West Haven AFCH - Portland, OR

I really liked this place. The owner and her caregiving assistant were both there. They are delightful Romanian women and proud of their heritage! They were so friendly and offered great suggestions about homes, dietary things, even though I had already said that I could not see my dad fitting in there. All the usual things here: furniture can be provided (hospital bed or regular bed), call bell in the room, half bath in the room, nutritious meals with some flexibility. Everything is made from scratch.
Realizing that people come and go and the decision should not be based on who lives there, I still had to consider who are the current residents. If one is looking for a place for a person with full cognitive abilities it is really rough finding a one where they will thrive. All but one place I checked out had most, if not all the residents with dementia.
I would highly recommend this home based on what I saw.

Individualized Care in a Home-Like Environment

My father was moved to West Haven last Thursday and we're pretty happy with it. The owner certianly has her heart in it and that was something that we were looking for - someone who cares. Compared with a nursing home, which would be considerably more money per month, you get more individualized care and I think the environment is more home like. The combination of thier care and hospice is working out really well. I think my father deserves the best that we can give him and I think he's getting that where he is.