Schenley Gardens - Pittsburgh, PA

I would never go here

I would never ever go there, I do not recommend. To begin with, they haven’t had heat in the first floor, in any of the elevators, or in the halls for at least a week. They are now going into their second week with their residents dealing with the cold. My love one fortunately has a heater in her unit, however there are many tenants that are complaining about it. No one seems to be working on it. It hard to talk to anyone to receive any information for anyone. When people go to the dining area to eat, they are wearing coats and hats just to stay warm. Sometimes they just take their meals up to their rooms. I believe that my love one is not getting very good care there. I have called the Elder Care in this county and they put me through the department that are sending an inspector to the facility itself to check out the place. However, I’m not sure how long it would actually take them to resolve this issue. Again I would never go there

Overall Satisfied

So far we are satisfied with my mother in law move to this community. I'am pretty active in her day to day living, and everything is working out well. We do feel she is safe, and in good hands. Overall this community is working out well for my mother in law, and her needs.

A good tour

This looked like a really nice community when we visited. They seemed to offer a lot of activities and everyone we met was very nice. This community has a lot of different levels and we felt it was a little to large for mom.

Stay away

Do not place anyone you care about here.
Untrained staff, most often on their cellphones or in personal conversations rather than attending to residents. Dirty environment, unclean residents, ongoing theft issues. No individualization to care, no responsiveness to needs. Poor administrative response to issues, locally and at home office.

Terrible choice

I am a friend of a resident. The level of care is terrible. The staff hates it when an outsider is observing them . Even worse is the administration and management. It is run by an out of state company who has no ties to the Pittsburgh community and no interest in doing anything for the quality of life of the residents.

I know it is hard to find a good place but this is terrible.

Truly not an unworthy experience.

As this was my first experience in even picking a place for my sister to stay for a while, nothing prepares you for all the decisions to be made. I liked that the community was very close to my sister's own apartment. Most of the amenities are included in the prices quoted. A few problems arose in light of my sister is wheelchair bound.
She was having problems getting showered at her set times and the apartment was getting cleaned up to her standards.
Most of the people are very sympathetic to your concerns and we managed to plow through these few problems.

Beware!

Had our loved one in the memory care unit on the 5th floor. This place is just awful. Anytime I was there and asked for help with my family member it seemed like a huge inconvenience to the aides. They were constantly on their phones and in no hurry to assist anyone. My resident always had dirty stained clothing on and was never changed. After our family member passed away they returned the unused meds to us. There was such a surplus we wondered if they were giving the medicine as prescribed. I advise you to do your homework and ask questions of residents relatives before choosing a nursing home. We learned the hard way.

A Place For Mom is a god send!

A Place For Mom was so much more than I expected. Don't let the title fool you cause I was looking for a place for my brother and the advisor who was assigned to me called me right away. She was so helpful and pleasant and listened to me as to what I was looking for.

Schenley Gardens was the first community I toured and was sold right away. It has everything to offer that my brother would benefit from. The staff is very pleasant, nice and respectful.

I am comforted to know he is in a much better place.

Need more activities

They have activities but there's not a whole lot of them. The aides are wonderful, they took very good care of my mother. As far as improvement, back management has little bit of problems. When requesting things there is a delay for it.

If only there were a "0" star rating

Beware before signing anything here. Get everything in writing, and if possible notarize everything anyone at Schenley Gardens gives you. My mother was here for a few months. The care was sub standard at best, the food appalling and the management changed so often there was no one with whom to communicate. The floor she was on smelled of urine and when I pointed that out, our 'tour guide' replied that you have to expect those odors in an assisted living place. We were charged for many services we did not receive and since we didn't document every missed service, we had no recourse. I suggest consulting with an attorney before agreeing to have a family member live at Scheney Gardens. I challenge anyone to eat a week's worth of meals here. There are far better places in Pittsburgh that charge way less money. The convenience of the Oakland location is not worth the horror of having anyone live here.

Very clean

Very clean, very good. Might be out of our price range.

Mixed experience

Our experience with Schenley Gardens has been somewhat mixed, but overall I think they do a good job. The facility itself is well kept and clean, and the staff all seemed friendly, but I think some of their services could stand some improvement. Their intake process could use some work, getting my loved one moved in was definitely not a smooth process. I also wish they'd offer a few more activities in the evening, things pretty much shut down after dinner and my night owl loved one is often has nothing to do but sit in her room.

Timeless memory..

The food is the best we have ever seen! 5 star Restaurant!
I can not image the price! Gigantic rooms for the residence.
State of the art security,very professional staff ,and management makes sure operations run smoothly.
The facility is immaculate,the design of the building is unlike any other we have witness..
Superior service i can honestly say,I'm proud to have my loved one living there.
Its a "timeless" memory!

if you have the moeny its a great community to go to it is high priced my father enjoy the staff and the people there are nice i gave the over all rating of a 5 star i gave the cleanliness a 5 star rating as well the facility is very very clean in and out

The location made a driving problem for my sister to visit.

A nice place, but just too big for us

This was a nice looking place, they renovated recently and everything looks great. The dining area in particular looked very nice. But it was just too big, and impersonal feeling. It was a gigantic hotel. We really wanted something smaller and more intimate feeling for Mom.

Great Community

I chose this community because I wanted to be near Oakland. The community is not the most convenient location, there is only two bus routes that pass by the community but there is a bus stop in front of the community. The community also has its own van service that will take you places if needed. They do trips to shopping centers and grocery stores. They have plenty of activities to keep the residents busy. The food is pretty good and there are so very nice common areas. I was research several other communities but only visited this one and once I saw Schenley Gardens I didn't bother visiting any others. I am pretty happy with it and would recommend it to anyone.

located in Oakland, no parking for vi...

located in Oakland, no parking for visitors, more of a rehab then a home. Its like a highrise Apt. just not what we are looking for.

Schenley Gardens, Pittsburgh’s Premier Senior Living Community, is conveniently located in the heart of Pittsburgh and offers breathtaking and panoramic views of the city. Schenley Gardens has perfected the art of gracious living.

Personal assistance is available for a variety of activities of daily living, such as dressing, bathing and medication administration.

The Memory Impairment Unit called The Penthouse was designed for individuals with early and moderate stages of various dementias. It looks and feels like an elegant apartment with all the supports and assurances needed to stay as independent and engaged with one’s life as possible.

Respite care (short stay) is available in both assisted living and independent living and on our memory impairment unit. This service provides caregivers a break, as well as offers an interim step following a hospital stay before returning home.

With several of the country’s finest hospitals and medical centers located in Pittsburgh, there is comfort in knowing world-class health care is close and convenient.

Our on-site comprehensive rehabilitation center offers residents physical, speech, occupational and respiratory therapy services.

Schenley Gardens’ close proximity to universities, museums, libraries, restaurants and other cultural venues encourage residents to pursue their love of fine arts and entertainment.