxville. I know she received good care at that facility. Everything was as good as I expected it to be. We would definitely use them again.

good overall, some areas for improvement

I do think that they could improve on their food. My husband and I ate there one night and the food was cold, which my mother has commented on before as well. I also do not think that the majority of their soups are very good. I know they have a lot of people to serve, but the food does need improvement.

Another thing is there was one time recently when she called for assistance and it took a good while for someone to come which was concerning as she needs help when she needs to walk somewhere so she doesn't fall.

They are very friendly and very open. I like that the staff calls everybody by name. The facility is beautiful and very clean. So they have a lot that is good, but certainly some area for improvement.

It was a nice place, and they treated us well.

We were not at Elmcroft very long, though while we were there they treated us well. They let us decorate her room so that it would be welcoming and comfortable and homelike for her. We came with the intention of a long stay, but unfortunately, the issues my loved one had were more than they could handle. I think we thought everything was more under control than it was. It was a nice place, and they treated us well. It just didn't work out.

Elmcroft treated us well

Elmcroft treated us well, and we checked in with the idea of a long stay. Our two daughters decorated her room so that it would be so much like at home. It was beautiful. It all changed when they could not handle my wife's behavioral problems, and they sent her to the hospital. I don't believe that they knew the extent of her behavior issues when they assessed her. I didn't even know, I don't believe there was any error on their part.

Flexible and Kind Staff

My brother and I had grown increasingly worried about my mother's forgetfulness and had gotten her to agree to at least look at assisted living options. We visited Elmcroft and she liked it and to my surprise went ahead and put down a deposit. We had planned on moving her in about six weeks later as the room type she wanted was not yet available. Two days later her forgetfulness turned into hallucinations and I was calling both her doctor and Elmcroft to see what we could do. Elmcroft was wonderful about offering to get her into a temporary room as soon as the doctor would complete the paperwork. We got her in the next day and we have been so pleased with the kindness off all the staff and their flexibility. When mom got comfortable in the temporary room, there was no problem in changing our request and letting her stay in that room. Mom has been there about six weeks and has nothing but positive things to say about the staff. With the atmosphere there and some medication, she has made a huge turnaround and is happy.

Everything is good, except the food.

Everything is good, except the food. There are a lot of complaints about food right now. My mother says the food definitely has gone downhill in the month she has been there, and a lot of the residents are complaining. The vegetables are not soft enough, the meat is dry, and that can make it hard to chew. For everything else I have been extremely pleased, I have been extremely pleased from day one. It's very clean, and the staff is friendly. They are pretty attentive and responsive. The entertainment is fabulous. I got a letter that they got a new cook, and that is when things went down, but now I've heard that the new cook is gone, maybe now it will get better. At first the portions were huge, and that was the only problem. Now they will come and sit down to eat, and it will take forty five minutes before the food comes. We chose them because, my mom liked the spiritual environment they had there.

Elmcroft West

Most of the staff has good longevity and generally speak to the residents by name. There are a number of men and a weekly veterans meeting. Many of the residents have been there a number of years and most are friendly and genuinely concerned about each other. Right now the weakest link may be food service. They are aware of this and I am told are attempting to correct it.

Wishing Mother had moved to Elmcroft sooner

Our Mother, Dot Hyke lived at Elmcroft for a few months in 2013. In the beginning she wasn't happy that she needed to live in an assisted living situation, she had always been very independent and active. After a short while she grew to love every member of the staff and loved the facility. I know that she would have been much better off if she had moved there years ago. She even admitted that to me.
It was funny that our Mother who had almost become reclusive at home, made the statement that with all of the activities she was never in her beautiful room.
I can't possibly put into words the affection our family has for the entire staff at Elmcroft. Everyone always treated Mother with respect, kindness and love. She told me many times that she loved everyone there.
She had become content with her life there and I know that if the Lord had not needed her she would still be there. The last time I was in Knoxville a few weeks before she died, my daughter and I both thought she acted like she had years before and seemed happy.
Thank you Elmcroft for improving the quality of Mother's life during her last months. We will always be very grateful.

The only choice for Respite Care...

I have used Elmcroft on several occasions for respite care for my father. Each time the staff have been extremely friendly, professional and attentive. They called me on more than one occasion where they were concerned about some specific situation. They followup after those calls and after we have left. It is a wonderful place for seniors, especially those with dementia. Having tried another local ALF, I wouldn't take Dad anywhere else.

Very nice looking community!

We toured this community when we were looking into care options for my loved one. I really liked the look of this community. It was a beautiful facility, and the staff all seemed very friendly and professional. I really liked some of the programs they described for their memory care residents. However, this place was over the budget that we were looking for, and it was a bit too far for us to consider it as an option, but it is definitely worth a look!

Most of the staff, especially those w...

Most of the staff, especially those who deal directly with the residents, are friendly and appear to enjoy their jobs and the residents. I like the physical environment as well as the variety and number of common or community rooms. The food is good. I think it takes too long to serve residents at meals and would like to see more staff involved in that process so residents did not sit so long waiting A separate kitchen staff would be ideal for this process, rather than using the universal staffing method employed.

For the most part, I think the services, the activities, and the staff are great! It is overall a pleasant and caring environment.

Good first impression, but didn't come through for us in a pinch

We were very pleased with this place early in my loved one's stay, it was a nice facility and the care was good. However, there was an incident that left a very sour taste in our mouths. My loved one had to be sent to the hospital for a short stay, and when he was due to be discharged and return to Elmcroft they informed us that he could not return, which left us with only 2 days to find somewhere else for him to live. The general attitude I got from them when I called to speak with them about it was "It's not our problem".

Spoke with Rebecca, who was...

Spoke with Rebecca, who was very nice. Much prefer an all inclusive rate instead of a point system. It took a full day to hear back from her on the rate, and by that time we had decided on Wellspring.

Best staff

Best staff ever! Elmcroft is wonderful. They truly care about their residents and their families.

Just Fantastic! Great People and Great Activities!

We thought Elmcroft was just fantastic! My sister and I told mother that if she didn't want to move there, we will. She didn't get to stay there very long but they were wonderful to her. They don't have a covered area outside. It's a sunny place and there's not any outdoor covered place to sit and enjoy the weather. That's my only negative. The staff was incredible! It was just perfect. She did not want to go but within a week or so of being there she felt at home. That was a big deal because she was really upset and didn't want to leave her home. It's a wonderful facility - nice and clean. It's a beautiful place with so many activities. They really try to get everybody involved so that you're not lonely.

Best place for mom and me. Close to h...

Best place for mom and me. Close to home. Makes it easy to visit often.

Welcome to Elmcroft of West Knoxville, located in Knoxville, Tennessee, offering exceptional assisted living and Alzheimer’s and dementia care options for seniors.

Elmcroft of West Knoxville is an intimate, senior living community designed to provide optimal comfort, care and privacy. Some features include:

• Private and shared assisted living and memory care apartments
• Charming, home-like community settings
• Common areas for socializing, dining and entertaining
• Easy access for those with limited mobility
• Best Friends® memory care program
• Signature Programming: Vitality Club, Walking Tall, and Second Wind Dreams®

Our carefully selected and trained staff are equipped to assist residents with activities of daily living such as dressing, bathing, and management of medications. While we offer a helping hand with day-to-day tasks, residents are treated as the accomplished individuals they are. Each assisted living and memory care resident has the freedom of choosing their own agenda and activities, while feeling secure in knowing that we’re always there to provide support should they need it.