Elmcroft of La Mesa - La Mesa, CA

Beautiful facility. But you have to bring you own furniture. Highly in convenient during this stressful time. Very nice place though. I spoke with [name removed] (I (I think) on the phone and she is quite lovely and very helpful. The weekend staff was very nice as well.

Elmcroft of La Mesa

Elmcroft of La Mesa was extremely helpful and kind to us when we suddenly had to place my mother. I was able to just observe my mother while she settled in and saw how great they were to the residents and good at gentle redirection. [name removed] was and is a big help and is always willing to thoughtfully listen to our concerns and help ease our fears. My mom is always laughing now and conversing with the thoughtful staff members and they are very loving and kind. I would recommend this home to you for your loved one. The only thing I wish was different would be a bigger outdoor walking area but this has nothing to do with staff but the designer/builder

Very nice place, I liked it very much.

Megan Strothman

Thank you for the compliment! We are glad you enjoyed your visit.

Titanic of Care Facilities

A sinking ship. Removed my Mom after 2 months. Many hidden charges and un trained staff. New faces every week.

Megan Strothman

We are sorry to hear that this has been a negative experience for you. Our mission is dedicated to enriching the lives of the individuals who live and work with us. We take this mission very seriously and we are saddened to hear your comments. What you described in your review is certainly not indicative of how Elmcroft does business or treats their residents. We are known for our compassionate, friendly, and experienced staff who goes above and beyond for our residents. We are truly sorry you felt differently and therefore would like to apologize. With that said, we do have new management in place and we are more confident than ever that we will continue to enrich the lives of others. Again, I am sorry to hear this has been a difficult experience for you.

We toured this community for my father's care. The community was clean and the other residents were involved with activities for the residents would want to participate. My father did not seem to like this community and he wanted something a little closed to my home. We would recommend that families tour this community for the care of a loved one.

Megan Strothman

Thank you for your feedback! We are glad you enjoyed your tour and had a positive experience with us. We are sad to hear you went a different direction.

small facility; executive director very informative; two small courtyards; completely memory care only; nestled in a neighborhood; average age of residents is mid 80's; one area for dining and activities; dad isn't ready for this place quite yet.

Too quiet!

When I toured the Elmcroft of LA Mesa, I did not get a good gut feeling about the place. It was very quiet. The building itself was very nice and all of the staff were very friendly, but it was not what we were looking for.

Great programs for memory care !!

My loved one was at this community for a short period of time and they have a wonderful staff working there. The activity director was great--lots of fun activities tailored to dementia sufferers, including mini-concerts by professional musicians and dancers. The overall director was also lovely, making all sorts of accommodations for my mother, who is a severe fall risk unaware of her limitations. The director was extremely responsive and caring, always doing her best to make sure my mother was safe and provide the best care possible for her. Unfortunately, as hard as everyone tried, it was just not the right fit for my mom, who needs to be watch constantly. She ended up falling multiple times (luckily without lasting damage). In the end, we decided the community was just too big for her, and we moved her to a much smaller facility with closer supervision.

We liked it a lot. We will go with Elmcroft, if we have to place Him. He is being
evaluated for hospice this afternoon and we will know more on Saturday afternoon.

Friendly Guide!!

I received a proper tour of Elmcroft Of La Mesa. The tour guide was knowledgeable and informative. There was an article read about the community that wasn't very good. I felt that by what i saw the staff were nice and the community was clean. The guide provided me with a lot of information on their services and activities. I felt everything went well during my tour.

Elmcroft is the best place for activities!!!

This was a good community overall. The main issue I had with this community is that the staff did not take care of my husband's personal needs as well as they should have. I do not think they were trained well and some of them seemed lazy. They have something to do every hour of the day. They were great socialization. They had good looking meals and they kept the community clean.

They Are Wonderful

This community do their best at keeping this community clean. The staff are welcoming and very nice, although they could use a little more staff. Since my dad is a picky eater they staff were 100% accommodating to his wants and needs. Activities were available but my dad did not join but he did make new friends. I would definitely recommend this community because they are wonderful, great, and fabulous!

Looks can be deceiving

Not long after I placed my husband I noticed that his diaper was not being changed as needed. On one occasion his diaper was so full it fell off and was under his pants above his knee. A huge concern is the lack of hydration. Three cups of flavored water a day is not enough. Once my husband had a UTI and twice he passed out and was taken to the hospital where doctors believed he was dehydrated. I had to be at Elmcroft on hot days because my husband would go outside in the sun and staff did not regularly monitor residents in the patios. His mattress had to be replaced as staff "washed" it. Staff had planned to have my husband sleep on a cold soaking wet mattress. Thank God I visited him that day as he is not able to communicate his needs. All of the above care and safety issues were communicated to the Executive Directors at the time. There is a large turnover of staff at Elmcroft including 4 Executive Directors in less than 2 years. I suggest you contact the Dept. of Social Services State Licensing and review the complaints and disciplinary actions taken against Elmcroft.

Elmcroft of La Mesa is a great place!

My Father has fit right in with this community and has even found a girl friend. The community is very clean and while I have not tried the food myself my father likes it even though sometimes it is not hot enough. He participates in a men's group and also enjoys it when they participate in music. The nursing staff is very good and they keep me updated on my dad's care. I think this was definitely the right fit for my father.

Poor quality.

There are many deficiencies.

Telephone lies

I called to check on my Mother and I was given a general answer of, "She is adjusting well and talking with others." After talking to the nurse at the same facility I found out that she has been in her room with a medical problem the entire time she was there. She may not even be aware that this is her new home. I feel like I cannot trust what is said on the phone. They say what they think you want to hear not the truth. I am going to have to go over once a week, at different times, to check on my Mother. I am very upset about this.

Great for the time we used it for

It is fine. My father passed away last month. It was great for the time we used it for. The staff was very kind and caring.

Very nice. Lots of activity and friendly staff.
Well maintained and organized. I would certainly considering this location.

Clean and Comfortable

They seem to be taking very good care of my mother. She had a couple of falls, but that's to be expected. But generally I think it has been a good experience for her. She has been kept clean and comfortable and that is what's important.

Update to previous critique..........it just continues

[removed]
Activities are pathetic with some that are not age=-appropriate---Easter Egg hunt!!!! Really????
Staffing supervision is spotty at best. I've been there when no staff have been in the community room (which has sometimes close to 50 residents).

I felt so at ease while David stayed for 6 weeks it was while I had surgery and recover. He was so clean and good spirits made me so happy.
Thanks to all the staff for all they do for a family.

I can tell you right now I would give it five out of five stars.

I can tell you right now I would give it five out of five stars. We have been very happy with them. They are doing a great job.

had few things stolen

We had to take my wife out of Elmcroft of La Mesa because she fell and fractured her hip. When we took her out, there were several things we noticed that were missing that just disappeared. Some of her clothes, a couple pieces of furniture.

The staff was generally ok (seemed very friendly) but I am just somewhat suspicious as if it was one of them that stole some of our things. We raised this complaint to the administrators but were not able to get anywhere with it.

Issues with lack of safety

I totally concur with the concerns expressed by the complaints submitted by the person in August 2014. My mother ended up in Elmcroft due to a fall and broken hip and inability to be independent in her home anymore.
She uses a wheelchair or walker but thinks she can walk unassisted. Elmcroft was supposed to be using alarm on her chair so they would know when she tries to get up. The last 3 times I’ve visited they have not had the alarm attached. I’m sure she will continue to try to get up and walk and this is a disaster just waiting to happen. She has sustained wounds on both lower arms---left side scraped skin off from elbow to wrist when she got combative with caregivers and fell. The right arm was severely bruised another time---from elbow to wrist. Her lower legs often have deep bruising on them. I received no information regarding these injuries.
When I have brought my concerns up to staff they have said they are glad to see her walking---yes if she’s using the supports needed---but apparently this is not a priority with them—As they do not use the alarm regularly.
Several times when I’ve visited there have been no staff in sight. One time, when no staff were in sight, a resident fell and another tried to help her up---staff showed up just in the nick of time. From what I see the ratio of staff to residents is 1:10 or maye 1:8. With residents who have mobility and falling issues this is not appropriate. I cannot believe Elmcroft would continue to serve these residents knowing the hazards and potential for liability issues.
To all others rating facilities on this website---be aware you should be filing complaints with Community Care Licensing. You can find their information on the Internet.

I totally concur with the concerns ex...

The reason we chose Elmcroft of La Me...

The reason we chose Elmcroft of La Mesa is because when we visited there, all of the resident's were out in the central area enjoying activities, and enjoying each other. We did not see that at any other place we visited. The staff is always on the floor, and very engaged with the residents. It's very pleasant.

Think twice before you place your loved on at Elmcroft of La Mesa, Ca

My mother was at Elmcroft for a brief period of time. From mid May to June 17 where she passed. She broke her right hip late January 2014 and had extensive surgery and a subsequent 90 days of rehab at another facility. Elmcroft is represented as a memory/dementia care locked facility. Mom had moderate dementia and when she arrived at Elmcroft she required a significant level of care which included a two person assist for transfers and assistance bathing, dressing etc. She used her wheel chair daily. We specifically notified Elmcroft that Mom was a fall risk. My greatest concern at Elmcroft of La Mesa is patients do not have a way to reach staff assistance when they are either alone in their bedroom and/or bathroom. There are no pull cords, alarms, bracelets/necklaces for the patients. My mother was often napping in her room alone. I would be present with her for one to two hours at a time and no one came in to check on her safety or whereabouts. If she had fallen and cried out for help this would have fallen on deaf ears because there is absolutely no way for anyone to hear her cries through the hall (fire) door. With the hall door closed it would be impossible for staff to hear her cries or worst case scenario she would fall and be unconscious and no one would find her for in excess of 2 hours. I would hate to think of her hurt and not receiving the care she would need. After the fact, (after Mom moved in) we were notified by Elmcroft staff that the door that led from the hall way to the two sets of bedrooms would have to remain closed because of fire regulations.They indicated to me that the staff would check on the residents in their rooms every two hours. This was not so as I personally witnessed two hour time frames of visits and no one would come to check on my mother. I personally bought a bed alarm and a wheelchair alarm to assist in her care. I also asked the director if we could use a baby monitor in Mom’s room and the receiver at the nurse station. He did not appear to be keen on that idea and said there isn’t always someone in the nurses office to respond. I brought the idea of some kind of call buttons to the director indicating it would serve to make the residents safer. He did not appear very interested. He was temporarily assigned there from Grossmont Gardens, their sister facility. Matter of fact he even had the nerve to suggest that maybe Elmcroft was not a suitable place for my mother. Although, his Staff (RN) made an in depth evaluation stating she was in fact suitable for their facility. I feel Elmcroft was not a safe place for my Mom. And every family should feel that their loved one has a safe environment to live in.

Incidentally, Elmcroft had an outbreak of scabies and all residents had to be treated several days after Mom moved in. I personally was unaware of this prior to her move in. I may have had second thoughts if presented with these facts. In addition, while Mom was at Elmcroft she developed two bedsores from the staff failing to change her position every two hours. She also developed pneumonia. I personally observed staff coming to work sick. These elderly patients are very frail and their immune systems are compromised. It was the visiting doctor/nurse from Guardian Angels Healthcare that would examine Mom and find out about her fever, pneumonia, bed sores, bruises etc. Elmcroft either failed to notify us of medical problems or delayed notification. Elmcroft appears to be very understaffed. There is a lead who is a LVN and several med techs and all the others staff are designated as caregivers. I think the ratio of caregivers to patient is 1 to 8 or more patients. This is unrealistic. Additionally I feel the caregivers are not adequately trained for dementia care or senior care. I could tell you so many incidents that even happened in my presence so only God knows what happened when we were not present. I personally feel the minimum training should be a State of CA CNA license to care for the residents. Of course, the majority of the staff at the facility is comprised of the lower paid and non skilled caregivers. I feel their training falls short of the care that they are responsible to give the residents. I must add the caregivers are spread very thin and it is impossible for them to give adequate care.

The director never extended his condolences to me in the loss of my mother. What kind of professionalism is this?

I tell you to think twice before you place your loved one at Elmcroft of La Mesa.

Nice looking place

We toured this options when we were looking into care options for a loved one. This was a very nice looking community! The facility itself was beautiful, and the staff were all very friendly and professional. However, this was a large community, and what we were interested in were the smaller residential style communities.

New resident

We recently moved Mom from an Independent assisted living facility to Elmcroft. Mom is showing early signs of Dementia and maybe Alzheimer and for her safety sake we felt it was time. It is a difficult change for Mom, but the folks at Elmcroft are very sweet and a great help with the transition.
We changed our minds on Mom's room several times before the actual move-in and Elmcroft was very accommodating to our requests. Mom is happy with the room we finally selected.
Elmcroft also has very nice outdoor areas with plenty of seating. Mom & I spent a lovely evening out in one of the patios for her birthday. It was so nice to be able to enjoy the evening, it felt comfortable and relaxing.

Not Happy With My Experience

My wife was there for respite care and I was not happy with them at all. I was going to France for 3 weeks and put her there for respite. I got as far as Atlanta, about to board the plane for France, and got a phone call that my wife has fallen and is the emergency room. I had to cancel my trip. I don't think they gave her very good supervision. She just walked out on to a patio by herself and no body saw her fall or anything. She just wandered back inside with a cut on her forehead so I wasn't very pleased with that. They didn't really watch very well and ruined a whole trip to France.

Great Activities Director!

Everyone has this idea of one on one care but that's not going to happen when it's one-on-twelve. But the care is very good. There are awesome people there, especially their activities director - she's an angel. They have a lot of stimulating things going on throughout the day. They have a calendar of thins. They don't always follow the calendar but they always have something going on (music, arts and crafts, etc.). You're working with dementia here so you don't really get an opportunity to do planned activities with dementia. They do the best they can and they do have a lot of simulating things. They are always in the same room and interacting with each other.

Liked the individual room set up and...

Liked the individual room set up and the pricing so a possibility

Elmcroft of La Mesa is a unique Alzheimer’s care community offering residential living for residents affected by Alzheimer's Disease or other related dementia. Elmcroft of La Mesa offers 50 accommodations in a secure, home-like setting.

Elmcroft of La Mesa is an innovative program that bridges the gap between retirement living and skilled nursing care, by recognizing what people with Alzheimer's really need - activity, security and unconditional caring in a supportive, comfortable environment.

An R.N. Case Manager is available to assess any potential new residents or answer questions regarding desired living services or levels of care.