Carlton Senior Living San Jose - San Jose, CA

A Resident’s View: by Hettie Lou Downing
I became a “take charge” person the year I turned 10 and my mother’s delicate health dictated that I become her substitute. I left home at age 16 to attend the university and became self-supporting. The lessons I learned from “take charge” employment were probably the most valuable part of my education. My years as the wife of a widely-diversified farmer, as an innovative teacher and an internationally-traveled leader in the field of adult literacy, offered many more “take charge” experiences. Nowhere was there space for me to consider what might happen when I would no longer be able to take charge.
That day happened suddenly with no advance warning. A TIA (transient ischemic attach) paralyzed my neck and shoulder muscles. Driving would no longer be an option for me. Neither would living alone.
I had driven past Carlton Plaza San Jose twice a day while it was being built, but I certainly wasn’t going to live in ANY old folks home. Unfortunately, with my TIA, my choices were limited so I surrendered my pretty little condo, my almost-new Buick, my piano and allowed myself to be moved into Carlton Plaza, kicking, screaming and dragging my heels. I went through the painful grief period, and then moved into my new life. That was more than nine years ago.
Both pairs of my grandparents, moved in with first one and then another of their adult children. Like them, I could have given up my personal belongings and isolate myself in different homes, each too far for visits from former friends. Instead, I brought my treasured possessions with me to Carlton where I am still a part of the same neighborhood I have been in since 1938.
Neither privacy nor opportunities for interesting activities were available to my grandparents, nor are they in convalescent hospitals and group homes. Here I can choose to be alone or enjoy companionship. I can also choose a familiar activity or experience new and exciting ones that enrich my life. Especially, I can appreciate the difference between solitude and loneliness.
I have been freed from more than seven decades of bondage to household chores. What a joy to enter my apartment once a week to find it vacuumed, dusted, and aired, and with clean bedding and bathroom accessories! ( A funny little side-note: In the laundry room they have washed 14 socks (7 pairs) a week, 52 weeks a year, for more than 8 years, a total of almost 6,000 socks, and the washing machine has not yet eaten a one of them!)
I have been released from the obligation of time-consuming meal-planning and grocery-shopping, from the dullness of eating alone. Here I can order from a splendiferous variety of items that are pleasing to my palate and wholesome for my body. I dine in an attractive atmosphere with good friends who share life stories, laughter and tears. And I don’t have to wash dishes afterward!
I miss not being able to hop into my car at will and just take off. However, transportation is provided to us for church services, for medical appointments, for a variety of shopping and excursions. And I don’t have to buy gas or pay for car insurance.
As a former farm daughter and farm wife, I miss not having a plot of enriched soil that I can turn over for planting things. But every apartment has widened windowsills, where I set my pots of ivy and fern. Walking around the he building I enjoy seasonal color, the sparkle from the fountain, and a pleasant variety of lovely trees – oh, the wonderful trees! I can still be a farm girl and get dirt under my fingernails!
Most important of all, I think, is that convalescent hospitals and group homes concentrate on physical care. Carlton Plaza takes the holistic approach. There are staff members whose primary responsibility is physical care, but others challenge and encourage us to grow mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. I have appreciated that very much. And my kids and adult grandkids think this is a very special “place for Mom.”

Very nice community, Philip was an awesome tour guide and very knowledgeable about the community and residents. The community did not have quite the active and "neighborly" feel that my mother is looking for, but the residents we spoke with seemed very happy there!

An Enjoyable Experience For Mom

My mom is really liking her new home. She likes to play bingo and even won a game recently and called to tell me. The community is a very nice and clean place and it is close to my home. Overall, we are happy with our choice for my mom.

A Good Experience

My relative is doing fine at Carlton Senior Living San Jose. It has been going well for him and has been getting a positive experience.

Review of Carlton Senior Living San Jose - San Jose, CA

Loved this place. Very clean and friendly. Very comprehensive tour given by Patricia. Residents gave me unsolicited recommendations.

nice overall

There was a little miscommunication between the staff and my parents whereby they did not realize that they were going to be the ones making certain decisions, and a few things went wrong due to that miscommunication.

Other than that things have gone pretty well overall. It is a nice place with nice staff.

You'd want to hang out there!

I'm very happy with them. It's very upbeat and positive! It's a very pleasant place...you'd want to hang out there! It even smells good! The staff is very friendly and everything from cleanliness to services provided is excellent.

Toured Tuesday, June 24 @ 1...

Toured Tuesday, June 24 @ 11:00 am. Very nice. Community seems large. Staff very nice. Residents seem very happy. Very clean, friendly. Has all the amenities. Lower rating because of pricing.

South San Jose location. D...

South San Jose location. Don't know if Mom would like this location. Did not like apartments and studios seemed claustrophobic. The dining and entertainment areas were very nice. Very long waiting list for one bedroom...6months. Would not consider studio at this facility. Did not see memory care area. Could be cleaner.

Loved It!

I really loved it. I had a great lunch over there and they were very nice. It was a toss up between this and another one. If we had lived closer there I would have picked that one. It was really pretty and you want them to have a comfortable place to live. The Carlton Plaza was awesome!

great place

So far, so good.

Pets allowed

The reason we chose Carlton Place for my mom is because they allowed her to bring her two cats, which was a big deal for my mom. The area is beautiful and they have lots of trees in the back. They have a smoking area with a gazebo so it is shaded. The staff is very friendly and they know the family members of the residents and address them properly. Carlton Place is just a fantastic place and I would highly recommend it.

This was my first choice. Excellent ...

This was my first choice. Excellent customer service by Lauren Powell. Had a lovely lunch and visit with one of the residents. Excellent tour with Lauren. Only two downsides were its distance from Willow Glen and that we wished one could have option for 2 meals a day (for flexibility). Beautiful. Friendly. Clean. Very nice place, and neighborhood.

Very nice. Good size Good food, fine ...

Very nice. Good size Good food, fine salad bar, flexible eating times. Outdoor parking. Fine amenities.

Building and shared areas are beautif...

Building and shared areas are beautiful but rooms are quite small and no stove (small microwave and fridge/sink)

A little disappointed. They didn't ha...

A little disappointed. They didn't have us scheduled. so we needed to wait a while for someone to show us around and then she couldn't show us the rooms only the property. Nice grounds and property, but not impressed w/ staff and their friendliness. It was more about how we didn't have a tour booked, then helping us.