Brookdale Monterey - Lubbock, TX

Brookdale Monterey - Lubbock, TX has yet not published prices.

Somewhat disappointed

Well, it's not all that we were led to believe. The "fantastic food" prepared by a "world-famous chef"...well, I could cook it better and have it more edible! It's mostly chicken, much of it too hard for the residents to chew well and not provided with gravy even to make it palatable. No condiments are given...butter, ketchup, mustard, etc. If you ask for butter for the rolls, all they have is melted butter in a dish. Who does that??? They never serve milk unless you specifically ask for it. We asked for it to be served every meal, but no, you have to ask every single time for it, and if someone is living there who doesn't communicate well and no family is there to ask, then they are out of luck. The regular bathroom schedule we were led to believe exists doesn't exist either. Often they are left to just be wet until it soaks through to their wheelchairs and leaves them smelling bad. The activities that are done are good, but more are needed especially on Saturday and Sunday when the residents are bored. The nurses are good about doing medications and working with you on pharmacies and such and the transportation is good to appointments. This may be the best memory care in Lubbock, but there are definite improvements that could and should be made -- or else quit advertising all the stuff that isn't happening!

The facility was bright and inviting. I was impressed to see the amount of activity the residents were involved in on a regular Wednesday.

Very Active Community

This is an very active community. They keep the residents very busy through out the day. For some people that would great, but for my mother she isn't that active. Another thing I noticed was that they only had shared rooms available. Also there wasn't any locks on the doors. So that means anybody can walk into the rooms. This just wasn't the community for my mother and her needs.

some of the workers need better attititudes

They can improve by making sure the bathrooms are clean and making sure the toilet paper ring is there. Some of the workers need to work on their attitude. Not all have an attitude but some there needs improvement. They need to work on the way they are with the elders.

need to improve on communication and promptness

They need to improve on communication and promptness at Brookdale Monterey. I just went and visited dad last night and found him with a 101 temperature and extremely swollen knees. No one had called me and whats worse is no one even bothered to give him a Tylenol or anything. I was pretty upset. I will say the staff usually do a pretty good job though. Dad can be difficult at times and they really try to work with him. He has enjoyed the activities there quite a bit. Overall things have been good, I am just hoping what happened yesterday never happens again.

Exceptionally Caring Staff

I just think that the staff at Brookdale Monterey was exceptionally caring, and even though my dad did not have much of a personality left when he got there all the aides seemed to really care about him.

The staff that work there on a daily basis are very friendly and seem to take care of the residents. However, the administration and those running the facility need to be replaced or re-trained. My family has been nothing but frustrated and upset since we placed my father in this facility. The contact person, Allison, promises you so many things but never delivers. We signed my father up under a deal of $2000 a month plus care; however, even with a signed agreement we are still trying to get them to fix the $1500 extra a month they are taking from our account. In addition, we changed the account and they are still withdrawing from the wrong account. Getting my father into the facility was a nightmare. We were told we could get him in the next week. The nurse that was to do the evaluation did not do it when we were told she would and we only found out when we showed up to put my father's things in his room. It meant my father had to stay another week in the hospital he was in. In addition, we were never told by Allison that we needed a Dr. Note saying my father needed to be placed there even though we had medical documentation previously stating so. This caused another 4 day delay as we found out on a Friday. She promised us a smooth transition with help and we have received no help, no communication, and nothing has been fixed. The facility flooded 6 weeks ago so my father is shoved in a room with 3 other people. 3/4 of the place is shut down. This has caused more stress on my father as he doesn't understand what has happened and most of his belongings are gone. The facility promised it would be fixed in 3 to 4 weeks. We are now being told it will be fixed by Mid July. We also found out that the facility flooded 2 years ago; therefore, this should not have happened again. Obviously the problem was not fixed. We were told we would only be charged my father's level of care since we are not getting the room that we should have; however, they again charged us the full price of the room (not even the discounted rate we signed up at). Allison told us that there is someone once a week that will cut the residence hair. We of course pay for it but it is done once a week. My father kept trying to get his hair cut but was told it was only for women. When we asked the staff when they cut the men's hair, no on could answer that questions. We have been lied to over and over and nothing has been done to correct the lies or mistakes. The staff is always nice and answers questions. The facility was nice but should be protected against any future flooding and the administration should learn how to deal with family and fix problems. 3 months of being charged the wrong amount and out of the wrong account is ridiculous. The company that owns them does not seem to care either. They said it will take 60 days to go through the complaint process for them to look at it. We have limited funds for my father's care so every month being charged an additional $1500 while they take their time to correct it is just not acceptable.

Overall it was a good place the staff was friendly and was like home. Didnt was a few activities and things to do. The were caring and understanding.

Not a good experience so far

Our experience with Emeritus at Quail Ridge has not been a good one so far. I don't feel like the staff are adequately trained in Alzheimer's and dementia care techniques. We've only had our loved one here a short time and there have already been two negative situations that could have been easily avoided. I also feel that they are understaffed. That being said, they have been very receptive and accommodating to our suggestions, and I'm holding out hope that things will improve.

Wonderful place, just too far from my home

I only interviewed there. The place was inviting and the cost was comparative. The only reason we went with the other facility was the location of the other facility. Way closer to home. Should we encounter the need, we will switch to this facility.

living at an Brookdale Senior Living community.

delight in showing you our home.

Our Family is Committed to Yours.