The Montclare Senior Residences - Chicago, IL

Beautiful apartment!

The apartment that we are in is great and beautiful and we love it here. The people are super friendly and nice and always speak when you walk by. The office staff on the other hand are not so friendly. I believe that they need to keep some permanent management because things are just not organized. The food is not good and is sometimes cold.

Not a good choice at all

I hate to break the bad news but this place is not good at all. My In-laws moved back to Illinois and we chose Montclare because my husbands grandmother lived out her days there some years ago. Back in the early 2000's we found it a great gem although it is in a sketchy neighborhood.- I would know as I grew up in this neighborhood. My mother worked for 16 years at the restaurant across from the old Brickyard Mall. The neighborhood is worse now and the building is too. Often times there is no real security to the building lobby other than an elderly volunteer. There was recently a gruesome murder in the building and the residents are treated like schoolchildren. They are not allowed to speak in passing in the halls. They may not gather to sit in the lobby to chat at all before being chased off. They removed the park benches out front where residents used to sit and laugh and catch up and get fresh air as many cannot travel far because of being older. There are only a few small benches in the 20x20 garden area- where pets are not allowed.- yet they are allowed in the building. So in other words in order for your elders to have a small dog, they are forced to walk it off the property where there is no security. When my mother in law passed and my father in laws income was cut in half, he often went without food to pay his rent because they have no issue evicting residents and telling them this. In fact one of my father in laws best friends in the building was just evicted without ANY reason. He is an elder and has no family. We are helping him find a new place. I finally had enough two months ago and convinced my father in law to move in with us. He is now finding he has more freedom living with us where he is treated as an adult with respect than at Montclare. When we look for Senior communities for our loved ones we want cleanliness, activities, social freedom and most importantly safety. Montclare misses the mark on most of these. For the amount of money, one could probably find a truly secured building that treats the residents better. This place is not much better than the average apartment complex.

Kathy Nuss

We are very sorry to read about your family's perceptions of The Montclare Senior Residences. We hope our response below answers any concerns you have.

We are not aware of the details of a resident's death mentioned, but the information possibly reported to your family might had been exaggerated. The Montclare Senior Residences is a designated senior building and, unfortunately, deaths do occur. And, if we do not answer a personal question, it is to protect the privacy of other residents.

Residents are allowed in the community rooms at any time unless a room has been reserved. The management office does not monitor the noise or conversation in any rooms unless they receive a complaint. It is a delight to see people enjoying themselves and the sound of laughter.

The outside front benches were moved because of the state laws regarding smoking close to the main entry way.

Pets are allowed in the building, dogs must be walked through the hallways to the outdoors. We require pet owners to walk their dogs away from the building to try and keep waste down. We do not allow dogs on the patio to show respect for those that are afraid of dogs or would like to sit outside free of pet waste and noise.

There are laws in place for resident rights and we abide by such laws. Eviction is a legal action that is ruled on by a judge and it is not something that occurs often.

In addition, we have been in operation since 2001 and have maintained an average occupancy in excess of 97%. We still have many residents who have been with us since the property opened.

We appreciate your feedback and we apologize for any confusion or misunderstandings.

I Am Glad It Is Going Fine

My mom is doing fine at this community. I find it clean at all times and they have activities available but my mom is not that involved yet. It has been going fine overall and it did take a little time to get everything situated with the administration.

Management & staff is very helpful and are very nice. Listen to your concerns.

they have pets...good location

they have pets...good location

A new adventure!

This is the first time I have moved since 1979. I'm still moving in. However the people have been very at speaking and offering to help. This is the first time I have lived in apt building. I am moving in and downsizing at the same time. So it's going to take time. However I like it so far!

I am on the waiting for 2 bdrm. God k...

I am on the waiting for 2 bdrm. God knows when it will be available.

Wonderful atmosphere. Everyone was w...

Wonderful atmosphere. Everyone was warm and firendly. Did not meet my needs. Too small

The Montclare Senior Residences would like to invite you to visit our upscale Senior Apartment community for qualified residents ages 55 or better. Located two blocks east of Oak Park Avenue and two blocks south of Fullerton/Grand Avenue in Chicago.

The Montclare Senior Residences will change the way you think about affordable senior Living. Tastefully decorated and stunningly appointed, these residences go way beyond the ordinary.

Architects have blended the essence of elegance and style with the need of form and function to create a truly unique environment designed for the comforts, needs and dignity of seniors. Our clean, secure residences cater to the senior lifestyle with activities and events that are both enjoyable and memorable. The Montclare Senior Residences is a place you will be proud to call home!