Deane Hill Place - Knoxville, TN

Deane Hill Place - Knoxville, TN has yet not published prices.

Happy

People are very caring & helpful. We like the small buildings which makes getting to know everyone helpful. Mom's care had been great and they treat her like family.

Uncaring, insensitive, hidden agenda

I have never been treated more poorly when speaking to the lady that gave me the tour. She was curt, insensitive and clearly had a hidden agenda when trying to tell me what my mother's needs were. I felt pushed, rushed and generally got the impression she could care less about my mother's wellbeing, only in filling up "her beds". I chose NHC for my mother and it was all because I could tell that their people truly care about their patients and you can genuinely feel the love. With the [name removed]lady, I felt unwanted and NEVER would I want my mother to feel this way. I would never choose Deane hill.

I would not recommend Dean Hill Place. The rooms are in many different small buildings spread out in a campus fashion. The meals are prepared in 1 building and then have to be taken to all the other campus buildings. There are not enough med techs/nurses to get all the medications passed out to all residents in a timely manner.

Shea clearly understands the geriatric set of behavior and she responds appropriately to their needs. I am grateful for the caring and professional way she has interfaced with mom. The distance between Tennessee and California is ten fold when your mom requires assistance. I appreciate the care and compassion [name removed] with Deane Hill Place has taken to support mom and lends me and my siblings to have peace of mind. Grateful!

School cafeteria Food, Childish recreational activities, Short Staffed

My parent resides at Dean Hill. The rooms are designed very well, windows in every room with bright sunlight and an emergency call button in every room. The cottages create an atmosphere like home, it is comfortable and clean. The staff is very friendly and caring, although the administration seem more concerned about proffit. The Problems don't seem to improve despite numerous requests and discussions with administrative personnel.
Meals: Residents including my parent have made numerous complaints about the food. They use commodity foods that are not the least bit appetizing, unappealing to the eye, bland and tasteless. My parent orders delivery food frequently and prefers a frozen TV dinner to their food. Very disappointing.
Activities: Geared toward Children NOT ADULTS, My parent and other residents are insulted by the lack of effort to provide a variety of activities that would be of interest to them. Little to no effort to improve their activity options.
Car Sales Mentality: Very disappointed in the tactic they used to collect a $3,000 "Community fee" from us as we are admitting our parent for the first time into an assisted living facility. As we are all crying as we signed the paperwork on the day of admission they spring on us this fee, never discussed before. Being in the vulnerable state we were in, we felt we had no choice but to pay it. Poor Taste Dean Hill.
Level of Care/24-Hour Nurse: Staff often short handed, because they can't seem to retain qualified personnel. (The LPN's & CNA's have to set the tables, serve the residents meals, and clean the kitchen area, which prevents them from responding very quickly to residents needs during and near mealtimes) The majority of the staffing problems are during night shift, the LPN on shift can be responsible for 3-5 Cottages (especially on weekends), not one nurse per cottage. The CNA's on weekend nights are often spread between several cottages too, so residents are left in a cottage without any care providers. One particular weekend this happened and the residents emergency call buttons didn't work either, the staff informed administration on a Friday, they did not correct the problem until Monday. Hope this helps loved ones as they make this decision.

Helpful Staff, Immaculate Community

Overall, I feel our experience at Deane Hill Place has been good, but there are some things I feel need improvement. Their line of sight as far as the needs of the residents needs does not quite fit. Everyone has different needs, and they sort of use a one-size-fits-all idea. They also have a community fee, which is quite excessive. We were not told about this fee in the beginning. Their website, while beautiful, gives the idea that what you see is what you get. However, it does not say that the rooms come unfurnished. We had to supply our own. Overall though, the community is immaculate with no smell, the residents are well groomed, the food is very good, and the staff is helpful, despite the large turnover rate.

Staff is very proactive in my care

When I first started looking at communities for myself, I needed something that was close to my wife and in our price range. This facility is absolutely outstanding. The nursing staff has all been kind and friendly. When I first moved in, everyone was so welcoming and contentious. When I’m walking around outside and they pass by, they come up to me and ask me how I’m doing. They actually seek me out to see if they can help with anything. All of the staff members are proactive in my care. This community meets and exceeds my expectations. Everything was clean, neat, and it was just a great fit. I highly recommend this facility to anyone.

We are super pleased

This has been a great community for mom so far. The staff are accommodating and attentive. Mom had to go to skilled nursing and the caregivers have been visiting her. They are keeping up with her progress so they can meet her needs when she returns to this community. The community is on an old golf course and it is beautiful. The community is made up of cottages and it is a low key place. The food is so so. I would highly recommend this community.

Memory Care at Deane Hill

My mother has been at Deane Hill for three years. It has undergone ownership with associated changes but the care has always been there. I am grateful to the care and patience of the staff as my mother has progressed with Alzheimer's. We love the garden and screened porches. I had visited a number of memory care facilities and access to outdoors was always a locked door. At Deane Hill it feels more like a residence with access to outdoors and a warm living room where residents can watch tv together and participate in activities.

Good Assisted Living Portion

Unfortunately my father shortly after moving into this community, but my mother is still here in this facility. My mother is currently living in the assisted living portion of the community. She is safe, and they are taking good care of her. I will the memory care portion of the community could use some improvement. The community is really nice overall, but I would only recommend the assisted living portion.

Dean Hill Is The Place!

Dean Hill Place is professionally managed with tons of loving care for each resident. When looking for a place, I visited many locations in Knoxville, Maryville, and the surrounding areas. None were as good as Dean Hill. I highly recommend it.

A happy review

My father has been in this facility for over 2 years. When he entered it was owned by Brookdale and ownership changed hands in the late summer/early fall of 2016. We were a little apprehensive when the sale occurred because the new owners did not appear to have many memory care units in their system. We were told things would get much better and they have. My wife visits 3-4 times per week and I do twice per week. We have watched first hand as service and care have improved and remain so. To us, there are two big positives. We love the courtyard and my dad's ability to get out in the courtyard. Even more important to us is the staff, especially the nurses and the aids. They truly have a heart for their residents and care for them. to say that we are very pleased would be putting it mildly.
[Removed]

Dean Hill PLace

The staff & management are super friendly & knowledgeable. They are also well trained with memory care for dementia & alzhiemers families. Recently hired new chef so food is pretty good. Rooms are clean. No smells or odors. Nurses are friendly & experienced. They had discounted fees for June which our family appreciates as other options were MUCH more expensive. Renovations to flooring, lighting & grounds are currently ongoing. A little noise at times but end result will be much newer looking cottages. Assistants, nurses & directors all seem to really care about my Mom. They are in communication with me when I need to know anything about her there. More than anything else they care & have an obvious love of families going through this process which all of us face sooner or later. The entertainment & activity schedule is great. Live music weekly or other things to help keep life interesting. We are impressed with the place & the people. Mom seems to be transitioning well into this caring environment that is 10 minutes from our house.

Compassion – from move in day to her final resting place

It’s never an easy decision to move a loved one, especially one so fiercely independent, into an assisted living facility. My Mom moved in to Deane Hill Place late 2014 with an understandable apprehension. It’s a scary time in one’s life transitioning from self-sufficiency to reliance of others, but mom was willing to give it a try.

Initial uneasiness quickly eased, primarily due to the staff at Deane Hill Place. The small relaxed cottages allowed for heartwarming personal attention from caring individuals whom truly care. And although not every aspect of the operation was perfect, they delivered on the most important key principles of elder care; compassion, respect and friendship.

As mom neared her natural passing, her wishes were to rest peacefully in her room at Deane Hill Place, surrounded by loving caretakers, friends and family. The staff assured us her comfort to the end, and they delivered on their promise, providing strength and support to the entire family.

If you have a loved one requiring attentive elder care, please check out Deane Hill Place. Spend some time talking to residents, staff and management. Then decide for yourself. My mom would be glad you did!

I had a good tour!

One of the places that I toured was Deane Hill Place. The tour guide took me around the kitchen area, hallways, in common areas and everything seemed pretty clean. Everyone there was very friendly and helpful, but it was not what we were looking for.

New and Pleased

My mother has been a resident for 6 months and we (including her) are very satisfied. There is truly a caring attitude throughout the property. Every staff person seems to know every resident, not just their name, but them personally.
The facility is extremely clean and comfortable. My mothers room is of adequate size and she has french doors that open to her own 'mini' backyard. There are two other comfortable outdoor sitting areas in her building.
Nursing care is excellent and personable; always smiling and interacting with the residents.
The major difference in this property and others is the separate buildings (3); this is good and it can be not so good. The good: it's quite, peaceful, personal and homey. The not so good: the separate buildings cause food to be prepared at a common area and transported to the buildings. The food is good, but this arrangement creates challenges. The same with social activities; you might have to go to another building to participate in an activity. All in all we really like the 3 separate building arrangement.
Bottom line; we are extremely pleased with our choice of Deane Hill Place. Very comfortable, clean and safe place for my mother.

An ok priced community

This was a nice community when I visited it. The staff I met were nice and helpful, however I did not get the homey feel we were looking for. This community allows pets and can accommodate different dietary needs.

If Resources are Limited, Dean Hill Place is Worth Consideration

My husband resides here. The best features of Deane Hill Place are the really spacious rooms and the pleasant garden. Mediocrity noted in the following: activities and meals. Negative rating: Laundry and Level of Care:
I wish to clarify the above rating.
Level of Care: I believe this would improve if the facility made an effort to retain the better-qualified personnel, reduced the number of floaters/Agency temporary personnel who often distributes medications and does not know the residents' medical history and medicine, and finally, released from duty those employees who have no real calling for this type of services.
Meals: For the first month of my husband's residence here, water was not offered. Residents had a choice of juice, tea, or coffee. I addressed this with the manager of Memory Care. Now water is offered to all residents, at all meals. This is especially important for residents whose immune system is delicate, need regular infusions, and, in general, because good hydration fosters better health. Desserts are always offered, not fresh fruit. Mechanical meals, special thickening for juices, finger food, or regular meals are served according to residents' needs. Hot meals are well balanced.
Activities: There is an effort to present a variety activities, but these are not geared towards the less able residents.
Laundry: This is a problem because items are lost. Some residents have chosen to pay for a private laundry service.
P.S.: There is a non-refundable entrance fee of $1,500.

My Thought Of The Tour

This community was undergoing a transition of owners when we visited. I did not like the way this community was set up. They have many small pods that hold about twenty people. They shared a common area and you spend all day with these people including at meal time. It had a nice atmosphere, however we were looking for a place where she could have her own apartment.

Try Elsewhere First

Not happy at all with facility or staff. They operate as if it is a mental institution - not an assisted living facility. No desire to work with family to ensure residents are well taken care of.

Really liked the smaller feel of individual cottages, and their attention to the individual person.

I'am Very Pleased With My Mother's Move Here

I'am very pleased with everything this community has done for us. My mother is doing great, she is very happy here. This is a nice looking community, they a very good job with keeping everything very well maintained. The staff provide the residents with lots of attention. She stays very busy with all the activities offered. The meals are nice, she is very pleased with the food. I know she is safe and being cared for well. I would highly recommend this community.

Appreciate the staff! I have witnessed challenging situations and appreciated how the situations were handled.

Short experience, but seems like a nice place

Our loved one was only here a brief time, but my overall impression of Brookdale Deane Hill was a good one. The facility is clean and well kept, and the staff seem friendly and caring.

Poor Experience

My husband was at Brookdale and he had very little assistance and also little help with his meals. And he also got dehydrated and fell and so he had to go to the hospital, so he is in rehabilitation now.

Overall facility is nice and they take care of it

They need to improve their communications. I have asked for some things and then had to ask a second time. They just need to follow through. The overall facility is nice and they take care of it.

Residents are treated great

I think that everyone is really nice and they seem to treat the residents great. The particular community that my Dad is in is broken up into smaller communities. I like that and I like the fact that his community has their own dining area. As far as improvement, the administration could be more organized. It also is not clear who the go to person is for questions. Great value also.

Working with everyone at Brookdale has been a wonderful experience. There seems to be many bible studies, but little other activities. I wish there was more routine to the day, more activities to choose from. My only complaint is I find it difficult to get returned calls on questions.

Looked like a nice place

We toured this community when we were looking into care options for a loved one. I thought that this was a very nice looking place, overall! The staff all seemed very friendly, and the facility was clean and well kept. I wasn't as impressed with the food here, compared to other communities I had seen in the area.

My mother is completely satisfied with Homewood Residence.

My mother is completely satisfied with Homewood Residence. She is happy so I am happy, she thinks the people there are really good at what they do. We liked the location and that was a big reason we chose it. They do have meal service here, and the food is pretty good, I haven't heard any complaints.

Lovely, secure community

They're doing a great job at Homewood Residence! They've got a really lovely facility, it is secure enough for memory care patients, but doesn't feel confining and has a great outside area. We moved our loved one here after escape attempt problems at another community and the staff have really worked well with him to help him settle in. The staff really is very friendly, patient and caring. Karen, the Director helped me so much and Melanie has been amazing working with our lives one and making the transition smooth.

They are painting, updating, and refreshing the community.

They are renovating, so some of this is really hard to rate. They are painting, updating, and refreshing the community. It didn't even look like it really needed it before they started. They are providing good care in spite of the disruption of the construction. They still have activities even though they sometimes get moved or postponed. It really is a very nice place and I think it is working out pretty good.

Great OT an PT care!

This is a really great place, and they've done an amazing job so far. The whole staff has really been working with my loved one diligently, and the nurses and physical therapy staff have been great. She is much more mobile than when she arrived here. The facility itself is well kept, and nice looking. One aspect I like in particular is that they have a large secure outside courtyard between the two memory care units, it's like a park! Really the only improvement I can think of is possibly having more activities on the weekends, since that is when she seems to run into trouble most often, maybe due to boredom.

Nice place, not as convinient

They were a very nice facility, it is bigger, it had some pretty good features, it just would have been very inconvinient if she had been out in west Knoxville.
I didn't think that it was as bright, it seemed a little bit more dependent on artificial light. They had a tall privacy fence surrounding both building, the only way you could get in and out were keypad entrances on the front door, the doors in the courtyards weren't keypad activiated so the residents could go in and out. There was a sidewalk connected the two buildings with grass and trees and little critters running around. The assisted living people looked like they were more active than the memory care could be.

Next to the top in luxury and care

I don't have as much interaction with the staff as the other caretaker does but of the ones I've worked with, they seem fine. We initially put him into a lockdown because we were afirad that once we got him in there he would run and because he's a former college professor, his cognitive faculties are really good, his memory just isn't as good as it used to be. Homewood made the decision that he would do better in assisted living rather than a lock down and it's been really good for him. In the lockdown, I went on a weekend and found that they had a minimal staff on and they were not friendly. In the regular facility, I do not have a problem with them, they did fail to check on him once when he was ill and that was because of a communication issue. I think the care has been more than adequate and where there's slip ups is because of communication. His other caretaker has spoken with them and they are going to try to work on their chain of communication.
Before, he was living at home and alone, we discovered he was basically eating just donuts, he had lost a lot of weight and had sores all over his body. Since we got him into assisted living, his skin has cleared up completely, he's gained about 10 pounds, all of which indicates good care.

We were very impressed with the entir...

We were very impressed with the entire facility. The Sales Manager and Arbors Program Coordinator were very attentive and appeared to be truly concerned with our concerns, as well as our mother's well-being. This was the only facility that we had toured that offered so many different daily activities and allowed our mother to be able to walk freely in and out of the courtyard and other building. This is very important that our mother! Very clean and friendly atmosphere! We also appreciated that none of the staff pushed to medicate our mother! Most of the other facilities pushed this.

Separate Buildings

It had a bunch of different buildings. Mother would have to go next door to another building to get her physical therapy and we thought she wouldn't like having to leave the building for that. All the food was in another building too. It was a perfectly nice place but we know she would much prefer everything under one roof.

Would recommend Homewood Residence

Our decision was primarily economical, Homewood Residence offered the best price and affordability for our budget.