Oakmont Sterling - Sterling Heights, MI

Mom needs help with life.

Mom moved into Oakmont Sterling Heights with severe heart issues. Dad can no longer care for her. This was a very upsetting time for my Mom and Dad since they had been together for over 62 years. [Removed] were great! They quickly responded to any needs, kept a smile on their face and helped Mom get settled comfortably. This is very reassuring to the rest of the family who want the best for their loved ones. The food is good and served hot. The activities team is encouraging. Oakmont lets my Mom have her privacy and also gives her interaction with people during the day. She would not have had this kind of interaction if she would have remained in her home. The beauty shop at the facility is appreciated. The family is still learning about the facility. The entire staff has made this process so easy! The hardest part was the decision making process. All we can say is "Thank You".

Good enough in some ways, disappointing in others

This is a nice looking facility with well appointed studio, one and two bedroom apartments with walk-in shower, vanity, wardrobe, two windows and kitchenette with mini fridge. The daily care: medication passing; housekeeping, maintenance, activities, meals is good enough. Doctor care is not so good. If your family member can get an appointment with the doctor they might get help with what they need. The nursing director is defensive, snippy, and grouchy. There is no sense of urgency regarding medical matters. Residents need a family member to advocate for them to ensure medical follow up. My parent feels her medical issues are not taken seriously. The facility is very difficult if you do not use their doctor. They make no effort to assist with communicating with outside PCP, follow up on medication issues. This resulted in my parent being without a medication for a week. I have witnessed several family members at the nurses station inquire about prescriptions faxed by a PCP and they have been told "I haven't seen it come through." I have witnessed family members speaking to a staff who passes medication, advocating for their family member to be administered a PRN medication and been met with silence or a lack of urgency/concern. My parent complains about the texture of the food being unappetizing, that the same food is served repeatedly, and being bullied to eat. I have seen a resident crying out for assistance and witnessed a staff person silently walk away. Like any place, there are some staff whom are wonderful and others who are obvious about it just being a job. I have walked up on staff people making unkind remarks about residents. I witnessed a health care staff person come into my parent's room to bring her something, she was having a personal conversation on her cellphone and did not even speak to or acknowledge my parent. Most disappointed about the poor doctor care, it's availability, and the lack of urgency to meet residents perceived needs. The service is not as warm and friendly as it first appeared. Service is not as individualized as I had hoped it would be. Instead of feeling relieved that my mother's medical care is being taken care of, her medical care is a worry to me. I struggle with whether to continue with the mediocre medical care there or take my parent to a PCP, knowing it will be a barrier to her care at this facility since they will not coordinate with an outside PCP. There appears to be much staff turnover. There were two nurses who were 'in charge' when the nursing director was not on shift. Neither appear to work there anymore. Frequently see new nursing and medication passing staff. My parent will probably be moved elsewhere when her level of care needs increase as I lack the confidence she will get the medical care needed when she is no longer able to communicate her needs/concerns herself.

Management sucks

First off, the management "team" is horrible. They need to fire the whole bunch of them and start over with more energized, cheerful people. They don't have the decency to take a staff member to a private office but fire them right in front of residents and their guests. They force the CENAS to work 16hr shifts and if they can't, they're fired right on the spot. I would prefer someone who hasn't worked more then 10 hours to care for my relative, the CENAS are exhausted and mistakes happen when they are as exhausted as they are. I feel so bad for them, no wonder their is such a high turn over, they run these poor CENAS right into the ground.

Oakmont Sterling Assisted

We cannot say enough great things about Oakmont Sterling Assisted. They do offer long term care. We moved mom there from a nursing facility where she had not been treated well. Oakmont was half the price. They catered to mom's every need. Food was very good. Entire staff was caring. We wish we had known that they could give the care mom needed before our first choice. When the time came for mom to move to heaven, Oakmont treated our entire family as family. Taking care of us through some of the worst days of our lives. This facility is fantastic. Very nice building. Very clean. Good food. Caring staff.

Gorgeous Community & great staff

We moved our parents in to Oakmont Sterling Assisted about 3 months ago. This is the second assisted living community my parents have been in, and I wish I had taken them here to begin with. The facility is new, gorgeous, and spotless. The staff is very friendly, and there are ALOT of them. It's not the cheapest place in town, but considering the quality of everything there, its well worth it if you can afford it.

Wonderful Place for Mom

My mother moved in here approximately a year ago. She is happier than she has been in a long time. The staff is very professional, kind and caring. The facility is exceptionally clean, well-maintained, and has a great vibe.

Wonderful facility

Mom wasn't there very long before being moved to a memory care facility but she loved it. The staff was helpful whenever I called.

mom's new home

they were very helpful when touring. Facility is beautiful and very well kept. They could offer new residents a little more assistance getting settled in e.g. assign a "buddy" to remind them of meals and activities.

DO NOT PLACE YOUR LOVED ONES HERE

Oakmont sterling assisted is a terrible place to send your loved ones. A [removed] boot camp is the best way to describe it, they run an extremely tight routine here.. Breakfast from 7-9, activity from 1-2 etc. basically forcing residents to participate in scheduled activities against their will. The care nurses are extremely rude and make fun of the residents behind their back discussing personal things (bathroom accidents, [removed]) about the residents that should not be repeated. They force them to eat when they are not hungry & add medication to their food & drink. The food is low quality cheap [removed] and prepared poorly by poorly educated "chefs". DO NOT SEND YOUR LOVED ONES HERE

Wonderful Community

My mother has lived at Oakmont Sterling for about a year. We are very pleased with Oakmont. The facility is extremely clean and well maintained, the staff is friendly and professional, and my mother is extremely pleased with the food and activities. She has made quite a few friends, and is much happier.

Mom wasn't feeling well, so I went al...

Mom wasn't feeling well, so I went alone. Atmosphere cheery, residents seemed engaged (observed mealtime and a resident sing-a-long/kitchen band). Apartments were spotless & well laid out. Only real negative was that each shower had double glass doors (to me that presented a potential hazard). Age of facility: 14 years. Average age of residents: 84/85. Oldest resident: 99. Due to accidents, there were also three residents in their 50's. Director was warm towards me and all the residents that we encountered during my tour.

Beautiful (123 apartments) senior retirement residence, located conveniently near shopping, banks, and Troy Beaumont Hospital. Monthly rental includes all meals, full laundry and housekeeping services, on-site personal care services, & 24 hour Staffing.