Brookdale Shawnee - Shawnee, KS

Brookdale Shawnee - Shawnee, KS has yet not published prices.

Very dissappointed

I think this facility is better for people that drop their loved ones off and aren’t involved with their care. Staff and management are rude and [Removed]. Food is horrible, most of the time the staff can’t even tell you what they are serving. The bathroom toilet and floor are always dirty. Very very disappointed in the quality of care. Mom was very sick for 5 days before they even noticed. It is a huge worry, can’t wait to get her moved. Management is totally incompetent and gets worse from there. There are 3 or 4 staff members that are very good, the others not. Problems have been discussed with the director to no avail, completely ignored. The quality of care you get depends on the nurse on duty. There is one we think the world of, the others not.

Community Working Out Well

This community is working out well for my mother in law, and her needs. They are taking good care of her, and her needs. I know she is safe, and in good hands. The staff is good, and providing her with good care. Everything is moving in the right direction for us since her move to this community, and it is one I would recommend.

Terrible Experience

My mother was in this community for a month, and she had a horrible experience. I was not satisfied with anything they did for us. This community has major room for improvements. Their staff needs to be more caring, and attentive. They need to provide a better level of care for their residents. We were not pleased with my mothers stay in this community.

The Only Willing Community

The staff were doing the best they could with my dad. The staff had a challenging experience and they still continued with the services he needed. While he was there he did participate in some of the activities. We picked this community because they of their willingness to provide services to my dad and no other community wanted to try or backed out.

Nice Facility

So far everything has worked out well with my mothers move to this community. She is safe, and receiving good care. I know she is in good hands. The staff have been very attentive to her, and helpful. They do a good job with keeping around the community neat, and tidy. This is a nice facility, and I would recommend it.

Mom's great Care

My mom is very happy here. The staff is taking excellent care of her needs. The community is clean and well taken care of. We are happy with the activities that are offered. I would highly recommend this community to others for excellent care for a loved one.

Great Tour!

Everyone was great at Brookdale Shawnee! The staff were very resourceful and able to address all of my concerns. They showed great dedication to their residents. The community overall was nicely kept and maintained. The tour was very helpful in our search for a place for my mother.

Friendly community. Seemed nice, but all memory care. I was looking for something for both of my parents and only one needs memory care, so I choose a different place. If looking for someone that only needs memory care, then it would be great.

Strong foul odor in a portion of Brookdale Shawnee!

Everything has been fine since dad's move to Brookdale Shawnee. The move went very smooth and it has taken some time for dad to transition. The staff are friendly and have been helpful with the move. They offer a variety of activities and my dad has enjoyed participating. The community is well kept throughout. However, down a particular wing in the community there is a strong urine odor. I have visited numerous times and the urine smell is still present.

Could use some work.

The Brookdale Shawnee is a well kept community. They offer a variety of activities for the residents to participate in. The community would benefit from better training staff on how to deal with memory care residents. Specifically encouraging hygiene care, and participation in activities, socialization.

Nice clean facility with a happy atmosphere. A contender in my search. Staff was professional and has long tenure.

A safe place for our mom

Everyone is very helpful in helping my mom to adj to her new place. my mom has adj really well and has only been there for 2wks, which made me feel really at ease and trusting their hands with my mom. i would recomend Brookdale to anyone who looking for the perfect place for their parents. thank you to all the staff.

Incompetence personified

Completely disappointed with the operation, and will be leaving as soon as possible. Have heard a number of tenant complaints, and definitely agree. Hallway help seem competent, but management definitely are unsuited for their field.
Haven't seen such incompetence for a very long time

Brookdale Senior Living

We regret to hear that you are unhappy with your experience. We encourage you to call our Resident and Family Connections team so we can learn more details regarding your experience. We have also shared your feedback with our regional operations team for review.

Review of Brookdale Shawnee - Shawnee, KS

When my parents moved in 9/13 this place was frustrating to work with the personnel. No follow up. No call backs.

This year (2015) I see everything has improved. Better communication. More confidence working with staff. I will miss Jenny very much.

Good Place To Be

I would highly recommend Brookdale Shawnee . The care givers are kind gentle and above all patient.There is a nurse on duty 24 /7 as well as a MD /Nurse Practitioner that rounds on patients.A dental hygienist sees residents once a month. Taking your loved ones to outside appointments is not often easy having all of this available is helpful.The Director and activities coordinator are invested in making this a great place to be. They are willing to listen and problem solve if difficulties arise.I forgot to mention that there are fun activities schedule for the residents daily and that the individualized care plans are thorough and reviewed with the families.

Review of Brookdale Shawnee - Shawnee, KS

Great staff, but too much turn over.

Review of Brookdale Shawnee - Shawnee, KS

My wife has been housed at Brookdale Shawnee for the past two years. I have been very satisfied with the care & consideration she has received. The staff is a top-notch group.

Superior care at Brookdale Shawnee

Mom and Dad visited my family and I in Virginia in May of 2013. I'd seen Mom deteriorating over the last few years, but this time was the worst by far. I couldn't believe Dad even attempted the two-day drive with her. He was so exhausted when he arrived that he sat down in the recliner and slept for five straight hours. He was haggard, run down, and weary of living and loving.

His purpose of the trip was to get my opinion on what to do with Mom. We spent a long time talking about it, and my wife and I convinced him of what he already knew but was reluctant to admit...Mom needed more care than he could provide. Fortunately he had already done his research on facilities, and had determined that Brookdale Shawnee (formerly The Sweet Life) was the best facility in the area. So in June of 2013 my brother and I went home to help move Mom in.

I cannot imagine a better place for a family member to be cared for than the Brookdale facility in Shawnee, Kansas. I've visited Mom several times in the last two years, and on each visit I leave impressed with the compassion and professionalism of the staff. They provide exquisite care in a demanding environment. They keep Mom clean and comfortable despite her physical ailments, and somehow they even manage to keep track of all the items she continues to misplace...shoes, glasses, sweaters, etc.

The staff has always had a smile and kind words for visitors also. They go out of their way to make sure that family and friends know their loved ones are being cared for.

Even though my visits are infrequent, I know the care provided is not just a show for visitors. I can tell because Dad is back to his lively and vibrant self. While resigned to the fact that Mom will never be well, the superior care that Mom is receiving has lifted such a burden from his shoulders that he is living again. And for that I cannot say enough words of gratitude.

I know that caring for Dementia patients is taxing, but The Brookdale Shawnee staff make my mother feel safe, loved, and comfortable. Last summer I was with her while a visiting performer sang Elvis Presley, Everly Brothers, and Johnny Cash tunes from the 50's and 60's. Mom can't remember anything within the last 30 years, but she sang those songs from her childhood. It brought true joy to her eyes, and reminded me that inside she's still alive.

Brookdale Shawnee has my complete support, and I hope you'll consider them for a second Best of Senior Living award. You're welcome to contact me if you have any questions or would like to follow up.
I know that care for dementia patients can be

I would recommend it highly for anyone.

They are doing great. It has been a lifesaver for me and for her. We couldn't be happier, unless it was closer. I would recommend it highly for anyone. It took a little while to get settled in, but everything is smooth now. The food here is excellent. The help is wonderful. It's homey, and cozy, and they have gatherings. They have really good parking, it's right outside the door, so when you go to visit it's close. It's also a pretty secure building.

It's not working out so great for us.

It's not working out so great for us. They are definitely clean and beautiful. They are not very attentive though. I don't think they keep a close enough eye on the residents. Maybe they need more staff, I don't know.

A Beautiful Memory Care Facility

I had only two weeks - during the holidays! - to find a place for mom when she developed hallucinations. I asked others for their recommendations, and several recommended the "old Sweet Life" (former name). While mom was furious at being taken from her home, she soon saw the benefit of having people take care of her needs. Her room is absolutely lovely and was spic-and-span when we moved in. Brookdale is more like a very nice hotel than a memory care facility (and I toured another facility that still makes me shudder). They do not accept Medicaid, though, which has left us with some serious budgeting. Every person we've dealt with has been personable, friendly and helpful. They are in touch with me frequently and I visit a few times a week, always welcomed by the staff. My sister and I feel totally secure with having Brookdale watch over our mother.

If I could give the staff a ten I would. I am so deeply impressed.

If I could give the staff a ten I would. They are friendly and kind and good to the residents there. They have something daily, probably multiple activities daily. He would like more vegetables. I've had such a great experience and he is so much happier. The staff, with the care that they give, and the interaction with the resident. This is made for memory care, the way it's thought out. They have a large area where they can roam around, and they have activity stations, and a community center. It has a really open freedom kind of feeling. I am so deeply impressed.

They were great here. They were clean and they were friendly. They did a great job getting our loved one back up and on their feet, they wouldn't give up! It was covered by medicaid too. The food here was good too.

Nice Memory Care

I really like the Sweet Life @ Shawnee it was not far from out house and the community was real nice, they only down side I know my father needs memory care it was a little exspensive with all the fees included.

Looked very nice during our tour

We toured this community when we were looking into options for a loved one. We looked at quite a few options during our search, and this was one of the more impressive places that we saw. It is a very nice looking facility, and the staff seemed exceptionally kind and professional. It was, however, one of the more expensive options that we looked at.

They take 3-4 trips outside of home e...

They take 3-4 trips outside of home every week weather permitting. They work more on the one on one with the patient.

BEAUTIFUL, peaceful, serene place. T...

BEAUTIFUL, peaceful, serene place. Tailored activities to individual.

NURSE 24 HOUR NURSE ASSISTED LIVING. ...

NURSE 24 HOUR NURSE ASSISTED LIVING. MAY WORK WITH INSURANCE 5500 TO 6000 A MONTH

At The Brookdale Shawnee, we know that memory losses due to Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia are progressive and residents' needs are continually changing. We provide balance in our residents' capabilities, personalities and preferences to create daily routines that enhance their spirits and increase their sense of purpose. We believe the amount of satisfaction our residents receive from the tasks that fill their days goes a long way to maintaining their sense of purpose and overall satisfaction with life. An Integral part of this is our promise to encourage each resident to find Daily Moments of Success. To help our residents achieve these moments, our associates receive the tools and training needed in such key areas as specialized dining and the ongoing monitoring of healthcare and behavioral needs, to name a few.

The Brookdale Shawnee provides Alzheimer’s and dementia care residents with the lifestyle, housing and services they need in comfortable surroundings combined with the amenities, programs and care they need to help stimulate recognition, recall and wellness in a safe environment. Through years of caring for individuals with dementia we have learned how to create optimal surroundings and approaches to care. Familiar environments that our residents have enjoyed throughout their lives are recreated to help them feel reassured and comfortable. Our Alzheimer’s and dementia care programs are built to embrace, not restrict our residents' desire to wander and to provide a sense of belonging.