Walden Place - Iowa City, IA

My friend love it here

I helped my friend find this community and it is such a good fit for her. The staff is great we love them. The atmosphere is warm and homey feeling. The food is great. And they will always have snacks out if they want to snack. They go into her apartment 1x weekly to clean up and it never smells in this community. She enjoys the daily activities like bingo or a bus ride. She gets her hair done in the salon there. There is a grill outside if they want to use it. The apartments are spacious and they have little balconies. I would recommend this to people.

Great tour

The staff here did a great job on my tour, they took their time showing me around and they were able to answer my questions. The community is bright and open and the grounds very nice. My mom just did not like the multi levels and did not think she would like it here.

Fun Place

The Walden Place community is a fun place with a lot of potentials for my sister to get involved. We especially like staff members [Removed] who have been very helpful to us. The other staff members are very friendly. I really like her room it is very spacious and has a nice view. We are working with housekeeping to make sure it is well-kept and cleaned regularly. My sister says she likes the food that they serve. They offer a lot of activities and provide transportation excursions outside of the community. The landscaping is beautiful along the walkways and there is seating to relax and enjoy the fresh air. I would definitely recommend the Walden Place to others.

Very easy admission process!

I was mostly involved in getting my mother moved into the community. They were very fast, courteous and responsive and they made the process very easy.

Great Tour, but too Expensive

I had a very nice tour of this community. This is a great looking community, and everything looked very well-kept. The staff I met was very kind, and polite. The lady the showed me around the community was very sweet. The only downside was that it was a pricey for my budget, but my tour went very well overall.

Dad's care and comfort

I am happy with this community. for my father. The community is clean and maintained. The meals are outstanding and he is offered a lot of variety. He is enjoying a lot of the sports activities with the residents. We would recommend this community for everything that is offered for a loved one.

A nic place.

I like living at Walden Place. The staff have been real good and helpful. They keep the community clean and they clean my apartment once a week. The food is good and the offer daily activities. I would recommend this community.

Mom's plsce

Mother just recently moved in but very pleased so far.

very bright and friendly place

Walden Place has a gorgeous landscape!

The tour guide was very kind and answered all of my questions. The community was very bright and had a welcoming atmosphere. They offer many different activities for the residents. It was top of the list but my mom just wasn't ready to move out of her home.

We really like Walden Place!!

Walden Place is a very nice community. The landscaping was nice and it looked like a clean community. The people that assisted us with the tour were nice. We chose another community as it was closer to the family.

Kara was very kind, patient and friendly when we( my sister and I) were looking at places for my father to live. He could no longer live in his home. She gave us time to discuss what we liked or dislike. She showed compassion when things did not go well with my father.
My father has thrive there. He is a very social person and has reconnected with some long lost friend from his childhood. He chose the smallest of the rooms, but regrets it. The food is good. The staff friendly. You need to be independent at this place. If you need skilled care it can get expensive but they do have contract staff available in house.
Dad enjoys the activities.

Holiday Retirement

Thank you for your feedback. The one-star review is confusing, since the review shows approval of multiple things (food, staff, activities), and one star usually means a person really, really dislikes our service.

Please let us know what needs to happen for you leave a higher rating, and again, thank you for your feedback.

TRUELY OUTSTANDING!

We couldn't be happier with our senior living community choice on ALL levels. The food, the staff, the apartment itself, etc. most importantly the safety and welfare of all residents. Recently some members of the community developed the flu. In an effort to minimize the spread, restrictions were made on visitors while the staff initiated disinfecting the facility. They even served their meals in residents rooms while tackling this problem. They are to be commended for this...all in an effort to keep everyone safe. This speaks volumes of their care and concern. Wouldn't even consider another facility. Great job all around Walden Place and thank you!!!

Things are fine

So far, things have gone well at Walden Place. The staff is nice and pleasant and the facility itself is clean. Overall, things are fine and we have not had any complaints with the facility or the staff.

5 stars

It was a really friendly place

Beautiful place, not a good fit for us

I think Walden Place is a fantastic place for a more indpendent senior! Unfortunately it wasn't a great fit for my loved one, as she needed more care than they provide here, but I was very impressed by what I saw! It's a clean, nice looking facility, and they have all sorts of activities and events! They also do a great job with the food!

How far should they let it go ???

My mom has been at this community almost a year. When we first moved her in she loved it, still does for the most part. There are some flaws, some residents should be in assisted living as they have control problems with bladder and don't even know they have made a mess, then sit on furniture where other folks sit and then they have wet pans also, let alone the smell. They are short staffed right now, and it shows. The meals were wonderful, but now there is a new chef, and mom says that she has had enough baked fish that she feels like she could swim. The worst problem is when another resident is allowed to crab the hand of a 90 yr. woman and squeeze so hard it hurt her hand and then yell at her for opening the shade at her dinning table. The dining room was full so plenty of people seen what happened, That is abuse and when reported to the office, told"we will check into it in the meeting on Thursday" this happened on Tuesday evening. This just doesn't sit right with the family.

Walden Place vs. Legacy

We toured this facility and then Legacy Senior Living. Legacy is hands down the nicer community. Walden Place had unhappy residents that happened to be complaining right as we toured which I am sure affected my opinion negatively. Legacy seemed like a fun neighborhood with lots going on. We honestly wanted to stay and hang out there! My suggestion is to tour all the facilities and to observe the friendliness of staff and satisfaction of current residents. A couple hundred dollars more per month is worth the nicer apartments, variety of menu items, and 24 hour staff on site to lead activities and secure the building. Both buildings were full in capacity so I am sure they both have pros to them but the initial impression spoke volumes to my family and I. Mom hasn't complained once at Legacy and for the first time in a long time, she enjoys hosting again.

Kara did a great job showin...

Kara did a great job showing Mom and me around. She showed us several apartments and spent plenty of time talking to us about features and pros and cons. We really appreciated her time and attention. The staff and residents we met were welcoming and the facility would definitely be a smooth transition.

Waldens is great

The folks at Walden Place are very nice ,pleasing, just a delight to be with.

Moms first choice

I've never been in on any of the activities, I know they have them and I like all the activites they've got for the people that live there, they've got plenty of things to keep them busy, I've just never been there when my mom's doing them. It was up to my mom and she liked this one over the other ones we looked at, she didn't say why but probably because it was closer than some of the others. She hasn't complained about anything to me yet.

sounds really cool

sounds really cool

Situated on a hill overlooking the famous Mormon Trek Road, Walden Place offers you a scenic and vibrant community to explore and share. We are minutes away from downtown, outlet shopping, casinos and several area hospitals.

Our all-inclusive month-to-month rent covers:
- Three delicious and nutritious chef-prepared meals from scratch
- A variety of enriching activities
- Weekly housekeeping and linen service
- Transportation
- Most utilities

Friends in 300 places

Built with your comfort and safety in mind