Comforts of Home - St. Croix Falls - Saint Croix Falls, WI

What It Is Like Here

My mom is getting the care and safety she needs at this community. She general likes the meals they make for the residents. There are two buildings and it seems like there are more activities in one building than other.

Not a place id want to be

Unfortunately the staff is not trained they hire people with little to no experience also there is not a nurse on staff daily one may come in one time a month and do a quick vital check ,the food is horrible and staff is very unprofessional my father's room was always dirty b.m on the floors of bathroom and at times his bed was made with dirty soaker pads and staff would just pull blankets up on bed to avoid changing them

Improved care for Advanced Alzheimer's

I am writing up a follow-up to my previous review regarding my mother's care as an Alzheimer's resident at Comforts of Home in St Croix, WI. On my recent visit to see my mom I noticed a considerable improvement in the ability of the staff to care for her advanced Alzheimer's. The staff was so patient with her and mom kept calling them her sweeties as if they were her children. It was so beautiful to see and eased many of my concerns. I later talked to one of her aids to see how things were going and she commented that it was going much better and they were learning ways to help with mode swings. It was so good to hear as I did not want to have to move her to another facility. I really appreciate the staff's effort to find ways to help my mom through this disease. She seems so content with being there.
Thanks!

Not equipped to handle residents with alzheimer disease

My mother is a resident with advanced Alzheimer's. Even though my brother and I were told that their memory care facility was capable of caring for her, we have found that the staff is not trained to deal with her aggressiveness and are not capable of redirecting her without getting into a confrontation. We are continually getting calls to come and settle her down. We have agreed to their recommendations to send her to a specialty mental health unit for evaluation where they made recommended chances to the way she was being cared for that would help with redirection and less confrontation. My mom was also put on medication to help. We are still getting the calls to come everyday from 3:00 to 6:00 as this is the time they can not control her. This is hard to do when you have a job. Also, this is what I thought we were paying them for. They are also unsuccessful at getting her to bath or change clothes so she often smells of urine as was also noted when she arrived at the mental health evaluation facility. They just are not trained to handle someone with Alzheimer's. My Brother and I feel we have made the wrong choice in bringing our mom to this facility. I feel they are good at taking care of residents who are less mobile and more complacent than our mom . The other problem with this facility is the building she residents in was described to us as for memory care only, however, several of the other residents are not memory care residents and the mix of residents seems to be a problem when they are around my mom. I feel bad for them and realize that we need to find a facility where the staff only takes care of patients with similar mental health issues. We are now actively looking to move our mom to another facility that can give her the kind of care she requires. We are disappointed that we have to move her again but this place is just not working for her. Hopefully they make they level of care more clear in the future or they provide better training for the aids to handle Alzheimer patients.

Review of Comforts of Home - St. Croix Falls Alzheimer's / Memory Care in Saint Croix Falls, WI

Awesome place. Beautiful setting both inside and out. Very friendly staff. Near Osceola Clinic & hospital where mom doctor's. Very excited about finding this place.