Brookdale Yakima - Yakima, WA

Brookdale Yakima - Yakima, WA has yet not published prices.

Sales manager was too pushy

I toured this facility while looking for a place for my Mother. The woman who gave us the tour, [Removed], was just over the top pushy. She was saying anything and everything to get us to sign that day. While on the tour she would say things like, “I just checked the computer and I can give you the best price if you sign right now.” [Removed] was lovely but she was just over the top and kept calling me after the tour to get me to sign. The building itself was okay and the rooms were adequate. However, they were more expensive than other places.

They offer many care services

While looking at different properties for my father, this property seemed like a nice place. We didn’t care so much for the rooms however. The set up wasn’t necessarily to our liking. They cost a little more as well compared to other places, but that’s just because they offer more care services. Since this wasn’t necessary for my father, we didn’t move forward with them. But overall, it is a nice place.

Community

I did a tour of this community. The staff was nice and answered my questions. We were looking for something where the rooms were seperated from one another. We were not too happy with the lay out. Others might like this and would need to see lay out of the community and rooms.

Outsanding care for mom and dad.

This is a nice community. The staff has been great and are always helpful and want to make sure that everything is going good for my parents. They are not yet participating in a activities. I would recommend this for excellent care for loved ones.

Completely Unsatisfactory

After having my mother residing at Brookdale Yakima for approximately 6 weeks until her death on July 12th, I can honestly say I would not even give this facility a rating; however in order to post this review I have to choose a rating so I give the facility the lowest rating possible.

From the time we contracted to place my mother at Brookdale-Yakima, we began incurring charges. Even though my mother was hospitalized until May 30th at which time she was discharged from the hospital and moved into Brookdale-Yakima, we incurred charges from the date we signed the contract, even though she did not move in until May 30th due to her hospitalization. AND, I might note that her hospitalization was the result of two significant falls and blows to her head that occurred while she was temporarily in respite care at [Removed] pending permanent placement!

Once my mother was permanently moved into Brookdale-Yakima, she received completely unacceptable care. She did not receive a shower for 3 weeks after she moved into B-Y! We were being charged for showering and dressing/grooming on a daily basis, in addition to the monthly basic service agreement rate for her unit.

On numerous occasions, when I stopped in after work to visit my mother, I found her dressed without any bra on; her hair had not been combed; I found her more than once seated in her front room with nothing but her slacks a bra and a jacket with the jacket hanging wide open. Her room was never tidied on a daily basis; her bed was never "made."

Even though this is an "assisted living facility" and meals are said to be provided as part of the basic service agreement, but because my mother was unable to go to the dining room, she was charged for 3 meals each day being delivered to her room from the kitchen. That additional monthly charge was in excess of $500/mo! If meals are "provided" as part of the basic service agreement why the additional charge in order to actually receive those meals?

Her bathroom was a constant mess. I personally witnessed dried feces on the toilet that was never cleaned off; stains from diarrhea episodes on the floor of her bathroom that were never cleaned; I don't believe the floor in her bathroom was ever mopped or waxed the entire time she resided in the unit; various items were strewn about the sink and small counter area at random; trash was on the floor next to her toilet and never placed in the garbage.

When someone "assisted" her with dressing and grooming in the morning, or getting ready for bed at night, her pajamas in the morning or clothes in the evening were simply wadded up and sometimes thrown in the bathroom sink, or on the floor in her closet. Her laundry was to be done once a week, which we had to increase to twice a week and in the short time my mother resided there four pairs of her slacks disappeared...never to be located.

The final straw was finding out that even though my mother died early in the morning on July 12, 2016, after having been in a hospice care facility for about 12 hours, and we moved everything out of her unit at B-Y that same day by 12:00 noon, we are now told we will still be charged for five additional days of the basic service rate from the date of her death/move out of the facility - even though she is dead and gone and no longer even in existence, AND all of personal possessions and furniture have been out of the unit as of July 12, 2016.
Written on July 19th, 2016

Great place and people, needs some follow up on promises and services

Brookdale Yakima is a very nice facility. In the process of moving my parents in, some issues arose. They signed their contract on 5/12/16, but their specific unit was not ready for occupancy. We were assured that getting the unit ready would be of the highest priority. A move in date was set for May 27. That did not happen. Nothing had been done in the unit. Movers had been contracted, so the date was changed to May 31. Still not ready, so changed again and again. First movers backed out due to all the changes. Unit was not ready for occupancy until June 22, more than a month after the contract was signed. United needed new paint, carpet, flooring in kitchen, bath, entry, holes in walls needed to be fixed, a new refrigerator, new doors on closets, and a variety of other issues. I personally feel the cost is excessive, but in checking other places, it appears to be in line. We are fortunate that our parents can afford this lovely place.
On May 27 they moved into a 1 bedroom unit pending completion of the renovations in their 2 bedroom unit.
The people are very nice. The facility is lovely with lots of get away places. Johnathan in the dining room it outstanding. My parents are settling in to their unit. Now that they have their own furniture and things around them, I think they will be happy.
Now getting settled into a routine, with the minimal assistance dad currently needs will be the test. I know everyone wants to do a good job and I am hoping that things smooth out. A better review, I am sure, will occur after the issues about care and timing of things that were promised have been resolved.
I cannot really rate activities as my parents have not yet participated in many. I am hoping that changes.
The food has been very good with plenty of options.
I am thankful that my parents found such a pleasant place.

A nice place!!!

Brookdale Yakima is a nice place. I would have to say the cleaning crew need some help. They do not do a very good job taking care of certain parts of the community. My mom likes the food and the staff are attentive to the residents as well as they keep us informed of her care. There are activities for the residents to enjoy.

Very Nice

When I went their and visited and now my loved one lives their. I am very pleased with the facility and so is my family member. The staff is very caring and they have some activities. The rooms are nice and much needed space.

We met with Ms. Brown on Monday. Everyone we met was very friendly. The residents were active and looked happy to be there. The dining area was very inviting. We were impressed with the one bedroom that we were shown.

Nice place, but price can increase quickly

Overall things have gone well here, although I was not entirely pleased with their pricing structure. The facility itself is very nice, and the caregivers are all very friendly and professional. The price seemed fine at the beginning, however shortly after we moved my loved one in they began adding on other services and the fee very quickly increased. It was enough that we were considering finding another facility, but we had already paid the large non-refundable community fee as well. To be fair, they were somewhat flexible when we discussed things with them and dropped a few of the added fees.

This community has been a good fit fo...

This community has been a good fit for our parents. The staff is courteous and helpful. They are making an effort to see that all needs are met. Enjoy the interaction with the other residents. They make us feel part of the community when we visit.

We were disappointed in thi...

We were disappointed in this community when walking in the front door. There were alot of people wandering right around the front door. We found the housekeeping somewhat lacking. I asked one of the ladies in the dining room how she liked the food and she advised she didn't like the food here.

Could use more staff

What we liked is that it enables my dad to socialize with people and the staff is friednly and I think the food is relatively good, I haven't tasted it -my dad says it's just food- but they seem to pay attention to his diabetic needs.
I think that more staff would help, it's a problem that prevents them from cleaning as well as they should and sometimes the forget to pick up his laundry so sometimes he has 2 weeks of laundry, but they're always really good if they've forgotten to pick it up and get it back to him the same day. One of the things that has been an issue from time to time is the physical therapy people want my dad to be walking up and down the long hallway 2 times a day and the staff comes in to ask him if he wants to walk and he'll say no so they leave him. If they had more staff they might be able to just get him up and walking so he doesn't lose what he gained in therapy.