Colonial Harbor - Yorktown, VA

This property is much more like assisted living.

Very personable

The staff at this facility is definitely very personable with the tenants which are a big plus. They provide activities for the residents and they keep a schedule for them and it seems to be pretty full. They have a social calendar that the tenants can participate as much as they want. I have noticed how comfortable the residents are with the employees, they have an open door policy, and the residents can always go to them for anything. They staff tend to the residents on a personal level and they interact with them quite a bit. From that aspect it has been fine. One issue I will say, and I think they are trying to work on it, is the meals. It is something that not only my relative is unhappy with, but others too. They get plenty of food so that’s not the issue. I was told that they were in a transition with staff so that might be why to how the food is being prepared. Another thing I will say is there is a slow response with maintenance issues depending on what they are. If there is situation where there is an emergency and they have to get it done, they will be on top of it. However if it’s something like a running toilet, it takes them awhile to respond. They have monthly meetings and the residents have similar issues like that and they brought it to the staff’s attention. They responded saying they’re trying to get additional maintenance staff. Other than these issues, my love one is doing well. They are very accommodating with me and I can call at any time whether it is to check up on her or whatever it is, they have been very supportive. It really gives me a peace of mind.

Excited to Move to This Community

My mother hasn't made the move into this community yet, but she is looking forward to living at this facility. She is safe, and they will be providing her with nice meals a day. The staff is wonderful, they have really bent over back wards to accommodate us. The community looks great, they do a very good job with the cleanliness of the community, and she also gets house keeping once a week for herself. This is a very nice facility, and I would even move here myself.

Been on their tour. Our insurance didn't qualify them as assisted living. We never scheduled a move in 9/15

Fantastic Services

Folks
If you are looking for place for your love ones to live.Please check the Colonial Harbor Retirement Community Yorktown VA. The staff is out of this world & they all CARE about your Love Ones needs. They have FANTASTIC MEALS. Folks I could go on & on about the Colonial Harbor Retirement Community Yorktown VA. But you need to check it out for yourself. Ask for Nancy she will be HAPPY to show you around & to work with you and your family. 10+in all fields.

Mom Really Enjoys It Here

So far everything is going very well for my mother at this community. She has signed up for 90 more days, she really enjoys it here. She has a very nice room, and the community is very nice and clean. The staff is really good, they are caring for her very well. She is trying many new activities. She likes the food, they do sever well balanced meals. I would say if you don't need a lot of assistance, this would be a good community for you.

Food

The food was very hit and miss , One day it was good one day it was bad.

cant say anything bad

I cant say anything bad about Colonial Harbor. The only thing that could be improved is good security cameras on the doors for the residents. The facility is safe but I would like to see a little more security measures taken. I like this facility. It has been a good experience.

Awful Food-

The food is terrible and they constantly run out of what is on the menu. The times I have eaten there the food has been overcooked or cooked 2 weeks ago and heated up but not served for the past 14 days, the oatmeal is paste, besides running out of food they frequently do not have what is on the menu. The food was fair before but now they have a different cook "Mark" and the food is absolutely awful. Every day my mother and her friends complain to me about the food and I am spending time and money to bring the food and meals that I hoped not to spend due to the hefty rent Colonial Harbor charge for food and lodging. Do not subject your family to the food.
The events are not really inclusive to all or mindless.

Holiday Retirement

Hi, I'm Katie, I work at Holiday Retirement Home Office. First, I'm very glad you brought this to our attention, but am sorry to hear that your mother is having such a negative dining experience at Colonial Harbor. I agree that food is a huge part of anyone's livelihood, and not just a nutritional standpoint. I've passed your review onto our Resident Relations team for investigation. Please know that you're welcome to contact them as well at [removed] if you have anything else to add.

My sincere apologies once more,
Katie

Friendly and Welcoming

The staff at Colonial Harbor are very friendly and very welcoming, it is like a community there. I do not have anything to say on what they could do better. My experience with them has not been for very long.

excellent

They have done a really excellent job assimilating my dad into the community and making sure he is well taken care of. The meals are also very wonderful. They have been really responsive and helpful in every way possible. The staff is amazing. We are definitely getting our money's worth.

Genuinely caring and professional team

The whole team at Colonial Harbor has been excellent! They show genuine caring for their (potential) residents and families. I was amazed that the marketing director knew every resident by name. The team was welcoming and encouraging without being pushy and overbearing which showed their interest in having my father come join them as a resident.

Nancy Britt was great howev...

Nancy Britt was great however at my level of independence, I would still want a kitchen. This property provides 3 meals a day at set times included in the rental fee. The average age is between 75-80. Although I like many things about the property, the set dining times won't work for me at this time.

The best thing that could have happened for mom

The staff is really genuine, I can tell when someone is being fake and no matter when I come in, morning or night they're all genuinely friendly and their marketing director, she is gold at the end of the rainbow. One of the thigns I really like is in the mornings, to kind of see how the residents are doing, the live in managers, even the marketing people, are in there pouring the residents coffee and you really get a taste of what a place is really like when you go down with your mom and see what they experience. My mom has pulled the cord and it was like in the brochure, the live in manager did a report, she was very nice, very calm and empathetic to my mom. She said my mom was getting afraid at night and God has blessed us to lead a girl who was already on site to my mom and we found the perfect person for her. We have things in place now that is working beautiful, they are just exceptional to all the places I saw in Richmond.

Good Price, Great Staff, Great Choice

We chose Colonial Harbor because it was a very good price; the staff was very organized, helpful and friendly. The do offer 3 meals a day, which all have been really good with the exception of the Crab Cakes my loved one didn’t think they were up to par. They offer a big variety of activities, in fact there is more activities that she cares to participate in. It is located on a parcel of land in Yorktown adjacent to a McDonalds but the property is surround with trees so although it is in a very convenient location it still provides a country feel. We are very happy with our choice and would highly recommend Colonial Harbor to anyone.

Located in the heart of Hampton Roads, you’ll enjoy our mild weather and all the fascinating destinations the surrounding region offers. We’re right down the road from Colonial Williamsburg and Jamestown, and just minutes from Virginia Beach.

Our all-inclusive month-to-month rent covers:
- Three delicious and nutritious chef-prepared meals from scratch
- A variety of enriching activities
- Weekly housekeeping and linen service
- Transportation
- Most utilities

Friends in 300 places

Built with your comfort and safety in mind