Maplewood at Chardon- Chardon, OH

Maplewood Exceeded My Expectations

My mom was in the Memory Care Unit at Maplewood for five months after having been at another nursing facility for three years. What a difference in the care she received! Maplewood embraced her the moment she walked through the door until the end of her life. They encouraged her to participate in activities, taking her on the bus to the Cleveland Aquarium, the Nautica Queen, the County fair, Deer Park and other places. She went from sitting in her room (at the other facility) to fully participating in life. She began smiling and eating once again. She was well-taken care of, both physically and mentally, and the staff at Maplewood treated her with kindness and respect. No facility can provide the same amount/type of care a family can, but Maplewood comes close.

A Kind and Caring Staff

We have been very pleased with our mother's care at Maplewood of Chardon. My mom has been at Maplewood for almost a year and a half. All of the staff have been friendly, helpful, professional, and caring from Day 1. Everyone has treated my mom with kindness and respect. The nursing staff has always been very responsive to any questions or concerns that I have. I live out-of-town, and the on-duty nurse always calls me with updates whenever my mom is ill or is feeling poorly. The facility is clean, fresh, and inviting and is filled with light from the many windows and skylights. There are many interesting activities and outings for those who wish to participate. I would highly recommend Maplewood at Chardon for anyone looking for a quality assisted living facility for their loved one.

Wonderful Facility

My mom was at Maplewood for only 6 months, but during that time it was as close to being at home as one could expect. From the director, to the nurses and aids, Mom received excellent care and lots of love. The facility was always kept clean, as was Mom's apartment. The courtyard is beautiful with trees, flowers, and a waterfall. Mom loved siting there in the sunshine last summer. There are many activities for the residents ranging from group outings to different events on site. One of our favorites was Happy Hour! As good as the staff is at Maplewood, family must be involved, they can't do everything. Mom was well taken care of right to the end, at 94 it was her time, and we received lots of support as well. I would highly recommend Maplewood at Chardon to anyone looking for a place to care for their loved one.

Wonderful home for my mom

My mother lived here for 2 years. She was very well cared for by a gentle and caring staff. She made nice friends and the activities were good. The staff is friendly and very helpful from the front desk, the van driver to the caregivers and assistants. We were very happy with the care and the kindness presented to my mother. I would highly recommend Maplewood of Chardon to anyone looking for dementia care for their loved one. We moved my mother from another place, which gave terrible care, so we were especially pleased at the level of care at Maplewood. We were able to have Hospice care in the end and keep my mother in her "home". Great place.

MANY THANKS

Maplewood Staff:

About eighteen months ago, unexpected circumstances brought us to Maplewood. Within three days of being informed that [Removed] would need to go to a care facility and not return home, we found a home for him here. The day I walked in to await his arrival, I felt the friendliness and warmth and as the relationship continued I watched hardworking people who love the residents Maplewood Staff:
About eighteen months ago, unexpected circumstances brought us to Maplewood. Within three days of being informed that [Removed] would need to go to a care facility and not return home, we found a home for him here. The day I walked in to await his arrival, I felt the friendliness and warmth and as the relationship continued I watched hardworking people who love the residents for whom they care - observing how all of you worked together, doing anything that needs to be done to provide this care. From administrators to housekeeping, nursing/aides to maintenance, all of you are willing to do whatever is needed to provide a quality compassionate residence - a loving "home".
My heart was broken when I found that [Removed] was going to Columbus, broken because he would be gone, essentially out of my life, because he was losing his home again and all of his support but also, selfishly, because I won't get to see all of you every day - you and the other residents I've come to care about. I have enormous respect and affection for all of you. There is a saying that has meaning for me, “Many people will walk through your life, but only some will leave footprints on your heart." You are those people - your footprints are on my heart and I know on Ang's, too.
My "attendance" everyday gave me the opportunity to see all the things you do and my admiration and appreciation grew with the knowledge. Just dealing with dementia is a task in itself, but all of you go so far beyond that. Thank you all for a job well done, for loving and taking care of [Removed] and for being a friend to me.

With Gratitude and Appreciation,

[Removed]

A major disappointment

My mother lived there for 7yrs. She had dietary restrictions which no one seemed to be able to follow. This difficulty had painful consequences. The food itself was below standards. The room cleaning was subpar along with a continuous ant problem. The activities were not done well if at all. The organization of these so called activities were extremely poor. Most of the aids were ill trained and fairly incompetent. Overall her time there when it was owned by previous owners was fine. The new owners are only interested in cashing the residents cheeks not the residents.

Andrea Ellen Keigan

I'm so sorry to learn about your experience at our Chardon community. I urge you to call me at 203/604/5617 or write to me at [removed] so we can learn more from you and allow us to rectify.

Best regards,

Andrea S. Ellen
Vice President
Maplewood Senior Living
[removed]

PGF'Sreview

I have lived at Maplewood now for about eight months and I have had nothing but a positive reaction to the atmosphere here.

the staff go out of their way to be helpful . Sure sometimes there are small problems but that happens anywhere..I like it here and I intend to stay.

Andrea Ellen Keigan

So pleased to read your recent review. Thank you for sharing your feedback and experiences.

Our loved ones home at Maplewood, Chardon.

we just can't say enough about the staff at Maplewood from top management down through the guys that change light bulbs!
their compassion, caring and attention to our loved ones needs are so important to us as the family of a resident for over 11 years now.
the facility is beautiful inside and out from the cleanliness of hallways, rooms and common areas to the landscaping.
the food service staff do a fantastic job providing GOOD meals prepared from locally grown / raised sources.
a wide range of activities are offered daily from musical programs to local sight seeing trips.

Andrea Ellen Keigan

Thank you for your recent review for our Chardon community. Please continue to stay in touch with us to provide us with feedback.

Mom and Family Well Being has Improved.

After our father passed away, we had concerns about our mother living alone. After Mom spent several years taking care of her mother, she vowed never to put her children through that. Assisted living became our goal. We (siblings) toured several of the same facilities SEPARATELY. We then compared notes and amazingly had the same feedback on each. Maplewood was by far our #1 choice.

Maplewood does not look or smell like an institution. It looks like a lodge. The apartment fronts look like individual home fronts, not an apartment or hotel hallway. The fireplaces, decor, woodwork make it warm and inviting. The landscape is very nice and kept up. This is all a major plus which makes our Mom feel comfortable.

The Maintenance Department is amazing. It seems to be a one man show (Jason). I have brought up concerns or needs to Jason and I have always been amazed how quickly and accurately he gets things done. He is a tremendous asset to the facility.

The professional staff (Nurses, Chef, Activity Staff) and the non-Professional (Housekeeping, aides, reception) are all wonderful. Our Mom is amazed how everyone knows her name and greets her. They treat her very well and her spirits are almost always very good. The staff treat the family with great respect and concern. They call with issues when appropriate, and are always accommodating and open when we call them with a question or concern.

Maplewood was a perfect option for us. The siblings all lived about 30 miles away. We'd worry so much, and Mom's age was certainly having an affect on her lifestyle. Moving her to Maplewood was a great change for all of us. Mom is active, socializing, and watched over with all of her special needs in mind. We can now be family again, instead of caregivers from a distance.

The only negatives in our minds are the high costs and the corporate feel on the business side. The old saying that "you get what you pay for" applies here. We would rather pay less, but the care we get makes us feel it is worth it. With these costs, you cannot just say "anything for Mom". We did our homework, reviewed finances and made the decision.

The other item is dealing with the business side. After settling in, we noticed a change in the corporate atmosphere that we did not feel in the first 6 months to a year. There was definitely a change at the corporate level to a more profit oriented goal.

With all items considered, over almost 2 years, we are thrilled with Maplewood. Mom is now 93 and doing wonderfully. The staff is awesome and we enjoy any interaction with them. We no longer have to worry about Mom day to day with fear she fell or worse, when she did not answer phone.

The best around

My father was here for two years after two years of living in our home with my wife and I.

Facilities are lovely, staff friendly and competent and other residents pleasant and easy to get along with.

One of the things that made this such a good fit is they have three different levels of service for people in different stages of their lives with different levels of need. Obviously different levels of cost also. My father, as he digressed, went from a minimally assisted level to one where he needed more care and was moved very thoughtfully with no trauma to him.

Luckily this facility is close to our home and I was able to visit him almost every day. Because of that I established good relationships with the staff and residents there and now volunteer there on a regular basis. If I did not like the facility or the staff, that never would have been an option.

All that being said, the best facility is one where you are able to visit your loved one regularly. In spite of my great opinion of Maplewod at Chardon there was the occasional problem (as there will be at the best of facilities) and the staff was always willing to listen to my concerns and rectify them. When I had an issue I could talk to the aides, nursing director or executive director and expect them to be accessible and concerned and do their best to fix the problem.

We had had my father in few other facilities for short term holiday stays in Geauga county before moving him into the Maplewood and this is indeed the best of the bunch.

This is the place!

I hope that when I am in the same circumstance as my mother, I can live at Maplewood in Chardon!

When my mother, with memory loss, needed to move away from her home, I had thought that a very small, home-like, environment would be best, with fewer than 5 other residents. We tried that. But then we moved to Maplewood. This is far, far better! She has her own "apartment" which is her private bedroom and a bathroom shared with one suite mate.

But my mother would rather be in the bright spacious and interesting common area with her neighbors.

The staff are all angels. Not only do the employees giving direct care know their residents, but I am often surprised to hear the housekeeping or dietary staff greet residents by name.

In the rare circumstance when I have had a concern with care, staff and management have listened to my concerns and considered my point of view. That's all anyone wants. To have a collaborative relationship with the people giving care to your loved one.

I would heartily recommend Maplewood to anyone at any level of aging, and especially to those with declining memory.

You get what you pay for!!!

If you're considering Assisted Living, then I encourage you to take a tour with [Removed]. These two led the way with our family's initial tour, etc. They both are fantastic to work with, helpful and extremely friendly. This same great attitude is shared by the entire staff - nurses, front desk, housekeeping, kitchen personnel, etc. EVERYONE who works there are very patient and accommodating to the residences and guests! They're very attentive to any concerns you have regarding the special needs your loved one may require. We have one in Vistas and one in Tides, and the level of care is great in both areas! I know you can find less expensive facilities, but I'm not so sure you can find one that provides the level of care that they provide!

Andrea Ellen Keigan

So pleased that you had a positive experience at Maplewood at Chardon. Thank you for taking the time to inform other prospective families about your experience. Please continue to provide us feedback in the future, including in person with Kevin and team.

Poor management

Deep disappointment with site manager [Removed]. His disrespect towards our mom was shameful. After 7 years there we moved her out becaus of his callus behavior focused solely on profit and not on compassion and care.

Andrea Ellen Keigan

Thank you for your recent communication. I am sorry to learn about your recent experience. I am happy to discuss this with you further if you'd care to do so. I can be reached at 203/604/5617 or [removed].

Nice Executive Director, My Tour Went Well

I had a very good tour of this community. The executive director was very kind and helpful. The community looked great, everything was very well maintained. The staff was kind and friendly. The room they showed us was nice looking, and it even had a patio. It was a good experience.

Andrea Ellen Keigan

We are glad you had a good experience. Thank you for your review. Please come back and visit us again soon.

Was great when we moved in. Going on two years.

This is NOT AN ALZHEIMERS FACILITY. It is Independent Living AT BEST. There is no follow through on individual care. Staff "AIDS" are lacking in experience and training. There is only ONE nurse in the building only at given times. No follow through on resident issues. Services provided is a huge "grey area".

Nice place, overall

They do a great job at Maplewood at Heather Hill, I'd give them top marks across the board! The staff here are friendly and helpful, and they are very very good with the residents. They form a real personal bond with the people that they take care of. The facility itself is attractive and clean, and the food has always looked good. I would highly recommend this place!

Our Family's Experience at Maplewood at Heather Hill, Chardon, Ohio

I have the highest praise for the Maplewood at Heather Hill facility and its staff. The facility is beautiful – homelike, scrupulously clean, inviting, filled with natural light. There are many different areas where the residents can gather and relax – great room, library, greenhouse, garden, and chapel. The apartments are beautifully decorated, with high ceilings, and additionally, each resident has their own dear little interior porch, where the residents can express individual interests and personalities. The dining room is lovely, and the members of our family join our mother there frequently – delicious, healthy food; attentive servers; and the chef will share her recipes!

The administrative staff has been amazing – every request, question, email responded to immediately. Move-in was smooth and relatively easy because of their attention to detail. The Executive Director, Kevin Cook, and the Community Relations Director, Pattie Glavac, are present and involved with the residents on a daily basis, and they both work so hard to make the holiday celebrations special, along with Dimitra Thompson, the Program Director, who has many different activities scheduled daily. Dimitra’s guest lecturers and performers in the cultural/arts areas are often quite incredible – people you would not expect to encounter in an assisted living facility!

I must also compliment the receptionists – they set a positive tone for every visit with their warm welcome. The cleaning and maintenance personnel are so helpful, and they are there almost immediately when a problem arises.

I hardly know how to thank the multitude of nurses and aides who care for my mother. Her move from independent living to assisted living was sudden - precipitated by an accident - and she has had a difficult time adjusting to her new situation. Every nurse and aide has been unbelievably patient and supportive. My mom cannot walk halfway down the hall without someone stopping to give her a hug, and they truly listen when she talks about her feelings; yet they are firmly encouraging as they help her, and our family, integrate Mom into the Maplewood community.

My entire family has been so happy with the Maplewood experience, and we are so grateful for all everyone does to help my mother, and our family, transition to this new phase in our lives. They definitely deliver on The Maplewood Promise!

Andrea Ellen Keigan

We are so pleased with your feedback and appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your mother's experience at our community. It is always nice to read about the positive experiences our residents -- and their families -- have on an everyday basis. Please feel free to continue to reach out and discuss your experiences with us. We are always here to listen and help, including if there are areas we can improve. Thank you again for your feedback. We are continually inspired by our residents each and every day.

The lobby had the appearanc...

The lobby had the appearance of a 4-star hotel, quite lovely, but patient rooms were less nice than some of the other places I looked at.

My sister & I toured Maplew...

My sister & I toured Maplewood with the thought of moving our mother from Baton Rouge. We were very impressed and sure my mother would be well cared for there. We loved it; beautiful inside and out. Staff seems very caring. I would recommend in a heartbeat.

I like the floorplan it's all one level and the circle design is nice.

They could do a little more with the variety, of the activities. The food would get a 4, sometimes things aren't always hot. There is a new chef so that may improve. They have been very efficient, I really have no complaints. I like the floorplan it's all one level and the circle design is nice. In the center they have a very nice garden area that is outdoors and very large. All the rooms have a window that looks to the outside. It's nice too that the inside looks like the outside with porches in front of every door. Some rooms that open outside have a patio, and everyroom has a private bedroom and bath with a kitchenette/living area.

Andrea Ellen Keigan

Thank you so much for your review and for your feedback. We would love to know any suggestions you have in terms what your love one would like to participate in for engagement and recreational opportunities. We encourage you to speak with our Executive Director Chris W, and provide him with the suggestions so your love one is stimulated and happy. Yes, we are working to improve our overall dining experience and welcome your continued feedback. Please stay tuned for some upcoming improvements which will be happening in the coming weeks! I'm so glad you enjoy the outdoor spaces, including our garden area and outdoor patios. We strive to improve Maplewood at Heather Hill and appreciate your thoughts.

Maplewood at Heather Hill provides a healthy, invigorating environment for all seniors, as well as specialized assistance for those in need of memory care. The heart of Maplewood is embodied through an approach to assisted living that offers premier care to seniors who need some support in their everyday lives. For residents showing early signs of memory loss, Maplewood provides a safe environment in which to live a life of supported independence. Maplewood also offers a secure, emotion-based philosophy that helps residents with more advanced memory loss continue to enjoy life to their maximum potential.

Maplewood at Heather Hill exudes small town charm and a down-to-earth feel at every turn. From the moment residents and guests enter the main lobby, they'll feel the warm glow and welcoming spirit of a lodge - with a majestic stone fireplace serving as the centerpiece. It is easy to feel right at home in our spacious one-bedroom apartments that are designed specifically to suit the needs of older adults. Each is beautifully appointed with an interior porch that overlooks an enclosed courtyard and state-of-the-art safety features. Maplewood at Heather Hill has Lifestyle Suites which allow two individual residents to share an apartment (while enjoying their own private bedroom), and receive all the benefits of living at Maplewood with a significant cost saving. Though Maplewood is buzzing with activity, there are plenty of comfortable spots for families to gather such as our on-site bistro and a greenhouse with its very own Mourning dove.

Located in Geauga County, approximately 25 miles east of Cleveland, Maplewood is close by Sand Ridge Golf Club, in the charming town of Chardon, just minutes to downtown. Please view our brochure and call Maplewood at Heather Hill today to schedule your personalized tour.