Atria Hillsdale - San Mateo, CA

Mom was admitted to Atria Hillsdale on [date removed] weighing 90 pounds. After stabilizing to a new environment, she is happy, gained 20 lbs, recognizes Atria as her home, has made a second family, has a huge socialization network, and receives supreme care. The caregivers care for Mom and adapt their care to her needs. They listen to Mom, her family, and always provide the best care based on Mom's needs.
We're lucky to find Atria Hillsdale for Mom's home.

Great location. Clean, friendly staff. Beautiful memory care rooms, program and facility.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND

I WOULD NOT send anyone here. I have had a horrible experience with this community. When we first toured the area we thought that the place was lovely. We were happy with everything that we saw. The people that took care of us getting my loved one in were all wonderful. The place itself was beautiful, they have a lovely dining area for the residents, the rooms were nice, but what good is all that. The room that my loved one was in was beautiful and you would have to furnish it yourself which is alright. However, they would just let him lay there. They would also over medicate him and he was drooling. The social worker was there too, which was a blessing. When we tried to assist him to the bathroom his legs were like rubber. He had to use a walker to get himself there. He had also lost a tremendous amount of weight. He could not feed himself. So I asked a care taker there “if he doesn’t eat do you feed him?” to which she responded “Oh we don’t feed anyone on this floor”. What kind of answer is that?! He lost so much weight and he looked horrible. What really set it off for me what receiving a call one morning and the lady told me “In order for us to keep bob, you’ll have to hire a care giver for at least 12 hours a day ($24 an hour)”. I said to her “Well what am I paying your for?! What are you guys doing?” I was so worried for my loved one that I ended up hiring a caretaker to make sure he was getting water and being fed regularly until my daughter, the social worker, and I found a different place to get the appropriate help that my loved one needs. He is now out of here and doing much better. It’s funny the first day that he moved out he was able to feed himself. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE TO ANYONE. I would not want something like this to happen to anyone else.

Kate Vance

Thank you for reaching out. Your comments concern me and I'd like to help - you can connect with me directly at [removed]. From there, I can determine who is most suited to address your concerns.

Okay Tour

This is a pretty nice community, and my tour of it was okay. There were many factors that played into where to move my mother to for her needs. This was not the one for us, but everyone was kind to my family, and I.

Not considered. Did not have independent living

This Was Our Second Choice

This community was our second choice . It was a nice community the staff seemed friendly and nice. We stopped to talk to a women who was a resident there and see she seemed very pleased and happy with them. The community appeared clean and well maintained.

I loved it though mother thinks rooms are small... She may still consider it.

No kitchen!

When I toured Atria Hillsdale, I liked it a lot but there was no place to make a cup of coffee in the morning. The apartment set up was a bedroom, living room and 2 bathrooms. I needed a little bit of kitchen. Everyone there was very friendly and helpful, but it was not what I was looking for.

Attentive staff!!

Overall I have little to no complaints about this community. My dad was only there for a short period of time but he received decent care from the staff and was comfortable in his new living environment. He just needed more care then what his place could provide for him.

Atria Hillsdale was nice and definitely affordable. It didn't quite capture my Grandmother's interest, but it will be kept in mind when looking to the future.

A Helpful Tour

This is a nice community we had seen. They have an outdoor garden in the memory care. The staff were very good and the facility was real nice. They do not have an all memory care and the cost was substantially higher. They were willing to match another community but the rate would go up after a year.

A small community!!

They did not offer skilled nursing at this community and that is one thing we were looking for. This is a smaller community and does not offer a large outside area for the residents to enjoy. This community seemed more for a person that is more mobile.

Kate Vance

Thanks for visiting Atria Hillsdale. Our communities offer assisted living, independent living and memory care, but skilled nursing care is not our focus. I'm sorry we couldn’t help your family at this time. If you have additional questions or would like to talk more, feel free to contact me via e-mail at [removed].

What a nightmare it as been!

When looking into options for my parents the initial contact with Atria Hillsdale was fabulous. Elliot and the nurse were so warm and welcoming and it was seriously like a big party prior to them actually moving in. We payed the $15K for them to move in and slowly brought furniture into their apartment prior to my Mom being released from rehab. The day before they were supposed to move in I got a call from a man at Atria I had never had any contact with letting me know that they will not be accepted in due to my Dad's issues that Atria was fully aware of prior to him moving in and said it would be a problem reminding him to empty his colostomy bag since he tends to forget. That being said, the experience we had with Atria cost my parents over $40K. I've written letters and never got a response. I would NEVER recommend this community to anyone.

Kate Vance

We take your comments seriously Please contact me directly at [removed] so I can connect you to the appropriate people to help quickly to get this resolved.

It could be better!

Atria Hillsdale is a nice place but as far as care I'm not sure they do. There has been several occasions where Mom has alerted someone to assist her to the bathroom and ends up wetting herself for their lack of response. This has been very upsetting to me. I feel that this place is for people that can do for themselves and not for someone in need of assistance.

Kate Vance

Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. I’d like to learn more about your mom’s experience so I can help. If you’re willing to work with me directly, you can send me an email at [removed].

Nickle and dime everything. A couple of times very important instructions given for the morning and not followed through, thus making us stressed.

For the most part very friendly staff.

Katy Miller

I'd really like to know more about your experience so I can help resolve it. Please reach out to me at [removed] if you're willing to continue this conversation.

Friendly, accommodating staff

Overall I think they do a good job at Atria Hillsdale. The facility itself is well kept and clean, and the staff here seem friendly and professional. We did have a few issues when we moved our loved one in, but the people here are very accommodating and if you bring an issue to their attention they try to resolve it if at all possible.

A Very Good Value

I have only visited/toured this community once, but my first impression was that it is a great value. My overall rating of this property is 4 stars. I rated the cleanliness 4 stars, the Care Services 4 stars, the friendliness 4 stars, and activities 4 stars. I rated the Value 5 stars because It is not expensive and you get a great community for a reasonable price. My tour was a good experience and I do not have anything bad to say about it.

New resident

My mother has only been living at Atria for a little over a month. The adjustment has been difficult for her as she really did not want to leave her home of nearly 60 years. But the staff at Atria has been very kind and very considerate of her, and has gone the distance to include her in activities and introduce her to her fellow residents.
The only criticism I have would be about the activities. I think Atria would do better to have a set of activities that are more active. As an example, the weekly schedule lists "flower arranging", something my mother did actively. Atria's definition of flower arranging is putting one blossom and a few stems of greenery in bud vases that are set on the dining room tables. For someone who was anticipating true flower arranging, this was a huge disappointment.

Nice Place. The quality of food needs to improve. Need more Food variety.

Kate Vance

It sounds like you may have suggestions for improving your dining experience and we would love to hear them! Please feel free to reach out to us directly via [email protected] and kindly include “Atria Hillsdale” in your subject line so we may quickly connect you with the right people to help. You can also get involved by joining a “Food for Thought” meeting at the community where residents are invited to make suggestions and comments about the current menu and even share recipes and sample new menu items. Thank you for helping us continue to improve!

Don't even think about it

The staff is very friendly but they have various shifts of people that cycle from one area to the next. So there isn't a lot of continuity. No real "go to" person. In the beginning the laundry started piling up, but they finally got him on the whole laundry routine. I'm not sure that the dentures are being cleaned. ---addendum to original review: Dad mysteriously broke his hip, screaming in pain one morning. The staff called me to ask what I wanted to do. Why didn't they know they should call 911? They wouldn't let him return to Atria after hospital stay because he was now in a wheelchair. They never called me -- even though I was the main contact. I learned from the hospital that Atria wouldn't take Dad back. Dad also had a wicked case of Scabies caught at Atria. They tried to dismiss the problem at first saying they had issues with laundry. Problem is that the aides are technically not allowed to apply the scabies medicine (insecticide) to the residents as licensing doesn't permit it (I was told). So if your loved one contacts scabies or needs ear wax removal medicine placed in his ears at least once a day, plan on taking time off from your job to do it yourself. Also it was impossible to get a pedicure for my Dad's wicked-looking feet even though they kept bragging about their spa service. I felt that the memory loss residents were 2nd class citizens there. Amenities were focused on "normal" people.

Nice place overall

Things have gone very well with Atria Hillsdale. It is a nice looking, well kept community, and the staff have all been very friendly. I'd give them top marks across the board, we haven't had anything we've been disappointed in!

Did not have a good experience at all

We did not have a good experience with this community at all. We had numerous issues with this facility, all of which left us with a very bad taste in our mouth. First off, while they said they were able to monitor her blood sugar level what that meant was that they could monitor her while she did the test, but not assist in any way. This wouldn't help at all if she got to the point where she could not do it herself. Another issue we had was that although they have an LVN, he was always very hard to get a hold of and I ended up spending quite a lot of time making sure documents from her doctor ended up in the right hands.
They were very very slow in getting her room prepared. It took over a month, which we had to pay for, before she was able to move in, and they wouldn't even offer any sort of discount. They said we could bring her in the weekend we signed the lease and they would house her in a temporary room until her permanent room was ready, the lock on the door did not work and when I did get into the room, the doorknob fell off in my hand. I was locked in the room.

The LVN never pay attention to the updated medication list that was sent to him. When we got there the medication list was still incorrect.

We were told on the day that we were going to move her into the temporary room that my mom could not use her half guard rails for her bed without a doctor`s note. We should have been told this in the beginning.

We ended up having to find some emergency respite care for her at a community that could handle her while Atria Hillsdale continued to try and get things ready.

After all that happened we decided not to move my mom to this facility. We pay a month`s rent and a community fee and never got the apartment or services we were promised.

They seemed to have some serious organizational difficulties, which may be due to their being seemingly understaffed with a very high rate of staff turnover.
I would not recommend this facility to anyone.

Very nice staff, grounds an...

Very nice staff, grounds and location. Menus look good. Tenants look happy. Highly recommend!

My brother and I toured Atr...

My brother and I toured Atria on April 3. We would not select it for a few reasons. One it is outside my dad's palliative care team's area (I just learned this). Two, once someone is unable to move themselves, they need to leave the facility. Finally, they are offering a 20% discount through next Jan. but they are going to be remodeling.

Kate Vance

Thank you for coming in for a tour and considering Atria Hillsdale for your father. I am sorry we could not accommodate his needs at this time. I wish you and your family the best of luck and if we can be of further help to you, please feel free to reach out to [removed] and be sure to include “Atria Hillsdale” in your subject line.

Good Value

The value of this place is pretty good, as far as the memory care goes. As for activities, they could use some improvement. There really aren't that many at all. The food quality could also be improved. It was pretty bad when we first chose them, but it's starting to get better. Not great though. There's really nothing that stood out about them in particular, but they are in a great location, and that was a big selling point for us!

Kate Vance

We appreciate your feedback, thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. I am happy to hear that that the food has improved but it sounds like you may have suggestions on how you think we can make it great! That goes for the activities as well, we’d love to hear from you. If you are willing to share, please email us at [removed] including “Atria Hillsdale” in your subject line.

Food service is terrible

Place looks OK from outside, a pretty spot by the water, but inside is another story. Meals are in a nice-looking dining room but the waiters are really, really slow. You'll hear most of the people eating here talking about how bad the food is, but they have no other choice of where to eat. The food looks unappetizing and isn't hot when it should be.

Liked Marketing Director and activiti...

Liked Marketing Director and activities a great deal. Place was clean and residents genuinely liked it - proactively approached me and said it was "the best" place. However, lack of any type of kitchen within room probably does not make this an option.

This one mom thought was a little dec...

This one mom thought was a little decrepit. Nice people working there. They didn't have any floor level rooms with patio when we were there last.

Nice.

Nice.

Executive Director is great. The sta...

Executive Director is great. The staff seemed energetic and the place was active. We were visiting during the lunch hour so that contributed to the activity. The main floor was nicely renovated for a 30 year old building and the food looked great. Overall positive. However, the big issue is the rooms. The studios are very small, though the vary in size. And the "suite" is although larger has now way for a resident to make coffee or have any milk or perishable in the room.

For more than 20 years, Atria Hillsdale has served the families of San Mateo. With a continuing commitment to quality, the community is undergoing an extensive renovation to enhance its beauty and functionality. Once complete, residents will enjoy a host of exciting new spaces and amenities, including renovated apartments with modern décor and updated features, a larger living room with lagoon views, a newly constructed 4,500-square-foot outdoor terrace with mountain views, a new movie theater, full-service bistro, physical therapy center – and much more.

For families dealing with the challenges of dementia, Atria Hillsdale is expanding its Life Guidance® memory care neighborhood. Features will include an open layout with combined dining, living and event areas, a secure interior courtyard and 30 thoughtfully designed apartments with modern features.

In addition to chef-prepared meals and discreet support from a dedicated staff 24/7, residents of Atria Hillsdale also benefit from a robust events calendar featuring engaging opportunities every day – from art classes to cocktail hours and musical performances.

Atria Senior Living is a leading operator of independent living, assisted living, supportive living and memory care communities in more than 200 locations in 27 states and seven Canadian provinces. Atria communities are home to more than 23,000 seniors and employ more than 14,800 people.