Sunrise Villa Tuckahoe - Richmond, VA

Very nice, lots of mobile residents and tons of activities. Another possibility for Mom.

Great if you don't need assisted living help, otherwise flee!

My friend lived here for about 9 months. She needs assisted living help. She was promised the world when she moved in. Most of those promises were not kept, such as making the kitchen sink handicapped accessible. She had a stroke and needs to be helped to get out of bed, dressed, and helped into her motorized wheelchair each morning. Often the aides would forget to get her up, and she would have to buzz them. She often missed breakfast because they were late. One day, she dropped her call button, and she couldn't reach the emergency call chain because her bed was in the wrong place. Because of her stroke, she can't speak very loudly, so she couldn't yell loudly enough for anyone to hear. She couldn't reach her phone. She had to just lie in bed until someone came. Nobody came until 3:00 pm! She had had no trip to the bathroom, no medicines, no food, no water.

She would often wait over an hour for someone to come after she pressed the call button. This made trips to the bathroom very difficult.

She also paid extra to get a bath three times a week, and had to constantly fight to be able to get them. They would constantly forget, or be too busy to give her a bath.

Evidently they are understaffed, and the staff is underpaid. Turnover was very high.

The only efficient people were in the billing department. They happily billed her for all the services she didn't get, and some she didn't even want.

Overall, it looks like a fabulous place to live if you don't need help. The place is clean and bright and friendly. But if you need help now or in the future, think twice!

She had a happy ending to her story: she found a place at [removed]. They are taking excellent care of her.

Excellent extended visit

I recently had the pleasure to meet with Steve and Ashley at Brookdale Gayton Terrace as part of my search for an assisted living home for my adorable, 94-year-old Mom.

After lunch and a complete tour and then back the next day for happy hour (which was great; plenty of alert people talking and enjoying the live music), my Mom decided that this was the place.

Things that resonated with me and my Mom: Steve introduced us to every staff member we met and each one was courteous and friendly and capable; the residents were happy, alert and very friendly, we spoke with 10 or more over our brief stay; the entire facility is clean, bright and well-maintained - very inviting and homey; the food, in my Mom's words, was Excellent!; the cafe on the first floor is welcoming and a great alternative to the large and beautiful dining room; Ashley and Steve are compassionate, smart and extremely helpful.

Ultimately, to my disappointment, my siblings orchestrated a change which is frustrating. However, Steve and Ashley proved again that they are good and kind people through word and actions - very compassionate to me in my frustration and, of course, for my Mom, and also tore up the deposit check which i don't think was require by the agreement.

Although I cannot state what it would be like to live there, this experience was great. I highly recommend a visit if you're looking for assisted living!

A great place for a loved one to be cared for and and live.

Everyone was courteous and friendly. They give a great presentation of their facility and answered all our questions. They were helpful with fining financial options as well. Gayton Terrace was well laid out and all the residents seemed active and happy. The people showing us around made a point of greeting the residents when they passed them in the halls. It was really nice to see that they cared about the residents. I would recommend this place to anyone.

Nice Community

We toured a lot of communities and this one was nice as well. The staff was very nice very friendly and welcoming on the tour. The community looked very nice smelled clean and it was well kept. We had spoken to some of the residents and they seemed to like living there very much.

Mom is doing well

We are very pleased with the progress my mother-in-law is making here. She originally moved into the memory care but they soon felt that she would do well in the assisted living section so now she has a nice apt there. Her transition has been slow as she just lost her husband but the staff are working with her. She does enjoy going to the dining room and given time we are sure she will start to take part in the different activities they offer. This community is beautiful, bright and clean many of the residents have decorated their front doors it's just a comfortable feeling about the atmosphere here.

Great Tour!!

I have no complaints about the tour I had taken of this community. The staff where on time to our appointment and made sure to answer any questions we had for them in detail. It was just not the right fit for my loved one in the end decision.

Check all of your needs.

We moved into a studio apt. in the Memory Care Center but found that the bathroom was not equipped to handle a person in a wheelchair who needed assistance in the bathroom. After an illness shortly after moving in, and then a need for a rehab center it was apparent that we could not return to Gayton Terrace. They are making changes to that bathroom now. Everyone has been extremely accommodating and friendly. I would recommend Gayton Terrace even though it did not work for our needs.

Did not care for the number of units and need for elevators to get around. Too large

My father's care

I am happy with the care of the community. The meals are good and she likes the variety of the meals. They do offer him a lot of activities. We are happy with the size of this community for my father. We would recommend this community to other families for great care and the value.

Outstanding Care

This is a good community and we are happy with the cleanliness. The staff are great and there is a good atmosphere and it is very uplifting with a good feeling. The other residents seemed like they like being there and it gave a great feeling. The other residents informed me that they liked being there and were happy with the community. They have the nice patio and are allowed to the family dog. I am happy knowing that this community is a good home for my mom. I have recommended this community for the care and the value to other families.

A Very Big Community

The tour I had here was very good. I spoke with someone who understood the care I did not have to wait for the tour. The pricing was comparable to other communities. When I got to see the dining room, it seemed like there were 200 people dining. They were too big for my mom.

Starting Off Well

My dad is very happy with the care and the community. It is nice and clean with enough space. The staff are friendly and able to give the care my needs. My dad enjoys the meals and loves any meals with shrimp in it. Activities is available for the residents but my dad is not comfortable yet to join. They have him sitting with the same residents during meals and that is beneficial. I would recommend the community to my friends, it is nice.

Very nice facility and friendly staff! The studio apartment we toured is roomy with a small kitchenette area. The pricing is affordable compared to some other facilities in the same geographical area. A lot of activities are planned for the residents if they choose to be active, and there is no lack of entertainment on campus. My wife and I actually got to listen in on a professional singer giving a mini concert on the day of our tour. Nice! This is a great facility if you or your loved one have a social personality and like to keep active. I would recommend this facility to family and friends!

I Appreciate The Level of Care

I am happy with the care my mom is getting. The staff are understanding and friendly, my mom has a connection with them. They are always quick to respond to any matter. The place is very clean and every time I see my mom, her room is always straightened. We had a little issue with her diet plan, she is supposed to have food chopped up but now we put her on modified soft diet. I really like them and the staff take an interest to the memory care.

Welcoming, Great Staff, Accommodating, Tasty Meals, Just the Right Size Community with services to add if needed

The staff members at Gayton Terrace are wonderful! The nursing staff is willing to work with us to get everything set the way my dad needs it. They are getting used to his routine while he is adjusting to the new surroundings, trying to establish a medication schedule that works. He has been doing so well and has a great attitude! That certainly helps! It was his choice to move in after experiencing a fall where he luckily didn't break anything. So, once he agreed, we set it all up for him, decorated it completely, then moved him in. His apartment is nice and cozy. The only reason I didn't give 5 stars for cleanliness is because currently there is a lot of painting and remodeling going on in hallways and some common areas, but it will be just as nice as the rest of the place once they they are done and hopefully lay down new carpet in the halls.
Gayton Terrace is a large enough community so that there is a variety of people and things to do for my dad, but not so big that he is overwhelmed. He genuinely seems happier and even healthier. The balanced meals and extra walking around to activities and to the dining room is good for him. The activities director got him involved with a bridge group right away and he is looking for more people to be able to play more days a week.
We wish they had the concierge at the front entrance until 11pm as when he first moved in, because the current 9pm is too early for our family, especially during the summer. I just like the idea of someone at the desk when my dad comes home, or we want to visit. Also, my dad hopefully will find people to hang out with after dinner, to play cards, or just socialize. He says that everyone goes back to their apartments after dinner. But I think more companionship will come with time and effort.
I'm so proud of my dad. He is putting his best foot forward. It's not easy for anyone to deal with big change, but I think he feels supported, safe, nourished, comfortable, and welcome at the Gayton Terrace Community! And I love that I am right down the street so I can see him more often! : )

They Care For Her Needs

I have my mother at this community and appreciate their kindness to older folks. It is a clean place and the staff are very friendly and engaging. They listen without interruption to my mother's sometimes longwinded stories. They offer many activities and, although she tends to be reluctant, encourage my mom to join a few. I have had several meals with mom and agree with her that the food is good. Every time I visit her she tells me about how friendly the people are there. Since it has been a positive experience I would recommended this place to anyone

It's expensive, but a great atmosphere

My mother in law has lived at Gayton Terrace for almost four and a half years. The management staff has turned over a few times in that time period, including the head director, this is my only "complaint" but with that being said, I am very satisfied with the current head director, assistant director as well as other staff. This is a very clean, upbeat place where top management stops, talks to the tenants, engages with everyone regularly and always has a friendly smile. The head director is very down to earth, she seems to know the tenants well and mingles with them a lot. My mother in law loves the activity outings and constant things to keep her busy. This is what I consider a top notch establishment and in the past few years, this is the best I have seen thus far as far as the general day to management of an institution of this size.

Comforted as can be so far.

Having not yet moved into the facility, it's difficult to rate some of these topics. My opinions are based on the search for the right facility at the right price.
This process is so very emotionally draining that finding the right place for your loved one is quite personal. So with that in mind, I say that overall Gayton Terrace fit my sister's need best. The facility is very well kept, staff seems more than friendly, and the price for memory care is as attractive of all I reviewed.
The rooms are definately more generous than any at, or near, this price. The sales staff have gone out of their way to assist with the volume of required paperwork, and to make moving so much easier. Both with doing requested alterations to the living space, and moving as seamless as possible. I am very pleased with everything so far. I do recommend checking out Gayton Terrace when looking for memory care for your loved one.

Review of Gayton Terrace in Richmond, VA

This place was unable to please us the first couple of weeks dad was there. Not enough staff. Wouldn't keep room clean.
Laundry forgotten. Dad forgotten when it was time to take him to eat. After much communication on our concerns I think it has finally got better. They seem to understand his needs. So I would say if your independent on your needs this place is good. But we are paying for much extra care since he is not able to do things on his own.

Terrible Communication

The people who handle the billing were not up front about the extra charges. They are also very, very impossible to reach and their level of communication is the worst I have ever experienced. No one really know what's going on and I live out of town, so it was even more difficult.

Poor Customer Service

The staff is helpful until you need something. My mother signed a lease, then couldn't move in until August. They said it was fine, then she had a major stroke and had to go elsewhere, but now they want me to pay a month's rent even though she wasn't supposed to move until August and we told them back in the first week of June. Good sales, poor customer service.

Overall we like it.

Overall we like it. The cleanliness of the facility is excellent. It's always clean. Everyone is very friendly and nice. It's just that they made a few medication mistakes and a few communication mistakes with my parents and us. I think they have been going through transitions. As soon as we address any issues they do take care of them. The Gayton Terrace is a pretty good community. They have a lot of activities.

Only Good for Independent Seniors

Attractive real estate property with good activities well suited for only independent level seniors. Marketing age in place is contradictory to abilities to fulfill that promise for this AL. Not enough staff and constantly changing to inexperienced staff who don't know residents careplan. If senior is in wheelchair or uses walker, not enough staff for prompt assistance in transport or two hour checks. Not enough Med Techs for timely delivery of meds. Lots of mix ups in getting right prescriptions. Med Techs passing meds answering calls at same time. Not enough CNAs to transport or assist with baths, transfers safely to bed or toilet, long waits. Few weekend staff, no guarantee of LPN or RPN on site. Long term residents have more issues longer they stay, too many new residents with acute issues coming in; wandering; dementia; poor mobility being accepted put more pressure on existing staff. Lots falls and calls for ambulance. New Emeritus owner exerts pressure on marketing for heads in beds regardless of staffing to meet needs. Head of Nursing trying to correct but adequate staff to patient ratio not required by law in AL, yet same issues in nursing level care exist here. Charges for extras not disclosed up front, and changes to fee structure occur regardless of original contract. Increases every year, yet assistance services diminished at Gayton Terrace. AL not able to accommodate aging in place, that is a myth.

Don't trust the prices that are quoted by Gayton Terrace

We were promised a certain deal and we were even called by Gayton Terrace to tell us that corporate had ok' the deal. We moved our Father in law in and suddenly the deal was void. The director even called us to say the deal was void. We already moved in and then was told about the renig.

Gayton Terrace is a very ni...

Gayton Terrace is a very nice community. Cassandra is most pleasant and I enjoyed meeting with her and touring Gayton Terrace. I like that they try to keep their residents until they pass on, including Hospice Care. Their only limitation is offering highly skilled care such as IV and Feeding Tubes. No 2 bedroom units are available now, but there is a short wait list.

We Like Them

Overall, we are pleased with Gayton Terrace. There was an incident where they didn't check up on our loved one after surgery, when the doctor instructed that they needed to, so we had to ask them to do it properly. Other than that, they were the full package that we were looking for and we just liked them better than any of the others in the area.

I loved that they had different areas for things.

We really liked Gayton Terrace. I loved that they had different areas for things. They had a room where they could put their movies on, and they had a room with tables for cards. They were three floors, and after giving it some thought, as much as I liked it, I think it would have been too confusing for mom. If someone didn't have Alzheimers, and they didn't get confused, it would be great!

I visited here and liked it...

I visited here and liked it and the staff. They had nice areas for the residents to do things, but the more I think of it, I think it would be a little too confusing for my mom who has Alzheimer's.

Dad liked this 2nd best exc...

Dad liked this 2nd best except for food, but location is NOT convenient - way out west by Nova

Felt it was hard to get around, and w...

Felt it was hard to get around, and would be uncomfortable smoking there.

VERY NICE BUT PRICEY. STILL IN THE MIX

VERY NICE BUT PRICEY. STILL IN THE MIX

Good location for off-site shopping. ...

Good location for off-site shopping. Susie was wonderful, Theo was great also. The new section is amazingly beautiful -definitely does not feel or look like assisted living. The older wing is fine too, just not as posh :). Great facility, nice amenities and rooms were good sizes.

Sunrise Senior Living provides a full range of choices for today's seniors. Choosing a senior living community represents a lifestyle choice and we understand that our residents are choosing much more than a comfortable living environment to call home. Our community delivers Inspired Independent Living, with the promise of Exceptional Experiences Everyday. In choosing this community, our residents have made a conscious lifestyle decision designed to deliver enhanced opportunities for pursuing health and life fulfillment through the exceptional services, amenities and opportunities we offer. And, our residents can rest assured that as their needs change we provide a variety of ancillary services and a Personalized Assisted Living environment that encourages our residents to continue to live as they please while respecting individual preferences.