Friendly Staff and Great Community

Previous Director was unapproachable and unreasonable. She often made promises she never kept. I had witnessed her being short both residents and employees. My mother has lived at Amberleigh for years and the community has seemingly gone down hill the last several years under her leadership. The staff was able to keep the community going without direction and seemed much happier. Recently, they hired a new director who seems to be the complete opposite of previous director and things are looking up. The staff seems happier and residents seem happier and have seen positive changes in the last month.

Was terrific now not recommended

Our mother lived at amberleigh for years before she had to move to the assisted living. It was operated with very fine leadership and the service promises were kept. The director and her managers were honorable and always approachable. The sales pitch wasn't our favorite part but phoney sales is seen everywhere these days. In the assisted living we became unhappy and services were questionable. The DON wasn't happy, tired all the time and the weekend nurses were scarce. The food went down too. Used to be very good , now no longer. Some good some ruined it.

Don’t move in here

Under no circumstances place a loved one in this facility. I have a relative that lives here. The food is awful. No choice even when the food arrives it is NOT as advertised. Food does not in any way shape or form resemble the blown up description. Sometimes it isn’t the food ordered. “ We ran out is the common excuse”. What an insult to these residents. The new director seems to be cutting food costs in order to meet a shrinking budget or she is trying to rise to the top and get noticed by the main office. Thing break down in the apartments and it may take hours to get things fixes. Even in the sweltering heat this summer air conditioner breaks down and it took so long to fix the health of the resident was at risk. Out of fear of retaliation I will not mention the source. My relative is unable to afford other facilities. And she is unable to move. Things need to improve.

Beautiful welcoming area. The Independent Living apartments and hallways were outdated; the curtain swags looked like they must have been lovely in 1995. The kitchenettes were sad with out of date cabinetry and appliances. Did not seem to have a lot of social activities.

Sub par living

We moved Mom to Amberleigh three years ago and it has been downhill since then. They have been cutting corners everywhere. The food has been less than acceptable and now they are offering only one choice per evening. So much for dietary needs. They supposedly clean the apartments but do not do a very good job. The Director of the facility can win an Academy Award for acting. She is all about her and truly does not care about the residents. I would not consider it for my worst enemy.

Not Really Assisted Living

Please beware that Assisted Living at this place is NOT the same as the senior living building. If your loved one needs real Assisted Living do NOT put them in the wrong Amberleigh facility or buy the sales pitch that they are the same thing. If you are transferring, the old place can and will refuse to discharge your loved one into Amberleigh independent living. They were very happy to let us find out the hard way.

Staff has to open my door so I can get out of my room

While on my tour I was shown a one bedroom apartment and that’s what I was wanting but unfortunately, I had to wait because they had no rooms available. When one became available and I moved in, it was at the complete end of a long hallway and it wasn’t even the same model I had looked at. I am in an electric wheelchair and I cannot get out of my apartment. It’s a big frustration because I have to pull my emergency cords to get someone to let me out and they are short staffed as it. I feel so isolated and I cannot get out of my room when I want to.

A good community

Mom likes the food and she has even started to gain some weight back. The staff have been friendly and helpful. She tries to participate in as many activities as she can. She is making friends. The community has a lovely garden with a gazebo that the residents can sit at and enjoy. I would recommend this community.

First choice care

We have been very happy with the care from this community. The staff are nice and the meals are good and they offer a lot of great activies. We like that they come and encourage her to participate. We would recommend this community for all the great care for families

We were ultimately pleasantly surprised but I sure did not expect to be after cooling our heels waiting for an hour in the large common areas of the Independent Living part of the complex. To begin with, this place is BIG! Over 250 residents. This also means they offer a LOT in terms of services, transport, clubs, events. There are 130 staff members!!!The Independent Living side of the facility is large but it is faded, doesn't appear to be as well maintained as it could be (cobwebs on a lamp, spider webs and bugs accumulating in windows, scuffed up furniture, furniture in library not rearranged after vacuuming). Decor is dark, gloomy, 1980s old ladyish. On the brighter side people genuinely 'hang out' together here and participate in a lot of activities together. As we walked along halls we found groups playing cards together, singing, playing piano. Staff were very supportive. The one bedroom we were shown in this wing was drab, looked into a partially covered parking area and we were told all of the Model A one bedrooms looked into parked cars. Model B was nicer with a small balcony, and a bay window in the bedroom; all Model B's looked into the courtyard. There are a lot of common areas. Transit appears to be easy to arrange and there is a big bus as well as a towncar. Most one bedroom units cannot accomodate a washer/dryer and your elderly relative will have to go up a flight to a communal laundrey area. Having them do it for you costs $6 a load. But in this place they don't even do your linens and towels for you. You pay for that if you want it done.

The big surprise came when we walked into the Assisted Living wing, bright, beautiful, tranquil. Complete opposite to the dingy quarters in IL; the apartments feel much more spacious, bright, good storage, etc. AL suites do not have dishwashers but still have full stoves, etc. Again a choice of Model A or B; with Model B seeming larger even though it is smaller. This side has a nurse on staff and on site on every floor 24 hours a day. Medications administered, help with bathing and grooming, and staff make sure they are eating, home for the night, etc. AL residents have their own smaller but newer dining room with same menus, but they can go over to IL for all other activities, transport, clubs, etc. If living in AL they do the laundrey for you.

We will have to find out what they mean by costs for an "individualized care plan" -- they appear to already cover everything. B

Best yet, you can have pets in either wing as long as you look after them; they can also put you in touch with local student dogwalkers.

Only negatives (assuming we put them into AL), you have to pay for cable TV and telephone; first place I have found where cable is additional. Cable is $40 a month, phone $20.

Great place, but could use some improvement

My father's experience at The Amberleigh is going great! This is a wonderful facility. One concern I did have is the fact that, at first, it seemed as if the staff was not quite ready to provide the level of care that my father required. It took a bit of time to get up and running with this.

Elevators

Elevators. They are too often out of service. One of them (the larger one utilized by EMS) has been out of service for nearly 2 months. The "out of order sign" says they are waiting for parts". That's unbelievable.

Very Nice Tour, Good Community

My tour of this community went well. It is a very nice facility. They recently had some work done around the community, and everything looks great. The staff was kind, and friendly. It was a good experience. Unfortunately they were not able to provide the level of caring my mother needed, but my tour was a good one.

Mom Realized IT IS Great

The care has been fine for my mom. They have good care and activities. They are good for my mom. When she was in the hospital, she said she just want to go back. They were much better, people were nice and they had things to do. For me the staff were giving me updates and if I had any questions I knew who to call. The important staff introduced themselves in the beginning.

New home for mom

From the first meeting with [Removed], I learned more important information about the process of moving my mom to enhanced assisted living than anyone had given me before. She was always accessible by phone and made good on her promise to have a room ready for mom within less than a week of our decision. The staff are courteous and helpful. Every effort has been made to make my mom feel welcome and safe. We are new to the facility so still learning.

A great disappointment

Amberleigh is excellent if your parents are looking for a fully independent living facility. There is lots to do and the residents are very social (although I've been told it can be cliquey; think high school cafeteria).
I really wish I knew more about [Removed] experience because mine was the complete opposite. There was no help when my mother began needing advanced care. We had to go outside to find additional caretakers (in fact I was told they were not allowed to provide us with names). The administration was completely unresponsive to the family except when they needed something. Phone calls just simply went unanswered and friendly is not the word I would use to describe any of my personal interactions, except when they were trying to sell us on the facility.
I had heard so many great things about Amberleigh (including these reviews) so it ended up being a great disappointment.
I would definitely not recommend the Assisted Living or Memory Care units, I can't imagine how frustrating it would have been to have such an unresponsive management at that level of care.

Very nice place!

We're very pleased with our experience so far! The staff is accommodating, the facility is beautiful and well kept, and they've got a great variety of activities. I would highly recommend The Amberleigh.

So far so good...

My mother has been in this community for a little over a month and so far everything is great. The staff and aids are all very nice. The building is brand new, and the maintenance does a good job keeping it clean. They offer daily activities that my mother and the rest of the residents enjoy. Overall it's been a great community so far.

A #1 pick for what my father needs

The Administration team is very helpful and friendly and they are genuinely interested in learning about the level of care and support needed for your family member. The staff take a lot of time to learn there clients and really help out where needed. My father and his new wife are in the senior living area but they sometimes need some support and assistance as if they were in Assisted Living. The staff strives to allow the residents as much freedom as possible while maintaining a safe environment. The meals are very good and even a picky eater will find a solid, nutritional meal at every seating. I looked at 17 facilities in the Amherst/Tonawanda area and they were my #1 pick for the level of care my father needs and will need in the near future without the disruption of moving him again to a different facility.

Caring and responsive

They provide a lot of activities but my mom does not participate in them. As a family member, what I appreciate the most, is that when I have a question or my mother has a question they answer it right away.

Attractive, Friendly Facility with Meals and Great Staff

The staff and residents are very friendly. Everyone says hello. The staff learned my mother's name immediately.
The public areas are beautiful and a nice change from staying in the apartment all day.
The meals are very good and served in a lovely dining room.
The servers all greet the residents by name and are very acommodating.
The meals were the deciding factor. Very few places offer meals, except for assisted living, which are much more costly, and more than my mother needed.
There are church services on site.
The grounds have gardens and walking areas for nicer weather. Small pets are allowed, so she was able to bring her cat.

Life of Roberta Toulmin

On behalf of my brother and his family and myself and my family, I would like to extend a great thank you for everything that your facility did to make our mom feel not just comfortable, but to feel as though she has been there for years. From the first greeting my family received at the main desk, to the associates we met, everyone was very professional and warm.

We do wish she had been there a little longer so she could have felt like she was connecting more, but with time being against us, she was made to feel both comfortable as well as welcome.

Nice place overall, a few difficulties

Overall things have gone well with The Amberleigh, it is a clean, nice looking facility, and the staff have all been very friendly and helpful. We have run into a few unexpected difficulties regarding the level of assistance they provide, however. One is example is that we did not realize that their breakfast service is self-service, which makes it very difficult for my loved ones, as they are in wheelchairs and cannot easily transport a tray or reach the items to serve themselves.

would love to live there myself!

I would love to live there myself! they have really been wonderful. They understand that it's a process (sometimes a long and difficult one), and not just a quick decision, and they have been very good helping out with each step of the process.

She loves the place.

It was a rough transition, but they have been very supportive. It's very clean, and the staff has gone above and beyond, so I have been more than happy. She loves the place. The food is pretty good. They don't do a very large breakfast, just like cereal and oatmeal, but a great job on Sunday brunches. If there have been any complaints like a light bulb out or something, they are right on it. It's mostly just about getting used to it.

Review of The Amberleigh Independent Living in Williamsville, NY

Another very nice place which would suit my mom very well. Would be difficult to choose between the various top choice places.

Very nice place!

We've had a great experience with The Amberleigh so far! During the sales process they did an excellent job making sure we had all the relevant information and giving us a good idea of what they were able to provide. And, after moving in, they've continued to be available and informative regarding any questions we've had. I like that they assign an "ambassador" to new residents to help them learn their way around and get a feel for the community. In general I just like feel of the place overall, it has a warm friendly atmosphere and light open areas for the residents to socialize in.

If you love your loved ones, consider other options

I moved my mother here when we moved to Buffalo a little over two years ago. Supposedly the reputation of Amberleigh was that it was the best that Buffalo has to offer for senior citizens. Heaven help the elderly if that is the case because my mother's experience has been terrible. Unfortunately, she has had a series of problems with the cleaning staff stealing things from her apartment and other residents acting in violent manners. She's had other residents run over her feet or run into her with their scooters and most recently was physically attacked by her neighbor at her door as she was trying to enter her apartment last night. This same resident was reported before for a similar issue and was never spoken to by the management about it. The director is on vacation this week so I'm not able to even get an answer as to why she never addressed this woman about her behavior. Amberleigh has no plans to take any immediate action against this woman so now I'm faced with moving my mom out immediately for her own safety -- even the police officer who took our report last night over the latest incident expressed he thinks the resident is violent.

I'm sure this post will get deleted as soon as it's noticed by the management but I will keep re-posting in order to educate those who are considering placing their loved ones at Amberleigh to reconsider their options. It's not a safe environment for your loved ones when the management overlooks violent behaviors by residents and theft by its own employees.

Amberleigh

People working there as well as residents are extremely kind and friendly. the staff will assist you in any way you need.

It's a beautiful place! The staff was very nice.

It's a beautiful place! The staff was very nice. They don't provide care there, it's an independent place. They really do a good job of getting people involved in the activities. They have tons of things to do. It's fairly reasonable pricing as well.

We love them!

We love them! They are pricey, but it's a good bang for the buck. They are loving every minute of it. They are having so much fun, they have so many activities. There is lots of room to walk around, and now she is healthier. The food is good, the ambiance is great. It's where I would go when I get that age if I could afford it, they have a barber shop on site and church on site, and they will take you there if you want to go to a different church. They have a library, just everything. If you don't come down to eat at least once a day, they check on you. They don't double the charge for two people, like most communities do, they only add the other persons' food cost. Utilities are not included. It's a good bang for the buck. It's gorgeous. I would recommend them to anybody. They work with Aid and Attendance.

Great option for respite care!

My loved one was only here briefly for a respite stay, but even in the short time she was there we were very impressed! I'd give them top marks across the board. The staff were pleasant and very accommodating! She really enjoyed herself here (although she had to leave a bit early due to an unexpected illness).

no nurse on site

no nurse on site

A window of life.....

My mom was living at home alone after hip surgery, and didn't have the energy or inclination to cook, clean or do much of anything for that matter. We knew a change had to occur, especially with winter coming to Western New York. We toured a few facilities, but knew Amberleigh would be the best fit for my mom as soon as we entered the facility. The staff was warm and welcoming, and it looked like we were in a fine hotel. Mom wasn't convinced that moving was the right thing for her to do, so we agreed to try it for six months and see how things went. Well, after two weeks, my mom was thrilled to be at Amberleigh, and we were thrilled that she was coming back to life again! She enjoyed meeting new friends and the delicious meals in the elegant dining room, as well as all the activities offered to the residents. We are relieved that she is safe and happy, and enjoying this chapter in her life. They say when a door shuts, a window opens somewhere else, and Amberleigh was truly a window of life and happiness for my mom. I am certain that she would not be in such good shape today if she had remained at home alone, even with her children checking in on her. The social interaction with the other residents, and the caring and friendly staff made all the difference. Fifteen months later, my mom continues to be thrilled to call Amberleigh home, and we feel very fortunate that she is living an active life again.

Excellent quality transition from private home to supervised care

The quality of our parents lives improved immeasurably after moving to Amberleigh. Amberleigh has provided personal attention and service and a community that encourages a whole life at any age. There is a great deal of support, while allowing a high degree of independence.

It's been pretty darn good. It fits a...

It's been pretty darn good. It fits about eighty percent of my mom's needs. My mom likes to cook and not eat in house, but she's pretty fussy. She is able to cook in her own apartment.

too big not assisted living

too big not assisted living

Very impressed. Comfortable living co...

Very impressed. Comfortable living conditions. Affordable.

Facility was very nice. Under consid...

Facility was very nice. Under consideration.

Very clean, lots of space in the apt....

Very clean, lots of space in the apt. Friendly staff and good food. I feel it's a bit large. Care level is low.

Explore new interests at The Amberleigh, where our blend of desired amenities and convenient services offers residents a vibrant lifestyle that encourages health and independence through innovative recreational, educational, health and wellness programs. Our Williamsville, New York, Independent Living community provides comfortable features such as walk-in closets and individual climate controls with the added benefits of emergency call buttons and bathrooms with assist hand rails in all one- and two-bedroom apartment homes. The Amberleigh offers privacy and freedom to live the way residents choose in comfortable surroundings. At the same time, we offer companionship. Say goodbye to the worries of living alone, home maintenance and housework. Say hello to a relaxed lifestyle with weekly housekeeping services, beautifully manicured grounds and recreation and entertainment programming that will impress family and friends. Our residents have the freedom to partake in special Sunday brunches in our tastefully decorated dining room or visit a number of local and chain restaurants surrounding our community less than 30 minutes from Buffalo, NY, and its highly regarded medical services.