Oak Park Arms Retirement Community - Oak Park, IL

We were warmly welcomed by [Name removed] at this clean, historic hotel reconfigured for senior living. It is architecturally interesting, well located, and has an outstanding calendar of activities for the residents. We, however, were not comfortable using the stair lifts which we found complicated to operate and loud.

Clean Community, Wonderful Activities

Overall, I feel that our experience with Oak Park Arms has been very good. Communication between staff seems a bit lacking at times, but overall, they are excellent people. I appreciate that the community is kept very clean, and that there is a full schedule of activities going on to keep everyone busy. I would recommend Oak Park to others.

As Good As Can Be

Everything is going well for my parents. My mother-in-law is doing well and right now it's a day by day experience for us. I'm there almost everyday and I get to talk with the staff and they give me any updates. The community itself is really, really nice and clean.

We toured this community for my wife and me to move into for a nice. The staff was nice and we like the list of meals that are available. We wanted a bigger community. I feel that others might like what is offered. A tour is recommended for the options for a new place to live

My new home

I am happy that I moved into this great community. The staff is helpful and the community is clean. I am happy that I can cook for myself and that they have activities that I do enjoy. I like having family nearby. I would recommend others to this community for a great place to call home for a good value.

A great place

Dad is doing pretty good since moving into Oak Park. The staff are great. They check on him often, assist him and they work with us. They seem to really care about the residents. He enjoys the foods. The community is clean and they clean his apartment. They do his laundry and linens. They offer a ton of activities and he has started to participate in a few of them. This community is around the corner from the hospital and I would recommend it.

Lovely staff but the age of the building is hard to ignore

Oak Park had a very nice staff and they were friendly during our tour. I didn't like that it was an older building with dark, long hallways. It was clean but the building needs to be updated or rebuilt.

Beware of the Lease

Be careful before signing the lease. The management has you sign an addendum about medical care. If it is so important, put it in the lease. They conveniently left it out of the docs they copied for me, so I was operating without all the pertinent documents for six months.

If you or your loved one have a medical emergency that requires you to leave Oak Park Arms, they will charge you for two more months of rent. It doesn't matter that they can't provide adequate care, or if you have three medical professionals and all the 24/7 caregivers they required, who say the facility is not adequate for needed care. They even had the audacity to say that if my mother had died, they wouldn't have required the two extra months rent. I would have been better off under the lease, if my mother had DIED, in other words.

Furthermore, they will keep your security deposit without giving any itemized receipts of damage caused. They refused to return the deposit based on their guestimates of damage, and refused to work with the renter's insurance agent.

Lastly, they were unjustly enriched, because they rented the apartment while collecting rent from my mother.

They are nothing but moneygrubbers, always looking out for ways to get more from the tenants. They now require renters to do an automatic account withdrawal to get their rent more quickly and without the renter having control.

This review is about the management staff, not the people who actually do the work. They were very nice, sensitive people.

Highly professional staff at Oak Park Arms

This an older facility with an unexpected high level of maintenance and service. From the front desk and to the professional service staff to housekeeping staff, our family was warmly welcomed by people who bothered to remember our names.

My sister was in immediate need of an opening. The staff worked diligently with other social services to assure that she was transferred with most of her needs met or planned for. Thank you to Oak Park Arms.

My mother was at the Oak Park Arms for over a year. Having lived in that area for a major part of her life she was very excited to be able to go in that facility that she felt she was familiar with. She was in a beautiful nursing home in the western suburbs but wanted to transfer here.
When she first got there the staff was friendly, but over time my mother would complain about a couple of the staffers that were rude and mean to her. There were times she would be in tears. My family originally dealt with a manager there but shortly thereafter, we found out she was fired because of internal office politics and after that we were forced to deal with a very rude manager.
My mother became ill and needed more care in which she was transferred to another nursing home. My mother was at Oak Park arms for one day of a month before she was rushed to the hospital and Oak park arms demanded the full month payment. Not to mention even after the month was paid we needed to move her things out and they were trying to rush us. I let them know we had 30 days left to move.
My family also paid an extra month prior to knowing my mother would have to move, and even after my mother passed away it took us over six months to get a refund. It took several calls and letters to finally receive the money that was owed her family.
We felt it was very unfair for this nursing home to sit on money needed to pay for many things for my mother and the length of time it took to get the refund was ridiculous.
I realize nursing homes are a business but my family and I felt this one was all about the money.

Ruby's Respite Residence

My mother was well pleased with her stay at Oak Park Arms. The staff was friendly and very helpful. Plan to use their services again in the near future

a lot of activities

Oak Park Arms Retirement Community has a lot of activities and a lot to do to keep people busy. I really appreciate that about this facility. My mother-in-law can get physical therapy and whatever care she needs there. It's a lot more reasonably priced than any other facility around. I am really pleased with everything here.

No Criticisms

I do not really have any criticisms at this point. The only thing I would say is if they could keep in touch maybe a little bit more. Otherwise the place is gorgeous and the people are wonderful and the food is good.

Homey, lots of activities and exercise, accommodating, personal level of care

I think that what stood out there was the personal level of care, where everything is based on personal needs. It isn't that you get certain standard things per level of care.

The staffing were very friendly and very welcoming. They were very accomodating, as for instance when we moved our friend in at 6:00 on a Friday night.

The atmosphere is very welcoming and inviting, and homey. Some places we looked at were beautiful and looked like like five star hotels, and that isn't homey.

They have all sorts of activities, such as yoga, tai chi, board games, wii, movie nights, yoga.

I don't have enough experience to rate them on care.

A warm, wonderful, caring place...

...with lots to do for EVERYONE! It is more than the rooms, facilities and decor that make up a wonderful place for seniors...it is about the staff and leadership. Oak Park Arms has all of this and more. Everyone on the staff--from the waitresses in the restaurant to the senior management staff--is caring and loving without being intrusive. They know all the residents by name and even remember their family members' names and their likes and dislikes. They are encouraging without being pushy. There are activities for every interest. Most of all, you feel the family atmosphere from the moment you walk in. Nurses, laundry, entertainment, a beauty shop and a barber are all within the building. And the Arms is part of the Oak Park community, often inviting groups--from kids dance recitals to professional performers-- to use its ballroom for events. This brings the "outside in" for the residents to enjoy. They also offer many bus trips around the area or for personal trips to the doctor, stores or banks.

I can't say enough good things about this wonderful place!

We toured the facility on S...

We toured the facility on Saturday this is in the running at the moment.

Wasn't the best equipped for more assistance

This was independent living, moderately assisted lviing and it probably wasn't enough for her there but she was out of a hospital discharge and it was close to the hospital where she was discharged. We didn't know where this was going, it was a night and day type thing. She was probably there for 3 months on a trial period and they would have to prompt her quite a bit, help her with her bathroom needs and showering. Part of the problem was it's an older building so they probably didn't have the best set up for he. The shower had a ledge you had to step over instead of being able to roll a wheelchair in and things like that.

Be very carefull they have very quest...

Be very carefull they have very questionable business practices. When I took my complaint to the BBB they simply refused to respond I presently have filed a fraud complaint with the Illinois state attorney general.

Loved it!

Loved it!

Concerns are: security due to pu...

Concerns are: security due to public access to residential floors. generally a positive experience...nice bright apts.;common rooms small and dark.

This place is WONDERFUL and my first ...

This place is WONDERFUL and my first choice.

Built as a luxury hotel in 1922, the Oak Park Arms retained the original charm of the grand hotels of the 20th century. The apartments, Ballroom, Georgian Room Restaurant, Lounge, and meeting rooms have been renovated on an on-going basis. A rental retirement community for 26 years, the Oak Park Arms offers a variety of apartments and private furnished suites. When your physician directs assistance with activities of daily living, rest assured that your needs can be met by our staff 24 hours a day. Bathing assistance, medication reminders, meals, laundry, housekeeping and activities are included in the monthly fee for Assisted Living. The Senior Citizens’ Center of Oak Park and River Forest Medical offices are on-site, as well as Oak Park Township Senior Services. Resurrection Health Care’s West Suburban Caring Center is located in the building. It’s All at the Arms!