Roxie's Elderly Homes - Vista, CA

I feel like I hit the lottery with this home. :)

My 82 year old father was living with me, my husband, and our son, for 3 years before I found Roxie's... My Dad was using a walker, but not well, and his dementia, depression and incontinence were becoming too much for me to handle. Finding Roxie's was as if I'd sketched out my perfect scenario, and watched it come to life. I will forever be grateful to both Gail at A Place For Mom (the service that helped place Dad), and Roxie and staff at Roxie's Elderly Homes, for saving my sanity, and giving my Dad a place to thrive.

Roxie's home in Vista (she has multiples, but that's where Dad is) is always active with cooking and cleaning and caregiving. There are no bingo nights or theme parties - just an open, airy, colorful home where my Dad relaxes and is cared for. He’s content to be pushed in a wheelchair now, and every time I visit, he's in clean clothes, freshly shaven, soft from lotion, and rosy cheeked. His only complaint is that there's too much food. I tell him that's a good problem to have! ;)

For a man who didn't want to leave my house, and said that a group home would be "the end" for him, I'm just so amazed how he acclimated right away to Roxie's. Every visit, I ask how he's doing, and he says, "Yeah - this is a nice place. You did good." I no longer see signs of depression, and I can't tell you how much peace this brings me. My Dad and I had very little positive left in our relationship, when he was in my house... As soon as he moved in to Roxie's, I returned to being the "daughter", and let the "caregiver" part go. For us, that made all the difference.

My Dad's memory is failing pretty quickly, but I'm not afraid of that anymore. I know that, however long we have left, our last memories will be warm. He's always happy to see me and my son - giving his grandson more attention than ever before. We play Chinese Checkers on Roxie's open, breezy patio, and we enjoy each other’s company. This is what I'll remember and, thankfully, what my son will remember. I know that I have Roxie's Elderly Homes to thank for that. xo