Avalon Memory Care - McKinney - McKinney, TX

When Avalon started with one home in Plano in 1995 we never anticipated there would be a need for a location further north. With the explosion of growth occurring in the outlying suburbs more calls have come from these areas necessitating a need for quality care without the long commute. Avalon is pleased to announce its 14th location! Being the largest provider of Alzheimer/dementia care in the Metroplex, we will continue to provide for the highest quality of care for our residents. We will customize a care plan that benefits your loved one on an individual basis.

A great decision!

Avalon has really been there for my family. The food is homemade. The staff is present and attentive. The director showed up to the hospital when my dad was sick (unrelated to Avalon) and stayed until all was well. My father does well here. It is low stress and relaxed. It does not feel institutionalized or like a mental ward. I am very pleased

Jon Seib

Thank you for leaving the kind review. My father started Avalon in 1995 to provide a home or home-like environment for this population as opposed to the institutional environment that you discussed in your review. At the end of the day we can provide a gorgeous environment but it is our staff that makes us special. Take Care.

Great memory care

Things have gone very well at Avalon Memory Care. The staff here really know and understand how to handle residents with Alzheimer's disease or memory issues. They're very calm and patient, and know how to redirect them and calm them down if they start to have an issue. The facility itself is beautiful and clean, and the staff are all very friendly and personable and know me by name!

Jon Seib

I love our McKinney location. Sitting on two acres, this ranch style home affords our residents the ability to reside in a home setting and receive any and all assistance they need by our long term staff members. It is refreshing to read this review. Take Care.

I am so Greatful

I am so Greatful to find a facility that is able to deal with the
the special needs of my dad. After moving him into a facility, he became combative. So we had to find another facility that specialized in combativeness. I was very fortunate to find Avalon Memory care, who has accepted my dad as a resident. This is a professional home that really cares for its patients, and they have been extremely helpful with our families issues. I would recommend Avalon Memory Care to anyone who is having difficulty placing their loved ones.

Jon Seib

A number of our residents across the Metroplex suffer from the devastating affects of this disease(i.e. confusion, agitation, aggression, suspicious thoughts, paranoia, delusions, hallucinations etc). It is amazing to me that if one experiences these manifestations that other places are so willing to kick them to a psych unit or not even accept them to begin with. Almost 100% of the time our residents via a non-confrontational approach in a friendly environment end up doing just fine with us. Does it mean that there are no agitated moments? No. Dementia or no dementia we experience different moods. It is how we deal with these moments that make us special.

The good, the bad, and the not-so-ugly.

My aunt stayed her last few months at Avalon. It's a beautiful home, and the staff was friendly, although their accents were so strong that it made communication sometimes difficult. The two biggest issues I had were that it was not really wheelchair friendly, and that because of her immobility, she was pretty much just left sitting in a chair in a corner by herself ALL the time. I also think that it would have been more appropriate for them to have two staffers on hand at night. She had sores on her backside, possibly from her sitting in one place a lot. However, on the plus side, It did seem that most of the residence (who were still mobile) fared well. The place was kept very clean, the residents ate at a table "family style", were given home cooked meals, occasional snacks (ice cream!) and didn't force my aunt to eat pureed food like other facilities. They took their time and helped her to eat real food, and would allow her to drink unthickened drinks with supervision.

Jon Seib

Certainly we can make as many modifications as we can but we will never be the large institutional environment that allows for every bathroom and doorway to allow for ease of access. With that being said I think you will agree that our staff is the most caring around. Another thing that we, at Avalon, take pride in is being accessible. I'm sure we had a care plan meeting together and would like to have hoped that had you had any issues at the time that we would have had the opportunity to be informed rather than a review left months afterwards expressing some dissatisfaction. With that being said, I wish you and your family the very best.

Mom

A place for mom

Jon Seib

Thank you for taking the time to rate our location in McKinney.

Best fit for our situation

We chose Avalon because of its location; it made it very convenient for our family. It provides a much more open feel to it and was just the best fit for our situation. We are very pleased with our choice and would recommend it to anyone.

Jon Seib

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. It certainly is nice to have a location that not only provides excellent care in a safe and secure environment but is also so close to make it as convenient as possible to visit. Wish you the best.

This RCH was nice. "Out in the countr...

This RCH was nice. "Out in the country" feeling. Liked the director a lot; was easy to talk to. His facility was nice but seemed a bit crowded. Lots of patients in the smallish living room; one a hospice patient. Some of the patients were roaming; many were quiet. There were a couple of men there-one a former car salesman. The facility seemed clean. Two African cooks in kitchen-very friendly. Large backyard area.

Jon Seib

Appreciate your feedback from touring our McKinney location. This sprawling ranch-style home sitting on around 2 acres is ideal for folk afflicted with a short term memory loss. It is a blessing to remain at or near our licensed bed count by the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services. I think this speaks to the quality of the location as well as the care that is provided. Take care.