Autumn Hills - Bloomington, IN

Wonderful, caring staff.

My mother has lived at Autumn Hills for nearly three years and the care has generally been excellent. Because pay is so low for health care workers, there can be a fair amount of turnover, but the training for new hires is excellent. The activities department is wonderful, and there are many deeply caring staff throughout the facility.

Review of Autumn Hills

Autumn Hills was a clean community with friendly staff. The staff was knowledgeable and I enjoyed learning about not only the nursing services. but also about the activities and how they train their staff to interact with residents with Alzheimer's Disease. It gave me peace of mind knowing my mom could be cared for at one community until the end of life.

Review of Autumn Hills

My father cares for his mother who suffers with dementia. I brought him to tour here because they only care for clients who have dementia. We toured and learned how my grandmother's life story will help staff determine how best to care for her! The residents here seemed happy and well cared for and that made our family feel at ease.

run to any other place.

The only thing this place cares about is money not patients. there are not many good places to put your parents out there but this place is the worst. I don,t think they know a [Removed] thing about alzheimer's disease and don't care

Look Elsewhere

If your loved one needs assistance or general supervision, this is NOT the place for them. My mom would have been safer living in her home, alone. The staff has no interaction with the residents, the residents are on their own. Look elsewhere or allow your loved one to care for themselves, this is NOT the place for care.

There are pros and cons - Facility is better than many, but not as good as some. Depends on your loved one's needs.

My mother is a resident there. I have very mixed feelings about the place. It has a great location and when I first placed my mother there, the staff was amazing. My mother had been at several facilities and when I met Kyla and Susan I knew that this was the place. Kyla, who managed the administration end, was super compassionate and smart. She did an amazing job. With the head nurse, Susan, things were great. Unfortunately, they both left around the same time and the replacement individuals were not as exceptional. Most places are under staffed and employees are over worked. I find that this is true here as well despite the fact that patients pay so much to live there. The problem is the corporate model that puts the bulk of the funds into the hands of investors and not in the hands of underpaid/overworked employees and in patient care. I would love to see more activities for patients. While I think that the care is comperable to other places, the management, the head nurse, the food, and the activities are sub standard or entirely missing. So - it depends on what you are looking for. If your loved one is not going to handle activities anymore but the central location is good - you will like this facility. Many of the support staff are wonderful, but can only do so much with so many patients. If you want more activities and a head nurse that seems responsive to your concerns, this may not be the place for you. Having said that - many of the nursing staff are compassionate and caring. I rarely discuss anything with the head nurse - instead I work with other staff members who are helpful. Finally, I think it is important to remember that if you have a family member with dementia that requires a locked facility and can not handle the freedom of Bell Trace or Meadowood, Autumn Hills is a good facility and the best in the central location in Bloomington. I do think that the facility is over priced and the food is so awful that my mother hates eating it.

Lorene Bower

We regret to read about your mixed experience at Autumn Hills. The issues cited in this review are of deep concern to us. Family partnerships are an integral part of JEA’s Meaningful Moments philosophy of care and as a company we are committed to providing high-quality resident care. We would value the opportunity to learn more about your experience. Please contact our home office at [removed] to reach the Regional Director for Autumn Hills.

The Worst

My mother was a resident there. After a few month we pulled her out. The DON was never available for answers with regards to her care. The hallway always smelled of urine. The activities were awful. If you call seeing adults coloring in a dining room as an activity. I saw residence asking for help to no avail and no one paying any attention to them at all. There was one male nurse that seem to care. The others were rude and unconcerned about the residence. Aids instead of caring for the residence grouped either on their cell phone or acting like they were at a social event. The entire facility seemed under staffed and What I consider a hostile environment. For the amount of money we paid out of pocket for my mothers care , she would of been better serve in a kennel...

The management team is a joke. They never know what is going on. The staff always looks over worked and stressed out. My mother is in the back and receives no activities. I do not believe management cares. The director of nursing is never available. This place has gone down hill. For the money you spend, you do,not get the care that was promised to you when you signed the paperwork.

Not happy

The activities are a joke there, they really need a good activity director. My mother is in the very back and they never do any activities with her or the other ones back there, it is very depressing. I feel like management doesn't care. I never see the Director of Nursing, and the few times I have she never speaks, or smiles. She just sticks her nose up in the air. I think there is never enough staff, and many times I see the CNA's pushed to their limit. Saying something goes in one ear and out the other. I have talked to other family members and they say the the same thing. We don't say much due to the fact we are afraid our loved ones would be miss treated. The nurses are hands off and I feel like they don't want to do anything except pass meds. There is one nurse on the evening who is very cruel with her words and has no professional skills at all. [removed]. This place isn't the same since new management came on board. I can say though there are a few really good, caring, compassionate CNA's. There are 2 who I know are good with my mother, and there are a few not so good CNA's. I figured you find that every where you go. This place really would be great if they got a new director of nursing. The only other thing I can say is that the food is awful most of the time. They serve really cheap food, and not so impressed wih the one over the kitchen, she can be very rude. Very unprofessional.

Unprofessional and Uncaring

Very unprofessional, uncaring establishment. I had an appt with the social worker to fill out paper work for respite care. I showed up and the social worker was a no show. Instead, the receptionist talked to me to say she was there to help me instead but she didn't really know what Amanda and I spoke about and the reason of my visit. She said, "you just want resources" when the reason for my visit was to fill out paperwork. I already have all the literature from a previous visit.
After I left, I called the receptionist to tell her that just blowing off an appt with a client is not acceptable, specially since they are in the business of caring and dealing with people under a lot of stress. My voice was stressed and I was upset but I wasn't screaming. She said, I can't scream at her or she'll hang up the phone, then before I can respond she hang up the phone. Where's the compassion and the professionalism that one should expect from an institution like this? I can just imagine how they treat patients staying there who have dementia and can't speak for themselves. One would think that they would treat the family decently at least until the patient is in so one if left to wonder how bad they get after that.

I really liked this place.

I toured this community when I was looking into options. I really liked this place. They are strictly Alzheimer's care. The staff was really friendly, It was a really nice place. I would definitely consider it one of the better places.

Small Community, Specialized Care

It's a smaller community with more specialized care. They work one on one with the residents. When I call they always know what's going on with my dad and can tell me up to date news of things I need to know. He was in another place before and this is a much better experience. He's much happier there. It's nice and secure. From what the other place told me, they couldn't handle him and Autumn Hills is doing great with him so I don't see what the problems were.