The Scott-Farrar Home - Peterborough, NH

Lack of Professionalism

Health care professionals in the area are completely avoiding Scott Farrar in terms of employment. The staff primarily consists of unlicensed employee's. The only R.N on staff is the director of nursing. If she is not around to supervise. Supervision of the facility is delegated to an L.N.A (licensed) or P.C.A (unlicensed) It has gotten to the point that P.C.A's are commonly being deemed as the "point" person. It's sad because the majority of these people are nice individuals. Unfortunately, due to poor hiring technique they are also unqualified. As a health care provider things like this do not rest easy with me. Taking the time and having patience are very important. Especially, when planing a place for mom/dad to live with dignity and respect! Personally I wish we took a bit more time to make that decision.

Lara Shook

This review is mostly inaccurate. From a family prospective, yes I can understand how you might see our operation this way, but from a management prospective I'd respectfully like to say that you're only seeing part the picture-

Our community is not a medical facility, it is an Assisted Living - meaning our Residents do not require medical attention 24 hours a day. If they did - living in a Nursing Home would be more appropriate. Because we are an Assisted Living, we do not staff a nurse 24/7. However, 24/7 a nurse is on call and the building is always staffed by a Licensed Supervisor.
We have not had any difficulty hiring or retaining staff and I'd like to share that we have a dedicated, caring and professional team. A team I'm very proud of.

If you have concerns about our community, I would encourage you to speak with myself or Michelle (our Resident Care Director) any time. You should not feel dissatisfied with the community you have chosen for your parents. Although an anonymous online review is an option, I feel it's better if we connect in person to resolve any concerns you have and to make sure Scott-Farrar is the right community for you and your parents. Living here is a choice and if it was not the right one, we support and will help you find a different community to call home.

All my best, Lara

Outstanding and best location, but too expensive

Lara Shook

Thank you for saying we are outstanding!!! That makes me very happy.

Retirement Communities are not inexpensive, you are right. However I am proud to share we are a non-profit/charitable community (you may read more about this on our website). In addition, we are the least expensive in the local area, along with being the newest.

We publish our pricing on our website - something most communities do not do. We are proud of who we are, what we offer and that we do it all at cost - non-profit.

Thank you!

The distance was to far from us

Scott-Farrar at Peterborough was my mother-in-law's first choice, she liked the newness and the staff were very friendly and did an excellent job with our tour of their community. But because of the distance, we would have to drive to and from to take our in-laws to their doctor appointments and us being so far from them we felt it best to find something closer.

Lara Shook

Thank you for your review!

I hope your in-laws are very happy in their community! It's great you found one you loved and in a location close to you.

All my best, Lara

Disrespect for Seniors

The one thing my friends wanted to count on when they moved to Scott-Farrar was a daily, decent meal. Something to look forward to. Instead, the food quality and taste are deplorable, as if the institution's administration were merely "feeding the animals." It is an insult to seniors' dignity. And seniors who have complained are treated as if their opinions do not matter, as if they were not adults and paying clients. It is shocking.

Lara Shook

This comment was written about a year and a half ago. I would like readers to know that when we opened 2 years ago, our food was disappointing. However, resident opinions were listened to and their concerns were addressed; Shortly after this review was written - Glendale Senior Dining was hired to operate our Culinary Department. The quality, taste and services in Culinary Services greatly improved. Our Chef Mike is accommodating to all resident requests and if you know Mike you know he is deeply passionate about resident satisfaction. When you open a new community something is bound to go wrong! For us it was culinary, but we listened and we improved.

We could not be happier

Mom is doing great at this community. They made the process of moving her in outstanding. The nurse is phenomenal she answers mom's questions and stays in contact with the family. The entire staff are friendly and helpful. The food is good and they keep the community clean. They offer daily activities and I would recommend this community.

Lara Shook

Thank you for your kind review! Our team is dedicated and cares deeply for our Residents. It's always nice to hear they are appreciated and their hard work is noticed. But also know, if you even need to share a concern, myself or a member of the Department Head team is always available. Thank you! Lara

Give them time

They've just opened and with less than 50% occupancy it's too early to make a judgement about services or overall management. Give them time to work on things.

Lara Shook

Always nice when people give the new guy a chance!!! This review was written just after we opened.
We've now been open two years and I'm proud to say it's been two successful years. Both of our Annual State Survey's have been Deficiency Free!!!
Thank you for your review.

The team and the physical building of the New Scott Farrar independent, assisted, and memory care community in Peterborough are among the best I have seen! Caring people, stunning new building about to open, and amazing views, what more could one ask for?

Lara Shook

Thank you!!! What a kind review! We are very proud of our community and of the team working here. We've now been reopened for two years and it's been an honor to lead this community.
Thank you.

People are nice. Stairs not...

People are nice. Stairs not suitable for our family situation (yes there is an elevator but our family member would treat the stairs as a challenge and is not steady enough.) Also they are unwilling to take anyone who has had a seizure in the last few months which makes it a no for us. Seemed empty - only saw two residents. Staff was pleasant. Kitchen staff seemed particularly accommodating. !

Lara Shook

This review was written 5 years ago and refers to our original building - a building built in the 50's. It has since been torn down and completely rebuilt. Much better stairs!!!

We offer many more services that the original community did not. Seizures would not be a disqualifier from living here at Scott-Farrar today.

Thank you for your review!

Scott-Farrar at Peterborough is a non-profit, charitable retirement community. In existence for 109 year, Scott-Farrar was fully rebuilt in 2016.

Scott-Farrar offers Independent Living, Assisted Living and Memory Care Assisted Living. Each neighborhood offers private apartments in a range of sizes. All offer private bathrooms, many windows and beautiful views.

Visit today and see if Scott-Farrar is the right community for you or your loved one.