Silvergate Retirement Residence - San Marcos, CA

My Tour

The tour I had was fine. It was a good view of the community. Everything is saw was good. I was looking for a place that was more small with the homelike atmosphere. The person I met with was nice and professional.

Difficult at first

Very overwhelming experience. But we have learned a lot through trial and error. We had had a rough start at the beginning with getting mom settled. At first, some of the nurses were not very friendly and it was difficult to communicate our concerns. We did have a meeting to straighten out the issues and it seems to be going much smoother now. The food seems to be okay I have not dined there myself. This is a clean community I would give it a four star. We are now in the process of looking for another community where her dog is allowed.

i Loved the Tour

We loved it and loved everything about the community. I loved that it was smaller with lots to offer but they were very black or white. Either you have no memory concerns and can go into the Assisted side or if you do have memory concerns, you would go into the Memory Care side. I didn't like the set up for the Memory Care,
we loved the Assisted Living side. I wasn't sure that my mom would qualify and stay there. I didn't want to move her again after paying for a community fee.
The residents were more high functioning. After the tour they sent us flowers and followed up with us, they were really wonderful.

Community for care

I like this community for the care for my brother's care. We like the staff at the home feeling community. This community is smaller and we are happy with that.My brother is happy with the menu of excellent meals that are offered. He is offered to do the activities and in time hope he will try and participate at a later time. We would recommend this great care.

I Toured and I Liked The Community

My mom is doing great living in this community. This was the only one I toured and went with it. It has been good so far. A Place For Mom did a great job for showing me a location that I was unaware of.

A tour for mom

I toured this community for care. The staff is nice and understanding. The community is clean and offers a lot to the residents for good care. The list of activities would be helpful. They do not allow pets and that was something that was requested. We would recommend that families tour this community for care for a loved one.

Friendly staff!!

Overall, Silvergate Retirement Residence was a very nice community. The staff was very nice and welcoming, and the our guide have us good information. The facility was clean and seemed to be maintained very well.

Good impression.

We toured this community when looking for my loved one. It was very nice and we liked it very much. The only downside was it was very far away from my home.

I was shown around by a person who was assigned at the last minute. The facility was nice but nothing outstanding. Our tour guide concentrated on telling us how much additional everything costs. There was too much emphasis put on cost and not eough on quality. I will not consider this as one of our options.

Second Choice!

The Silvergate Retirement Residence was very comparable to the community that we ended up going with. During my tour, I noticed that it was very clean and well maintained. Everyone was very friendly and knowledgeable.

Recommended

This tour went very well. The staff was outstanding and very helpful. I was pleased with the meals and the variety. They offered alot of activities. The community was more then what we could afford, but it was very nice overall.

Nice Community, My Tour was A Good One

My tour went well of this community. I was showed around the community, and from what I saw everything looked nice and well-kept. The staff was kind and helpful. It was a nice tour, no problems during it. This is a nice community with kind people.

Friendly Staff!!

The tour guide was very knowledgeable and attentive. During my tour everyone in the community was very nice and showed me around. There was a beautician available, indoor and outdoor common areas, and some activities provided. Healthy proportioned meals are provided as well. Overall, i would recommend a tour of this community to families.

Great Staff!!

The staff at Silvergate Retirement Residence has been providing good care for my mother in law. The activities she's participating in are to a level of comfort. I would recommend this place the staff is attentive and the care for her is good. The community is also kept clean and well organized.

They are very accommodating at Silvergate Retirement Residence!!!

The chef is fabulous and they offer good healthy choices. The community is well maintained and the maintenance guy is great. They offer a lot of activities at this community however mom does not participate in any. Mom is able to move from assisted living to skilled nursing at this community. I would highly recommend this community.

David Nelson

We like seeing our Chef and Maintenance Director get their deserved praise! They make up a great team! Glad to have Mom here with us at Silvergate!

The Best, Can't Say Enough Good Things!

This community is so amazing and clean and managed very well. The staff ratio is 1:4 and the staff are so considerate, genuinely care, and just fabulous! My mother-in-law is in a suite that fits her needs and they bring the activities to her. My mother-in-law has made friends, she has adapted very well and as a family we get a good feeling every time we visit. I have no negative issues and I would recommend this community to anyone!

David Nelson

It's always great to hear that a family would recommend us - it really is the highest honor we could receive.

I Have Already Recommended It My Friends

My mother is doing very well at this community, she seems to have adjusted very well to it. It is a very clean facility, they do a very great job keeping everything very nice and clean. The staff have been very helpful, they are really good at what they do. She is trying many new activities,there are many to choose from. The food is nice, she enjoys the meals. This community is a little more expensive than others. They are caring for her well and I would recommend it.

David Nelson

Great to hear - another success story here at Silvergate!

This location is by far the best choice in my opinion. Everything here appears to be as good or even better then other assisted living facilities that we have visited or seen over the years that we have been preparing for this.

David Nelson

Great news - glad you found us!

happy

We are happy with Silvergate Retirement Residence. She is very happy with this facility. She likes the food. There are things for her to do there. We are very pleased with how things are going. It has been a good experience.

David Nelson

"Happy" to hear that she is happy! We always want to see our residents excited to move in and having the best experience ever - thanks for the feedback!

Seemed like a nice place

I toured this community while looking into care options for a loved one. The facility was well kept and clean, and all of the staff I met seemed friendly and professional. It could have just been when I visited, but it did seem a little empty, I didn't many people in the hallways. We ended up selecting another community, but this is somewhere I would have considered as an option for my loved one.

David Nelson

Our communities have ebb & flow of when folks are out of their apartments and in one of our many neat rooms like the Bombay Lounge, Movie Theatre, Library, etc...Glad that this family found the right place for them.

So far so good

My mother moved into Silvergate within the past month. We previously toured three other facilities in North San Diego County and really believe that Silvergate Memory Care Suites best met her needs. We were impressed with the cleanliness, the incredible friendliness and the attentiveness provided by the caregivers, in fact all of the staff, and the empathy and respect that they show the residents. Another big factor in making our decision is the long tenure of the employees. That tells us that the management treats their people right.

So far we have not been disappointed. In fact our expectations have been exceeded. Our visits are unannounced and we find our mother happy and well cared for. The food is excellent. Although the first few days were rough for her as she had to adjust to new surroundings (and probably doubly rougher for us worrying!) everything they told her this would happen did happen: it is now the new norm.

Previously, she was living in her own home with 24 hour live in care. We had always assumed she was better off that way, and while the caregivers were good, we are convinced now she is much better off. Better food, safer living conditions, and much less stress for us.

From the front desk receptionist, to the cleaning personnel, to the caregivers, to the medical assistants, all the way to the administrator, everybody has been nothing less than friendly, attentive and kind. Truly a great place so far!

Bravo!

This was our first choice because of the warm friendly feeling of the facility. The caregivers were very congenial. The reason we couldn't put my wife's mother her is the shower situation of the studio unit. It would be impossible for her to use the shower here. We are very sad.

David Nelson

Thank you for the feedback - it's true that not all potential residents are perfect for our community, and we are sad too that it couldn't work out. We wish this family all the best!

Everything has been great!

I really can't even think of anything they can do to improve. Everything has been great. Their staff there is really incredible. My dad needs a lot of care and they have always been there to assist him. The food is very good too. My dad has gained some weight since being there, which he needed to. Very clean immaculate place, great care, and compared to all the other places out there the cost was by far the best! Great place, wonderful experience, highly recommend!

David Nelson

This is great to hear and we too are excited to see dad recuperating and enjoying our community as well!

This is a nice boutique facility, small and quaint. A small but nice courtyard area, no pool. Being small, nothing is very far from the apartments.

David Nelson

We typically have about 75 residents in our Independent/Assisted Living Community which is unique considering most other communities have 100 to 200 or more. It's important to us to be smaller, simpler, and manageable for our residents. Folks really like our boutique size - totally unique!

Silvergate is a beautiful community. While touring there I found the staff to be exceptionally friendly. Several of my family tried the food before my dad moved in and it was delicious. Also, when we inspected the Studio we selected for my dad it needed some minor touches. I was impressed with how accommodating the Maintenance person was, he even made some suggestions and was happy to fulfill my requests. My dad will be moving in to Silvergate soon and I'm confidant he will enjoy living there.

David Nelson

Dad just moved in and is very happy with everything. Our Maintenance team helped make his apartment just the way he wanted it - they are great at what they do!

HORRIBLE MANAGEMENT! VERY UNPROFESSIONAL AND VERY LITTLE ATTENTIVENESS TO THEIR RESIDENTS! ALL THEY CARE ABOUT IS THE MONEY.DON'T ACT TO [removed] VERY PROPERLY AND CARE VERY LITTLE FOR THEIR EMPLOYEES.HORRIBLE PLACE TO PUT A LOVED ONE! DON'T LET THEM FOOL YOU! THE ONLY REASON WHY THEY ARE TOP RATED IS DUE TO THEIR LACK OF REPORTING! IF YOU WANT YOUR LOVED ONE TO BE HAPPY AND LIVE LONGER, SILVERGATE IS NOT THE PLACE!!

David Nelson

This is an unfortunate example of an ex-employee's attempt to slander our community. They were released for obvious reasons.

Thank you!

Despite the brief period of time our mother has been in your care we are extremely pleased with Silvergate. The staff has made the transition from another care facility quite easy. Each person we've encountered thus far (beginning with Sarah) has gone out of their way to answer our questions and make the move as stress free as possible.
Keep up the good work!!

David Nelson

We are honored to have their mother here and Sarah and our staff does an amazing job at helping make the transition into our community as pleasant as possible. A move to a community is easier than people anticipate.

Beautiful and fun! I'm moving in!

I had a wonderful time at a "Vegas Wednesday" afternoon with an Elvis impersonator, hors d'oeuvres, a cocktail bar, and lots of prizes. The food was delicious, the staff was warm and receptive, and the building is immaculate. The reception area has beautiful chandeliers, large chairs, and a baby grand piano. They really go the "extra mile" to ensure that their residents are happy. I am planning to move in as soon as I sell my house!

David Nelson

Edith has been with us since July in a 1Bedroom upstairs and her bright smile and cheerful attitude is so heartwarming! I love bumping into her in the halls and the lobby - she brightens our day...so glad she is a part of our family here!

My mothers move to Silvergate could n...

My mothers move to Silvergate could not have been better. What she and her children dreaded has turned into a new lease on life for her. All staff at Silvergate could not be more friendly and accommodating and the place is spotless. My mothers attitude and health in general has improved dramatically since arriving at Silvergare approximately 6 weeks ago.

David Nelson

Thanks Rick for the review. Suzanne has her neat circle of friends here and they always seem to be laughing about something at lunch. She has great wit and great style.

Love where you live

This is a beautiful home for people looking for a Assisted Living home or for people with Alzheimer's and Dementia. Silvergate offers both Assisted Living and Memory care. I have been comming here for a year. Silvergate is always spotless, the staff is caring and competent, and the residents are always extremely happy. Every time I walk in, I'm greeted by the community. And the food here is fabulous. If you are looking for a relaxing and yet enjoyable life after retirement then this is the place for you. And for those who think there is no life after Alzheimer's I guarantee you here at Silvergate there is.

David Nelson

Wow thanks Thalia - that pretty much says it all right there. And yes, the food is fabulous and I know this because I eat here everyday and I'm spoiled for sure!

Small family owned. Dave & ...

Small family owned. Dave & Marianne owners. Own 2 facilities Housekeeping of linens once a week. Had model rooms. Witnessed memory care activity. 'stop'. They offer bible studies. Staff was very friendly. David knows people by name. Memory care has fenced in outdoor courtyard.

David Nelson

Dave Petree has owned Silvergate since 1990 which is very rare in this industry. His two sons Greg & Matt work along side him too. It's truly a family run company: personal and authentic.

My parents are happy.

In the past year, my parents joined the Silvergate community. Silvergate is a relatively small facility, so it has been easy for them to make some great friendships and to participate in some of the activities. Meals are a big part of their daily activity. They enjoy the socializing as well as the ability to choose from good and varied options on the menu. One thing that you will notice about Silvergate is that the staff are happy to work there. That makes a big difference. The staff in all areas are welcoming, attentive, and caring. The bottom line is that my parents are happy and enjoying themselves at Silvergate.

David Nelson

This son or daughter makes a great point about being happy where you work and happy to serve others. I also like how they mention our size: we love having only about 75 residents here in our Independent/Assisted Living Community. That makes for a more cozy atmosphere that's more personable and less "corporate" feeling.

Shared apartment for Ralph ...

Shared apartment for Ralph in Memory Care $3,595/mo includes laundry/housekeeping/meals plus $500 for showering and medicine dispensing. One room apartment for Roy $3,395/mo (or studio $2,295/mo) plus any extra's 10% discount off total per month as long as both living there. Haven't toured yet - so ignore rating

David Nelson

Promotions change regularly and we always do our best to accommodate family's needs the best we can!

Enjoying life at Silvergate!

Moved our mom from another community in Lake San Marcos & couldn't be happier! Staff and residents have made her feel welcome & at home. She is no longer living in "dullsville" and enjoys the many activities offered at Silvergate. We appreciate that staff have supported her and our family every step of the way, and communicate with us regularly. We have peace of mind that mom is happy, treated with respect and is well cared for. She loves Silvergate... And so do we!

David Nelson

Thank you Susan for the review and it's great seeing your mom at most activities - she is super involved and I think this is enriching her experience here so much.

Affordable Quality Dementia Care Facility in San Marcos

My mother has been at Silvergate Suites San Marcos for over one year. We looked at several alternatives before choosing Silvergate. Some had newer facilities. Some were less expensive. We chose Silvergate for its excellence in:
. activities: seniors are engaged and active; field trips;
. cleanliness: exceptional for this type facility;
. caring staff: some variance, but mostly very good;
. management: involved, quick to address problems;
. medication management: well-run;
. dining: good quality, well presented;
. surprisingly affordable for the quality program offered;
. outside entertainment and cultural programs.

We have no regrets. My mother is happy with Silvergate. And, so is the family.

David Nelson

The Suites is an alternative to the traditional apartment-style found in most facilities. Instead of long corridors and isolated apartments, which can lead to resident anxiety and less supervision, Silvergate Memory Care Suites takes a smaller, more home-like approach.

Now needed, a little compassion

I had a very disappointing experience at Silvergate San Marcos, although there are aspects that I liked about this facility.

I liked that it was a smaller AL facility, giving it more of a family feeling where people knew each other. Most of the caregivers were nice and seemed to genuinely care for everyone.

However, management, specifically the administrator is not a very nice person, and we had a bad experience as a result of her insensitivity. At one point, she determined some immediate changes were necessary with my family member, however these changes were not made. When asked why, she covered up their mistake by stating that it was a week long process to make the change. As stated, this was not a change that was requested by me, but was mandated by her.

In addition, she made some very rude comments about my family member. She needs to learn how to communicate with compassion during what can be a very difficult time.

David Nelson

We are so sorry for this family's experience and are working to make the appropriate corrections. We appreciate all the feed back we get and will continue to learn and grow from this.

They seem to be very friendly and very caring.

They seem to be very friendly and very caring. They have card games and things, and some car trips. When we first visitied I tried the food and they are nutritious meals, not a five star restaurant but good. The dining room could be redone to be as nice as the lobby and the library. She seems to be content.

David Nelson

We have completely remodeled our dinning room since Janice visited - everything is updated and new and we now call it our "Empire Room". We love having guests come for a complimentary meal - please take us up on the offer!

The best place for someone with memory loss

We spent six months looking for "the right" place for an elderly relative who, we were told, no longer could stay in her assisted/independent facility. We visited 13 facilities/programs for those with dementia or Alzheimer's Disease. and this was by far the best we found. It was designed by doctors who work with elderly patients with dementia, in conjunction with architects. The environment is "circular" rather than linear (no long hallways with doors that all look the same). There are 4 double rooms and 2 private rooms in each "neighborhood" or "group," so 10 people share the living room, family/dining area and fireplace onto which each unit opens. There is a larger room beyond that common area where exercise or other activities take place. Residents are welcome in all of the group areas, and also have access to outside walking trails, a gazebo and nice plants, places to sit and relax, etc, in a safe environment that feels more "open" than "locked." Some of the big "outer" rooms in each area have tables for cards and other games - each is a bit different than the others and named for a particular country that also influences pictures and other decore. To the extent possible, each group is at a similar functional level so the residents are comfortable with others who are like them in what they can do, etc. Everyone is known by name. The activities are appropriate to what each resident can do comfortably. There is no "funny smell" we noticed in several facilities in the "memory unit," even if not in the other areas of the retirement community. In many of these places, those needing memory care seemed to be "tacked on" to the other retirement living services offered - and they were noticeably NOT WITH the rest of those who lived in the community. Silvergate does offer independent and assisted living, but those are in an entirely different building. Those needing memory care live in a building that was designed for people who - unfortunately - have declining mental abilities and memory. They do not have to see other "nicer" areas when someone comes to take them out for awhile. If I ever get that diagnosis, I have asked my grown children to find me a place close to at least one of them and as much like Silvergate as possible.

David Nelson

Big Mama is right: Residents living with Alzheimer’s or related dementia live in one of our distinct “Neighborhoods”, which include private or shared accommodations that open directly into an open layout that includes a common living room, activity area, dining room and kitchen – a layout that closely resembles home.

Very Good Overall

I thought the value was really good going into it but it's looking like my mother-in-law may need to get more care. They add on money every time they need more help with something so it ends up costing more than you think. We were not prepared for that. The activities look good. My mother-in-law hasn't been participating but they do offer activities.

Generally, they've been very good. It's very clean and tidy and they have a friendly staff. My mother-in-law is doing okay. It goes up and down but she's getting the care she needs.

David Nelson

Most communities have what's commonly referred to a "base price" for an apartment or room. A resident who is Independent would be only paying this price. Once a resident starts receiving care of any kind (ex. Bathing, Dressing, Med. Mang.) there is typically always an extra cost involved. We are very upfront with these costs so as to help our families plan accordingly.

Quite Impressive

This seemed to be very good. It had the assisted living next door they had another building for people with dementia and Alzheimer's. It seemed to be very well laid out. That was more of a lock down situation. I was quite impressed with Silvergate but it was just a little bit too far away for me to visit my wife everyday.

David Nelson

Good feedback on our layout in the Suites Memory Care - we really like the "neighborhood" set up in our Suites and hope that everyone comes and sees it for themselves in person!

FABULOUS ENVIRONMENT

I selected Silvergate based on recomendations and a tour of the facility. It is a small, friendly community and easy for both my parents, who are 83, to navigate. The food is wonderful and the menu choices are suitable to those living there.

I love that they have a Thursday Evening Church Service and go with my parents regularly. The staff is very helpful and willing to work with your particular needs.

It's the type of place that I would want to retire to when I am not able to live fully on my own!

David Nelson

We also like the small, safe & simple layout of the building. Residents quickly adjust to this design. Thanks for pointing this out Lesli!

Wonderful experience at Silvergates Retirement Residence -San MARCOS

I was looking for a place for my aunt moving from Fl ,Natalie , the nicest ,lady from "A place from mom" , was extremely helpful to us booking 2 appts , in the first day sop we got in love with Silvergates , David Nelson , called me back to confirm the apt, then show the place , very kind and caring person , very personable . My aunt loves the place , she said is very clean , people are very loving and caring , the food is very good , they have very interesting and great activities , every where are flowers , she is very impressed with it . She is very picky lady , very educated and traveled and that means double points for the place . Everybody is very special with her , she loves Jerry and the rest of the receptionists , and care givers(Rose and Lidiat) . Very happy also with the salon services for her hair .

David Nelson

It was great working with you Flory when your aunt moved in with us. We are very happy that you and your aunt chose us!

Really Happy!

We've been really happy with it. I like that it isn't a really large place. It's family owned and they owner is there every week with his son. They're really hands-on. Everybody knows everybody. They know me by name even though it's only been two weeks. I think they've got everything dialed in.

David Nelson

Thanks Chris for the feedback and we are very honored to serve your loved one here at Silvergate!

70 residents, liked size, walking dis...

70 residents, liked size, walking distance to shopping plaza. Outings. Can get patio or balcony. 30 Restaurants Row. 2/3 Independent

David Nelson

Not an isolated community, we are conveniently located across the street from a shopping center with a grocery store, banks, dentist, UPS Store, etc. and a 24hour Fitness that we pay for our residents membership!

A Good possibility

A Good possibility

David Nelson

Located near Lake San Marcos, off Rancho Santa Fe Road near shopping, restaurants and theaters, Silvergate is a full service retirement residence offering a continuum of care. Residents receive 3 meals a day, weekly housekeeping, 7-days a week transportation, and an array of social, cultural events and outings. Personalized care services are available and my include bathing, dressing, grooming, escort service, medication assistance, and well-being checks. As changing health needs arise for the independent resident, assistance is available without changing apartments or dining rooms. The separate Dementia and Memory Care Suites offers an environment where residents can be provided a warm, safe, highly supervised, and reassuring living environment. Nurses are available 24/7 on site.

City Info

Known as much for its cultural and ethnic diversity and wide range of cuisines as it is for the illuminated cross that is visible to the whole city at night, San Marcos offers a strong, business-friendly local economy. The city has a population of 92,929 and is in San Diego County near Escondido, Encinitas, Carlsbad, Oceanside, and Temecula.

This community distinguishes itself with its range of available housing. From its high-end master-planned neighborhoods to affordable communities for seniors and others on fixed incomes, San Marcos has something for every budget and design taste. The Silvergate Retirement Residence is an award-winning retirement haven for seniors and has been rated a top facility for the past two decades. With its on-site memory care facility and 2017 renovation, this community will continue to enjoy that top ranking.

- Walkability Score: San Marcos has a score of 33, so most errands require the use of a reliable car.

- Average Age in the 92078 Zip Code: The median age for San Marcos is 34.9, with seniors making up 16 percent of the population.

- Number of Senior Housing Facilities in San Marcos: There are approximately 64 other independent senior housing communities in San Marcos. About 214 other facilities offer Alzheimer's and memory care services.

- Average Weather: Temperatures in San Marcos stay in a mild range, reaching only as high as 98 degrees Fahrenheit in April through July and as low as 33 degrees in winter months. The average temperature stretches from 55 to 70 degrees, with January holding the record as the month with the most precipitation.

- Veterans Facilities in the Area: The San Marcos Veterans Center, located at One Civic Center Drive, Suite 150, is open every day of the week except Sunday.

Transportation

Seniors who move to San Marcos without a car and those who do not have friends and family in the area to assist with errands might consider using mass transit to get around.

- Buses: BREEZE provides plentiful bus routes to neighborhoods in North San Diego County, which local residents call North County. There is a reduced day pass and significantly discounted single ride fare for eligible seniors.

- Trains: The European-style SPRINTER light rail has been described by riders as reliable and user friendly. This train system has 15 stations and is easy to connect to through the BREEZE bus system. Seniors must purchase discount tickets, one-way tickets, or day or monthly passes at the station.

- Taxis: There are a number of private companies offering taxi service in San Marcos, San Diego, Escondido, and the surrounding areas, including Stay Classy Transportation, Finest City Transportation, Aero Cab, Taxi San Marcos, and Carlsbad Livery Service.

- Rideshare: As part of the CarpoolWorld site, San Diego County helps coordinate ride sharing for its metro residents. On its ShiftSanDiego.com site, the county lists more resources for those who want to share rides, including connections for TripPlanner, Park and Ride, Vanpooling, and the Guaranteed Ride Home program. UberPOOL and Lyft Line app instructions are also hosted on the site.

Health and Safety

The chance of becoming a victim of a San Marcos crime is 1 in 513, with property crimes being the most frequently committed of all crimes. The overall crime rate is 53 percent lower than that of California and 50 percent lower than the national average.

To help keep crime rates down, the city has contracted with the San Diego Sheriff's Department for law enforcement and offers the following crime prevention services to residents: alarm system registration, child safety, Internet safety and crime prevention presentations, Neighborhood Watch, identity theft prevention initiatives, and business and residential Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED) evaluations.

- Hospitals in the Area: Palomar Health at San Marcos, Kaiser Permanente San Diego Medical Center, Tri-City Medical Center (Oceanside), Naval Hospital (Camp Pendleton), University of California San Diego Medical Center, Kindred Hospital San Diego, and about 19 others.

- Crime Rate in San Marcos: This city is safer than about 38 percent of all US cities, registering only two violent crimes for every 100 people who live in San Marcos.

Sports and Leisure

The city offers gym and recreational facilities to encourage residents to maintain their fitness. Courses offered also includes sports, dance, music, and art.

- Golf Courses: Twin Oaks Golf Course, St. Mark Golf Course, and St. Mark Executive Golf Course.

- Tennis Courts/Clubs: There are many tennis courts in San Marcos, including options at area high schools, apartment complexes, and parks. Public tennis courts include Palomar College, Mission Hills High School, Woodland Park Tennis Courts, Thibodo Park, and Escondido High School. Lake San Marcos Racquet Club and Escondido Country Club are private.

- Gyms: Senior Activity Centers, CSUSM Brain & Body Fitness Through Music/Movement, The Sanctuary Wellness Experience, and Yamuna Body Rolling classes are available.

Shopping and Entertainment

With many neighboring cities, there is no shortage of places to shop or go for weekend outings. Seniors will likely need a car to get to most of these places.

- Clothes Shopping: Nordstrom Rack, Styles for Less, Feng Shui Import, Wysh Boutique, and Metaphor Boutique.

- Grocery Stores: WinCo Foods, Grocery Outlet Bargain Market, Smart & Final Extra!, Sprouts Farmers Market, Ralphs, Albertsons, Aldi, and Patron Meat Market & Deli.

- Restaurants: Mama Kat's Restaurants, Cochina Del Charro, The Bellows, Phil's BBQ, Fish House Vera Cruz, Money Pit, Old California Mining Co., Dockside Decoy, Broken Yolk Cafe, and Mariah's West Wind.

- Movie Theaters: Edwards San Marcos Stadium 18, Del Norte Plaza Movies 8 (Escondido), Cinepolis Luxury Cinemas - La Costa, AMC Wiegan Plaza Cinema 8 (Encinitas), and Regal Cinemas Escondido Cinemas 16.

- Libraries: San Marcos - San Diego County Library and Kellogg Library.

- Salons: Imana Sky Salon, Che Bangs the Salon, and Kiwi Salon.

- Attractions: With 16 parks and 18 mini-parks, it is easy to see how the city earned its nickname, ""San Parkos."" Other attractions include Leo Carrillo Ranch Historic Park (Carlsbad), Batiquitos Lagoon, Double Peak Park, Discovery Lake, Mighty Awesome Escape Rooms, California Spirits Company, and Kuracali Sake and Beer Brewery

Religious Facilities

Like most cities its size, San Marcos offers a wide spectrum of worship and fellowship experiences for residents. If seniors cannot find a church or faith center in San Marcos, San Diego has more choices.

Religious facilities include The Movement, Rock Church, The Crossing Church, Gateway Community Church, San Marcos Luthern Church, Hidden Valley Zen Center, Chabad Jewish Center, Temple Etz Rimon, and Muslim Community Center of San Diego.