Brookstone Alzheimer's Special Care Center - Salem, OR

Toured 4/2/18. Pleasant building, but available room smelled terrible -- like months of neglected urine in carpet. I would not want a loved one to live in that without complete replacement. And the smell made me wonder how often rooms are cleaned with residents in them. The administrator stressed that residents are strongly encouraged to leave their rooms during the day (easier to see from the main desk, she pointed out) and insisted on this point even when I noted that my mother is bed bound, in late stage of dementia. She doesn't need to be propped up in a hallway in her last months of life!

We Didn't Feel the Connection

My parent was not happy with what they saw in the community. I let them be apart of the decision making. The room that was shown did not feel like the right one. We also saw that the residents here are more further along with their dementia and alzheimer . My parent know they would not be happy here.

Care for concern

This is a great community for good care. The staff is outstanding. The community is clean and has a nice environment for her care. We liked the menu and the nice variety. They do offer activities for the residents who want to participate with the other residents. We would recommend the good care and nice value for the care of a loved one.

Good facility!

This is a fairly nice facility! The staff care seems to be very good, and the facility is very clean. The food is adequate. We found that this was a significant improvement from the previous facility, so we are pleased.

Outstand Care

I really like the care that my husband is getting here. He likes being here at home. This is a beautiful community . The staff is outstanding and caring. He appears to be happy with the meals. I have recommended the care here for other families for the value and concern. He has enjoyed the bus trips for activities. It makes me happy knowing that he is receiving excellent care at this time.

Praise for Brookstone

Very sympathetic and informative administrative staff: transfer from hospital to the room in facility smoothly done. Explanation of levels of care, charges for services, etc., very clearly presented. Facilities clean and well cared for. Care of my father was attentive and consistent: he was regularly seen to by nursing staff and hospice care representatives. When my father passed away, administrative staff handled transfer to mortuary equally well. I thank Brookstone for taking such good care of us.

Lorene Bower

Thank you for your review. The staff at Brookstone is committed to ensuring the highest quality of life possible for our residents. We are thankful to have had the opportunity to serve you and your father.

Brookstone is the best!

My parents moved in last spring. The staff are plentiful and caring, wonderful people. My dad recently passed away. Staff kept a constant eye on him and kept him comfortable and us well informed. They also kept my mom involved in activities especially when my dad's health was failing and have made her feel part of the community which has made it much easier for her. I cannot say enough good things about Brookstone. They are professional, maintain a quality staff who go beyond the call of duty and very low staff turnover. I am 100% satisfied with the care they have received at Brookstone.

Lorene Bower

Thank you for your kind review. The care you have described reflects the heart of Brookstone's commitment to providing "Meaningful Moments" to both residents and family members.

A very frustrating experience.

They weren't really able to accommodate our loved one's needs. The caregivers got aggressive with our loved one when he didn't want to do what they wanted him to do. When he got aggressive back they had him taken away and wouldn't let him come back and didn't give me any notice or time to find something new. A very frustrating experience.

The decisions surrounding Alzheimer’s Disease and other dementia’s are some of the most difficult that a family must make. Brookstone Alzheimer’s Special Care Center is specially designed and devoted exclusively to the care of those suffering from this disease and other memory loss. We are a free-standing, specialized community, and we offer long-term care, short-term respite stays, and adult day care. A unique feature of our community is supervised care by licensed professional staff, with 24 hour Registered Nursing oversight.
We encourage each resident to function at their highest possible level, and we welcome family participation in the care-planning process. Our atmosphere is warm and inviting – our meals tasty and nutritious – and our staff are specially trained to care for the needs of the Alzheimer’s/dementia resident.

We cannot predict all of the challenges ahead for your loved one, but we are determined to make the best of whatever comes; to help you live in the moment – to take one step at a time. Come visit with us, and discover how special Brookstone is!