Autumn Meadows V and VI - Gambrills, MD

Awful Place

The staff is very unprofessional and rude. There are no specialized meals for the residents that need special diets, no activities just sit and watch tv....never put your love one in this facility.

Highly Satisfied with Autumn Meadows

I was very impressed with Autumn Meadows the moment I first visited their facility on Defense Highway. It is a homestyle environment and very peaceful. I came unannounced on a Saturday mid-afternoon. It is very spacious and tucked in front of a nicely wooded lot. The food they prepare there is from scratch and the facility only houses 14 residents to include my Dad who was a recent introduction to their community after he was discharged from the Crofton Convalescence Center when his rehab therapy ended. Unfortunately my Dad is still grieving the death of my Mother last May and his decline was rapid to the point where he could not live alone and be able to take care of himself. When he was at Crofton Convalescence he was very uptight because it has the appearance of a hospital and was a very chaotic environment. He is still a bit uneasy but the peace and quiet and intimacy of considerably reduced population has been a huge improvement. He has a private room with the bathroom just steps away in the hallway and he has a nice forest view.

Like most of the residents at Autumn Meadows he would prefer to be at home. But I am hoping the cheery staff and homemade food and the reduced chaotic environment will benefit him. The Staff are very understanding of his situation and have been taking great strides to amalgamate him into their tranquil lifestyle. Physicians are on hand through a minor surcharge to routinely assess the residents. Susan Masters and Jennifer Peterein are the administrators, the former being the owner of this enterprise. They were very willing to take my Dad into their fold and work with his dementia issues whereas the staff were very inconsistent at the Crofton Convalescence Center and rude with my Dad at times that I personally witnessed. I am hoping this excellent environment will continue to benefit him. I was very lucky to get my Dad enrolled with them. I understand there is a bit of a waiting list. If Autumn Meadows is full there is always the Waugh Chapel Genesis facility which took great care of my Mom for the last two weeks of her life.

However, there is a huge difference between both facilities. The cost factors alone at the Waugh Chapel location are very steep but they provide excellent care. My Mom's cost would have been about 12K a month if she had not passed away even though she had robust insurance from her PG County Schools benefits. Autumn Meadows's monthly charges range from 2 to 3 grand depending on the specific care each resident requires. They are a non-profit.

Both Susan and Jennifer have been been willing to explore a variety of actions to make my Dad feel welcome and address his issues. Both Susan and Jennifer have personally taken the responsibility to make sure each resident is fulfilled on a case by case standard. Susan has taken on patients from other facilities and has the final decision on who may reside at her facilities even if her decisions are contrary to conventional medical attitudes. They appear to take every measure to retain their residents in a very thoughtful and willing way. She has managed to become affiliated with a broad map of medical services dedicated to her facilities that again do not involve extreme charges. I highly recommend their services even if my Dad ends up not being in the realm of what they can offer. Lastly, there is a dedicated nurse who actually lives at the facility along with the residents.

They take the worry away.

I visited multiple facilities to try an place my mom. She is suffering from congestive heart failure so Autumn Meadows was not on the radar. I am glad I parted ways with the social worker and made some tough decisions on my own. I can honestly say everything possible is being done at Autumn Meadows to give mom the best quality of life one could ever ask for under the circumstances. Hospitals, rehab facilities and nursing homes could learn a thing or two from these people. They are kind, dedicated and hard working, from the staff at the facility to the administrative office.

Uncle John really has a perfect home!

Visited numerous facilities trying to find the "right" place for family member. THIS was it!!! The director, staff, location and peacefulness, not to mention really good food were hands down well above all the other competition. It really felt and has turned out to be "family." Clients are so well cared for and the furnishings were really good. Every member of the staff genuinely cares and it shows.

AM has been a wonderful home for Mom. Their manager is extremely helpful and she even directed us to a source of income assistance that we had not been aware of. The staff is kind and professional and the facility is always clean! It is truly a home away from home.

Nice place, overall

We used this facility for a time for my loved one, and overall I think they did a very good job. It was a nice, clean facility, and in general the staff were all very friendly and caring. However, they ended up hiring a caregiver that we had some issues with (she was too quick to call in an ambulance, which was becoming very costly), so we ended up moving my loved one to a different facility.

Really nice place. There ar...

Really nice place. There are currently 11 residents, although they can accommodate 15--all private rooms. Many sitting areas in the home, most with TV's and several outdoor patios. Well decorated with gently used furniture that has been well taken care of. Got a sense of a safe, clean and peaceful environment. The residents had just finished bingo and were settling in to watching TV or relaxing. My visit was not scheduled or expected--as the Director had said I could stop in at any time.

My mom loves it here

My mother loves living here. Everyone is so nice to her and myself when I visit. The staff went out of their way when my mom moved into the home. She had some trouble adjusting to a new setting, but the director provided my mom with her own aide the first 3 days to be with her and comfort her and introduce her to the other residents. This made me much more comfortable with leaving my mom in a new home.

PERFECT SETTING, BUT A LITTLE OUT OF ...

PERFECT SETTING, BUT A LITTLE OUT OF THE WAY FOR THE REST OF THE FAMILY. IF ALL ELSE FAILS THIS COULD BE THE ONE.

I would have given this place a highe...

I would have given this place a higher rating - even sight unseen - but unfortunately, no pets are allowed so this is likely a deal-breaker. I asm disappointed becasue it sounds wonderful and the price point is quite good. I liked the director very much.

Nice, clean, small. homey environment...

Nice, clean, small. homey environment. Good prices.

Lovely home like atmosphere, loved it...

Lovely home like atmosphere, loved it, our favorite was the better of the two. Loved everything about it. The Director was wonderful. House #2 was very nice also and looked like they had spare rooms. Sister in law didn't care for woman that took us on tour.

Clean, nice staff, residents compatible

Clean, nice staff, residents compatible

Manager did not confirm appt. I arri...

Manager did not confirm appt. I arrived and staff were very professional, courteous in giving me a tour of 1262. The facilities were beautifully maintained.

Autumn Meadows provides senior assisted living residents with all the comforts and warmth of a home, and catering to each individual need. Our homes offer dignified, independent lifestyles for our residents within a caring, safe, and comfortable environment. Autumn Meadows has four residential setting homes, which is an attractive option for seniors who need daily living assistance and not skilled nursing care. Daily living assistance include medication management, housekeeping, cooking, laundry and personal hygiene. Family members can rest assured, all of their loved one's needs are being met and cared for by professionally trained staff. Autumn Meadows has been providing this quality care for 30 years.