Carmel Village Retirement - Fountain Valley, CA

CV has a very pleasant environment with sunny, wide hallways. [Name removed] was great to show us the variety of rooms and explain the different packages. The rooms had lots of natural lighting and were clean. They seemed more like rooms in a nice hotel rather than a sanatorium.

No dogs in mild to moderate memory section!😞

Parents are happy

The staff is really nice all they way from the original sales staff to the cooking staff to the dining staff they all were great and nice. It is kept up and tidy. They enjoy lots of daily activities. The food is perfectly fine. They treat my parents with respect and with courtesy. I would recommend this community.

Very nice facility. Rooms were clean and spacious. Tour was great. [Removed] was very professional and answered all of my questions. I liked the one price includes everything options.This has promise

Everything is going great!!

My parents have both recently made the move into this community and so far things are going well for them. They have adjusted well and the staff where very easy to work with in this transition. I am comfortable with the care they are receiving and think this place is very organized. They have had no complaints about the meals and are starting to get involved in a few of the activities they have to offer.

In A Quite Neighborhood

Placing my in laws here was the best choice for both of them. Since moving here my mother in laws health has seemed to improve now. The community is made up of 3 separate buildings with a lovely courtyard in the middle where you can be outside and enjoy the weather. The staff is extremely nice and very accommodating. The location is set back off the main street it is very quiet. My in laws seem to like the food. The family is very pleased with this community and we would recommend the community.

Very large!

When I toured this community, I felt that it was very large and commercialized. The rooms were tiny as well, it was not what we were looking for.

I am considering this place, based on being near our home and quality. A minus is that it had no kitchenette.

jbowyer

Thank you so much for touring Carmel Village and writing a review. For over 15 years we consistently strive to meet our resident and family’s needs. Our one bedroom apartments come standard with a refrigerator, microwave, and sink for residents personal use. Resident meals are served in our dining room for breakfast, lunch and dinner and snacks are available daily in our Bistro. Every day we offer a full Salad Bar for lighter choices. I almost forgot to mention our espresso machine for coffee lovers and several fresh made desserts every day at dinner. Please feel free to come by and taste all that Carmel Village has to offer.
Cash Benton, Executive Director

waiting list for studio.
2k move in fee
Largest of the facilities I looked at with 3 buildings.
assigned dinning which my father did not want.
all inclusive price, memory care more
2% cost of living increase due to them owning the building and land.

Waiting list for studio, 2k move in fee. Large facility with 3 buildings.
Assigned seating for dinning. Memory care adds about 2K. 2% annual increase kept low because they own the building and land.

So pleased to discover Carmel Village

I am so pleased that I found Carmel Village for my mom. I looked at eight assisted living properties before choosing Carmel Village. As soon as I toured the facility and met with the directors I knew I found the right home. I liked the quality and well managed surroundings. The comfortable main rooms and dining room. The caregivers are happy and enjoy what they do. Everyone is so friendly and will contact me with any concerns for mom's well being. I found Carmel Village offers everything I was looking for at the most affordable price.
Thank you to Senior Advisor and my personal customer service representative for help with this most important decision.

Very Pleasant Experience!!

The ladies we had worked with including Christina and Katrina could have not been more helpful to my family and I with helping us get our uncle transitioned into this community. They where beyond helpful and very knowledgeable with answers to every questions I had. The chef at this location has done an excellent job at the menu and prepares excellent meals for all of the residents. Everything has gone beautifully and I am overly thrilled with this establishment.

Tour Was A Good One

My tour of this community was a good one. The staff was very kind and helpful. They answered all my questions, and also was very informative. The community looked nice. Everything was nice and clean. It was a nice experience, and they treated us well.

Perfect fit

Moved my father in law in 2 weeks ago, he likes the accommodations and food. They were very helpful and feel you get your money's worth. Checked 6 different facilities and this one stood out with the staff and his care.

I Really Enjoyed My Tour

My tour of this facility went very well. I really enjoyed this community. Everything looked great, the rooms were very nice and clean. The staff was very kind and answered all my questions. There are nice activities offered. The residents were very welcoming. It was a very pleasant tour.

My Daughters Took The Tour

Based on the observation of my daughters, the tour was itself went okay but did not get a good feel for the community. My daughters notice the staff were more interested in talking among themselves and were not paying attention to the residents. Overall this automatically made us not want to move my wife into this community.

jbowyer

Thank you for visiting Carmel Village. We are sorry you felt our community would not be a good fit for your wife. We sincerely understand the importance of the staff-resident relationship and actively work to further train our team to improve this relationship. We welcome the opportunity to provide a better sense of our community. Please join us for Sunday Brunch, or lunch any day that is convenient for you. Feel free to call us so that we may arrange your visit. Thank you again for taking the time to visit and review our community; we hope to see you again.

Private Rooms

This community is very clean and has private bedroom for residents. My wife enjoys her meal and loves that it comes with ice cream. She gets assistance with cleaning her room and the staff are very helpful and attentive to misplaced items. My wife participates in the daily activities but she hopes gardening will be included. I would recommend this community because they are making my wife happy, and if she's happy I am happy too.

Kind and intelligent nursing care

My mother in law has been treated very well by Carmel Village staff, even as it has been a rocky transition for her. The nursing staff are excellent, intelligent and easy to communicate with. The facility is lovely and the food is good. They are very kind and patient!

Carmel Village is a blessing

I recently moved my Mom into Carmel Village. It was a difficult decision for all of us but we realized she could no longer live by herself. EVERYONE at this retirement community, all executives, staff, and caregivers were compassionate, helpful and enthusiastic when the move-in date came. I was told the adjustment might be difficult for the first weeks but Mom was happy and took to the Village right away. I was amazed but very pleased. Everyone at Carmel Village (even the residents) have made her life whole again. She has a new chapter of life to look forward to. They welcomed her and her little dog, Abbie, too.

Finally home

Two weeks since my family member has been a resident. Carmel Village is clean, spacious, with courteous, knowledgeable staff in abundance! Very happy!

Fantastic community!

From the minute I walked in the door, Carmel Village was fantastic. My Mother says she never felt happier in her life. The ground and the inside of the building are beautiful. From the director on down to the lanscapers, everyone is friendly. The other residents also seem happy and friendly. There are so many activities. The food is like cruise ship food, all of the family has eaten there. They're very accommodating as well.
I would recommend others get in there and if no vacancy to get on the waiting list.

Musty smell

We toured this community and it had a musty smell, but it's closer to the ocean so that could be a factor. The dining area is open from where the tenants live, so I don't know how well that would be when it rains.

Going well

Well for the most part things are going positively. We have had normal issues with adjusting of course. The staff does respond well and in a timely manner when we have an issue, so things are going well at Carmel Village.

Going great

Things are going good. They are going great. I believe that she is doing well there. She has been in and out of the hospital, so she has not been there a lot, but when she is there, things seem to be going well.

Pleasant staff

This facility is so sunny and beautiful when you walk in. It is a very welcoming and inviting atmosphere. The staff is very pleasant. The food is actually not to bad here either. Overall, not a bad place so far.

A Great Reputation

They are just really friendly. They take really good care of the residents and they kind of weed out people who are not caring. They have a great reputation, I have never heard anything bad about them, so I feel good about the Carmel Village. The food is excellent and my mom likes it there.

Lovely, Caring, bright and sunny, lots of activities. Some concerns regarding Mom's behavior - they may not take her. She can't have the dog, but there is a resident dog and pet therapy. Memory Care doesn't have a piano.

For the most part we are happy with them.

For the most part we are happy with them. Communication is difficult sometimes. I can tell one staff member things and it doesn't get passed to the rest of the staff. It's clean, and the food is really good, the portions are just large. It's really friendly. We liked the location, and that when I walked in it felt homey, and everyone looked happy and well taken care of.

It was rough in the beginning

It was rough in the beginning. My Mother-In-Law is at this facility. There was a little mishap with medication. There was a mistake with the dosage and she was not getting her meds. We were not very happy with that. All in all now that we are getting used to the fact that this is where she lives, we are all adjusting. This was a difficult decision, but it is working out now. I have not been able to visit her yet, but my husband has and things are working out now.

jbowyer

Thank you so much for choosing Carmel Village for your Mother-In-Law. Should you ever have any other concerns or need assistance please reach out to me directly. We understand that anytime there is a change all of us may need time to adjust. We appreciate our residents, their families and the trust they place in us.
Cash Benton,
Executive Director

Staff Is Really Good

The staff was really good there, every since the first day. I sat and searched for places and we got recommendations for this place. The chef is really good. The room is always clean and picked up. They aren't doing anything wrong.

Could use a few improvements

My mother is living there now; she's hard-of-hearing, so she just can't participate in some activities like bingo, but I feel they could do more to make it more accessible for people who can't hear as well, like big electronic numbers, for example. It also seems shorthanded, but I believe they've hired more people recently.

jbowyer

Thank you for your comments and your suggestions for Activities in Carmel Village. Making sure our residents are happy and engaged is a pivotal goal for us each and every day. We will present these ideas at our monthly Activities Meeting with our residents this week to see what types of additions we can make to better enhance the Activities experience.
On behalf of all of us here at Carmel Village Thank you for your suggestions.

Close to my parents' house. Nice and quiet, calm energy. Larger community. Evin was very nice and informative. Definite +.

jbowyer

Thank you! We appreciate the positive feedback regarding our community. We hope to see your family again soon.

It's really clean and the staff is very friendly.

It's really clean and the staff is very friendly. The food is just okay, they have a very limited variety. The people serving in the dinging room don't communicate with the kitchen as well as they could. The transportation is limiting. The state requirement for medicine management and the packaging regulations make it so you can only go through certain pharmacies and it's very restrictive. It also puts peoples plan B at risk and then you have to worry about falling into the doughnut hole.

jbowyer

Thank you for your review of Carmel Village and recognizing our friendly staff and clean community. We appreciate feedback regarding areas for improvement as well and encourage residents and their families to bring concerns to either the appropriate staff or our Executive Director, Cash Benton in person, by phone at [removed] or email: [removed]. Thank you for choosing Carmel Village to be your family member's home. Cash Benton

Carmel Village Clean, Quiet, Safe, Friendly!

My friend Ida is a resident and I recently visited her at Carmel Village Retirement. The facility is clean, quiet, and well maintained. The staff is friendly and attentive. The location is safely tucked away in a nice residential area. My friend is happy there and I would recommend Carmel Village to others. Thank you!

Review of Carmel Village Retirement in Fountain Valley

A family friend lives here. The community is located in a nice quiet area that's a few minutes off the 405 freeway. All of the rooms have patios, which is really nice. There is a front desk with a receptionist where you check in when you arrive. My friend was able to bring a surprising amount of personal items and furniture into her assisted living room - I was impressed at how spacious it was and how it felt like her home, just condensed down into a studio apartment of sorts. She had a queen bed, lots of wall art, a TV, a desk, and several chairs. There is also a kitchenette.

She says it is easy to talk to people and make friends if you want to. She has some problems with the food, but she is an excellent cook and also very opinionated, so I suspect she may be the issue rather than the chef :)

The only reason it is not a 5-star is because they need to hire more caregivers. The caregivers are very nice and obviously care, but they are so overworked - they are always rushing around and trying to help everyone but they simply can't do it all! My loved one said she pressed her pendant once when she was stuck in the bathroom and she didn't receive help for 50 minutes. Again, I don't think this is the caregivers' fault - rather, it's a matter of management trying to cut corners when they really need to hire more caregivers so the residents are safer, and both the caregivers and the residents can live more satisfied lives!

Carmel Village went above and beyond ...

Carmel Village went above and beyond in caring for our Mom. We can't express how pleased we were with the quality of care and compassion that is present in this lovely community. We highly recommend Carmel Village to everyone who wants to find a safe and happy home for the ones they love.

Very clean

It’s a very clean place. The staff is excellent. I think they’re understaffed. I would refer anyone there. The food is like a five star restaurant – it’s very good. The parking can be a little limited. We’ve been happy with them.

Village review

Carmel Village was a miracle for mom and dad after their house flooded. They got an apartment and moved in one day with a level 1 care. I had a couple of disappointments when MOM'S medications were messed up (not the right dosages, not given with food as directed etc.). The caregivers except for one want to just check boxes, escort to meals and dump them. I asked several times to escort to activities, but they don't. I asked that dad would be taken to sit in the sun which he loves, but that doesn't happen. I wish they cared more as the title suggests. An epidemic that lasted 10 days where everything was shut down and folks weren't allowed outside their rooms caused my parents to be further depressed. My dad started sleeping all hours of the day, and my mom was lonely and depressed. I still appreciate that they're in a safe place in case of an emergency but for the monthly price that's paid, a higher level of care would be expected. Also, the food can use some enhancements.

Need to ask about associati...

Need to ask about association fee???? Welcome sign with my name Receptionist knew I was coming Christine, Asst Dir, spent a great deal of time answering question. Is even helping with M. Suzanne showed me all available types of units studio-larger 1 bedroom apt Bath/shower step over Will replace tolite for higher one Refrigerator included, can bring microwave Basic cable Would need option e to fit bed. Dinning set times and assigned seats (2 sittings) Lots of activities small gym/reading room. Met evylen loves it there didn't want to come at first 1yr 1/2 Staff knew residents names. 184 Residents 3 buildings. Memory care, assisted, hospice. Catholic services (Fr Al) Transportation to Doc and church In house doc people like him

Satisfied with facility

After having my father is a large retirement community and then in a private board and care, it appears after 20 days that I have made a good decision. The facilty is clean and has enough activites to engage my father in his late Alzheimers phase and keep him active. It is a slow process tieing up all the loose ends and they were quite helpful.

I really love this place!

I really love this place!

Very strong choice. Smoking allowed ...

Very strong choice. Smoking allowed on private patio and will build fence.

Very Nice

Very Nice

Very nice property. Average pricing....

Very nice property. Average pricing. Residents seemed to be kept busy. Nice staff

Carmel Village Retirement is a private senior residence designed to provide a comfortable and active lifestyle. The facility is privately owned and managed. Our commitment is to offer a family atmosphere in attractive and well maintained surroundings. We have a caring, professional staff who work as a team to give the highest level of dedicated service to our residents.

Our affordable monthly rent gives each resident a full range of exceptional services and amenities. Included are 3 delicious meals daily, a spacious studio or a selection of one bedroom suites, weekly housekeeping and linen service, paid utilities, group activities, free transportation and much more. There are no buy-in fees or leases. Assisted Living services are available based on personal needs. Carmel Village Retirement in Fountain Valley is next to Mile Square Park and just minutes from the Pacific Ocean. We are situated close to several medical facilities, major shopping centers, and public transportation.

Discover retirement living at its best. Carmel Village Retirement is a place to call home!