AutumnGrove Cottage in the Heights - Houston, TX

Not a good experience

Our experience with AutumnGrove unfortunately has not been a good one. We had high hopes for this place, I was very impressed by how nice looking and clean everything was during the tour, but the care did not end up living up to those standards. I think the hearts of the care staff and the aides are in the right place and they were very friendly, but the care they provided was lacking in some areas. There was not a lot of attention to detail in the care and cleanliness, my loved one always looked slightly disheveled, and often had food stains on her clothes or a wet diaper. The biggest issue was that not long after we moved her in she fell multiple times, and the response from the staff and management really made it hard to trust them. We spoke to various levels of management about the issue and just got a lot of excuses, and we were told "Well, falls are just going to happen." more than once. The community also just lacked the activities and sense of engagement we were hoping for. They do not have many activities, and often the residents just nap through them if they are participating. It's really just been a disappointing experience in general.

The food is average at best

They are doing a great job. It's clean, and the staff is friendly.Everyone here is accommodating and very nice. I think that from what I've been told they may need to tinker with the cooks' menus.The staff is friendly. The nursing staff is capable and easy to talk to.

Larger solution to a home e...

Larger solution to a home environment. Layout very similar to a home. Living room, kitchen and two hallways each with large private bathrooms. The staff is caring and friendly and the outside porch is always inviting for the residents.

The level of care was not a...

The level of care was not appropriate for my Mom at this time.

No interaction for the people who really needed it

The particular cottage we were at, and I've been told its not that way at other cottages, but at this one there was an overall lack of interaction with my loved one, almost bordering on negligence. They kept her save, she wasn't falling or anything, but i'd say 99% of the time I walked in she was by herself in the corner, drooling. The food was ridiculous, they were serving very cheap, out of the box kind of food, even though I was told they would get home cooked meals and go shopping, which they did, but they came back with frozen food. There were some staff members that were good but the management that was supposed to be there was never on site and they seemed to have a little immaturity to them. They didn't seem willing to take responsibility and would look at me like a deer in the headlights when I would ask them a question. My loved one really regressed a lot when she was there because she didn't have the interaction.

The AutumnGrove Cottage at our Heights location is not only unique in Alzheimer’s care, but also unique in its exterior design in comparison to our other cottages. In order for this cottage to blend in with the lovely atmosphere of the old town feel of The Heights, this cottage was designed with a Victorian feel complete with gingerbread adornments and sitting on piers like the other homes in the neighborhood.

AutumnGrove Cottage is a sixteen bedroom, private-pay, assisted living home specializing in care for senior adults with Alzheimer's disease and other dementia-related illnesses. AutumnGrove Cottage offers the smoothest transition from one's own home to a home that offers assistance with the activities of daily living. We make it possible for residents to enjoy the benefits of 24/7 care in a familiar, homelike environment.

AutumnGrove Cottage is to the assisted living industry what a bed and breakfast is to the hotel industry. It is smaller, more "home-like" in design and appearance. With only sixteen residents, the staff, residents and families get to know each other in a very personal and intimate way.