Sterling Commons - Victorville, CA

Facility is beautiful but strictly for memory care

I toured this facility while looking for a place for my Mother. This community is really nice and looks beautiful. The person who gave me the tour was wonderful and had reached out to me quite often to follow up. She was really helpful in trying to help me find another place for my mom. This was the runner-up choice but for her, however, this is only a memory care facility and my Mother did not qualify. This community is for the more advanced residents. I would recommend them to other families.

Koelsch Senior Communities

Sterling Commons Memory Care Community is beautiful, and we appreciate your five-star review and recommendation. We will pass along your compliments to our teams and happy to read how helpful we were in communicating. I hope you find the perfect place for your mother. If you have any more questions, we would be grateful if you would call Debbie, our Executive Director.

Nice Tour!!

I had recently taken a tour of this community for my loved one and I have no complaints of how things had went. The staff where on time to our appointment and made sure to answer any questions I had for them in detail. I thought they had a nice open floor plan and great amenities for the residents. It was just not the right fit for my husband in the end decision.

Koelsch Senior Communities

We appreciate that you took the time to tour and write a review for Sterling Commons Memory Care Community. I will pass along your compliments to our teams and thank you for commenting on our open floor plan and great amenities. As the memory care experts in the high desert, if you find you have any more questions, we would be grateful if you would call Debbie, our Executive Director.

Not Impressed But They Gave A Good Tour

It was horrible, you could smell pee. It was strong. They are suppose to take care of the people who may not remember to use the restroom. My dad said no way when he smelled the community. Other than that, the presentation and knowledge of the facility from the staff was good. The smell just gave us a bad experience.

Koelsch Senior Communities

Thank you for touring and providing your thoughts for Sterling Commons Memory Care Community. I am sorry that you and your dad were not impressed and had a bad experience. I will pass along your feedback to our teams. We hope you find a perfect place for your dad. If we can serve you in any way, we would be grateful if you would call Debbie our Executive Director.

The hardest, yet the best decision I could have made!

I want to share my journey with anyone caring for and considering placing their loved one. Placing a parent, my father, was and continues to be the hardest decision I made in my life!! Dementia and Alzheimer's not only affects the afflicted, it affects those closest to the person just as much if not more. I say this because the patient has no real grasp of what is going on and you the caretaker are stepping in and making decisions on behalf of them and you may question and even have guilt over placing your loved one and everything else that comes along with your decision. It has taken me a little over a year to come to grips with placing my father and I believe I will live with some type of guilt throughout my life. What made things easier for me was seeing my father out of bed where he would lay in bed for days at a time at home. To see him sitting and conversing with others his age was wonderful. Seeing the color in his face come back due to eating three meals a day where at home I was cursed at for trying to get him out bed to eat with us. To see him get a shower regularly unlike at home where he may have showered twice a month because that was yet another fight and where I would be cursed at for even trying to get him into the water! At home I was certain that one day I would come into his bedroom and find that he passed, he was not living in his own home, he was just existing. When it became more than apparent that my daughter and I could no longer care for him because neither of us were doing him justice by keeping in him in his own home, I was emotionally beaten up by him and had to keep reminding myself that its the disease speaking, not my father but I couldn't make the separation! My daughter and I cared for him for over 8 years with no outside help or any help from other family members, no one came to visit him and he was on lock down because we feared he would walk away during the night while we slept, he almost burnt the house down on more than one occasion, it was bad! You become selfish and want to keep them in their home but sometimes that just can't happen as in our case! The last doctor's visit I took my father to I was told by the doctor, your father has never looked better, his color is great, his blood pressure is considerably down, his weight is down, his medication was adjusted and he praised the care he is receiving! My father calls Sterling Commons home now and every week when he comes to our home for dinner he'll say after sometime, "Can someone take me home now?" To know that he is okay makes us ok! The family members that never came around or understand the disease criticize my decision and stopped speaking to me which makes it difficult because you love them but at the end of the day I have to remember that Sterling Commons made my father pleasant to be around again and actually gave him back his life and surely are extending his time here with the care he is receiving! I hope this helps anyone struggling with placing a loved one and remember that it will never be easy but it's the most humane thing you can do for them! God Bless!

Koelsch Senior Communities

Thank you for sharing your heartfelt story of your father and recommending Sterling Commons Memory Care Community. We will pass along your kind words to our teams and so blessed to learn that your loved one is living again. I appreciate that you shared your message on this platform for others who may be struggling with the same tough decisions. If we can serve you in any way, we would be grateful if you would call Debbie our Executive Director.

I would recommend this community.

This is a good place for a respite stay. Mom has stayed here a few times and the staff have been friendly and helpful. She likes the daily activities including the music and dancing. She loves the food and they keep the community clean. They have nice grounds to enjoy. They take pictures of your loved one participating in the activities and send them to you.

Koelsch Senior Communities

Thank you for recommending Sterling Commons Memory Care Community. We will pass along your friendly and helpful compliments to our teams and specifically the Director of Activities. I am happy to read that your mom likes the music and dance programs. If we can serve you in any way, we would be grateful if you would call Debbie our Executive Director.

Wonderful Place

sterling commons is a wonderful place the staff is always very helpful, kind, and understanding My mom is in the day program and I feel at ease knowing she's in good hands the atmosphere is very calm and soothing and my mom is happier she loves to socialize and interact with the other residents as well as the staff whom she often refers to as her friends the staff is very attentive to the needs of both my mother and I and always willing to go the extra mile to help me cope with our daily challenges I would like to thank the staff for their care and compassion

Koelsch Senior Communities

Paula, thank you for writing this review of Sterling Commons Memory Care Community. We love hearing that your mom is having a wonderful time in the day stay program. I will pass along your compliments to our helpful and kind teams. It is a blessing knowing that they go the extra mile. Sterling Commons does have a soothing atmosphere and happy to read that your mom is socializing and interacting with the residents. If we can serve you in any way, we would be grateful if you would call Debbie our Executive Director.

A great place for my father

My father was recently placed in Sterling commons. The process was quick, easy and highly efficient. The staff welcomed him with open arms and [Removed], the director of community relations was the best. She was helpful, kind and truly amazing. My father enjoys the meals and he seems to be so much happier. The atmosphere is truly wonderful. I am so happy that we were able to find a care facility where the people really seem to actually care, not to mention the cleanliness of the home. A+.

Koelsch Senior Communities

Denise, thank you for writing this thoughtful review and giving Sterling Commons Memory Care Community an A+. I will pass along your compliments to our staff, and glad to hear that our Director of Community Relations was amazing throughout the process. Reading that your father is happier is terrific. If we can be of any further assistance, please contact the Executive Director.

Sterling Commons Memory Care

My father was a resident at Sterling Commons from April 2016 until his peaceful passing in December of 2016. The staff were so caring and compassionate! They customized his care to his ever changing condition. I visited as often as possible and was so very impressed with the excellent care and calm, kind approach each staff member displayed toward their residents. My father enjoyed the musical presentations so very much! I feel so blessed to have found such a great facility!

Koelsch Senior Communities

Mary, thank you for the opportunity to have served your father here at Sterling Commons. We are sorry for your loss, yet grateful to read that our staff was always caring and compassionate. We will share your review with all of our teams and ensure that our Director of Activities learns how much your father enjoyed the musical presentations. If we can be of any further assistance, please contact the Executive Director.

Did Not Like The Set Up

I was very disappointed, for being an Alzheimer facility they had a communal bathroom in the hallway. They should have their own bathroom for no confusion or to not use someone else's toothbrush. They had too many people living there. They gave me a good tour but I did not like the place.

Koelsch Senior Communities

Thank you for writing a review and touring Sterling Commons Memory Care Community. I would like to apologize that we did not communicate several important areas. Studies have shown that most falls occur in bathrooms and showers. Therefore we have limited these occurrences with shared bathrooms; our residents can go to the bathroom on their own or with assistance from our staff. Each resident has a private sink in their room for personal hygiene. We hope you find a perfect place for your loved one and if we can be of further assistance, please contact the Executive Director.

Review of Sterling Commons - Victorville, Ca

I and my family would like to thank Debra, Debbie, Patty, and all the caring caregivers for the outstanding care our Dad received at your facility. As you are aware, we had him transferred from another care facility, due to lack of quality of care, lack of concern by management and caregivers. Because of this experience, we were apprehensive as to the quality of care he would receive at Sterling's. Our apprehension was so laid to rest.

The concerns for our Dad's well-being - from management, caregivers, to all personnel we encountered at Sterling's - were outstandingly met. We felt we were not alone in our Dad's progression of Dementia. We had an extended family seeing to our Dad's welfare, and concern of the family's well-being. Everyone went out of their way to be helpful, and always pleasant to the family. Even though our Dad, at times, displayed anger at those who were caring for him they understood it was not directed at them, but could find humor in the situation..

As our Dad neared the end of his life, everyone at Sterling's was kind and supportive. The fresh coffee and breakfast rolls for those of the family who spent the night or were in early to be with Dad were greatly appreciated. Someone would check in and see if we needed water, food, and many times it was a much needed hug and "we will be nearby if you need anything."

We, as a family, can only thank everyone from the bottom of our hearts for the gentleness, soft words of kindness, and the respect for the family and for our Dad that was ever present as our Dad's life ended.

My family and myself send their deepest gratitude to all who were involved in caring for my Dad, Harry [removed].

Koelsch Senior Communities

Cammie, thank you for sharing your dad’s story and writing a thoughtful review for Sterling Commons. We have sent your comments to share with our teams. Dedication to the care of our residents is a top priority, and we love knowing that your dad, his family and friends received such great service. Our friendly and professional staff ensures a high level of compassion and dignity to every family situation and in the hardest moments, a hug can mend a lot of hurt. We are happy we had the opportunity to have served your dad and his family.

Exceptional Care Givers

The care they give is exceptional. I'm so happy that my husband is getting the care he needs with the affection from the staff at Sterling Commons. They are very helpful and show a lot of compassion for the people they are caring for. They are very helpful with the family as well. My husband could not be in a better place. I want to Thank the staff for being so caring and thoughtful.

So far it's going great!

So far it's going great! It looks homey, and the people there really care. When I have questions, if the person doesn't know, they find someone who does. The food looks pretty good from what I have seen. I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Wonderful place for seniors with memory issues

My father has been living at Sterling Commons since May 2015. It's a wonderful place! It's very clean and homey, comfortable and welcoming. But the very best of Sterling Commons is the staff. Everyone there is caring, efficient, and professional at every level. Even the housekeeping staff know the residents and interact with them. I've seen staff members stopping in their path just to talk to or hug one of the residents. Also, they have such patience with all of the residents, which I know can be difficult with someone who has memory issues, and in my father's case, hearing issues as well.
They are available at any time for phone calls, and are prompt and thorough in their responses. There's a nurse on duty 24 hours, which is very reassuring.
My family and I have had such peace of mind since my dad went to live there. We know that Dad is being taken care of in the best possible way, and that Sterling Commons is the best place for him.

I think they could improve a little bit on the caretakers. For the amount, it seems the workload has been pretty heavy for the ladies. They seem to manage, but it seems they would be more responsive if they had a little more help.

Koelsch Senior Communities

Thank you for your review for Sterling Commons Memory Care. We are proud of our staff and committed to providing outstanding care for our residents. Our caregivers are excellent and work hard at meeting the many needs that arise as they care for the residents at our community 24/7, 365 days a year. Our staffing includes professional, 24/7 nurses, and we maintain full staffing that meets the needs of the acuity level of our current residents. There can be moments of challenge, since the needs of our residents can change from one moment to another, but our team loves what they do, are committed to excellence, and consider it an honor to serve.

Sterling Commons

My Mom has been at Sterling Commons for almost 3 years. The facility is very clean and accommodating. By far the nicest facility in the high desert. The staff is always very helpful and understanding of her situation. Alzheimers is a complex condition with many different situations. The staff is flexible to her's and the other residents needs. We are grateful to Sterling Commons for giving us the comfort of knowing Mom is secure and safe so that we can do some traveling and enjoy our retirement.
The Director always has an open door to discuss issues or suggestions.

The Nobles Family

Amazing Care

I cannot recommend Sterling Commons high enough. The facillity, caregivers, staff and administration all treated our family with love and respect. I only wish we had moved my Mother to this home years earlier.

A safe home...

Sterling Commons is my Grandfather's home! It is a beautiful and clean community with all the personal details. He feels comfortable there and most importantly, I know that he is safe. He also takes his prescribed medication and stays active. He especially loves all the activities! When you add up all that Sterling Commons provides on a daily basis, the monthly rate is worth every dollar. Shouldn't your final years be spent on truly living life and doing it worry free with helping hands that provide tender loving care as a family member would?

Before Sterling Commons, I was taking care of my Grandfather the best I could. I wanted to fulfill his wishes of dying in his home and not in a hospital bed or convalescent home as his own mother did. You can be rest assured that Sterling Commons is not a sterile, cold facility where you are overlooked. It is truly a warm and inviting home with activities and companions that are of Grandpa's age. He's happy and so am I.

Thank you Sterling Commons for your support!

My Wife at the Sterling CommonsOne Year

My wife has been residing at the Sterling Commons for one year this month. The setting is lovely and the staff is caring and supportive of the my wife and responsive to me. I am notified immediately of incidents, both positive and negative. Recently, my wife, who has been nonverbal began to speak. I received a call from the staff notifying me of the occurrence and I was able to visit with her while she was conversant. I have been concerned about marginal staffing levels and have expressed my concerns. My complaints were received in a positive manner and I am led to believe that a reorganization is to take place that will make significant contributions to increased staffing. While no placement is the same as having my wife home, the "Commons" is a safe and comfortable place.

Review of Sterling Commons in Victorville, CA

I wish to take this opportunity to express my gratitude for the kindness and wonderful care provided by you and your staff during my wife, Charlotte's, stay at Sterling Commons. You cheered and encouraged me with your wonderful smiles and hugs each time I visited Charlotte and did all you could to make her comfortable.

You and your staff provided a wonderful service in the care of those in need. I wish all of you continuing success and once again thank you for the difficult services you provided in our community. You both helped me get through on of the hardest times in my life, and for this I offer my most sincere thanks.

We transferred my step Mom from WA to Sterling Commons to be closer to her family. The staff is friendly, helpful, and professional and have been wonderful.

Review of Sterling Commons in Victorville, CA

I toured every Memory Care in the High Desert searching for my mother. I found Sterling Commons to be the best place for my mother. I am impressed with their concern and care for not only my mother, but myself and what we are going through as a family. It is a beautiful caring facility and our family hopes to place my mother there when the time comes.

Review of Sterling Commons in Victorville, CA

I would like to thank Sterling Commons for the excellent care my Mother, Dolores, received for 14 months while she was at Sterling Commons. The entire staff, receptionist to the newest hire was respectful, compassionate and loving toward her always. Te staff is well-trained and courteous. I believe that emanates from their leader, Debbie Staggs, an exceptional person and a great leader.
Thanks again for providing such good service at an affordable price.

I really like this facility. I use them for day care & respite. I feel confident that my mom will be safe & taken care of. Not cheap but nice, clean & caring people. Will consider full time move when needed. Only drawback is the cost.

Review for Sterling Commons in Victorville, CA

Debbie Staggs (Executive Director) is proactive with resident care. She ensured my father was involved and stimulated mentally. Debra Nealin (Community Relations) is the primary reason we selected Sterling for our father.
The staff (Juan, Seven, Elaine) really seem to care about our father. The management staff are caring and proactive in their planned care.

Review of Sterling Commons Memory Care in Victorville, CA

This is a letter of heartfelt thanks to the staff of Sterling Commons. My husband, Bill, was under their care for six months while he struggled with Alzheimer's. During his final week they allowed our daughter and me to be with him day or night for as long as we felt the need to be there. Every staff member, on every shift, was sensitive to any of our needs and their compassion was beyond belief. When Bill passed, each staff member came in to say goodbye, and were there for us until all was finished. Sterling Commons is a clean, well-run facility and I am so thankful for their excellent care and concern from the day of his chick-in until he took his final breath.

We chose Sterling Commons for my fath...

We chose Sterling Commons for my father -in-law. Very well run , clean, super friendly. Not cheap but less than a nursing home & much more of a home atmosphere.

Looked great

This place looked very nice, and would have been our first choice, but it was a little too far, and the price was higher than what we were hoping for. Everything looked great during our tour, however, and I really liked that they had 24 hour nursing staff.

Understanding, Helpful and Professional

The staff at Sterling Commons have gone above and beyond to help us place our mother in the Memory Care Unit. Upon our first visit to view Sterling Commons we were warmly greeted and given a tour of the facilities. My brother's and I were highly impressed with the care, cleanliness, and attention the residents were receiving. The decision to place our mom was made eaiser knowing she would be in professional, safe and loving care environment 24hrs a day. Transitioning our mom was a difficult and the staff at Sterling Commons went above and beyond to assist us with getting mom in to the community at the facility.

Like the atmosphere but to expensive ...

Like the atmosphere but to expensive and not enough care givers for all the people they had there.

This place was very nice and clean bu...

This place was very nice and clean but behind the doors where the residents lived was the smell of urine. It could of been because of the time we came for our visit. We will go back with Mom soon to check out the smell and so she can make a choice on where to place Dad. She is seeing that this needs to happen for both of their well being very soon. We have an appointment for him to see his primary doctor this week and will have the doctor fill out the necessary paperwork to begin the process. I will keep you posted.

Sterling Commons is just five miles east of Interstate 15, nestled in the High Desert community of Victorville. Only a stones throw from the prestigious Spring Valley Lake, Sterling Commons offers beautiful views of the picturesque Victor Valley and the surrounding mountains. Sterling Commons features activity areas, a private courtyard, a raised garden for residents and walking paths in a gated environment. The nurturing environment gives residents optimum freedom in a warm, home-like environment, with beautiful antiques and familiar decor to recall times past. We invite you to bring your own furnishings and personal items to create a familiar atmosphere.

24-hour on-site licensed nurses provide tailored services suited to the individual resident’s needs. Providing a stimulating environment, where activities and interaction among the residents are encouraged, helps to maintain optimum levels of function for each individual. Therapeutic art, crafts, baking, and pet therapy are just a few of the activities that provide sensory stimulation and help maintain functional skills.

We focus our energies on activities each resident can do, rather than those they can no longer perform. Our goal in our nurturing environment is to preserve dignity and maximize independence while respecting family concerns. In short, we accommodate the behavior associated with Alzheimer’s rather than control it.

Family Partnerships are formed with the family of each resident. We work toward a common goal – to provide the same level of care, compassion and attention your loved one would receive at home. In order to accomplish this, we look for guidance from family members regarding any specific needs and preferences which will smooth the transition for your loved one. Visits by family and friends are welcome anytime and comfortable quiet rooms are always available.