Sunrise of Plainview - Plainview, NY

Lovely People

We looked at Sunrise, and I thought that the people here were really lovely and helpful. However, they had limited availability here when we were looking. Also, the community seemed a little small; only 17 spots. wanted my loved one to have a lot of social opportunities, so I just did not feel this would be a good fit for her.

Liked it very much. Tour and all questions answered. Very helpful guide.

Tour and options

We toured this community for the care for my mom. The staff was nice, We did not like how they place the residents in different areas of the community.We did not see the menu of the meals that are offered. They do have activities for the residents. We would suggest that families tour this community for the care of a loved one

Great Tour, Informative Community

We had a pleasant tour of this community. It is a nice facility with kind people. From what we saw the community appeared to be well-kept. The staff was kind, and informative. All our questions were answered. Unfortunately they not have any rooms available at the moment. However they were able to help us find another Sunrise on the island that had availability. It was nice of them to accommodate us in that way.

A good tour

This community seemed clean and the people I met were nice. They do offer some daily activities. I think this would be a nice place to take a look at.

All is good!

The staff has been very nice and accommodating to my uncle and my aunt. They really do like it here. They offer a lot of things for the residents to stay active. The food on the other hand can use some work in the flavor department. Other than that all is going well.

Friendly administration!!

The administration at this community was extremely friendly especially the woman [Removed] that gave my loved one and I the tour. The facility was great and very well maintained, I overall have no complaints about this place it just was not the right fit for my loved one.

Both Sunrises were very nicely kept and maintained and equally impressive.

I came and toured this as well as another Sunrise location a few times when I was looking around. Both Sunrises were very nicely kept and maintained and equally impressive. They did not end up being the place we chose but were both definitely worth the look.

Costly but worth every cent

Plainview has exceptional staff to care for the residents and all their needs. The place is always so emaculate when I go down for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I enjoy my time here and I'm glad I picked this facility.

Getting settled in

So far so good. She seems happy. It took some time and it is a big transition, but she is getting settled in. I think things are going much better than they were in the beginning. We have not had any problems with Sunrise.

Nice but costly

Seemed like a beautiful place. Nice large…in fact the Plainview facility is one of the smallest in the Sunrise chain. Depending on the level care needed, it can be very expensive. [removed] Charges for care is extra. My dad has Alzheimers and needs a high level of care. [removed] Since it's an enhanced-care facility, your loved one can "age-in-place." They will accept residents that normal assisted living places do not. The downside is that the average resident seemed very old and not very active. So if you're looking for a residence for an older relative that still has some spunk, this might not be the place.

Friendly, helpful aide staff

Overall our experience with Sunrise of Plainview has been a fairly good one. It is a nice looking place, and the people here are very friendly. I think the aide staff, and the people who work directly with the residents, do a wonderful job. However, I do think that the management could step up and be slightly more involved and interactive with the residents.

Sunrise Senior Living

Please know that we take all concerns seriously and would like to learn more about your experience at Sunrise. Please email Information (at) SunriseSeniorLiving (dot) com with further details so we may follow up. Thank you, Sunrise Team

Toured with Tina. Very very nice. Cost 5-7k per month. Toured with Ann Caroll.

The rooms were a little on the smaller side here.

This is one of the places we toured when we were looking for options. The rooms were a little on the smaller side here. The residents also just seemed to be a little older than my loved one on average.

Great place

I had to find a place for my Aunt who has Alzheimer's. She had been living with me for 5 years before I realized I could no longer care for her in the manner she deserved. A Place For Mom was extremely helpful in finding Sunrise of Plainview for us. They came to our home to evaluate her, I must say they were very kind and understanding of her needs. She is there now for 3 months and is doing great! The staff is very kind and patient with her. I don't worry that she's being abused and I can sleep well at night. I can visit and call anytime to check on her. The place is clean, and the grounds are beautiful. I can't thank them enough for taking a great worry off of my mind.

nice place

I think some of the aids could use a little improvement. Some of them are not very friendly with my mother. Other than that everything has been great. Everyone with just one or two exceptions is incredibly friendly, and it is a very nice place. The dining experience they provide is also quite nice.

Best Staff

The staff is wonderful! I’d give them a ten! We haven’t hit the stage of care where you have to pay for there, but I’m sure when my loved one gets to that stage, I’m sure it’ll be great like everything else they offer. My loved one wishes the activities were a little different, but you can’t always please everyone. The staff is what sold us on that location in Plainview.

They are fabulous!

They are fabulous! My mother is so happy here. I am just thrilled, I am so glad A Place For Mom helped me find it!!

A very good place to put Mom when her dementia nears advanced

My mother was a resident at this Sunrise for about ten weeks beginning in mid-July, 2013. The facility itself is a handsome building that reminded me of a small New England resort. Lots of flowers and set back a sufficient distance from Old Country Road. The interior also more like a bed and breakfast than an institution. My mother described it as "cozy." My mother’s dementia can best be described as moderate at this point. She still knows all her family members and loves to show photos of her great grandchildren.

Several nurses had mentioned Sunrise Plainview very positively. Their dementia unit holds only 19 residents and they have the required state licenses to permit them to keep their residents longer than most others as their dementia progresses. But I had made a serious mistake by not actually seeing the other dementia residents. As it turned out, 16 of the other 18 residents were so advanced in their dementia that they were unable to even converse with another person.
When I would show up to see my mother at various times, I found her almost always alone in the common area facing but not watching the TV. Most of the other residents out at that time appeared to be asleep. One of the main reasons for getting her out of her home had been her social isolation. One Sunday I stopped over at dinner time, when all the residents were out of their rooms. There was quite a din from residents with advanced dementia who were not able to control themselves.

Not the place, I decided, for my mother at her present level of dementia. She did get some social intercourse from the staff. My mother liked almost all the aides in the dementia unit, and they were very friendly towards her. Now and then one of these underpaid foot soldiers of the assisted living army would be testy or impatient. But on the whole I would rate the staff as above average and I have a lot of admiration at the way they handled their poor charges.

Looking at cost, this facility charges a base room fee and adds charges for higher levels of care needed. There were about four levels and my mother was assigned to the highest level, which was very high compared to other facilities. Find out before signing the contract the level to which your Mom has been assigned, what added services are provided at that level, and if those services are all needed.

This review is of the dementia unit of Sunrise Plainview. In my frequent wandering around the main house I saw nothing to create an unfavorable opinion. Their frequent presentation of live music was something to look forward to.

In summary, I think Sunrise is a good choice, although rather expensive, for placing your Mom if her dementia is fairly advanced, and I would consider it again for my own mother as her condition progresses.

Marvelous - Great for Memory Care

Peace of mind wise, I would say it's a 5. Cost wise I've only paid for 2 months and the long term insurance is paying for it now. Right now my parents are on medication management which is a god send for me! One of the reasons I chose them, and I did a lot of research, was because they still have some friends in the area to come visit. Also it was small unit, two stories. I knew they really didn't want to go and I figured it would be an easier transition to a smaller unit and it has been.

I can stay there and I can bring my dog. There are rules and regulations with the dog that I have to abide by and I don't mind that because the minute my mother sees her she calms right down. If something happens with my dad, they will move her to another Sunrise community near me in Massachusettes. I don't have to take that expense. Sunrise has been marvelous. They really do wonders with the Alzheimer's people.

Loved the long term care capabilities

I love it, its immaculate, absolutely perfection. The people are absolutely wonderful, I haven't had one probelm yet. They provide everything, they have a bus that takes them places, they take the residents on outings, they have all the doctors I need in house, they have excellent alzheimers care, a foot doctor, everything my mom needs right now. It's a little expensive but I think I'm getting what I pay for, my bill is always crystal clear; if we ever need less care they adjust the price for that, its never been a problem. I basically chose them because my mom has some dementia, I looked at some others but I wanted to know what would happen as her alzheimers progresses, at Sunrise I don't have to move her to a nursing home and they're able to take care of her up to end of life. Because of that I felt the most comfortable there and they come and check on her 6/7 maybe even 8 times a day so theyre around all the time.

I Highly Recommend It!

We're very happy and my mother-in-law is very happy. I think the price is reasonable for the level of attention and the amenities. It's a good value.

My mother-in-law doesn't participate in the activities but there are a lot offered. They do things with music and movie nights and I believe they do games and things like that.

If anybody that I knew was looking for a recommendation of a place I would certianly highly recommend it. They do a very good job and seem to be very caring and attentive to the residents.

Excellent facility but resident would...

Excellent facility but resident would have to be moved to skilled nursing eventually.