Dunlop House - Colonial Heights, VA

The Dunlop House was very clean and modern looking. The staff seemed friendly and the residents seemed engaged in the observed activities.
I spoke with one of the residents sitting outside, and she expressed her liking of the facility.
[Name removed] was helpful, even recommending another facility that might better address my mothers wound care needs.
I can only give a 4 star rating based on a visit, not residence.

We are pretty satisfied

The food is excellent and they offer a lot of activities. The staff are encouraging and friendly. The maintenance staff are quick to respond and the community is very clean. They have a doctor and nurse on call. This is a quaint community.

They made dad feel welcome

We have had a positive experience with the staff at this community. They are very attentive, caring and interact well with the residents. They offer some daily activities and field trips out. This is a locked down unit and I like the staff to resident ratio they have. Dad loves the food especially the breakfast. They keep the community clean and I would recommend it.

Unsure!

The staff here was nice and I thought that the community was great. I really can't say much because my loved one was not there very long at all. The community was nice and neat though.

Nice place, overall

We toured this community while looking into care options for a loved one. I thought Dunlop House seemed like a very nice place overall, and it was definitely somewhere we would have considered for our loved one. However, they did not have an all-inclusive pricing structure, which was one of our main interests when searching for a facility.

They were great to my sister

They were great to my sister. They did everything they could. I don't have anything bad to say about them. I would highly recommend the dunlop house to everybody. It is a really nice community. Everyone is very kind and caring. The staff people are very accommodating. They were a big help. They were just great to my sister. I am really pleased with the dunlop house. It was a really good experience.

Very nice place. Met with Holly, who is very nice and personable. She took all the time that we needed, and provided valuable information. My husband and I felt very welcomed by her and the staff. They were all friendly and seemed happy with their jobs. The residents seemed to be happy and in good care. This is the first time we had toured assisted living facilities, and were a little shocked at the monthly cost.

Wonderful place. Staff is v...

Wonderful place. Staff is very patient, takes great care with their residents and supportive of family members. Plenty of activity of various types. Very clean environment and good, healthy meals. My mother has told me on several occasions that she loves it there and the people around her.

The tour felt a little rush...

The tour felt a little rushed. I did see a good portion of the facility and liked the activity rooms especially. This was the final tour of the day so I can honestly say 'the vibe' and our talk was more about money and availability than care for residents.

Have to bring your own linens

They were pretty good, the only thing I didn't like was you had to furnish everything, like the sheets, the towels, that kind of thing and you had to do her laundry. So that was okay, if we had to we would have and they seemed pretty good. The facility seemed clean and all, I don't know how many people were in the unit, I know it's more than where she is now.
This was third on our list because we had to furnish the linens and do the laundry.

So many things for them to do in Our Neighbors

It's wonderful. The Alzheimer's care unit is called "Our Neighbors", she's in the Azalea section, they have two types, Azalea and Magnolia. It's very bright, they're well taken care of, it took her awhile to get used to it but it's so much better than where she was before.
Everyday they read to them, they involve her with trivia, they ask questions and they involve the ladies and try to get them to talk and they all get together in the afternoon. It's the difference between night and day from where she was. They also take them to entertainment, they have music playing for them and they have crafts they're working on, my mother's fingernails are painted and she never did that before; they take them down to the assisted living part and they watch performances and things and they have church services, it's just really nice. I have very little to complain about and now they have a full time doctor who is available. The staff si all very friendly, they laugh and joke and come in and knock on the door to make sure everything's okay.

Too much of a nursing home for mom

This was more of a nursing home atmosphere instead of an assisted living. My mom knows at some point she may need that, she's hoping she never does but she was an LVN at a nursing home for 30 years so she's not opposed to the idea but she doesn't want to do there unless she absolutely has to.

Best facility in the area. I'd give i...

Best facility in the area. I'd give it 5 plus star rating. No better staff, activities, meals and beatiful decor.

Located in Colonial Heights, Dunlop House has been honored as a Top Assisted Living Facility in Virginia by Assisted Living Today. Dunlop House specializes in both assisted living and AlzheimerÆs care for seniors. Since 1999 it has provided its residents with quality care and a rewarding lifestyle in a beautiful, relaxed atmosphere. Residents can choose from a variety of housing that best fit their needs. Suites are available in a studio, one-bedroom, deluxe one-bedroom or two bedroom setting. Residents can add their own personal touch by furnishing their suites with their own furniture and personal belongings. The community area includes a fireplace, library, sunroom and private dining room for meals with friends and family. Dunlop also offers housing that meets the needs of residents battling AlzheimerÆs and Dementia. Called ôOur Neighborhood,ö the residence includes private studio and companion suites, a country-style kitchen, group activities and secure courtyards that provide a familiar setting and a safe, homey environment. Dunlop offers residents four different levels of assistance depending on their needs and desire for independence. There are wide ranging activities and trips, including shopping and shows that help residents maintain an active lifestyle. Licensed nurses are on duty around the clock, seven days a week. Family practice physicians have offices within the facility as well as a gero-psychiatric physician and podiatrist office. Dunlop also features its own rehabilitation center. Dunlop House is a member of Coordinated Services Management, which has served the D.C. Metro area, Virginia and the Carolinas since 1981.