Morningside of College Park - Indianapolis, IN

Really liked this place. Apartments are very good sized. Great closets. extra storage available. Not a licensed assisted living facility but has partnership with Great Lakes for skilled nursing care. Adheres to aging in place philosophy. Dining room was bright, attractive. good food choices. Activities are things that appeal to M&D. I liked the location--nice views, green spaces. Walking path around a lake. Good sized balcony/patio for every apartment.

Administrator was too pushy

While I was touring this facility, the administrator was very pushy in getting me to sign a contract that day. I felt more like I was signing for a car. I just felt very pressured into signing. The place was very nice and the apartments were huge. I took my mom to see them and the apartments were more than what she needed. While on the tour I found out that this is not an assisted living facility but it is actually independent living with skilled nursing that you have to buy. I also found out that if my Mother were to fall, only the skilled nursing staff is able to help her. The activities they offered were more for independent residents who are able to get up and move around. I did sign a contract that day for a room but fortunately, I was able to get out of it because the room was not available. I just felt really nervous because she was pushing me to sign something. If you are looking at this facility, you need to understand and do research about it. I would not recommend this facility to people who need assisted living.

Not what we expected

We can't recommend the memory care facility at Morningside and feel compelled to share our bad experience.

My father stayed for five days this year in January at a cost of more than $12,000 -- part of which was charged with payment required on the spot as my dad was moved out of the facility. Then, as we tried to leave, staff insisted we stay in the room while a tour for a potential client was taking place.

Worse, over that five days, my dad's health declined. He lost weight and did not take some of his medications. Staff does not monitor or document how much food has been eaten or whether a resident has taken meals. Residents are not escorted to meals if they fail to show up. Also, policies in place allowed my father to say he didn't want to take his medication. Then, that was it. He didn't have to take it. We were unaware of any practices or policies in place to coax residents to eat or take medicines. In fact, documentation overall seemed sparse and incomplete.

We also were concerned with what appeared to be low staffing levels. We had trouble finding staff to talk with and had a considerable wait when we requested information. Routinely during my father's stay, the front desk was not manned during evening visiting hours. We had difficulty leaving as no one would be around to let us out. Wait times to be let out were long. One night, we had to call Morningside with our cell phone to request to leave.

Months later, we discovered a [Removed] charge to Medicare and our insurance company charging for a doctor visit at Morningside for my dad dated three months after he left. We reported this to Medicare and our insurance company. We also hired an attorney after Morningside would not entertain our request to refund even a portion of the charges. Have an attorney review the contract to be sure you are receiving the services you think you are getting and that your family's interests are protected.

Finally, take a look at the state of Indiana's inspections of the facility from 2016 at: [removed]

Things Are Going Okay

My dad is doing ok since moving here a little over a month ago. He isn't liking the food, not a good variety. The staff is friendly and kind. They keep the community clean and well maintained. They offer activities but dad isn't participating in anything

Wonderful Place!

We couldn't have made a better choice for my Mom. Very, very nice and wonderful staff. Everyone there is so welcoming to my family whenever we come to visit. My Mom is not the easiest person to get along with and the staff is very understanding and accommodating to her needs. There are lots of activities for the residents to participate in, they can't get bored. The food is fantastic they provide a wonderful variety to choose from. I haven't dined there yet but my sister has had the pleasure to dine with my Mom on several occasions. The dining room has a three seasons choice of seating. The community provides inviting outdoor amenities for relaxing inside the gazebo or enjoy the seating provided for gazing at the beautiful lake view. We feel Mom is in a very safe and secure environment. I would definitely recommend Morningside of College Park to all of my friends and family.

Friendly and Knowledgeable

The staff gave a wonderful tour of the community. They were very friendly and knowledgeable. It just was not as bright and did not provide the comfortable feel we were looking for in a community for my parents.

Family Atmosphere

The memory care staff is caring and compassionate at Morningside. My parents have been residents for a few months now. Staff turnover is low so residents, aides, and nurses treat each other like family. Nursing shifts and aide shifts are different hours so there is overlap and good communication. Activities are on time and there is music and exercise. A nurse practioner experienced with dementia comes twice a week with therapy five days a week for my folks. No place is perfect but Morningside meets my parent's dietary and comfort needs and they seem pretty happy here. If I have concerns, the director of nursing is available to discuss and address any issues. The room and common areas are kept clean compared to their previous memory care place.

Older Facility, But Nice Tour Overall

I had a nice tour of this community. Everything went well for the most part. From what I saw the community looked nice, and clean. The staff was nice, and our questions were answered. The room they showed me was awkwardly arranged, and I didn't mother would be able to navigate around easy with her walker. It was a nice experience, but it wasn't the right fit for my mother.

A high priced community

We did not have a good experience when we visited this community. They would not show us around as they said mom did not make enough to afford this community. We asked to see an apartment and they said it would be a waste of time due to her finances.

A clean place!

I also toured Morning Side of College Park, and I thought it was a nice community. The place was clean and maintained well. The tour guide was knowledgeable and friendly, we got all of the information that we needed. It was a good place but just not what we were looking for.

Excellent Meals!!

My mother was only at this community for a short period of time but while she was there I was pleased with the experience she had. She was very impressed with the meals they provided for her as well as the dinning experience. There was also a noticeable change in her strength that I had noticed after working with a physical therapist during the duration of her stay. They have lovely common area for the residents to enjoy as well as a fire place to keep them warm. Overall great place.

Not pleased at all!

I am not happy at all with this community. My mom has been yelled at by these aides here. They also do not take care of her at all. She wears glasses and they are never on when I visit. When I said something the staff looked at me and said that they did not know that she wore glasses. Every time she goes to the bathroom there is no toilet paper. The food is awful there is not enough flavor and the mashed potatoes were lumpy. The only reason we went here is because my brother picked it and his friend referred it.

We placed my mother-in-law at Morningside after living with us for 4 years. We could no longer care for her at home. As we all adjust to this change in our lives, the place is great and very helpful to us.

Please avoid this facility

Please avoid placing your loved one in this facility. My family member has been here for approximately six months in the dementia facility. We have had to beg for housekeeping - simple things like liners in the trash cans that contain the wet Depends, replacement of toilet paper when depleted. We've asked for three weeks to have his room swept with pieces of pretzel and dust bunnies under beds. Toilet went weeks without being cleaned. When residents go to breakfast they are locked out of their rooms. If they go back to their rooms they have to know and remember to ask to be let in. Once in, the door is locked so that it takes a key to get you in - don't know what would happen in case of a fire and all the residents behind locked doors could not be accessed easily. A great wheelchair was ordered and marked with dad's name - this has gone missing and we have had no assistance with its replacement despite multiple contacts with the administrator. There are no wheelchairs on the premises that are readily available with foot rests so taking the resident out of the building is problematic. When we ask about this we just get shoulder shrugs. We had to ask for over three weeks to get lab results. A week ago I was informed by nursing staff that they were short-handed and they had a ratio of 27 patients to 2 nursing assistants. This was on day shift. The room and bathroom reeks of urine from clothing left in room for days at a time between laundry. There is no abuse of patients that we witness, but this neglect has taken its toll on the resident and the family.

Safe Community!!

I would highly recommend this place to family and friends . I am very pleased with the care they have been providing for my loved one. The staff try for my mother to engage in activities in a level of comfort for her. She has participated in a few of the activities when family goes to visit her and she likes them.

Take a tour!

Morning side of College Park is a nice community. We were pleased with the variety of amenities offered. They have a wide range of activities available for the residents to enjoy. The staff were very knowledgeable and addressed all of my questions. The community is very well kept and clean throughout.

Be Prepared to Be Your Loved One's Advocate!

My father has been a resident on the memory care unit for a month now. We are pleased with the placement and he is happy and involved in the activities. The first few weeks were difficult as it wasn't clear what the expectations were for his care. Family members often found him unshaven, with missing shoes, teeth not brushed and his room in disarray. During his second week he had a fall and was found in his bed with bruising (but luckily no fracture). We have had conference calls with the administration and staff and found them to be very responsive and not defensive. On their last visit, family members found Dad clean shaven, with shoes on (which will hopefully reduce risk of more falls) and happily engaging in activities. It really is important to visit often and share feedback and concerns, especially for loved ones with dementia.

Andy Blalock

Thank you for sharing this information we take your feedback very seriously. Your Fathers care and your satisfaction is our top priority. I apologize that we dropped the ball as that is highly unusual for this team. Your father is now part of the MorningSide Family we appreciate your patience with us. Please feel free to reach out to our Executive Director Jo Cowan if you ever have concerns in the future.

Review of Morningside of College Park Alzheimer's / Memory Care in Indianapolis, IN

The direci tor was very nice. But unfortunly they do not take Medicaid.

Andy Blalock

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to discuss your needs if you need suggestions on communities that take Medicaid let us know we would be happy to make a referral to one of our partners

Porch on every room

Mom like location, and liked that no matter what room she gets it would have a porch, kitchen to cook her own food, possibility of a bird feeder...

This community jas been a true blessi...

This community jas been a true blessing for my mother and our entire family! The peace of mind that I have since my mother moved in there one and half yeats ago is invaluable. The staff is responsive and cares for each resident as they would for their own families.

NIce units on memory care. ...

NIce units on memory care. Question why it is not full? Only 1/2 of the beds are taken. Facility is very nice but the area for interaction and activities seems very tight and small. Price is reasonable and comparable to Hearth

So far after a little over a week. Mo...

So far after a little over a week. Mom adjusting well.
Staff in memory care area seem attentive and communicate current status.
Care seems to be with resident best interests.
Food very good.

Andy Blalock

Thank you for your note we value your feedback, please let us know if we can be of further assistance. We appreciate your entrusting your mom to our care.

Comfortable Atmosphere

During the tour, I was impressed by the comfortable atmosphere of the facility.
The size of my Mom's room is ABOVE average considering the price offered.
Their dining area is also huge and is decorated beautifully. They have a wide variety of food which my Mom and I think is very tasty.
The staff of Morningside is very friendly and accommodating.
The reason I gave 4 and 1/2 stars out of 5 for activities is my Mom has not participated in any activities as she is still getting acclimated to her new surroundings. However, Morningside do offer a lot of things to do for our senior loved ones.
Overall, my Mom have no complaints and I feel good knowing that she is in a place that she gets the help she needs and is safe.

I liked this very much, but...

I liked this very much, but with reservations. Memory care is very nice, but as of the moment, having JUST opened, very empty. Assisted care is unlicensed, which may be okay. Surroundings are a bit dated, but love the staff, who seem very dedicated. The manager called after my visit to connect, saying that she'd known Dad when she was in banking, and to tell me that there is a culture of art there, and one Hoosier Salon Artist.

Perfect for our needs!

MorningSide has been a wonderful place for my parents. After much shopping around, It's the only place where they could get 3 meals a day (food is good, with plenty of variety), "assistance" could come to their apartment (instead of someone moving to a separate assisted living bldg.), full kitchen (that doesn't compete with living room space) lots of closet/storage space in the apartment (as well as a storage unit in the basement), and the activities calendar is beyond compare. The best thing about it is the care and concern that the staff has for the residents. They truly care and you can tell. I know my folks are safe there and reaction time to falls (they've had a couple) has been within 3 minutes - usually 30 seconds. Once, after my mother fell and hit her head, we got back from the ER and the CNAs were knocking at the door to see how she was before we had a chance to take our coats off. They wanted to know if would we like to have them check on her every hour through the night to make sure she's okay. Apparently, that's their policy for everyone for the 1st night back from a hospital visit - no charge. Of course I said "YES!". What peace of mind that gave me!
I've recommended Morningside to others, and will continue to do so. Call Marty Peters and make an appointment for a tour!

Toured memory care facility...

Toured memory care facility and assisted living facility with Marty Peters. The memory care is most appropriate for my mother. This is a newly renovated area in a facility that has been previously used for assisted living. It is not yet occupied, but 6-7 residents will be moved within the next few weeks. I was told the residents will be high functioning, and are currently living in the assisted living section of the community. The facility is attractive and spacious I was told the staff to resident ratio would be high enough for a lot of personalized attention. The rooms were single rooms that would be furnished by the residents. All services are included in the fees. The residents who choose to would be taken on outings to restaurants and other activities and will have access to activities outside the memory care facility. Would like to see it after residents have moved in.

Dad loved it here!

My father lived in this community for a few years before his care needs advanced beyond what they were able to provide. We would have really liked for him to be able to stay here, but they were not able to handle his memory care issues.
It's a nice looking place, and it had a great atmosphere. The residents were friendly, and it was a very diverse community.
The care itself could use a bit of improvement, they always seemed a little short on nursing staff, and they had a very high turnover rate for their aides.

Andy Blalock

Thank you for your feedback it is your comments that help us improve. We have heard you loud and clear and have added staffing to the Memory Care community we have also added Great Lakes Cares Campus Care services for our residents needing assisted living services. The Campus Care program has allowed us to welcome seniors with higher care needs as well as keep our current seniors in their homes much longer. Thanks again for allowing us to serve your family!

no memory care but possibility since ...

no memory care but possibility since assistance add-ons & very reasonable.

Andy Blalock

We appreciate your feedback if we can be of further assistance please let us know we are here to assist.

Not preferred for Independent Living,...

Not preferred for Independent Living, but may consider for Assisted Living for another relative needing to move to Indianapolis.

Andy Blalock

Thank you for your feedback if we can be of assistance in the future please let us know we are here to help.

At MorningSide you will enjoy an elegant apartment home designed for both style and convenience, surrounded with the luxuries of a fine resort.

All apartments feature a private patio or balcony with panoramic view. White glove services include: Newspapers delivered to your door, individually locked mailboxes, 24-hour maintenance and front desk staffing, and for your peace of mind, an emergency call system.

The apartments are fire and sound resistant. Elevators are conveniently located in the main lobby and each wing. Additional storage areas are provided for MorningSide residents at no additional charge. Garages are available. Scheduled transportation is provided for doctor’s appointments, trips to banks, shopping and social outings.

You will enjoy the companionship of neighbors and the many scheduled activities planned by our full-time social director. At MorningSide you may take advantage of every conceivable convenience, including Game Room and Mini Theater with big screen TV, Green Thumb room for storing plants over the winter, Library, Chapel, Crafts Room, Beauty Salon, Gift Shop, a Private Dining Room for family and friends, plus many other amenities.

At MorningSide we provide “Service Because We Care”.