Oakmont of Folsom - Folsom, CA

Toured very nice place is an option to be considered.

The place is very nice, clean and well organized. There are a lot of activities. According to the person who showed us around, they serve 3 meals a day plus snack . The menu looks very good and extensive.

Oakmont Senior Living

Hello,

Thank you for your excellent review. We’re pleased to hear that you enjoyed visiting Oakmont of Folsom. We pride ourselves on offering an extensive enrichment program and gourmet dining in a clean and luxurious environment. If you have any questions about our community, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.

Warm regards,
Becky Givens, Executive Director

Welcoming and friendly staff

When I was looking for a place for my mom this was the first community I got to tour and I was definitely impressed. They gave me legal and financial information even if it wasn’t about their community. They gave me more information than any other community I had seen. The staff was wonderful and I was mostly impressed about how the staff knew each one of the residents’ names. They were family members to them, not numbers. It was very clean and very fancy. Everyone was incredibly helpful and nice. They even had fresh baked cookies!

Not the One

As we were looking for options, we had a tour with this community. The experience was fine and got to see the place. We needed a fast move in and they were not ready for us. I did not have anything bad happen while we were here.

First class facility

This is a first class facility! The people are kind and caring, the dining experience is 4 star and the activities and movie theater are outstanding. My mom, 87 years old, moved in midFebruary and is wheelchair bound that requires a lot of assistance to get around. She is very happy with this facility. It is clean and doesn't have that old musty smell you'll find at most other facilities.
If I ever get to a point I need ADL care, I'm headed here!

Beautiful property!!

This place was one of my top choices out of all the different communities I had looked at. The property was beautiful and I loved the floor plan set up that they had. They had a meal plan as well as activities provided for the residents throughout the week that I was impressed with. Overall this place was great and had a lot to offer, it just was out of budget for my mother.

Oakmont of Folsom - Folsom, CA

Very beautiful facility
Very caring staff
Impressed with Memory Care Director and Activity Director, [Removed].. she is the reason I decided to place my husband there, her enthusiasm, loving, caring, very devoted to what she does.
also - caregivers... all very devoted to residents, great attitudes, even with many messy situations.

Expensive!

I actually had already put a deposit and they had a room available for this place, but after speaking with my father he decided it was too expensive. The place itself is lovely, I can't imagine any bad coming from this place. The apartments are terrific, very comfortable looking and nice.

We are so happy with this facility. My mom really feels this is home & is security for her. The staff is so warm, professional & caring. Thank you so much!!!

The staff are caring & thoughtful. The surroundings are beautiful.

Very Good.

The great people make the place the best we’ve seen.

They are amazing people take wonderful care is on a vacation ever day & not sure she want to leave you.
Lisa in memory care should get an award.

My mother loves living at Oakmont. She enjoys all the “nice people” & the good food. We never hear a complaint from her. We are very pleased with the care she receives. The staff is wonderful. The few concerns we’ve had were addressed immediately.

Nice staff, very caring & attentive. Appreciate the dining room & open dinning times. Nice menu. Good food for the most part. Good Friday entertainment. Would like to see more varied activities for the different cognitive levels.

Pleasant and friendly staff

The overall experience is going great. It is a wonderful facility. The food is really good and the staff is always pleasant and friendly.

Don't be fooled

Don't be fooled by the good sales pitch and the new very fancy facility. The care our resident received was sub-standard. Every time I came in I found he was not wearing his glasses, hearing aides, and once found him at the dinning table waiting for meal with no dentures in. The lower functioning residents wander into others rooms and staffs solution was to lock the other residents rooms when they came out, instead of monitoring the folks who wander. There are no safety pull cords and the residents don't wear alert pendants so when asked how they monitor I was told there are motion sensors in the rooms. I can't see how that helps if your loved one falls and can't get up. Management is not responsive to issues and does not return calls , and I believe staff are not properly trained or supervised. We only lasted 3 weeks of this experience and we pulled our resident out. We could not believe this was the standard of care they thought was ok. It's not about the money we were willing to pay the price they charge, but we were not willing to accept the bad care. We have moved to a new facility and are very pleased with all the above issues being handled properly.

We really like it so far.

We really like it so far. So far she is liking it too, and getting adjusted. I think most of the time she is happy with the food. Everyone is nice there. They are a really nice place, and it's working out really well.

Did not live up to the tour

My dad just moved out. Oakmont looks fantastic on the tour. We thought it was the perfect choice. But they vastly failed to live up to our expectations. Here are some of the issues.

Staff & Mgt. Turnover - The facility has been open less than a year yet they are on their 4th general manager. They are seeking their 3rd manager for the memory care area. This trickles down to every position. It seemed every time I went in there there was a new person caring for my dad, and that person knew nothing of my dad's needs.

Pendents - They tout the pendent system, where residents can click a button to call for help. We tested my dad's pendent many times and never did we get response. One time we clicked it, followed up, and a caregiver told us that the pager goes off so many times from the pendents that there is no way he can respond, so he ignores them. Another time nobody was wearing the pager, and it was sitting in the office! The whole pendent thing became a joke because base on many test tries we knew nobody responded.

Large Corporation - On our tour the salesperson touted the fact that this was not some huge corporation, but instead was a family run business. We found the opposite to be true. Time and time again we asked for services or made suggestions, only to be told that there was a "corporate policy" against it. For instance, we wanted to purchase a bed alarm pager for my dad, so that staff would know when he got out of bed, but corporate policy would not allow it.

Lack of Communication - We wrote down and provided care instructions for my dad when he moved in and many times following that. Yet we never met a new employee who knew anything about the care needs of my dad. We continually were trying to train employees, one at a time. but the high turnover made this impossible for us to keep up with.

Poor Memory Care Design - The residents in the memory care area continually head for the large double doors, only to have the alarm sound when they try to open them. Staff ends up spending a large amount of their time chasing down these door alarms. The design is really poor, and it takes away the caregivers from the core area and sends them to the parameters to chase down the door alarms. This means less care for those not pushing the doors.

Activity Calendar - When we looked at Oakmont we loved the activity calendar. But when we moved my dad in, we found that many or most of the activities failed to meet our expectations. For instance, "Chair Exercises" was on the calendar. I attended one to find that they gathered the residents in front of the TV and played an exercise video! Nobody was exercising, and no staff were leading it or even encouraging people to participate.

Too many more to mention! - The list goes on. The laundry service turns the white clothing into pink clothing, and splashes bleach on the colored clothing. I would come into my dad's room in the middle of the day to find a used adult diaper on the floor. My dad would frequently be out of his room without his glasses on, even though he greatly needs them. Items would disappear from the room and go lost. Ugg, it was always something!

All of this is a shame because there are a some employees here who are absolutely fantastic. They try hard. Many are very very kind. But the corporate umbrella and high employee turnover rate over them makes their job really difficult. And the facility is beautiful. It really is a showcase. But, in total, it was not a good place for my dad.

It seems like this place has all the potential in the world. But, at least in our case, they really failed to live up to even a minimum level of care for my dad.

I did not like the apartments.

I did not like the apartments. They did not build the apartments to what would be necessary for her care. It was very, very expensive. I couldn't even get a price for the care that she would need. Unfortunately, it was not what I felt was appropriate.

Oakmont of Folsom is a premier senior living community situated on a beautifully landscaped campus. Developed by Oakmont Senior Living, Oakmont of Folsom provides exceptional quality, comfort and care with five star services and amenities. Other amenities include indoor and outdoor dining, a bistro, a theater, and a pet park.The choice of accommodations includes impeccably furnished studios and one-bedroom apartments for assisted living residents, and safe, secure studios and companion suites for memory care patients. Graciously appointed common areas offer residents the chance to participate in art, music, or fitness programs. Residents enjoy a rewarding lifestyle with individualized comprehensive support that promotes continuing independence.

Oakmont Senior Living is a recognized leader in the retirement industry, having planned and developed more than 30 retirement communities in the western United States. Our company is dedicated to hearing, understanding and responding to the needs of aging seniors. Our award winning communities and attentive staff ensure that your retirement years will be full of comfort and luxury. We are so very pleased to serve the Folsom community.