Dominion Village at Chesapeake - Chesapeake, VA

Dissatisfied with care

Mother fell twice on 3rd day. She was overly sedated and not watched well.
After being hospitalized 2 days, she was still over sedated and fell again on day 8. She was removed on day 10. She was seen by her primary care physician and at that time it was discovered that she was being given two of her medications incorrectly (1-3 times the amount; 2-prn medications being given twice/day).
Staff in charge of medications did not question the increase in medications. I requested calls to physician to review and correct a prn medication being given twice/day.
Mother does report that "the people were very nice".

Five Star Reviews

We take great pride in all our interactions with the residents and family members of Dominion Village at Chesapeake and hold ourselves to the highest standards of care and safety. I am the Executive Director and was sorry we did not meet your expectations of care. Thank you for your feedback as we are always looking for ways to listen and improve. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance in future.

First impression as I drove up, the gounds are in need of some TLC, to include the parking lot. This is a beautiful 40 year old building that from the inside is well maintained. The staff is professional, Ms. [Removed] did a fantastic job of showing off this beloved facility. The rooms are small and nice, as my mom would spend the majority of the time in the lounge area. Residents seem well taken care of.

Working A Positive Direction Now

It was an adjusting process for my mother at first with her move to this community. She is starting to do better now. She had an accident when she first moved into the community, and hurt herself really bad. The staff was quick to help her, and inform me. For the most part the staff is kind, and helpful. They seem to be trying their best to take care of her, and her needs. So far everything is working out pretty well now. Now that things are moving in the right direction, this is a community I would recommend.

I Took A Tour!

The Dominion Village community is very nice, but my only concern is that one of my siblings worked there and was hired, without qualification, to be the activities director. Other than that the place is very nicely run and the people are very friendly.

This is a smaller community. There is a memory community as well as AL community. The building is older so the rooms for the AL community have 1/2 baths and are one open area. A common bathing step-in tub is utilized in the main hallway. I really like the open dining concept when meals are served during a time period but not everyone has to attend at the same time. There are also several choices daily to select on the menu as well as other items if the menu items don't appeal to the resident. They have a hydration station with snacks available.

Best place yet for mom

Excellent place staff very courtiers and caring. Close to home and affordable.

Helping Her Adjust

This community is working out pretty well for my mother in law. She is still adjusting to the community, but the staff is helping her with that. They keep the facility very clean and everything is looks nice. The staff is good and they are very open to us about her care. She is slowly trying some new activities. She is eating well and getting her medication. It really gives us a peace of mind knowing she is safe. They are caring for her very well and I would recommend it.

Not A Locked Facility

The main complaint I have with this facility is that this facility said it was locked. Even though my Dad has a bracelet on that alerted the staff when he went through the doors, it still did not prevent him from leaving. He got away from the facility 6 different times and the last time he was found near a major freeway. After he was sent to the hospital and classified as aggressive, this facility would not take him back. I was still charged for the rest of the month (even after my dad passed away.)

"Home"-Type Environement

I think that they are really attentive to their patients and they always include the families, which is good. It is more of a "home"-type environment as opposed to an institution, so that is another plus.

Very Happy

The food is very good and my brother is very happy here.

Was pleasantly surprised with this community. Small and inviting. More pricy than we can afford and a bit to far from kempsville where we live. I think mom would like it here though. Amenities are extra where included in other properties. Liked it overall though.

Dominion Village is a nice facility. ...

Dominion Village is a nice facility. The food is outstanding. The dining area is set up like a 5 star restaurant. They have good food choices and offer snacks throughout the day. The only issue is the AC. It has bad circulation because of the design when it was installed. It's either too hot or too cold. There's only one thermostat for the entire facility.

Toured on May 10, 2014. Ver...

Toured on May 10, 2014. Very nice. 28 resident capacity in memory care side. 20 resident now. Clean. Low turnover. Memory care workers sign contract of commitment. Can move mom's furniture in, but not large furniture. Semiprivate room would help to stretch her resources. Can name dr. affiliated with Dominion Village as mom's PCP. LPN who works under this PCP visits every other weeks, but comes in when called by Tabatha, Director of Nursing at Dominion Village.

Great Home Environment

Our family is very, very pleased with our selection of Dominion Village at Chesapeake for our Mom. The staff are very friendly, warm and personable; the offer of 2 meal selections for the residents is so special, better than at home; and the environment is very home-like.

They keep him busy and the caregivers are wonderful!

I think they're wonderful! My uncle went through a little rough time with the adjustment but I think anyone who comes from home to a community is going to have a bit of a hard time. He's got a little thing on his wrist because he was trying to leave, but he's not trying to go anywhere any more. They have games and bingo, they keep him busy, they keep him involved. I think his caregivers are wonderful, I went today to drop off his laundry and the caregiver was so nice, she went out on her own to buy some toiletries she thought he needed. It's small, it's like 40 beds so they keep track of him, it's close to home, everybody knows him and the people there are wonderful, I don't hear him complaining about anything.

Great one on one attention

It's all been good, I liked it best from what I had seen. I liked that it was a smaller unit, that they didn't have a nurses desk. Basically they were all there one on one with the residents and have a lot of activities.

Welcome to Dominion Village of Chesapeake, a Five Star Senior Living community! Located in the heart of Deep Creek and easily accessible to all major thoroughfares, we have created a small neighborhood where staff have the unique opportunity to develop relationships with each resident and family. We foster independence in a happy environment and strive to create a home-like setting, which can accommodate your own furniture, if you prefer. We offer private and semi-private rooms, three restaurant-style meals daily plus snacks, Assisted Living with three extra levels of care, a secure Alzheimer’s community in Sara’s Garden, respite care, 24-hour nursing and staff care, daily activities focused on individual lifestyles, linen and housekeeping services and more. All rooms have an emergency call system. We offer diabetic management, incontinence care and special diet accommodations. Our cozy sitting areas, common areas, dining room and living rooms are ideal for social visits with family and friends. Our community is pet-friendly, and Lincoln, our 9-year-old Welsh Cardigan Corgi, is our official mascot. Our residents also enjoy George and Martin, the parakeets, and Sebastian, the Cockatiel!