Brookdale Farmington Hills - Farmington Hills, MI

Brookdale Farmington Hills - Farmington Hills, MI has yet not published prices.

45 minute drive for me. 15 minute drive for [Removed]. Specials every January. Sale price, $1850 in January for a nice sized one bedroom. 6% increase every year. No garage or carport. All first floor rooms. 3 steps with rail down to screened in patio. 3 meals included Monday through Saturday and two on Sunday. Restaurant style with 5 choices to order from. Special requests accepted. Numerous activities, including Bridge, exercise classes, cooking classes, travel. Library with weekly rotation of some books to and from the library, included. Small kitchenette. Sunday Mass. Regular doctor visits. Therapists on staff. Medical staff paid through insurance and Medicare. As needs increase, a la carte additional services are available. Wheelchairs and walkers are acceptable.

Facility needs updating

The person who was giving us the tour seemed fairly new. When we were asking questions, she didn’t have some of the answers and had to speak with her superior to get them. The facility itself seemed a bit tattered. They had a screened in porch and a lot of the screen had been ripped. They could use a little updating with the décor.

Sales manager [Removed] really pays attention to what the persons needs are and what will work for them. She is a true professional.

Very well set up for “age in place” progression. Location convenient. Definitely a possibility for Mom.

My visit

This is a very nice community. The person that took us on tour was nice. The apartments were a good size and the one we saw had a full kitchen. This community was a little farther away than the community we chose.

Staff was super nice and helpful. This location won't work for us. Grounds and exterior need work. Price was good.

It Is a Good Assisted Living

My dad is doing good and adjusted well. My goals were for him to eat on time, stay dry, and sleep well. They are helping with all this. He is in the assisted dining room where they go over the menu verbally for him to pick his meal. From what I have seen the meals look and smell good. I hear he talks with the others at his table and they try to guess what music is playing in the background. He has been to the sing-a-long a couple of times and goes to occupational therapy which is good. I always ask him if he likes living here. He tells me he likes the community. He gained a different view of assisted living. The staff are good and receptive to anything I mention to them. I would recommend them.

Nice place so far

It is only a week since mom moved in but she seems to be quite happy. [Removed] have been quite helpful and welcoming.

Thanks

When my parent had a stroke and left - 1st to the hospital, then rehab, then hospice. BKD GC wanted to charge 60 days rent from the time I told them she was going to hospice. (from the day she had the stroke and went to the hospital it would've been something closer to 90 days).

Only after letters to the CEO of Brookdale was this remedied. The day she went to the hospital I found out when the hospital called me; no one from BKD GC had the courtesy to ever call.

Prior to Gr Ct. she'd been in a different Brookdale home for about a decade. Only when she was at the rehab (after the stroke) did I discover from their doctor that she was on a super-strong dose of a psychotropic (anti-psychotic) drug and had been for several years. After researching it I discovered that critics call these types of drugs "Chemical Restraints" - used improperly to make the elderly more pliable. The law says there must be "informed consent" given. (I didn't even know what psychotropic meant-had to look it up - let along getting anything close to informed consent).

Consequently, I would be very leery of any Brookdale-owned facility. Also would have concerns over the independent nursing/caregiving company used at Grand Court; as they never said a word about the psychotropic drugs and the mgr in general wasn't particularly impressive.

An Intermediate Visit

I would recommend this community for a respite stay. We decided to use this place until we were able to move into another community. The experience was fine. It wasn't as nice but okay. The meals and activities were suitable for a short stay.

Brookdale

I am having a wonderful experience with Brookdale. The staff are very friendly, caring and professional. They really go above and beyond to make you feel like family. There are activities that have something for everyone.

Tour Went Well

I had a pretty good tour of this community. Everyone was friendly, and kind. The community looked nice, and clean. After looking at other communities, I found one that was able to accommodate my mother, and our needs better. Overall our tour went well, but this wasn't the facility for us.

Watch out! Poor experience!

Watch out, they lure you in with "deals" at this facility. My experience left me feeling like all they were looking to do was make their number for 2016 at the expense of my parents. Called and emailed facility director questioning "community fee" which I was not told about up front. It took 11 days to get a response; excuse was cell phone was broken and didn't see my email? This was after being told she could be reached anytime on her cell. They called constantly prior to a potential move-in, and then left you hanging once I began questioning the lease agreement. Did not go with this facility and do not recommend.

Terrible first week

We have had a lot of problems with the initial move in process. The management at Brookdale Farmington Hills does not seem to be organized and on top of things. I have had to advocate for my mother to get the apartment cleaned on time, track down the schedule for the meals (which was supposed to be posted in her apartment), get the bathtub cut out (which was done the week after she moved in instead of before). Also, she was not told where the button was that she is supposed to press in the morning before 10 am so she was not pressing it and no one checked on her as they are supposed to do. The staff did not show up to shower her on her first time scheduled. She was to be escorted to meals for her first 3 days and they did not show up until I called them on it. It seems I have been doing management's job all week! I would rate them a D for this first week. The only reason it is not an F is because the food is good.

Pleasant Place for Seniors

Everything needed is provided. Friendly atmosphere. Apartments are roomy and well planned. No stairs. Transportation provided. However, downside, structure is old and outdated. Floors are creaky, carpet is worn and needs cleaning. Communication between staff and resident needs could be improved.

Very nice community. Apartments were nice and my mom really liked the screened in porch. This is the community my mom has chosen and I'm sure she will be very happy there.

Loved this place

I liked the place and the staff was nice.

Caring staff

The staff is great here, but the facility needs to be updated. They need to do some maintenance on the place. The food is not very good either. I think this would be a good place if they would work on it because the staff is very caring.

For the most part we are very happy. The grounds needs some care and there have been problems with getting meals served and not enough food. There have been times when maintence and others have been serving coffee. But overall we are happy

a little smelly and run down.

needs repairs

The staff is great. The food is pretty awful and I have eaten there with my Dad on many occasions. Exterior of building needs help. Gutters falling off and screens need repair. We have been asking for repair for 6 months .Also hose leaks outside Dad's apartment and completely froze his porch with 4-5 inches of ice. Cute apartment but in disrepair.

The people make it great

Overall it's been a good fit for my loved one. The bad: 1) The property is somewhat shabby. After years of neglect the new manager is working hard to fix things up, but there is still lots to do. The challenge is the single floor, sprawling layout, which means a lot of grounds and building upkeep. 2) Rent increases have been hefty the past few years, probably due to the costs they're incurring to fix the place up. 3) Visitor parking is very limited. Residents often park right by the front door and may not move their cars for days at a time. Meanwhile, visitors will be double parked or park in the fire lanes. 4) There is a beautiful courtyard in the center of the facility that no one uses. The concrete leading out to it is uneven, making it hazardous, and there is no automatic door opener, making the doors too heavy for many of the elderly residents to open. The good: 1) Most important, the staff is friendly, caring and dedicated. I can't say enough good things about them. There is very little turnover, which speaks volumes. 2) The apartments are cute, roomy and each has its own screened in patio.

Very nice looking place!

We visited this community while looking into care options for a loved one. We thought The Grand Court was a very nice looking place! It had a nice layout, the staff was friendly, and the amenities were great!

Nice place

Overall they do a good job at The Grand Court, things seem to be going well there for my loved one. I like the look of the rooms, and the staff are friendly and seem to take good care of the residents. My loved one says they could do a bit better with the food, however.

I visited several facilities and found this to have the friendliest staff and the most current residents that loved living there. We had several residents that said welcome home to us .

What I was looking for

Out of all the facilities I have toured, I loved this one the most. It would be my number one choice. I liked the layout. The overall look was what I was looking for. The apartments were like real apartments. I like the best that there was a little spot outside the door of the apartment that my mom could turn into a garden. That's what I loved the most.

Incredibly friendly people!

Things have gone very well The Grand Court of Farmington Hills so far! It's a nice looking, well kept place and everyone has been very very friendly! Since the moment we set foot in the building on our first tour we've seen nothing but smiling faces on the staff, and they're always happy to help! I would definitely recommend them, it's been a great experience.

Has assisted living Apartme...

Has assisted living Apartments Allows pets

Homey Court!

Mom really likes the apartment, there is a screened porch, overlooking a court yard. I think there are a lot of activities! The people are good and friendly. It’s a very unique – one of a kind. It’s very cozy and homey environment. It should be called homey court. My mom loves it, but she does not care for the food.

Liked the facility. It has...

Liked the facility. It has the same layout as her previous apartment. BUT could be a long walk to the dining facility and would need quite a bit of furniture. No medicaid waver. Also requires 60 day move out notice even upon death plus a one month community fee

My loved one has been here for a shor...

My loved one has been here for a short while. She hasn't taken advantage of the activities yet, so that really doesn't apply yet. However, the communication with the staff is good, being that I live in a different location. We chose this place primarily because of the layout of the facility, and the location.

This facility was nice but ...

This facility was nice but too large for my sister. They accepted her but we felt her needs could not be met being far from everything which was why Oakmont could not keep her. The price was reasonable.

Needs Some TLC

For the most part it's going well. It's been a smooth transition and they've been nice and supportive. Right from the get go it was clear that they were having some management problems. It was like a revolving door of people coming and going. That was a little bit frustrating. Many things were not happening that we thought should be happening. The facility itself, especially the exterior, has really been let go. Nothing has been trimmed, no weeds have been pulled. Branches were hanging low so that people in wheelchairs had to duck. We reported it and nothing happened. After the 4th or 5th time they finally trimmed the specific trees that were in my mother's path but they didn't do anything with the rest.

They have a new manager now and they're working on painting and replacing gutters. It's an older property and we were aware of that. Inside they've been very responsive in taking care of my mother's needs.

They Raised The Rent Too High

I had my sister there but she moved out because they raised her rent by $250 a month. That's pretty drastic, especially when you're someone who's living off of social security. They lure you in with a really low rate for a year and then they slam you after that. There have been other people that have moved out too. One of them lived in the same complex as my sister now. I don't have a very high opinion of that place.

Lots of Activities, Food Service Could Be Better

I'm uncertain on the value. We haven't been here long enough for that and I don't employ any of the care services. There seem to be a lot of activities. We've got a full schedule every day of the week. There is always something going on. Today there is a trip, arm chair exercises, bingo, a social gathering and games. The food service is not all it could be. The food is fine but the service is mixed.

Nothing I Don't Like!

The deal that they offered us - I couldn't pass it up. The gave us $1000 off a month for 18 months when we signed my mom up. It's well worth it! I can't say that there is anything I don't like about them. Every question I've had for them, they've answered. They've been extremely helpful. I had to move my mom out of her house becuase she was in severe depression, quit paying her bills, and her money was just disappearing. Now that she's in there she's a totally different person. She loves it! Her apartment layout is great. There is a lot of storage area.

Facility too tired

Facility too tired

first choice

first choice

Sounds wonderful; I am keeping this o...

Sounds wonderful; I am keeping this one in mind for MY mother, when the time comes.

people very friendly,full kitchen, no...

people very friendly,full kitchen, not very big entrance, not elegant

Brookdale Farmington Hills is the premiere independent living and assisted living community in Farmington Hills, Michigan. Located near Detroit, we offer the best of small town living and big city convenience. Farmington Hills is consistently ranked one of the safest cities in the nation and our vibrant downtown area boasts several charming boutiques, a vintage theater, art galleries, public parks, and an abundance of fine dining.

Brookdale Farmington Hills is a warm and welcoming community that will feel like home from your first day with us. We encourage residents to be involved and active in our community through our fun activities, restaurant-style dining and comfortable lounge areas. You are sure to develop lasting friendships here, with other residents as well as with our caring and dedicated staff.

Residents in our assisted living community enjoy highly personalized care from a staff available around the clock. We are proud of the deep relationships we have built with local medical professionals to provide the highest quality of comprehensive care. Residents in both of independent living and assisted living communities enjoy a vast array of services and amenities including

An on-site library, game room and arts and craft center
Concierge services
Fitness and wellness programs
Full dining services in our stunning dining room
Personal housekeeping services