Brookdale Bakersfield - Bakersfield, CA

Brookdale Bakersfield - Bakersfield, CA has yet not published prices.

Mom is settling in

My mom is in this community and it is nice, The staff is wonderful and very helpful. She has a cute studio apartment and housekeeping will do daily tidy ups and then will clean 1x a week and will do her laundry and linens. She likes the food you order from a menu and they have lots of options. The outside area is nice in the front and I'll take mom on a walk around the building but that is where everyone smokes. I would recommend this place.

A tour for care

We toured this community for a place for me to call home. I liked the friendly staff who were helpful. They have a clean community and I liked the variety of rooms. I would recommend a tour to others.

Honest, Upfront Talk by Brookdale Bakersfield

It was a complicated process trying to find an assisted living facility for my father, even with the assist of A Place For Mom. It became clear that getting a honest out of pocket cost for each place was daunting because it was like comparing apples to oranges. And many facilities felt like I was interfacing with a used car sales person, each company had different methods of charges, others would only give you the base price with little insight into specific services. But [Removed] seemed honest, she was upfront on cost and made the process much easier to understand. She even provided insight into Brookdale pricing verse industry competitors without naming companies. Then it was easier to categorize pricing strategy with others, and compare with Brookdale. [Removed] made it clear what our upfront and monthly costs would be. The other important factors like cleanliness, friendliness of staff, type of care available and activities were much easier to compare without industry knowledge. So dad has been with Brookdale Bakersfield for 2 months, and he likes it there. I think my brother and I feel like we made the right choice.

Facility does offer respite care. Require doctor's authorization prior to setting a date range for the care. Cost is reasonable.

Nice community but pricey

I toured this community when looking for myself and it was very nice. I didn't move in because the cost was too high once all the additional charges were added.

Nice community

My wife and I chose this community for my mother because it's clean and the staff is friendly. They offer activities and even a shuttle service so the residents can travel outside of the community. I haven't tried the food personally but it looks nice when I visit.

DO NOT PUT YOUR LOVED ONE IN THIS FACILITY

Don't put your parent here! My parent lives here and it is horrible! There were roaches in the apartment and they didn't address the issue. They charge for services they did not provide. The washers and dryers are always broken but they do not put out of order signs on them because they do not want prospective residents to see they are broken. They frequently run out of entrees for meals so instead of a real dinner or lunch residents get sandwiches. They sell you on transportation to doctor appointments but it is so hard to coordinate with their schedule that they have to schedule them for you and they charge you for it. If you love your parent DO NOT put them in this place!

Mother lived here...

My mother is no longer living at the Brookdale Bakersfield but when she was, they took good care of her. I only was only able to visit her once. I didn't like that the doctor would only check on her once a week. The staff was all attentive but it seemed like they could use some help. Overall they took good care of her while she was there, but could use some improvements.

Worth looking at!!

I liked the tour we took of this community. The people we met were nice and very informative. The community was clean and the menu looked good.

Toured The Community

They were a very nice community to tour. The residents and staff all seemed friendly. After touring, we found that financially they did not offer the best deal. It was an informative tour.

Brookdale Bakersfield is an excellent community!!!

This community was lovely, however it was out of our price range. The staff were nice and friendly. The community was clean and I noticed nothing but activities going on and available.

Going much better than expected although it's expensive!

My Grandmother has been at Brookdale for some time now and things have gone much better than I though t it would go. She is enjoying the church services with her new found friends and even plays volley ball along with many other activities. One thing that is certainly concerning is the cost of the community although I know they are taking very good care of her. The staff are all very nice and friendly. The place is always clean. I'd recommend!

staff and facility

I was a companion care worker. The staff was very friendly and helpful in the two years I was there. They are professional and caring about there residents . I would place a loved one there . Administration works very closely with staff to ensure the best care for your loved one. They have outings and special events you can enjoy also. Activities are daily I would suggest to take a look you will be impressed .

We toured here, and thought it was really nice.

We toured here, and thought it was really nice. We were going to move here, unfortunately we never made it. They were very gracious in working with us, and we would have liked to have had the chance to experience the community.

My Mother Is Happy

Everything about the Brookdale Bakersfield place is just really good in my opinion. My loved one is really happy with the facility and with what she is getting over there. I think everything is highly rated.

Excellent Food; Cleanliness Needs Improvement

The food was excellent, the service was good as well. What they could improve is they could clean the sheets more often, it smells awful. I have never seen anything like it before, and they only vacuum once a week. It should be at least twice a week. Everything else was good. though, the aides were nice.

very communicative

If there was a 6 on friendliness I would give Brookdale Bakersfield a 6. They keep her very busy there. The nurses and the way she receives her meds is excellent. I would give the nurses a pat on the back for their care. They are very communicative with us which helps a lot. It has been an all around good experience here.

going really well

Things are going really well at Brookdale Bakersfield. The staff are really good. There is nurse is there and they are taking care of mom really well. They take care of the medication she needs and are very helpful and attentive. Mom had to go to the emergency room recently and the staff checked on her quite a bit. I am really happy with this facility.

A "great" place for mom

My mother was very angry and apprehensive with the idea that my sisters and I wanted to move her to assisted living seven months after our father had died. Our mother needs 24/7 care because of serious memory issues. Out of the three of us sisters, only one of us could stay with her the majority of the time and this sister was getting extremely burnt out. After visiting Brookdale Bakersfield several times with mom at our side, she started softening about the idea of moving. Everyone, from the director to the staff, were so friendly and made mom feel so at home and welcomed. It is a beautiful facility with so much to do on a daily basis and they allow pets which was a real plus for her. She was very impressed and actually became excited to make the change. She has been there a week now. There is only one thing that concerns us and maybe its because she is still new. They have forgotten to come to her room a few times to take her to dinner. She doesn't have the memory to take herself. We are talking to the staff regarding this issue and are hoping it is just a small glitch and will get resolved quickly. Other than this one issue, we are very happy and excited that our mother can live out her last years peacefully in a clean, caring and safe environment. Thank you "A Place For Mom" for helping us find 'a place for mom'.

6618050538

Dad is really happy at Brookdale Bakerfield and we are too. It was an obvious choice out of all the other places we looked at. Dad is actually even getting involved in activities there. Any time I have had conversations with Pam, the director, she has been really helpful. We are just really happy with this facility. It has been a really good experience.

Extremely Helpful Staff

They were very helpful when we were moving in to the facility. They have been very supportive. We have had some issues with my dad, him not wanting to be there and complaining and saying things about the place, and whenever we bring it to their attention they are just really helpful in dealing with it.

I could live here!!!

We checked out several senior assisted living communities in Bakersfield. Brookdale (was Emeritus) was our choice because it has a warm, friendly, quite, and relaxing atmosphere. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The dining room is like being at a beautiful restaurant with delicious food.
The rooms are fine. The decor is fine. The activities room and movie room are nice. The upstairs loft overlooks the dining room and is set up as a game/ reading area. There is also a separate library.
What we also noticed is the residents. . . .they were HAPPY!!! Happy enough to have smiles on their faces and a good sense of humor.
Brookdale was the best fit for our dad and. . . .even the best priced!!!
He's been there two weeks now and says he is SO happy and has made so many friends!!! This is wonderful news for us to hear because he has never lived in an apartment before and we weren't sure how he'd make the adjustment. But the delicious food and good hearted staff and friendly
neighbors has made the adjustment easy for him.

pleased

One area where the could improve would be to communicate with the families a little better during the move in process. It was easy to get a hold of them when we were checking them out, but not as much once we signed up and moved in.

Other than that everything was pretty good and we have generally been well pleased with Brookdale Bakersfield.

pretty good

Overall Brookdale Bakersfield is pretty good. My mother does complain a little bit about the food there. They have had a little bit of a turnover with staff recently with a new director, so I am hoping there will be some changes in the quality of the food they provide at their meals. We are also trying to work out a few kinks with the billing. Other than that everything is great. All the staff is extremely friendly and helpful, and mom has really got in well with the other residents.

A Place for Mom directed us to Brookdale. The staff is so caring and the facility is lovely. I couldn't be more pleased.

I would happily recommend Brookdale Bakersfield

The community is really well taken care for very friendly staff, nice common areas. This facility is beautiful. It's clean and bright, the staff is friendly as are the residents. It's great. Mom gets bored because she is coming from a home to a room and lost some independence but overall the staff care and she does participate in some activities. I would happily recommend Brookdale Bakersfield

The rooms are really opening and have a bunch of space. Its not a closed in facility. The patients seemed really happy here. I dont really have any complaints.

Respite care

My father stayed here for two weeks ( respite ) and said it was 50/50 for him. His biggest complaint was that when he pressed the button for service, it would take up to 2 hours at times for someone to respond. Not good if you had an emergency.
Clean, modern facilities and courteous staff. Once a caregiver arrived the service was excellent.

The "memory care" unit is horribly understaffed and a dangerous place for people to live. The director, Ronnette "Ronnie" Lelfore, is dishonest and will straight up ignore your phone calls if you want information about your loved one.

There are smaller residences called "board and care" facilities that have a much better patient to caregiver ratio and actually care about their residents (I wish I had known these existed earlier).

The staff at Emeritus provides the bare minimum of what is required by law, and will treat your family member as if their safety and comfort means nothing. There is a severe lack of concern for administering medications at the correct timing intervals, helping family members to reduce fall risk for residents, and ensuring that residents are fed a proper diet. Please take your money and your loved one elsewhere.

very friendly staff, communication could improve

The staff at Emeritus at Bakersfield is outstandingly friendly!

Communication between here and at home could be improved. When i am visiting (as I am at this time) I am always able to ask questions and get information. When I am at home, however, it is a little harder to get information, and there have been a few times when I was told I would receive a call back and did not.

Dissatisifed with Emeritus

Our mother, Virginia Radovich, has been a resident of the Emeritus in Bakersfield for one year. Our mother suffers from Macular Degeneration. When we first spoke to the management, we were assured our mother would receive personal assistance in every day activities, as well as assistance in her involvement with craft activities. This never happened. What happened was our mother sitting in her room alone, confused and depressed. The only activity the employees made sure was her going to meals and receiving her medications. As a family, we tried to get her involved in the calendared activities, only to find out that about 50% of them were cancelled by the "Life Enrichment Director." We then requested (through medical staff) one of the aides to spend one hour a day with our mother, taking her for walks, talking with her, reading to her. We are more than willing to cover the cost of this special attention. I was assured that this would be done, however, when I called to confirm at one time, I was told it had happened right after lunch. To my surprise, my mother had been with me to an appt. before lunch and was still in my vehicle, and in fact, it was a lie. After about a month, we cancelled this request. I asked for a bill to be sent to me, and I was told that there was no charge, convincing us that it never happened no matter what we were told. There are many lonely, isolated people at Emeritus. I realize that in the corporate America world, if it looks good on paper, it's good. However, actual application with human beings is what tells the tale. I see no practical application with the residents of Emeritus.

Sam Pollock

As mentioned in the previous response, we are sorry to hear that you, your family, and your loved one’s experience with us at Bakersfield didn’t meet your expectations. We are confused by your review as we have been in close contact with both Scott and Rebecca, and both have expressed their satisfaction with the care we provided. We do plan a diverse array of activities for all of our seniors; however these activities are not mandatory. Residents may spend their days as they please. We would never force a resident to join an activity. We also had someone taking your mother for daily walks at no charge, however, Rebecca told us that we no longer needed to provide this service for your mother.
Our records indicate that we have spoken with both Scott and Rebecca regarding your mother’s dietary restrictions and unfortunately we could not meet those restrictions at her level of care. The records also indicate that we notified her physician of this. We assure you that we do consider all of our resident’s needs, and we work diligently to meet each one of them.
We are troubled by your comments regarding the cleanliness of your mother as we have no incidences on file matching this description. We take the cleanliness and care of our residents seriously, and had we known this was an issue, we would have worked with your family and your mother to ensure that this would not happen again.
We apologize that you felt your mother was unsafe with us, and we invite you to reach out to our Executive Director to address these issues, and you can also reach out to our Ethics First Program at www.emeritus.com/ethics to voice your concerns. We are sorry to have your mother move out, and we wish you, your mother, and the rest of your family the best in her continued care.

Food for Thought

My mother was moved to Emeritus due to their favorable reports to us (her four children) that she would be able to join in activities even w/ her very poor eye sight....this has not happened. We have asked for extra help w/: her diet...keeping her diet lo sodium due to swelling; that request was denied. We found it disturbing that in an Assisted Living Facility special dietary needs could not be considered...even if they were vital to the patient's health and we'll being. We asked if someone could walk w/ our mother for a half hour each day around the facility. We were told it would happen...it never did. My mother has a button around her neck like a Life Alert and it is to be used if she needs to call down to the desk for emergency or a need. I was with her one evening, she had locked hers,ef out of her room. We both pushed the button numerous times trying to get help to get into her room. Finally we found her key, got into her apt. And I called the front desk to ask if we had not used the call button correctly or possibly the battery was dead. I asked someone to take a look at it. That didn't happen. She had no way to get help if she could not get to her land line phone.
My mother came to my niece's for a 3 day visit, during which time my niece bathed her and to her shock my mom (her grandmother) had not been getting her backside clean. It took some soaking and cleaning to remedy the problem.
Our hope was that someone would check her every once in awhile due to her health issues and sight problems.
My sister began to call daily to have someone remind our mother about the activities planned for the day. The front desk said they had told mom but then many times the activities were cancelled. This left my mom very disappointed so many times as she doesn't interact much and the activities were a great way for her to interact but about half the time, the activity was cancelled. Our brother called the main headquarters to discuss this problem and he was told that no activities had been cancelled....but that was not accurate.
We have experienced very few of the "promises" made when the family came to look at Emeritus and see if it was a good fit for our mother w/ her sight restrictions, etc.
I would like for you to get a review from my two sisters and my brother. We each have similar complaints and disappointments w/ Emeritus and we each have our own experiences.
Consequently we are moving our mother out of Emeritus on August 15. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Lynn Trombetta [removed]. Thank you for the opportunity to share my/our experience w/ Emeritus. I had also called to express my concerns to A Place For Mom a few weeks ago....

Sam Pollock

Lynn, we are sorry to hear that you, your family, and your loved one’s experience with us didn’t meet your expectations. However, we are confused by your review as we have been in close contact with both Scott and Rebecca, and both have expressed their satisfaction with the care we provided. We do plan a diverse array of activities for all of our seniors; however these activities are not mandatory. Residents may spend their days as they please. We would never force a resident to join an activity. We also had someone taking your mother for daily walks at no charge. However, Rebecca told us that we no longer needed to provide this service for your mother.

Not Enough Caregivers

One, I didn't like that it was seven patients to a caregiver. I thought that was too much. Then the gal kept talking about if they fall, she made it seem like people were just wandering around the halls and falling all the time. My husband noticed not as clean as he thought it should be, he didn't like the outside grounds as much.

This facility is beautiful....

Really Good Facility!

I went and checked them out and my mothers in there now. Every time I've been up there it's been great. They do a really good job. The food is good, the facility is good, and the room that my mother got is good. It's in a nice location. The people up there all seem to have smiles on their faces. They come in and take care of my mom when she wants. We evaluated several different places and they were pretty much one most expensive. It's on the high end of affordability for us but it's a really good place.

They check on her all the time but don't have 24 hour RN's

The activities are a problem because mother just swears that there's no activities and the staff swears that she's going to activities but I don't know what is true. I do see lots of notifications for activities, the ones I see in progress there may be 4 or 5 people there; they do encourage her to participate and be active and they're very good about coming to get her and escorting her to meals and they come into her room to talk to her and check on her, and check on her frequently. We liked the friendliness of the staff, the appearance, when we're here there are people checking in on her all the time and that's really important. For the most part the care has been handled well, unfortunately I'm 2 hours away so I don't get to see her too often and we aren't really sure that she's going to the activities. You really have to be specific though, we were told they had 24 hour nursing and thought that meant RN nursing, but they have an RN on call at night and LVN's during the day so we're looking for a facility that has RN's full time.

Really nice. Felt like a p...

Really nice. Felt like a place my mom would be safe and happy.

This facility was beautiful...

This facility was beautiful. I think my mom has become overwhelmed with the amount of other clients onsite.

I can't say enough wonderful things ...

I can't say enough wonderful things about the Christine Chisholm and Kathy Daniels. They went out of their way to assist me in every aspect of coordinating the possible move of my mother to their beautiful facility. I am forever grateful for there kindness, professionalism, understanding and all the help they gave me. My cousin is also living in this facility and he and his wife feel the same way. Very caring staff with a hands on attitude with all the residents living there. Thank you, thank you.

Staff is very informative and helpful...

Staff is very informative and helpful...The place is lovely. We chose this one because the price was right and the let you do a two week trial stay.

Every staff member was friendly and u...

Every staff member was friendly and upbeat. The focus seemed to be on the senior to keep them safe (lifeline), comfortable (assigned caregiver) and healthy (meals, snacks and activities). Liked the idea that mom would not have to move if her level of care had to increase. Owners will even bring in Hospice if necessary. Rooms were light and airy. Residents seemed very comfortable in their surroundings. Preparations were under way for family night, where families joined the residents for dinner.

Liked this place very much; #1 on my ...

Liked this place very much; #1 on my list. Clean, bright, no smells, everyone seemed happy to live AND work there. Fair prices with no move in fees.

Very nice large facility; friendly st...

Very nice large facility; friendly staff and residents. Rooms around a square so one would not get lost easily. Lovely open vaulted dining room which could be viewed from second story.

Likes: Light and airy; friendly pr...

Likes: Light and airy; friendly professional-acting staff; my mom liked food; easy transition to various levels of assisted living - don't have to change apts. Dislikes: not close, but closer than Glenwood; central courtyard is kind of drab but mother thought it was pretty; closets size for studio small.

Brookdale Bakersfield is a premiere assisted living and memory care community in Bakersfield, California. Our community has an ideal location in a quiet, residential area of Bakersfield near shopping, dining, the downtown area, The Shops at Riverwalk and we are just minutes from Mercy Southwest Hospital and Mercy Downtown Hospital. Bakersfield is a large city that offers residents numerous recreational and cultural opportunities as well as easy access to health care and educational resources.

As one of the premiere senior living communities in the region, Brookdale Bakersfield offers quality, personalized assisted living and dementia care. Our residents come first in everything we do. Brookdale Bakersfield has a compassionate staff that is passionate about senior care and works to create lasting relationships with each resident, getting to know their past stories and future goals on a personal level.

We offer a range of services and amenities that sets us apart from traditional senior living communities and helps residents to thrive. They include:

Housekeeping and trash service
Laundry service
Scheduled transportation
Concierge services including pet care, running errands and room service
A bustling and dynamic activities calendar
Community clubs and groups to encourage residents to engage with other who have similar interests