Disappointed

I'm disappointed in the 3 star rating.... it should be a 0 star rating!
I beg of you not move your loved one to Oak Shadows.
It was at one time a very nice community and that came to a hault due to a bad business deal. The new "owner" lives on property. He and his daughter "the boss" drink heavily and publicly. The owners personal affairs (literally) are displayed for all to see. He is a crook and a fraud. He has never stepped foot into an assisted living community before Oak Shadows. Someone telling you may not be enough? Ask for his REAL name (I would include but it would show removed) and simply google it or visit the state website (public site) UNDER THE LICENSED NAME. Look up assisted living communities and the citations under the address or zip code. It is not listed under the communities name . If you find it, that will say it all and I have helped at least one person.
The community is deplorable to say the least. Yes, Oak Shadows is a Medicaid community, but there are much nicer, well kept, and well cared for Medicaid communities out there. Do your research, you are not stuck here or out of options! Please, please DO NOT move your family, the people you love to Oak Shadows.

Yeah,right.we need the states help.

U got to be kidding this place is a joke.

Do not put a loved one here

The facility was bought a year ago by a man who made a lot of promises but has not fulfilled them. When the hurricane came through, he tried to deny that the facility was flooded even though there is evidence that proves otherwise. When my brother came back after the hurricane, you could see all of the water damage. In some of the other apartments, there is black mold growing and even slime dripping down from the ceiling. None of my brother’s appliances were working besides the refrigerator and his AC didn’t work either. When I moved my brother out I had to throw everything away like all of his clothes, dresser, bed, and chairs. I had to buy him everything brand new because it was all either infested with bed bugs or it was moldy. The bed bugs I felt was the worst of all. By the time my brother moved out, it was an ongoing saga that had been going on the past year. I actually had to throw away four recliners in that year because the bed bug problem would continue to come back. The bed bugs were actually coming from the assisted living building and I feel so bad for all of the residents there. I was so angry with the owner. I have come close quite a few times in calling the health department because the living conditions are so bad. The only thing preventing me from doing so is that all the other residents would have nowhere to live. The other really bad thing is that when it rains, it floors on the first floor and I wonder what the 2nd floor is like. I have collected up to four gallons of water during one rain storm and even the windows leak like a sieve. I feel so bad for the owner’s two daughters because he actually fired the other management and replaced them with his daughters and they seem to have no clue what’s going on or what to do. They said they received 4 million dollars from the flood damage so they can make repairs but nothing has happened yet to fix the black mold issue. The owner is a [Removed], the food is awful, the service is even worse, and the handyman is pathetic. I feel so sorry for all of the residents and his two daughters. The food itself was never good even though the owner tried to say he changed the menu for the better. The portions are too small and the residents referred to the meat as “mystery meat”. This place has been a nightmare and I would never recommend this facility to anyone.

Horrible

My grandmother used to live at Oak Shadows, and our experience there was terrible. She was without air conditioning for three months during the hottest time of the year, her apartment had roaches, and she was left unattended for long periods of time sitting in her own mess. We took her out on our own and placed her in a safer community. This community may be an alright option for more independent individuals, but for us, it was horrible. Not recommended.

Helpful Staff!!

The staff at this community have been very helpful to my loved one and have provided him with great quality of care. He has a few problems with remembering things from time to time so I like the fact that they are always checking up on him and making sure he is eating his meals. There was a little bit of a hiccup with how things went in the beginning but everything is now running smoothly and we are happy.

Not what we needed!

We thought Oak Shadows was a nice facility but they did not offer what my uncle needed. They could not provide the level of care that he needed, but everyone was friendly there.

Care and concern

This is a great community for my father. The community could use some improvements in the cleaning. The menu seems to be pleasing, My father does not at this time participate in the activiites, but they are offered. We would suggest that other families tour this community for the care of a loved one for care.

Very nice people, but was concerned because of the age of the building. They were having plumbing leakage issues in the activity building and my mom was concerned she would have plumbing issues too. I would give it 3 stars...

Found a place for mom and sister!

I had some difficulty finding a place who would accept my mother and sister as permanent residents, especially one that was affordable. This place satisfies both requirements. The staff is very friendly, and I was instantly made to feel welcome there. The activity room was recently renovated and there is an assortment of activities provided each week. There is a dining room that offers at least one meal per day. For an extra fee, you can have more meals, but there are also kitchens in the apartments. The courtyards are very nice due to the mature landscaping. The apartment rooms are older, but they did make sure to provide new carpet. The neighborhood is older too, but it is close to the medical center. Overall I'm very happy with my choice and both my mom and my sister are doing well there. Their apartment is cleaned and there is a varying level of services offered depending on medical needs.

My mom [Removed] has lived here for almost 9 years. Since the new owners [Removed] and [Removed] have taken over my experience has gone from good to extremely grateful! They have set up daily activities, a gym, library, computer center, yoga, baking and so many interesting new things for us residents to do.

YES RECOMMEND!!!

HAPPY AND HELPFUL COMMUNITY

I live at OAK Shadows with my partner we are happy to know that we are both in good hands. Knowledgable and empathetic staff, with a patience level that most admins don't have. So happy to call them our family.

I would recommend them to anyone searching in the Houston area.

Thanks,

GREAT COMMUNITY FOR LOVED ONES

Love this facility. If you are looking for a place that you trust the people who care for your loved ones OAK SHADOWS is great! My mom lives here and calls it here home. We are comfortable knowing where she lives is safe, engaging and makes her happy again.

[Removed]

Just retirement apartment living. If...

Just retirement apartment living. If we told them what we needed, they would provide.