Brookdale Memorial City - Houston, TX

Brookdale Plaza Memorial City provides a full range of choices for today's seniors. Choosing a senior living community represents a lifestyle choice and we understand that our residents are choosing much more than a comfortable living environment to call home. Our Brookdale community delivers Inspired Independent Living, with the promise of Exceptional Experiences Everyday. In choosing this community, our residents have made a conscious lifestyle decision designed to deliver enhanced opportunities for pursuing health and life fulfillment through the exceptional services, amenities and opportunities we offer. And, our residents can rest assured that as their needs change we provide a variety of ancillary services and a Personalized Assisted Living environment that encourages our residents to continue to live as they please while respecting individual preferences.

Nice but to dark

We toured this community and it was nice. The staff was helpful and they answered all of my questions. The apartments were dark it depresses us if it's dark. They were very friendly here it just didn't fit our needs.

Laundry facilities are in are common area (not apt).
Apartment doors are exposed to weather thus walk to meals in heat, rain, cold weather.

Settled In Well

My wife, and I am doing well with our move to this community. We are settled in, and doing good. Everyone has been kind, and welcoming. They do a good job with the cleanliness around the community. There are good meals provided, and nice activities offered. Everything has worked out good for us since our move to this facility.

My new community home.

I like living in the community. The staff is very helpful and caring.The community is always clean and the staff is always willing to help. The menu is very good and I like knowing that they offer healthy meals with a nice variety to choose from. I like being able to participate with the other residents in the activities. I would recommend this community to others for the good value of a nice place to live.

Thanks for this referral [Removed]! [Removed] met with us, answered all questions, gave a detailed tour, was candid about costs, and listened to what Mom's & our family situation is and explained what they have to fig her/our needs. Great experience

A good tour!!

I toured Brookdale Memorial City when I was looking for a place for my friend. It was a nice facility, very clean and the tour guide that took me around was friendly and knowledgeable. It was a good experience to tour.

I like it here

The staff at this community are friendly and helpful. The food is ok and they do keep the community clean. They do offer some daily activities. I like that the doors to the apartments open to the outside and I would recommend this community.

All is Well for My Mother in This Community

I have found a good community for my mother, and her needs. Everything is working out well, and she is doing well since her move to this community. I'am pleased with everything they have done for my family. All is well for my mother in this community.

I have only been at the facility a couple of days, as I am still packing to move but everyone has been real nice and helpful. My apartment was repainted and they installed new carpet. I will write more next month after I have been there longer.

Mom Is Doing Much Better

My mother is doing much better since her move to this community. I'am very satisfied with her move to this community. She is in very good hands, they have a wonderful staff. They are really kind, and have been helpful when needed.This is the best community she can be in, I'am pleased with all they have done for my family. This is a community I would highly recommend, it really it is a great place.

A friendly community and the staff is good

I have enjoyed living at this community. They keep the community well maintained. This is a large complex so there can be a lot of walking. They do have nurses here that will check on you and help with your medication. They offer a shuttle to different locations. The meals and electric are included in your rent. The food is ok. This community has suited my needs and it is located close to the mall. They keep the community clean and you are able to have your apartment cleaned.

Mom is Doing Great

So far everything is working out great for my mother at this community. She is doing great, and I'am satisfied with her move to this community. This is a nice community. At the moment they are in a transition with the staff. I do feel they are under staffed, and our move-in process would had gone smoother if they had more staff. Other than that issue things are working in the right direction, and this is a community I would recommend.

Very Nice

This is a really nice community, and my tour of it went well. Everyone was very nice, and welcoming. The community looked great. The experience went well.

Mother in Law Loves it Here

This is an amazing community, and my mother in law loves it here. It is a great community with kind people. There are plenty of activities available for the residents.
She loves the food, the meals are great. They have provided us with great service, and we are very pleased with her move to this community. I would move here myself, and I would highly recommend it. Everything is working our very well.

Looking Forward too Our Move

My wife, and I am looking forward to our move to this community. We are still working out a few things, but we know this is a gonna be a good move for us. The community looks great. The room they showed us is nice ,and big. They have a lovely staff at this community. They are very polite, and welcoming. This is a community I would recommend to my family, and friends.

Nice Tour

Pretty nice tour of this facility.

My choice!

If it was up to me, I would have chosen this community. I liked all of the staff and the tour was wonderful. Also, it was convenient for me to visit her as its close to my home. We let mother chose and she chose another community, but this place was very nice!

Very nice place so far!

Our loved one has only been here a short time, but our experience has been a very positive one! It's a great looking place, and the staff have been incredibly friendly and welcoming. They were a huge help throughout the whole process!

To much for pets!

I really liked this community. It is really nice and it is clean. I liked the staff they were friendly and took good care of me while I was on the tour. The only thing was that I have cats that I want to bring and they charge way to much to have a pet. This community just did not work out.

The right place...NO question!

I toured 4 other facilities in my search for my mother's new home, and Brookdale stood out as the clear choice for meeting ALL our needs.
- Convenient location
- Friendly staff
- Apartment style living for a true independent living experience. (Others had a hotel-like feel.)
- Great overall value

The right place...NO question!

I visited about four other facilities for my mother, and Brookdale Memorial City was a perfect fit and within our budget. It checked off ALL our boxes. Thrilled!

My father's choice

I am very happy with the care that my father is getting here. We love the staff and how the clean the community is all the time.. He has special needs on eating and the staff is very helpful. They do offer him activities, but he is not participating. He walked into this community and made the decision that was where he wanted to live. I highly recommend the great care to other families and the good value.

It Is Working Out

It has been just fine for my parents since moving into this community. They like the meals that are served. The staff are helpful and attentive and everybody is very nice. Plenty of activities are offered but it is not really my parents thing. I am happy that they are there. A lot of my worries are gone.

Great Transition

Brookdale Memorial City has been a good transition for my aunt. The staff are friendly and helpful and have made my aunt feel comfortable and welcomed. She enjoys her meals, a glass of wine and socializing with other residents at the Bistro. The location is great too. Walking distance to Memorial City Mall.

Great staff!

The staff that offered the tour at Brookdale Memorial City were very friendly and courteous. They were able to address all of our concerns. They did a well explaining all the benefits and amenities they had to offer. The community is very well maintained.

Good Community, My Tour Was

My tour of this community was very nice. This is a good looking community. Everybody was very welcoming and friendly. The community looks great, everything was very neat and tidy. Our tour guide was very helpful and informative. If would had been a little closer to me, I would had moved my mother here. It was a very good tour, I enjoyed it.

Very Happy With My Move Here

Everything has worked out very well for me here at this community. I'am very happy with my move, it is a good place. Everybody has been very kind and welcoming. The residents are friendly and sweet. They even allow you to try out the meals for two months free. The meals are decent, but I'am getting use to it. They have great rates, I got a very good price. Overall I'am happy here and it has been a great experience.

I like this community!

Mom is doing pretty good at Brookdale. The staff are good, mom likes them and we have good communication. She likes the food and they do work a little with her diet. They offer a lot of activities at this clean community. I would recommend this community.

Nice place, overall

Brookdale Memorial City seems like a nice place, overall! The facility is clean and well kept, and the people are friendly, My one complaint would be that I think they could do a little more when it comes to decorating the hallways, they can feel a little sparse and institutional. But overall we're very pleased!

Brookdale offers a wide variety of activities such as dominos, bridge, 2 bible studies and exercise classes including water exercises!!

I have enjoyed living at this community. The entire staff has been great about coming to see me and asking if there is anything they can do for me. They keep the community clean. This is a larger community as it consists of 8 buildings. They have 2 dining rooms and 2 restaurants. The food is fair as some days are better than others. They offer a wide variety of choices. Some of the larger apartments like mine have a laundry room in them.

A beautiful place!!!

I have only been at Brookdale Memorial City for a short time and I am still learning the ins and outs. The staff are attentive to each resident and helps them when they need it. I have not yet had the opportunity to try the food as I do still cook for myself. I have met a few people here and while I have not had a chance to participate in the activities they do offer a wide variety of them. I would recommend this community if you are looking for a quiet place with a friendly atmosphere and where most of the residents keep to themselves.

Nice place, overall

Overall our experience with Brookdale Memorial City has been a good one! It's a nice looking place, the people are friendly, and my loved one has settled in well. Our only issue is that it is a long walk from my loved one's room to the main dining area, so if she misses the hours that the cafeteria near her room is open she has to walk quite a distance.

Highlights of the Community

Everyone on the staff is extremely helpful and friendly. Have never encountered anyone who did not great me with a hello and a smile and that includes the other residents. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. The housekeeping staff always does a good job of cleaning my apartment. The food is quite good and there is a variety of menu items. There are lots of activities if you want to participate and transportation for you needs also.

A great place. They are a little unorganized, but are always responsive to concerns.

Tour of Brookdale and rated this one the best for our price range.

Our visit with the salesperson was great. She answered all of our questions. The apartment that we agreed on meets our needs and price range. We ate lunch which the sales person paid for. The food we chose was good. We ask about activities, exercise equipment and pool, which we were given a chance to see. By squeezing in and seeing several places, it is hard to remember and keep all the places separated. We were on a time limit and would have liked to spend more time at the place. We were told that carpet and apartment would be cleaned and repaired if it needed it. I did request to our salesperson that I wanted laminate in the dining-living area but was not told that there would be quite a large cost to us to have that done. There was a misunderstanding about that and carpet was installed throughout the apartment. (I have a problem with dust and carpet is harder to keep dust out.) If we wanted it changed out it would take longer for move=in date. (We were given January free because of not selling our house.) I gave in to the carpet and may be sorry for that.
We are sending our furniture down after the 15th of February and we will follow as soon as our house sells.
Will let you know more after we have moved in.

Toured

I toured this community while looking into care options for a loved one. The facility was well kept and clean, although a bit on the older side. The staff I met were friendly and helpful, as well. However, I don't think my Dad was quite ready for this level of care, he needed somewhere a little more active.

They are very nice! The facility is very nice.

He Really Likes It

I know that my loved one really likes the Brookdale Memorial City, including all of the staff members there. They do not recycle though, so I think my loved one would really appreciate that and value if they did it.

very good

Everything has been very good with Brookdale Memorial City. I was at another place before that I did not like as much. I have been very well pleased with my stay here and would recommend them.

Very nice!

I'm very pleased with how things have turned out at Brookdale Memorial City! I'd give them top marks across the board! It's a clean, well kept facility, and everyone has been very friendly. They've also got a lot of great activities!

so happy here

I am very happy at Brookdale Memorial City. The only thing that could be improved a little is in the bistro. They need more help. The girls are running their legs off trying to do everything. Residents have to wait a long time just to get a slice of pizza. I would like to see them hire more staff. Everyone is so wonderful here. They have wonderful activities and entertainment. I am just so happy here.

Toured the facility today. It's really nice. It is an option. Want to visit a few more facilities before making a decision.

People are great but generally very old.

Food is great, portions are small.

Management is not the greatest.

Brookdale Senior Living

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We will share your feedback with our management team.

New Experience at Brookdale Memorial City

We are one week into my mother-in-law's new living arrangement at Brookdale Memorial City (BMC), Houston, TX. The facility is wonderful, but do expect some costs up front, such as a $2,500.00 non-refundable deposit and possible pet deposits. A transition team was offered to help move her and set up her apartment, but their bid came in at almost $2,400 (independent contractor). We chose to hire local movers and move her ourselves. We now realize that at her house, she was likely experiencing boredom/depression. Here she is active, eating really good food, enjoying the maid staff, and trash pick up (inclusive in the rent). Her only expenses include her internet, cable, and phone. It seems she meets a new friend each day; even though a few are a little reticent at first to welcome a new person, she really enjoys the interaction. She missed the first big field trip because she didn't get her name on the list in time or have the $35.00 in cash to pay for it, but now we know to make our decisions faster next time. Her stay at BMC is funded by her social security benefits and the sale of her home. All of us children are still working, and having her at BMC means that she can see us AND enjoy active independent senior living (with her beloved pets) without feeling that she has been "put away" somewhere. To us, that is priceless.

I think they do everything pretty well. There is a lot of sick people here, that's why they move in here, but they take good care of them and have caretakers that are very, very nice.

Well I think the friendliness is the biggest reason why we selected them. It's a good location for us and we're really pleased with how friendly they are.

Loved the facility. Seemed a little confusing as far as the hallways.

4 stars.

The Brookdale Memorial City is a nice community. The staff has been helpful and caring. The value is great. The care givers do a good job at taking care of my loved one. Overall, The Brookdale Memorial City is pretty good.

Great facilities

My level of care doesn't require as much as most other residents. I still do get the same care and attention regardless. The facility is very clean and the staff is very friendly and professional. A very clean and comfortable no other issues and meals are ok, a little bland but no complaints.

A Great Place

My Mom is in the independent living section of Brookdale Memorial City Community. She loves it there! The staff is very friendly and she is enjoying all of the activities available. When Mom first moved in we had some minor maintenance issues in her apartment, but they were addressed very promptly. The food is acceptable, and they do have a good variety. The service is prompt and a well organized staff. We have had no billing issues so far. A great place to live.

Move In Very Easy

Took long time to get cleaning and other household issues done. . Always some one available if to assist father and made move in very easy. A very clean and comfortable no other issues and meals are delicious

Great facilities with lots of activities...Location perfect for family and friends visits. Apartments seem adequate with good little kitchens and seating areas. Came during lunch and it was a beehive of activity....great interaction between staff and residents. Lunch room served what appeared to be really great meals. Services to the Memorial City mall and hospitals still need verification but appear excellent. Price and specials are fair and will be on the list for my Mom to tour personally next week. Only downside could be that the apartments open up to the outside elements instead of an inside climate controlled hallway....rain, cold and heat....that could end up being a good thing in that it forces residents to get out into it but will have to see how my Mom views that.

Friendly and accommodating staff

I think they do a great job overall at Brookdale Plaza Memorial City! It's a nice looking, well run community. Joanne, the woman who helps new residents get settled in, does a great job getting people introduced to the community and familiar with all of the amenities they provide! I've had a chance to have a few meals here, and I've been impressed by the food as well!

I know that she is really happy with it.

I don't really live nearby, so I am not there to see it much. I know that she is really happy with it. She doesn't have concerns or complaints about anything so far.

Seemed like a nice place!

We helped place a loved one here, and although I only saw it once in person from what I heard everything has gone very well there. It was an attractive, clean facility, although they were in the middle of some construction. The staff were all friendly, and do a great job looking after the residents.

Fits our needs perfectly!

Fits our needs perfectly!

Brookdale Plaza Memorial City

Brookdale Plaza Memorial City has been very accomodating for my mom's move-in time frame. Everyone I've spoken to is friendly and helpful; the place itself is beautiful, and residents look like they are having a great time.

Very nice.

Very nice.

2br2b,$2,945 with 300 food ...

2br2b,$2,945 with 300 food credit.We pay phone.

Terraces at Memorial City. ...

Terraces at Memorial City. Dayna Stewart gave us tour. She was very professional, pleasant. Nice brochure. Rates include $300/month for food. Best overall rooms and facility. Impeccably clean and managed. Orchard (505 sq ft) efficiency $1456 Persimmon (616 sq ft) 1-bed $1690 Great specials available that day at $1396. Cable and telephone separate. Very nice dining rooms and also Bistro for sandwiches, etc. Think Bistro is now open weekends. Close to Memorial City Hospital and Mall. Extra info given regarding VA assistance. There is a $40,000 limit on assets. You qualify if you break even or are in the red.

If I wanted to stay in Hous...

If I wanted to stay in Houston, this is a definite maybe! A friend lived there until her death.

This has been not a great experience.

The apartment is lovely because we made it that way, the move in was a nightmare, they promised things that never happened. There is supposed to be an ambassador program, where someone will show you around, that never happened. They were supposed to do some maintenance in my apartment and that never happened, unitl after I moved in. This community could be a wonderful place, the attitude of the people that live here is deplorable. The dining room is very cliquey, as are the activities. There is a $300 meal allowance, and the food is awful. I will say that the lady that is now in charge, Sabina, she is lovely and new to the job. The new girl is very sweet and receptive to trying to make things right. The bistro is lovely but the food has been the same since I have been here. This has been not a great experience. It's too bad, it really is a lovely place, it's a great location and a nice area of Huston and could be a really nice place. There are four washrooms on the levels, there is a woman who contracts to wash other peoples laundry, they allow her to tie up all the washers and dryers on the second and third floor all day. Maintenance is great. The sales group I would give a minus or a zero, the office I would give them at least a four. If they are telling you something in the sales office, you need to get every single thing they say in writing, if they say they will replace things, get it in writing. I can't stress that strongly enough.

I just don't have anything good to say about them.

It cost me a lot of money to move here and nothing they told me came to pass. The food is nasty, you can't hardly eat it, and you either eat it, and they will cut you off at the 300 dollar mark at ten dollars a piece, or don't eat at all. I have tried to give it to other people who have visited, and they won't eat it either. It's cooked in an entirely different building, and they bring it out on big carts and wake me up every morning at 7:30, and not all the food is covered when they transport it. The dinning room is only open from 8-1, and the bistro is even nastier, what you get is a combination of all the vegetables they won't eat in the dinning room. I have lost my deposit they won't refund it. There is nothing going on here, no activities. there are apartments on all four sides of a courtyard three stories tall, nobody comes out. The laundry room has tile built up around the washing machine and it is uneven, and unsafe. Everyday has been something different. It's too big to even know what goes on. I hear that they have recently changed hands. Once I got here nobody came to tell me where anything was or help with anything at all. Everything you need is a different price and a seperate charge. Nobody has been friendly, I just don't have anything good to say about them.

Great place!

This place has been great so far! It is very nice looking, and clean, and the staff have all been very friendly. The only issue I've had so far has been an ongoing ant problem. The keep spraying individual rooms when they need to spray under the foundation to get the source!

Good for Independent Living

My mother was living there, driving a car, and living independently. She had a stroke in July, and she was never able to come back. In general it is a very nice place, she had a nice apartment and really good friends there. The last director left during her illness. She had complaints about this that and the other, which they all do at that age. My mother was lactose intolerant and they didn't really gear the menu for anyone that had that issue so she had great difficulty finding food. We didn't like some of the rules, they are sort of strange but in general it's a nice place. She'd been there for over 8 years. What I do think would be better is if they provided a section with more assistance. You have people living totally independently and something happens and they are never able to return home. There is no in-between section to come back to for help. They had some type of home care program for $20/hour, but they would only come in once in a while. It's not what I would consider assisted living. Some of the residents would talk about the fact that if they got sick, they could never go back to their home. While my mother was there, she mostly sat on her computer and we couldn't get her to be more active. You don't really have that much going on at 87 and she was on the computer like it was her hobby. The Terrace is a good place though for people who can live on their own.

My 88 year old mother moved here

we had to wait a long time for the apartment to be ready.
no one contacted us during that time--we had to call and got some strange responses such as
"of course it is ready--it never takes longer than this to get ready"--to "no it is not ready"

We just would have appreciated being kept up to date--elderly people don't like to spend money and then have things unsettled.

Quiet Property

My mother-in-law is at The Terrace-Memorial City. She was able to get in on a special discounted rate which works much better with her budget. She likes her apartment and the opportunity to visit with others when she eats breakfast and lunch. My husband's only complaint is that the maintenance dept is slow to fix things.

Seems good so far

We moved my mom in at the end of August and she's settled in just fine, so far so good. She's meeting lots of people and engaging in the activities and generally enjoying it so far. They had some sort of dance night and song night, karaoke I guess, and she took the bus to get groceries and shes talked about going to a race track sometime. They replaced the air conditioning rather promptly, house cleaning comes in every week and so far everything seems fine. They keep the property very nice actually, it's an older unit but it's definitely not a dump. I just don't give people 5's unless I've dealt with them personally.

Flexible Dining

Mom's been very happy there. The thing I like about it is that even if you have a few health issues you're able to access some healthcare on site which is nice. The only thing that's hard for my mom is the walking. It's a large complex but her apartment is centrally located so she's in good shape. I think they're doing a lot of things to make it more flexible for people to dine which is good. Before they just had breakfast and lunch Monday through Friday. Now what they're offering is you can eat anytime of day you would like from 8 to 8 so that's nice. I guess a certain amount of it is covered in your rent. I like that. I think the more you can do to get the residents together and help them get to know each other more helps too.

My Dad has been living there for a mo...

My Dad has been living there for a month. We are both very satisfied with the community and the services. Would not hesitate to reccommend it to anyone.

Signed a lease this weekend...

Signed a lease this weekend! Great place, great deal, great people. We hope our mom will be very happy

No southern hospitality here

Maybe a zero is too harsh, the staff was wonderful, the apartment was beautful. The staff was going through a transition and hiring more people and we got in on the lack of staff, so my mother fell through the cracks and a lot of other new ones did too. She didn't want to stay there too see if it would pick up. The director was wonderful, the director of activities was wonderful, but they didn't have enough people to help the new ones who were coming in, I hope they do now.

The residents aren't friendly at all, they're mean, they don't accept new people. They finally got tables for new residents because no one would let my mom sit at their table, she would be in tears and it got to the point where she wouldn't even go to the dining hall. My mom talked to another woman who was there and she hated it also, i don't know if its this area but the people were horrible. The directors couldn't have been more apologetic about it, the people are just rude and have their own little cliques like going back to high school.

Great Neighborhood

The location of The Terrace is great the neighborhood is very good and it really makes it convenient for the family as well. The value that they offer is really good they offer so much for the price. We are very pleased with the community and would recommend it to anyone.

Like near memorial Herman. Includes l...

Like near memorial Herman. Includes lunch and dinner 5 days M-F. 1625-1750 for 1 bedroom. Add life alert add $26/mo+ meals on S-Su.

perfect location

perfect location

We were very impressed with The Terra...

We were very impressed with The Terrace and would consider this a place from mom and dad.

Loved it but it has window AC.

Loved it but it has window AC.

Nice, located by Galleria area.

Nice, located by Galleria area.

Director is wonderful. Beautiful com...

Director is wonderful. Beautiful community.