Arbor Hills Memory Care - Plano, TX

A loving home

We are thrilled having Mother at Arbor Hills for the past 8 months. The entire staff is loving and respectful to all their residents. They have been unfailingly friendly to our family and are proactive in keeping us informed of any changes in Mother's condition. They keep the residents and facilities clean, the food is excellent and there are several activities each day to engage and encourage the retention of connegative and physical abilities.

Arbor hills has proven to be a good spot for my beloved mother-in-law. From 24 hr. nursing care, respectful front desk staff, happy caregivers, good laundry service, frequent outings, nice TV/music, landscaping, the inner patio beauty, countless thoughtful elements of appropriate decor for this generation, very attractive furniture, sweet and varied activities, good food, and a very caring staff- we give it an A+ rating. Family owned for several decades, they demonstrate a true commitment to the specific needs of our memory care population. We’ve had experience with several other facilities caring for 2 other family members and this has been the best.

Happy Mom

My mother has been at Arbor Hills 4+ years. The staff has been very caring and loving to her and the other residence.
She is very happy at Arbor Hills. She participates in all aspects of what Arbor Hills has to offer. Several of the staff have been there for quite some time. Nursing staff is very competent, compassionate, and caring. You won't find better. The staff encourages you to discuss any needs or concerns and they are addressed immediately. I can sleep at night knowing my mother is in the best place to care for her.

Koelsch Senior Communities

Kim, thank you for your continual support of choosing Arbor Hills Memory Care Community as the home for your mother. We love taking care of all of our residents and will pass along your compassionate compliments to our nursing team. I am glad that your concerns are addressed and that we are providing the best care. If we can serve you in any way, we would be grateful if you would call Audra.

My husband has been a resident of Arbor Hills for several years; he is confined to a wheelchair. The decision that a family member can no longer stay safely at home is very difficult. I visit Arbor Hills everyday, usually at dinner time. The staff is attentive and compassionate, and both the Executive Director and the Nursing Director are always receptive to any concerns I may have. I am comfortable with the care my husband receives. Memory care can be really hard, and Arbor Hills does a good job.

Koelsch Senior Communities

Kay, thank you for spending a moment to write a review of Arbor Hills Memory Care Community. We couldn’t agree more what a difficult decision it is in deciding and then choosing a community for a loved one. I will ensure our staff learns of your attentive and compassionate compliments. We are appreciative of your support and are thankful that we had the opportunity to take care of your husband. If we can serve you in any way, we would be grateful if you would call Audra.

Arbor Hills/Plano was a wonderful experience.

My recent total positive experience with Arbor Hills(AH)/Plano ended with my mom’s passing (01/2018). She was a resident commencing in March 2017. During her time at AH she was treated with loving care, respect, dignity and always plenty of smiles. I can say the same for myself as I generally visited her three times weekly. I found AH to always be clean and bright. I liked the AH facility footprint including optional rooms i.e., places to go within the facility. Back in February 2017, I found the fixed rate quote provided to me to be competitive and acceptable.
From Reception to 24/7 Nursing to Caregivers to Administration to Housekeeping to Maintenance, all those we (mom and my family) encountered were people who, outside of AH, would be wonderful neighbors. But most importantly, they were there at AH for my mom daily, providing her with a genuine human touch.

Koelsch Senior Communities

We are sorry for your loss Joseph. We loved caring for your mom at Arbor Hills Memory Care Community and will pass along your compliments to our teams. Thank you for allowing our staff to provide loving support and care for you and your mom. If we can serve you in any way, we would be grateful if you would call Debbie, our Executive Director.

Nursing home feel - Not very homey

While looking into some options for my love one, I found that this facility was not as homey as I would have liked it. It definitely had that nursing home feel. In their rooms they had hospital beds and it wasn’t as warm or inviting. The staff team there though seemed really nice. While we were touring the place we notice them helping the residents that could get out of their bed assisting them to get dressed and to get them out of their rooms. That part I liked about the place. If someone were to have more of a physical disability I would recommend this location. They reason why I didn’t move forward with them is because it was more of a nursing home facility.

Koelsch Senior Communities

Thank you for touring and writing a review for Arbor Hills Memory Care Community. We will pass along the 'really nice' compliments to our staff. I am happy you shared your story about the care our teams were providing. We hope you found the perfect place for your loved one. If we can serve you in any way, we would be grateful if you would call Debbie, our Executive Director.

Comfortable Staff!!

My loved one was recently in this community for a short respite stay and I have no complaints of how things went for her. The staff where always so helpful and I was comfortable with the care they had provided to her. She had no complaints about the meals and enjoyed participating in some of the activities from time to time. Overall we where very happy with her stay and thought they did everything they had promised us.

Koelsch Senior Communities

Thank you for writing a review for Arbor Hills Memory Care Community. It sounds like the benefits of our respite & hourly stay program were ideal. I will pass along your compliments to our helpful staff and both the Director of Activities and Culinary Director. If we can serve you in any way, we would be grateful if you would call Debbie, our Executive Director.

Great Place for Loved Ones

Friendly and competent staff. Very nice and clean facility. Knowledgeable and caring management. Offer a variety of options for care and interaction as well as fun activities.

Koelsch Senior Communities

Andrea, thank you for writing this review for Arbor Hills Memory Care Community. We appreciate the kind compliments about our friendly and nice staff. I will ensure our Director of Activities learns of this review about 'fun activities'. If we can serve you in any way, we would be grateful if you would call Debbie our Executive Director.

A Meeting At The Community

We liked this community when we toured it. This community was our second choice. The community is nice and clean. I was impressed with the staff I met. The community we choose was a little closer to us.

Koelsch Senior Communities

Thank you for writing this review and touring Arbor Hills Memory Care Community. We appreciate the kind compliments about our nice and clean community and the impression our staff made. A close location is difficult to beat, if we can be of any further assistance, please contact the Executive Director.

Amazing Memory Care Unit !!

The memory care service they provide at this community is outstanding. They work everyday one on one with my loved one to help improve her memory. They have amazing activities and techniques they offer to the residents to make sure they are staying busy and constantly improving their skills. I could not be more satisfied and would highly recommend this place.

Koelsch Senior Communities

Thank you for writing this review and highly recommending Arbor Hills Memory Care Community. As the Alzheimer’s experts, we train our staff to provide meaningful one-on-one interactions and glad that these moments have had an impact with your loved one. We will pass along your comments to the Director of Activities that her events are well received. You may always contact our Executive Director and speak with her directly if you have any further questions or concerns.

Accentuating the positive

My mom has lived at Arbor Hills for 2 years now. Her medical care there has always been top notch, provided by some really special nurses. Caring for Alzheimer's patients takes a unique combination of angel and superhero.

There were some staffing transfers followed by some staff turnover. It got a bit wobbly for awhile, but that seems to have resolved. I like the direction things are going now! I see a lot more smiles, a lot of positive interaction between staff and patients, more friendship between patients, and overall I see a refreshed and warmer environment. As always, the nurses, care team, and the wonderful front desk ladies keep me updated on mom's status.

I met this week with the new managing director and the new director of nursing for a care plan review. I was impressed. Alzheimer's is relentless, and mom had an unpreventable fall, resulting in an ER visit for a bad skin tear on her arm. The Arbor Hills team were fantastic, their quick response to the fall and their follow-up care made a real difference for a fast recovery. We reassessed mom's situation in the meeting and I was given good ideas for changes to help mom cope. (Mom is feisty)

It was a tough day when we realized we could no longer take care of mom without a lot of help. I know she is being looked after by people who care.

Koelsch Senior Communities

Sharon, thank you for writing this very thoughtful review for Arbor Hills Memory Care Community. We love how you address nurses caring for Alzheimer’s patients as a mix of angel and superhero. It is nice to read that interactions between our staff and residents are positive and that friendships are developing. We take great pride in our team and the exceptional care that they provide for your mom and all of our residents. We will be sure to pass along your comments to all of our teams. We hope your mom recovers very quickly. If you have any additional questions, please contact our Executive Director.

5 Stars All The Way!!

The tour guide was very knowledgeable. All of my questions and concerns were answered. The community was clean and organized. Some activities they offered were art classes, cooking classes, and brain fitness. They have different available meal plans to best fit the needs of the residents. I would recommend a tour of the community to friends and family.

Koelsch Senior Communities

Thank you for the review of Arbor Hills Memory Care Community. We are glad to read that your tour was successful and that all of your questions and concerns were answered. The Director of Activities is always looking for engaging opportunities for our residents, and we love showcasing the variety of programs available. It is paramount that our food looks and tastes delicious, and we strive to be the leader in offering plans that fit our resident’s needs. We appreciate your recommendation, and if you have any additional questions, please contact our Executive Director.

Highly Recommended

I put 45 stars because nobody is perfect but Arbor Hills comes close. My mother was there and my step dad spent the last couple weeks of his life there. The people are awesome; loving, kind, caring and attentive. It is a gift to give care to memory care patients in a dignified way and Arbor Hills succeeds. I highly recommend them!

Koelsch Senior Communities

Dpitt, thank you for the 45-star rating and the recommendation. Here at Arbor Hills Memory Care Community, our number one priority is the care and comfort for our residents and to read that we are awesome, loving, kind, caring and attentive is almost too much. We will pass along these gracious comments to our teams, and if we can be of further assistance, please contact our Executive Director.

NOT the worst facility ever.............

I felt compelled to write after reading the review entitled "The Worst Memory Care Facility Ever". My family member has been a resident of Arbor Hills for over 2 years and the facility I have experienced is not by any means the same as that described by the author of "Worst Ever....". Although not perfect, the staff at Arbor Hills is dedicated, hard-working and caring. The Executive Director and 24/7 nursing staff are excellent. They communicate well and are accessible to both residents and family members. As a regular visitor, I have always found the facility to be clean, odor-free and well-maintained. This applies to both the common areas and resident's rooms. Anyone touring memory care facilities on behalf of a loved one should consider Arbor Hills. Although it may not end up being the best fit for everyone, it should be on the list of possible contenders.

THE WORST MEMORY CARE FACILITY EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

We moved our loved one in at the beginning of 2015. We were excited when we toured the facility. It was clean and seemed to be very nice. Zoe showed us around and claimed to have all these amenities that would benefit us and our loved one. Not one of these amenities have been true. It was only after the first month did we realize what a mistake we had made in putting our parent here. It was a disaster! They are not and have never been adequately staffed nor do they even care about the well being of the residents that live there. The alarms are going off all the time with no response, not even from any of the staff who can NEVER be found. You have to be let in and that usually takes 5 - 10 minutes depending if someone is even behind the desk unlock the door for you. Even when they are there they ignore you and continue doing what they are doing until you have to interrupt them. They have no understanding of the words DIGNITY & COMPASSION like they claim on their website. I have found my parent numerous times on the floor where they have fallen by themselves in their room with the door locked and with wet or soiled clothing that has not been changed since the morning shift dressed them (I know this because the staff writes on the undergarments the time and date they put them on) and it is now late afternoon. I would not recommend this place to anyone!!!! When I have discussed numerous time the issues I am having to the staff and management they just shake their heads and tell me that I am right and that they are not fully staffed but are really trying to find more people. The reason they are not fully staffed is because they treat their staff horribly! As far as the owner's [names removed] they could care less about you and your loved one and only care about your MONEY! I have tried numerous times to contact the owners (since they are so proud of it being family owned) and they have never once returned any of my messages! We pay an extreme amount of money for them not to have a full staff and to take care for our parent as if they were an animal. I have seen animals treated better than this! You have to beg the management and staff to bath your parent and even then it takes days to get them to do it and then only after you have asked several more times! When we first arrived the head nurse was Marshall who was amazing. They then opened another facility in Frisco and there went Marshall. His replacement is [name removed] who was rude and could care less about the needs of your loved one When you call to speak with her she has no idea who you are or who your parent is even after you have given her you and your loved one's name. It got to the point that we had to be there everyday and most days twice a day just to make sure that they are giving the medications that are to be taken daily not to mention making sure that they are not wet or soiled. I have found feces smeared around the bathroom and in the hallways that have obviously been there for longer than a day and not cleaned. The rooms smell of urine and feces and are NEVER vacuumed. My parent was there for less than 6 months and not one time was their room dusted or vacuumed. They are under staffed and uneducated when it comes to memory care. [removed] Please DO NOT put your loved one in the horrific place! You will regret it the rest of your life!

Koelsch Senior Communities

We, at Arbor Hills Memory Care are genuinely sorry for this unfortunate situation and express our apologies to the family involved. We have taken immediate action to resolve all staffing issues and have a plan of correction in place to meet the high standards Koelsch Senior Communities expects for all of its locations. We expect our residents to be cared for with compassion and professional excellence at all times. At Arbor Hills we are committed to:

• Professional, 24/7 nursing staff
• Full Staffing based on acuity level of current residents
• Cleanliness: regular housekeeping and staff availability at all times to respond to housekeeping accidents, and emergencies
• Consistent and responsive incontinence care available according to the need of each resident.
• Detailed and accurate care management, with regular assessments to make adjustments if the level of a resident’s care needs increase: such as frequent falls or other higher level of care needs.

We continue to be committed to the best care for our residents at Arbor Hills and have an open door policy for residents and families to talk with staff about any concerns that arise. We take seriously their trust in the care provided by our professional staff, and have accountability measures in place to assure that all of our residents continue to receive excellent care. Families are encouraged to talk directly with staff with any concerns, but can also call the home office team at our Olympia office.

Good Caring Staff

I would say that I am impressed that they have good caring people and I like their interaction with the residents. They could improve on their communication, because I am out of state so getting a sense of what is going on there can be confusing sometimes, but other than that they have been doing well.

The people at Arbor Hills were wonderful.

The people at Arbor Hills were wonderful. In the initial transfer, somewhere between the pharmacy and the community the ball was dropped on her meds. I thought it was a great place, to be honest. But I was under the impression that they were going to help with getting compassionate care, and medicaid set up. But they didn't ever really do that.

Koelsch Senior Communities

Thank you for your review, we at Arbor Hills are committed to giving the best care possible to all of our residents and making our best efforts to help the transition go smoothly for each person that joins our community. The transition from a hospital or rehabilitation into the Arbor Hills community requires that medications be provided to insure continuity of care. Usually, this process goes smoothly for the resident and families who are helping with the transition, but on a rare occasion, the pharmacy involved can prevent the filling of a prescription and the family needs to intervene so that their loved one can transition seamlessly. Fortunately, this is rare, but it can make the move a bit stressful as family and staff work together to remedy the situation.

Our Compassionate Care program does provide limited financial benefit to residents who qualify, but unlike Medicaid, which is a state-sponsored program that provides for the full financial responsibility of housing and care in select communities outside of Arbor Hills, the Compassionate Care program is designed to offset base rental costs for residents who qualify, and does not cover the full monthly rent and care charges. If a resident does not have the financial resources to pay for long term care in our community, and does not qualify for our in-house Compassionate Care program, we will help the family secure a quality living option that can provide the financial assistance and care needed.

It was fine

I visited the Arbor Hills Memory Care one time but It was fine. The facility was very clean and well kept. The staff was very friendly and welcoming.

1. Easy access in the heart of Plano.
2. Highly knowledgeable staff.
3. Circular design around a central courtyard in a Western motiff.

From the Heart

When my family and my wife's family looked for a facility for my wife, the first place we visited was Arbor Hills. We all agreed we needed to look no further as we were all so impressed with what we saw, we knew our search was complete. As we approach a year of residency, our decision has proven to be correct. I visit my wife almost daily, and I continue to be very impressed with the employees care and attention to all of the residents. The needs vary greatly, but the staff always does their best to give wonderful care. If I were to offer a rating, Arbor Hills would be at the very top, and I am so thankful.

I have had a few issues and concerns here, but overall not bad.

I have had a few issues and concerns here. They went more than a week without giving a medication, because it didn't get refilled. There was a wound that didn't get changed, due to a communication issue. The roommate she shares a room with has dementia, and has a habit of taking things. I have emailed the director, and he never responded back to me. There seems to be a lot of turnover, right now. The workers are very nice, and it's a nice, clean facility. I chose it because they have a nurse there at night, and I liked that they had the motion sensors in the room.

Koelsch Senior Communities

Thank you for sharing your experience and concerns about Arbor Hills. It is the desire of our staff to support our residents and provide a comfortable place for them to live, and thrive with dignity, respect and personalized care. We appreciate having the opportunity to solve the issues as quickly as possible when our staff or community programming is not functioning up to Koelsch standards of excellence . We have made several staff changes to date, and have incorporated specific team training to expedite smoother resident care and facilitate better communication with residents and families. We hope that you have already noticed the difference, as we strive to provide the best services for our residents and their families. We are truly sorry for any inconvenience your family has experienced and want you to know that we have taken appropriate action with staff and the community.

Disappointed

Community is going down hill quickly. Huge staff turnover causing inadequate staffing, food heavy on carbs (particularly rice which is a choking hazard for the elderly) and run out of items frequently. No milk for cereal for a late riser, no butter for baked potatoes, no sugar for tea. Short-handed in kitchen and housekeeping which then puts those duties on top of the Resident Aides who are short handed themselves. Alarms going off constantly which is aggitating to residents. Even though there are two dining rooms, only one is utilized and with 50 residents and family members that come to ensure their loved one is being fed, it is very crowded. Meals are hand-carried out, therefore takes a long time and ones needing assistance with eating are left waiting until their food is cold. My suggestion to anyone planning to tour Arbor Hills - show up unannouced for a tour around 4:30-5:00 pm If you come later there will be no management to show you around, normally only the nurse attempting to dispense medication while answering the phone, front door and responding to residents. It is a shame because Arbor Hills is not cheap, their founding philosophy is very good, however they are not living up to their promises. I am willing to bet whoever put the entry this month that it is great there, has either just recently moved in or their loved one needs little to no assistance.

Koelsch Senior Communities

We, at Arbor Hills are sorry for this unfortunate situation and appreciate your input and concerns. Our staff is passionate about helping residents feel comfortable in their surroundings as well as committed to meeting the special care needs that memory loss presents while maintaining dignity, continuity and as little interruption as possible for our residents. That said, when a team is not functioning up to our Koelsch standards of excellence, we are committed to remedy a situation as quickly as possible. Because of this, we have made several staff and service changes as well as have conducted detailed training to strengthen our team in order to facilitate smoother resident care and foster stronger and more efficient communication.

We hope that you have noticed the new dietician-recommended menus and revamped dining room seating as well efficiencies we have put into place for ordering meals. We are also looking forward to the opening of a 2nd dining area and new dining staff that will take place in January. Although change can be difficult at times, our desire is to provide the best services for our residents and families. Our concerns are your concerns. We express our sincere apologies for any inconvenience that your family has experienced and want you to know that we have taken proper action with staff and at the community.

They do a very good job.

They do a very good job. It's very clean, and the staff is friendly. They do a good job with being attentive and responsive. My loved one doesn't really participate in the activities much, but they have them. The food is plain, it's nutritious, but not seasoned very much. I am quite pleased with the place, though.

Growing pains

Beautiful place with good, caring philosophy. Unfortunately, going through some growing pains. Due to rapid increase in residents, there is now a staffing shortage which is getting worse, with the loss of good employees, including the chef. This is a shame as this is a very family friendly/family oriented community. Hopefully, this will be rectified, which would bring my review back to 5 stars, as I previously gave it!

Nice looking memory care community

We toured this community when we were looking into memory care options for our loved one. This is only based on what I saw during my brief tour of the community, but overall I thought the place looked very good! It was clean, the staff I interacted with were friendly and professional, and the care they provided looked good. It is worth taking a look at if you are looking into care for a loved one.

Nice looking place!

We thought this was a nice looking place! Based on what we saw during our tour the facility itself was well kept and clean, and the staff seemed friendly and caring. We ended up choosing another community we thought would be a better fit.

A wonderful place

It’s just a wonderful place! I’d give the staff a five plus. The staff is extremely well trained in dementia and memory care. The environment is lovely. The rooms are very nice. The staff seems to really enjoy working there. They have very little turn over!

Awesome!

They’re awesome. They’re strictly memory care and diabetic care. It was home – just a good place. There’s plenty of parking for visitors. The food there is awesome! I don’t where they got the chef from, but he was awesome. I saw some of the residents who were picky eats – Chef would go back in and make them something else to eat – he didn’t complain or anything. Just a really nice place.

Nice looking place

We toured this location when we were looking into memory care options for a loved one. As far as we could see based on our tour everything here looked great. The staff were all very friendly, and the facility itself was clean and well kept. It is definitely worth a look if you are looking into memory care.

Arbor Hills

Arbor Hills Community is a wonderful place for your loved one. It is new (construction completed in May of 2013), beautifully appointed, exceptionally clean, but most of all the care given to our dad is wonderful. The staff is thoughtful, kind, gracious, friendly and protective of all the residents as if they were their own family members.

Amazing Place!

Mom's is at Arbor Hills and the care is great. I would recommend it to anybody. They do have a lot of activities. Of course it's all memory care so they do ball playing, music, word games, folding baby clothes and different depending on the level of care. The food is fantastic! They have a chef that bakes all the bread by hand, even the sandwich bread.

Much more active community

It's brand new, my mother was the third one that was in the facility and they had just been so helpful, they're really caring to all the residents. There's at least 6 activities a day that the residents can intereact in and particiapte in them if they like. This is much larer and when we got there the staff was so attentive, they made her feel at home and found out what her interests were. It was a very good transition, we thought we might have to stay with her the first night and they would have allowed us to do that but she told us that we could go home and that she'd see us tomorrow, it was much better than we thought it would be. She can go out in a little patio area and the residents go out by themselves if they want, although there's usually someone with them. They have the felixibility to do that and I thought with the large community she wouldn't be used to all the people but really, she walks around and they have these curio cabinets filled with old timey things for them to look at. There's a lot more activity which I think is good, they don't want them to be in their rooms a lot, they'd rather have them out and staying active.

Brand new facility - grand ...

Brand new facility - grand opening is Thursday, July 11th from 3pm - 7pm. They are a family owned company based out of the Pacific NW with over 50 yrs experience. Early stage to end of life - no need to move. 24/7 Nursing on site. LPN's throughout the day. 7 days a week activities. Motion sensors in the room to detect falls. Special pricing - deposit secures pricing for 2 years. Companion rooms 4150/mo Private room 5300/mo Plus level of care (assessment req)- each level increases 400/mo Level I (0-22pts)- included in monthly fee Level 2 (23-30 pts) Level 3 (31-44 pts) Level 4 (45+ pts) - bed bound, combative

Arbor Hills Memory Care Community is a proud member of Koelsch Senior Communities. Koeslch is a family owned company - serving seniors since 1958. With over half a century of experience, you can be certain our family will take great care of yours.

Koelsch has always prided itself on its hands-on leadership, outstanding customer service, attention to detail and overall resident satisfaction. Our company culture is exemplified through our core values and our dedication to providing residents with a caring atmosphere, comfortable lifestyle, and unsurpassed customer service. We treat you like family.

We invite you to read our story on our web-site.

At Koelsch Senior Communities, we have pioneered our "Personal Touch" program and train each of our staff continually on providing quality, compassionate care to each of our residents and families.

Arbor Hills Memory Care Communtiy is located in Plano - We look forward to speaking with you, you are welcome to stop by and visit our location any time.

We offer private rooms, private suites and companion rooms - each with a beautiful view.