Pacific Gardens Alzheimer's Special Care Center - Portland, OR

More like housekeepers than care givers

My mom was only here for 17 days and the whole time she was there, I think I saw the same person maybe twice. The staff there seems to have a fair amount of turnover and they all seemed more like housekeepers and less like care givers. They were very nice and friendly people though, it just seemed like there was a higher ratio of residents to care givers. They have different levels of care and everybody in the wing that my mom was in required a great deal of care. From what I saw, there were 7 or 8 people per wing and only 2 care givers, so most of the residents were just sitting or sleeping in chairs or staring at the wall. They had scheduled activities on certain days of the week or at certain times during the day, and a couple of times on Saturday mornings they had people come in that would do activities with the memory care residents. The food seemed fairly balanced from what I could see and over all, the facility is a pretty clean place. That seems to be how they spend most of their time actually. A lot of their equipment looks really new and the place itself is pretty nice. This is our first experience with a home so maybe our expectations were a little bit higher, but overall she was kept safe, warm, and fed. I would probably recommend this place, depending on the level of care your loved one needs.

Modern Look!

The community is very beautiful and well maintained. During my tour, all of the residents were on a bus on their way to an outing which I thought was pretty neat. The place was nice but it was next to the main road, so the sound of the traffic would have bothered my loved one. Also, they did not have any private rooms available, just the shared rooms.