Oliver House - Wendell, NC

Not A Good Experience

After only being there for a few days we ended up having to remove my mother from this facility. I can't go into any specifics however I will say they do not live up to the care they say they provide.We had major issues with medications and staffing issues. Since taking my mother home her health has improved and I feel better knowing she is getting looked after correctly.

Things were good before

This was a good community before they changed directors. The community is clean. They let go a lot of the staff and the food quality declined. They kept running out of certain food and drink items. They increased the cost and due to this we had to move dad to another community.

Do Not Put Your Loved Ones in their Care!

Never, would I recommend this nursing home to anyone!! My Dad was there for several years with dementia in the lock down unit. [Removed]. My Dad took a fatal fall and nobody' saw it. A friend of my son's Mother was there and got fed bolonga sandwiches due to 'them being out of food.'

The place smells. It did improve some after a small sprucing up. If you let them wash the residence's clothes, they ended up ruining them with bleach spots. My Dad had a pair of expensive shoes that disappeared and some very nice clothes.

Sad, sad, sad!! It was two-three days after he was admitted to the hospital, which would prove to be fatal illness due to a hard blow to the face (from falling) that caused a subdural hematoma. Before, anyone from the nursing home even called to check on his medical status. Do Not take your loved ones there!!!!!!!!!!!

Not a place I would want anyone to stay. Smelled awful! Seemed disorderly.

Temporary resident that lived there

I spent a few months there, while family looked for a more permanent home for me.

A couple comments on the other comments:
I never heard of a call button not functioning. They were on a cord and could be placed on the nightstand or bedside. It was very easy for them to fall behind it, under the bed or someplace out of reach. A simple hook or something on the wall by the bed would take care of that issue.

Smelling like urine. Yes, this was mostly in the evenings when the staff was changing bedridden residents. It would be overpowering most nights. It usually took quite a while before it was cleaned or the staff sprayed something in the halls to neutralize the odor.

Not getting meals. They were good about making sure everyone was in the dining hall. I slept through the beginning of more than one meal and was always visited by someone checking on me. If you said you were not hungry or didn’t like the meal, they were good about offering an alternative. Not a hot meal alternative, a sandwich or something. Lots of baloney and pimento cheese sandwiches. There was always an alternate meal, which you could sign up for outside the dining hall. It was leftovers from the previous meal or the baloney and pimento cheese sandwich. Seconds were available and you could just have a certain part of it if you wished.

Meals themselves I would rate as ‘fair’. While there was a good selection and variety, they were basic institutional meals. Nutritious but not very tasty. Most residents were diabetic or had salt limitations so everything was pretty bland. Condiments were available, if asked for, and could be added to help. Regular sugar had to be asked for. The substitutes were readily available. They could not leave salt or regular sugar out or residents that should not use them would.

The staff. As with other places I was, the staff varies. Some were very good and dedicated and many were just there for a job. Many times, when needed, it was difficult to find someone who could help. ‘Not my job’ or ‘so-and-so is taking care of that this shift’ kind of thing. If it was a medical emergency, they were on the spot very fast. The ambulance was quick about arriving and was there many times a week. There was always staff at the residence, finding them could be difficult, especially if you had limited mobility to go and search them out.

For general living, it was not an exciting place. They had the usual bingo, or guests coming to sing and all that. Lots of religious meetings and get togethers. They would take you out, to a store or doctors apt, but they had to be arranged in advance. It usually took a few days to get a ride anywhere. Unless it was a medical emergency, that they were very good about.

They had a covered outside area that allowed smoking. It was not attached to the building and in a rain storm, water would stream down from the roof and between it right in front of the door. You would get soaked trying to get in or out. It was a pleasant place to go and just sit though. A gazebo was set apart from the main area and if you did not smoke you could go sit there.

The residents themselves were for the most part, a good group of folks. There were the usual few who complained all the time. Many there with diminished mental capabilities, but an intelligent conversation could be had. Some of the best people were stroke victims and hard to understand, but there was lots of time available to communicate with them.

There were several ‘living room’ areas with a TV, couches and comfy chairs. All had large screen TV’s which were on 24/7 and always too loud, at least for me. The only places to have an actual conversation were the smoking area or your room.

The rooms themselves were rather small and shared. Not much room for a comfy chair or other furnishings. Not at all ‘apartment’ like. They were just a basic bedroom. Married couples could share the same room. I did not see any ‘singles’ but also did not go in a lot of rooms while I was there. Bathrooms were shared between two rooms, so up to 4 folks using it. No shower in them, there were several ‘shower rooms’ in each hall that were shared by all residents. No privacy and anyone who wanted, could walk in. There was a partial ‘privacy wall’ between the actual shower and the rest of the bathroom which was frequented by other residents while you showered. I solved this by showering very early in the morning, while everyone was asleep. Plenty of grab bars and a movable seat in each one. Help was available and a shower schedule was available to anyone who needed assistance. Help was also available for getting in/out of bed, dressing and being moved from place to place. I never had to use these, so am not able to comment on them.

I was recovering from an accident and required high protein meals, to rebuild muscle, and a place to ‘work out’ to rebuild strength. This is not a residence for that. They did not cater to a specialized diet nor did they have any kind of gym or rehabilitation equipment. I found myself actually losing mobility there. Yes, they had basic Pt folks come in once a week but for my needs, it was not acceptable. I did my own exercises using the rubber bands in my room. I could have setup regular appointments or joined a local gym and had a regular ride scheduled to got here. Since it was a temporary place for me to go, I just rode it out and did the best I could.

Overall, for about $2,200 a month it is what you would expect. Basic living with all the basic requirements met. Would I recommend it as a place to go and live? No. Many of the permanent residents were happy with it, many were not. If you or your loved one are higher functioning, active, and do not require a lot of assistance, I would look elsewhere. I would recommend going there to check it out, talk to several of the residents, and make your own decision.

Do every thing you can to find a different place.

My mother went without eating for a day and a half. We found her in an awful state. Couldn't wake her up. No one was checking that she hadnt eaten even though she didn't show up in the dining room.
The place is not clean. Smelled so bad sometimes.
On the weekends you can't find anyone in charge.
My mom was not given all her meds but the form was checked off.
She didn't have a working call button for weeks. Everyone seems overwhelmed.

Smells and there isn't enough staff

I went to visit him, I saw him just about every day and I used to volunteer there, it was okay. They could imrpove on the clealiness, the place always had a urine smell and to me, I don't think they had enough staff, there's a staffing issue but there's pretty much a staffing issue everywhere.

I'm underwhelmed. Dr's off...

I'm underwhelmed. Dr's off premisces. Individual or 'companion' rooms. Not like apartments.

Medicaid accepted.

Medicaid accepted.

Welcome to Oliver House! Nestled in the quiet town of Wendell, we provide individualized care in comfortable surroundings. With the support of our warm, caring and competent staff we provide families peace-of-mind. From assistance with activities of daily living such as eating, bathing and dressing to medication monitoring and supervision, Oliver House provides residents with the help they need. We encourage family and friends to visit often and be actively involved in their loved one’s care. Three nutritious meals are served daily in our country style dining room. Please call for more information or to schedule a tour of Oliver House.