Summer Place - Chelmsford, MA

Nice place- everyone was very friendly, and it was clean and welcoming.

visited on 10/20. nice facility. may go for lunch with mom. transportation to/from St. Mary's

Dingy Place!!

I had recently taken a tour of this community for my parents and I was not impressed at all of what I had seen. I ended up not even taking my parents to look at it after my first impression of the facility. It was a very depressing atmosphere and felt like I was in a ghost town when I had walked in. Everything was out of date and the carpets as well as the wall paper just seemed like it had not been changed in decades. Another thing I was not very pleased with was the staff. They where not very professional during our visit and just was not flexible in any of the questions I had for them. I would not want my parents living in a place like this one.

Holiday Retirement

Hello Jasmine, my name is Katie, I work for Holiday, and while I am very sorry to hear these comments and reflection on your experience, I would like to sincerely thank you for sharing them with us. We want to make Summer Place the best possible place to work for our employees, and can not do that with your open and honest feedback. I am going to take these comments regarding appearance and professionalism and share them with the appropriate parties; but please, if you have additional feedback, we would really like to hear from you. Thank you so much, Jasmine, for reaching out and sharing this with us. We hope you have a wonderful rest of your day. --Katie

Good Tour Of This Community

We toured this community for my sister, and her needs. We had a pleasant tour. Everyone was kind to my family, and I. The community was clean, and appeared to be well maintained. It was a good experience, but we did find another community that my sister was more fond of.

Lovely Tour, But Not The Right Fit For My Love One

I had a nice tour of this retirement community. Everyone was kind, and friendly to me. The community was nice, and clean from what I saw. The staff I met was kind, and helpful. They answered my questions, and the experience went well overall. Unfortunately my love one needed more care than they were able to provide.

They Moved Out

We moved out of this community, it was a bad experience for us.

Holiday Retirement

Hello, my name is Katie, I work for Holiday, and while I am very sorry to see this comment, I would like to sincerely thank you for sharing it with us. I'd love the chance to speak with you to learn more about your experience and understand the reasons for your move. We want to make Summer Place the best possible place to retire, and can not do that without honest and sincere feedback such as yours. We sincerely hope and look forward to speaking with you, and hope until then that you do well! Thank you so much. --Katie

Good Tour, but too Expensive

This is a nice community, and my tour of it was a good one overall. From what I saw the community looked, everything was well maintained. The staff was friendly, and kind. There were many factors that played into where to move my loved ones too. Their prices were to expensive for our budget.

A nice community

I thought this was a nice community when I visited. The person that took us on tour was nice and helpful. The community seemed clean. This community does not really offer assisted living. They have a base price and then they have additional charges for other services that may be needed.

I would recommend Summer Place!!

I tried the food at this community it was ok but I felt like it was a little salty. The community is clean and well taken care of. I think they could use another elevator. Mom likes some of the daily activities and the patient staff are good at encouraging her to participate.

A place to retire

From the very first time I visited Summer Place I was impressed by the professional manner we were treated.
Very friendly and accommodating. Extremely informative
on how the place is running. My aunt is enjoying all the
wonderful things that are offered. I feel very comfortable
having her stay at Summer Place.A place

Tracey and I went 8/1 and met with Robert. The place was clean, smelled good because it was lunch time. The cafe had many people. The one bedroom (580sq.ft)was spacious and comfortable. Patio/porch is available too. Walking distance from mini mall and liquor store. Trips are every Wed. Popcorn is made daily. You can bring your own wine to dinner. Downside-no next-step care.

Great perks - guest room available, time share options

Areas of concern: no designated parking, mandatory meal times

Good Job Caring For Mom

They are doing a very good job of caring for my mother. This community is great it looks nice and clean my mothers room is always clean when I come visit.The staff is good pretty friendly. There are activities through out the week for the residents. My mother thinks the food is okay, but I have noticed it is a well balanced meal. I would recommend this community with caution due to management.

Karen was very helpful and informative and reiterated all that Mary Ann had told me originally on the phone. I found Summer Place clean, but had two concerns:
1 - strong cigarette smoke smell in one corridor off dining area; was advised that residents are allowed to smoke in their apartments;
2 - since we toured on Wednesday, there were only about 20 people in the dining room which surprised me... could not get a real feel for the types of residents that live here. Overall appearance was very nice and was told that common areas are in process to be updated in the fairly near future. I was actually very disappointed when I read the reviews from residents and their families on the issues being experienced, especially with management turnover rate.

Very clean and friendly

For the amount of money your paying this is the best quality. It was very clean and friendly. The apartments are great compared to others. It's very clean. The staff is very kind and helpful.

Management is weak on communication, follow-through and caring.

My dad lived there from June to August, 2014 and I live 2 miles away. When I first toured the place I thought it was great. But, once you move in you find out the management turns over frequently and apparently does not communicate with each other after a shift. Dad was disappointed numerous times when management made promises they didn't keep. Also, he asked 4 times that the handy man come to hang a heavy mirror for him; it never happened. When he left I was told it would take about 2 weeks for corporate to return his deposit. Well, it is now December and he still doesn't have it. I have made 3 or 4 calls and stopped by in person twice. Dad wrote them a letter. Except for the last time I went there, I was told the manager would look into it and get back to me. No one ever did. Today I lucked out with a friendly female manager who phoned and emailed corporate on the spot. A check had been sent on Oct. 2, but mailed to the Summer Place address. Since he no longer lived there the check was sent back to corporate. No one followed up on either end. I gave this manager the correct address and am waiting to see if dad receives a check - or not.

It was ok

My dad has only been there in Summer Place for about a month, so I don't have a ton of experience to go on. The staff and the residents are very friendly. The value is ok. It is a bit of an older place and a bit run-down. It was ok.

I don't like the place at all.

I don't like the place at all. When we first went in there the manager was very nice and helpful. They go through managers like nothing else. They have had 2 managers come up from Florida twice. I feel like all they want is to make money. There was a leak in the bathroom, and they didn't fix it for over a month. The other residents are terrible there, they will come to my mother and tell her you need to move that's my table. Then the manager took the table away that she sat at, that they had to give her table away, that she would have to move, and then when she moved two other ladies made her move. The other residents won't talk to you if you smoke. The shuttle van has been broken. It looks nice and it's very expensive, but they don't try to make her feel comfortable. There aren't a lot of happy people here.

Management needs to turn things around

A relative of mine has been a resident of Summer Place for about a year. In that time there have been numerous managers that stay as little as a few months and then leave. As new managers come and go the quality of services and food declines and they become less responsive to addressing resident concerns. The residents have been treated like children when they complain about decreases in services. The management is unresponsive to resident’s complaints and tells them to come see them individually so they can quell the complaints - divide and conquer. They have meetings to air their concerns and the present managers apparently have decided to run things their own way regardless of the fact the residents are paying increased rents. The amount and choices of food is less than it was a year ago. A recent meal I shared with my relative had a pork chop 3/8ths of an inch thick, 2" by 3" and dry as a bone. There was a scoop of mashed potatoes the size of a melon ball scoop - NO exaggeration! I seriously doubt the meals satisfy the daily nutrition requirements as the portions are extremely small. Their website boasts “3 meals a day” but it would take 2 days to get 3 FULL meals. The quality of food has seriously declined in the last year. I can't believe that the corporate offices allow this treatment and mismanagement to continue or maybe corporate IS the problem forcing the managers to squeeze more profit out of the facility and that is why they can’t keep managers in the place. I also notice how responsive they are to counter some negative reviews I found online but they refuse to acknowledge the residents and try to make them happy as their website boasts.

Not have a great experience

Our loved one has been here for a brief time, but unfortunately he doesn't seem to be enjoying himself. The facility itself is nice enough, it is clean and well kept, and they do a good job with the food. However, he's had some issues come up, and he doesn't feel like the management has been very communicative or responsive to his requests. He doesn't feel like he is getting very good service for the amount of money he is paying.

Holiday Retirement

Thank you for noticing our attention to maintaining a clean and safe community, and we do take pride in our food service. Our executive chef is wonderful! We're sorry to hear that your loved one feels management has been unresponsive to his requests. We actually have a team, Resident Relations, that is dedicated to resolving these issues. Feel free to reach out to them if you'd like.

I felt Summer Place was ver...

I felt Summer Place was very nice. One thing I did not like, there is no reception area and I was able to wander around unnoticed for several minutes until a maintenance man brought me to see Kathy.

summer place is a joke they...

summer place is a joke they want 3,395.00 A MONTH FOR A 1 BEDROOM APPT ????????

Holiday Retirement

Summer Place provides excellent value for the price. Remember, our monthly rent includes utilities, linen service, scheduled transportation, a robust calendar of activities and events, and, most of all, three delicious meals a day! Our rates are comparable to many other senior living communities, and we offer the best value for the services and amenities provided.

Staff were very helpful and we enjoye...

Staff were very helpful and we enjoyed delicious lunch with 2 residents who seem happy there. Liked facility and relaxed atmosphere very much.

History comes alive at Summer Place. Located in the heart of Chelmsford, the town square dates back to the 1600’s and we’re just ten minutes from Walden Pond. Beyond heritage, you’ll enjoy the convenience of being a short distance from shopping, healthcare, wonderful dining and many unique regional destinations.

Our all-inclusive month-to-month rent covers:
- Three delicious and nutritious chef-prepared meals from scratch
- A variety of enriching activities
- Weekly housekeeping and linen service
- Transportation
- Most utilities

Friends in 300 places

Built with your comfort and safety in mind